Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Beach House Storm Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Fire HD Kids Edition Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Gear Up for Football Deal of the Day
Profile for bummster > Reviews

Browse

bummster's Profile

Customer Reviews: 62

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

bummster "bummster" RSS Feed (Chicago, IL USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
ET-65B Dedicated Altura Photo Lens Hood for Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO-IS USM, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lenses (Canon ET-65B Replacement)
Offered by Digital Goja
Price: $8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars It twist locks just like it should, June 5, 2015
I picked up a ET-68B version of this hood for a Canon 70-300 IS F4-5.6 lens. It fits well and is a bayonet mount. No finicky adapters or what not. It twist locks just like it should. It's not overly tight and requires just the right amount of effort to put on and off the lens when compared to the hoods for my 4 other lenses. The inside of the hood is not flocked with felt like a Canon hood would be. The inner surface appears to be just a bit more matte than the outer surface finish. If the inner finish was very matte or flocked, it would be a five star rating.

One thing to note, the hood will not fit inside a Tamrac MX5378 Large lens case (http://www.amazon.com/Tamrac-M-A-S-Large-Black-MX5378/dp/B00009UTQK).
Comment Comment | Permalink

Shop Vac Vacuum (4 Pack) 2-1/2" Threaded Hose End # SVR-4515-4pk
Shop Vac Vacuum (4 Pack) 2-1/2" Threaded Hose End # SVR-4515-4pk
Offered by Just Vacuum
Price: $16.00
2 used & new from $7.86

4.0 out of 5 stars They don't swivel., March 23, 2015
Worked great on my 2.5" dust collection hoses. The fit is nice and snug. I didn't bother using a hose clamp. Its not going anywhere. These do not swivel like other hose ends. Could be a deal breaker for some, but it was fine for my needs as I don't need the hose to move once in place.

Replacement Black Polyurethane Link Bracelet Band 22mm for Luminox 3000 and 3900 Series Watches
Offered by Watch Experts
Price: $32.95
3 used & new from $30.64

4.0 out of 5 stars A good replacement for the LG G watch (square), February 18, 2015
I used this band to replace the one that came with a square faced LG G watch. It fits great and I feel not only looks better but is more functional as well. The condition of the band itself was fine with one caveat. The stainless clasp on mine had quite a few scuffs. It would have scuffed over time as well as I'm quite hard on watches (clumsy). But, it should be noted. Your copy may not come pristine out of the package.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Logitech Rechargeable Touchpad T650 with Windows 8 Multi-Touch Navigation - Black
Offered by High End Tech
Price: $31.99
47 used & new from $16.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice to have, be sure to update your firmware., September 23, 2014
Update: SeriousDeals I have to say, has been pretty nice to deal with. Once the ball was rolling that they had incorrectly labeled stock in Amazon's pipeline, they stopped the presses and started making things right. I talked to them on the phone and they wanted to make sure I was happy too. Can't beat good customer service with good communication channels. Its rare... Pulled the images I posted. No point in them now.

original review:
Just some alternate feedback. Bought one from SeriousDeals and got what is clearly a refurb product. Image has been posted as well.

Other than that, I do like the device. Having recently purchased two of these now, I will say that everyone should update their firmware on their T650. A snippet from the logitech website is below. Both the new and the clearly not new copies had older firmware on them. I use mine not so much to replace my mouse but as an additional interface. Works great for me in that way.

With this release, the following gestures will be enabled out of the box:

Adds single tap to click
Adds double tap to double click
Adds 2-finger tap to right click
Adds 2-finger click to right click
Adds 3-finger tap to middle click
Adds 1-finger tap on right bottom corner to right-click
Adds single finger tap n' hold to left-click and drag
When mechanical click is pressed, edge-gestures are disabled

APC P11VNT3 3020J 11-outlet Performance SurgeArrest Surge Protector with Phone (Splitter), Coax and Ethernet Protection
Price: Click here to see our price
79 used & new from $27.20

3.0 out of 5 stars I got a lemon, September 18, 2014
I got a lemon. So that is definitely clouding my review of this item. All plugs, except for the bottom plug in the middle column, work. So, I ended up with a 10 plug surge protector. But if one plug doesn't work, well that doesn't give me a sense that this product will last. It's too bad. This has all the bells and whistles that I wanted and if the 11th plug had worked would have been perfect and I probably would have given it a 4. Brutal.

The plug spacing is just about perfect for what I needed. The cord is long and the plug on the end is right angled and pivoted on center to 45 degrees. All the little things are well done, except the pressure required to plug in something. It takes a heck of a lot of effort to both insert and remove a plug. The one that is not working however, requires very little pressure. While not really a con that the force required is high, it's pretty high. I do wish that one of the plugs was always on, but that's more a product of my needs than an issue.

Turns out, that I am unable to return/exchange this item as well due to it containing "Hazardous materials" or something. At least that's what Amazon's website is telling me "so far" when I tried to go through the motions of returning it. I've contacted Amazon via email to see what my options are. I'm sure they will make me "whole" again, but If not, well, I may open it up and repair whatever wiring is messed up inside. I'd rather not, but you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes.

Update: Amazon emailed back while I was writing this review and is sending me a replacement. Crazy fast response times! But they do not want the original one back due to the hazardous materials policy. Typo in the system maybe, because i don't see what is so hazardous about a general purpose surge protector.

Update 2: Got a replacement, and it's working just fine. The replacement also has a rather high insertion force required, but all the plugs work so whatever. I took the old one apart to see what was going on, and found what I figured happened. Moved some pieces back into position, and the "defective" one is working again. I posted an image of what was inside. Again, I have no idea why this is a hazardous material eligible product. Adding a star from 2 to 3 since my personal "ifixit" rating for this item is a 9. :-D
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 19, 2014 3:17 PM PDT

HP EX475 MediaSmart Home Server (AMD Live, Windows Home Server, 1 TB Hard Drive)

5.0 out of 5 stars Still going strong..., April 14, 2014
I've had this server for a very long time now. As an "enthusiast" user, I've upgraded it in ways that are well documented around the internet. A lower power dual core AMD chip was swapped in after a BIOS update. A 4GB ram upgrade was performed. I've even filled the four internal bays with 2TB drives. And while HP may no longer be updating the software, Microsoft is still dutifully patching the OS as needed. It's been a rather uneventful ownership experience.

I have performed what will probably be the last upgrade to my device however. I replaced the system drive with a Seagate 2TB hybrid SSHD. This one upgrade has impacted the machine in a significant way. I'd say its right up there with the RAM upgrade and the CPU swap. Everything is faster. Sadly, I wouldn't say the machine is fast now, just faster. :) I recommend anyone still squeezing every unit of utility out of their machines to go do it.

PowerGen® 4.2Amps / 20W Dual USB Car charger Designed for Apple and Android Devices - Black
Offered by POWERGEN
Price: $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, one that works!, December 30, 2013
I don't know how many phone chargers I've gone through over the years, but it's been an endless stream of disappointment ever since I picked up my first android phone. This one works, and works like I expect it to. Hallelujah! What's better is it costs significantly less than any of the others I've purchased.

With an iPhone 5 and a Moto X connected to their respective ports, both phones charged up at their "fast" charge rates. On my Moto X it seems/feels to be charging at 2A. Just like the description said it would. Couldn't be happier.

4 Official Foosballs Tornado Dynamo Shelti
4 Official Foosballs Tornado Dynamo Shelti
Offered by BumperNets
Price: $17.84
4 used & new from $14.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great feel, great weight, just great all around, December 30, 2013
Selecting the right foosball for your style of play is pretty important. There's a lot that goes into picking the right foosball shockingly. (Search around for recommendations) The run of the mill foosball from a big box store, is typically lightweight, quite smooth or embellished with seams, and fairly inexpensive. These balls are none of those things.

These balls are significantly heavier, have a rough but consistent texture, have what appears to be uniform density, and are probably more than you'd expect to spend on a ball. More effort is required to move the ball, which results in significantly more control for passing and shots on goal at the expense of overall ball speed. This also results in more dead balls where neither player can touch the ball. To the casual player, these balls are probably not going to behave like you want. It's not what you are "probably" use to, and a more seasoned player will simply overwhelm you if given the opportunity as well. IE, a crappy light weight ball is a good way to level the playing field, especially if the ball is wobbly! :) If however, you want to get better, this is a very good ball to increase your skills with.

A quick tip/opinion, the type of table you have or play on makes a big difference. Old tables that have fields/floors that flex or give a little, I personally think don't require a ball like this. For a table like that, you want a ball just like this one but lighter. On a table that have fields/floors that don't flex at all, this is what you should use.

Update 6/5/15: holy geebus. So many typos! fixed some grammar issues, 'cause brain cells.

Motorola Skip for Moto X - Retail Packaging - Red
Motorola Skip for Moto X - Retail Packaging - Red
Price: $14.99
2 used & new from $14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Awkward little thing, but I can't help but like it., December 12, 2013
I'm going to split this into two parts. The physical device and another oped type piece.

In the package is a magnetic skip clasp. It's made of what feels like a very thin synthetic Nubuck that's been fused with heat to the NFC tag, two magnets, and itself. Feels nice, and really it is a quality unit out of the box. Not sure what heavy use will do to it, but it should last a good while if you keep it clean. The magnets are strong enough and won't fall off on its own. It will stay with you even if you try to shake it off. Not bad really. It can slip off if something is mechanically forcing it off or if have too much material between the magents, but that's to be expected.

Also included in the package are three skip dots. They are simple paper stickers with an NFC tag embedded in them. These NFC tags are already locked/read only so you can not reprogram them. Not bad, not great. I wish they were of the PVC type. These for sure just aren't going to last with heavy use. They are useful if you'd like to place them in or on a Moleskine due to their thinness. You know you want to you hipster you!

Now for my oped...

It's somewhat hard to find a location that's acceptable to wear the clip that doesn't make you feel or look unnatural. It's a nice piece, but at the same time it's wearable tech and that makes it a bit weird. On the packaging is an image of it clipped to a pair of jeans. It's a weird motion to tap your phone to your waist in some situations. Like when you're buckled into a car. Other images I've seen is the tag placed on the cuff of a short sleeve shirt. Obviously it was a glamour shot of the model. That location looked cool to me and it was very showy. But can you imagine tapping your phone to your arm to unlock your phone? It just made me look like I left the asylum just a little too early when I tried it. Didn't matter which sleeve I put it on. :)

The one other thing about using NFC tags, is that you need to tap the phone's NFC antennae against the tag. Which is usually on the back of the phone. I'd argue that most people when putting a phone into a pants pocket, put their phones in their pockets with the screen facing towards their leg. So, you pull out your phone from your pocket. It's already facing the wrong direction, so you have to flip your phone around in your hand, tap the moto skip, and then turn it around again so you can see the screen. Oh, you didn't hit the sweet spot of your phone's antennae? Well now you're going to take a look and see where the skip is and try again... Yeah, I was starting to look like I was crazy again after the third attempt...

So, awkward to wear, and typically one awkward movement needed to use it. That is unless you have a purse or a bag. Clip this to your bag somewhere, and you're golden right? Not really. Since the magnets are rather strong, I've found my moto skip in the strangest of places. One time, I found it stuck to the outside/bottom of a plastic tool case. It was magnetically attracted to the digital calipers inside and hitched a ride. It took a while to find it that time...

Still, I really like this thing. It's novel. It's made well. It for sure works as intended. It's just got these weird gotchas that require the user to think about how they use their device to exploit the potential. Mine lives on my bag and works best for me there. Maybe I'll put it on a headband and report back.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 10, 2014 3:13 PM PDT

Napoleon 62121 Ultra Chef Universal Grid Lifter
Napoleon 62121 Ultra Chef Universal Grid Lifter
Price: $13.94
3 used & new from $7.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Great when used within its limits, November 19, 2013
I've got an older Weber genesis grill with stainless grates. (has three knobs on the right side stainless table) This lifter works great on my grill and has been a reliable tool for the past couple of years. I use it to angle/lift up the hot grates so I can fill up my smoker box or toss in a smoke bomb or two. For that purpose, I can't think of a better option than this tool. My hands stay well away from the heat source.

If I were lifting the entire grate out, I'd want something else however. Even with the lighter stainless grates, all that weight hanging off of the end of this tool is just asking for trouble. If those grates were hot, it would probably lead to burn. I mean really, who wants to lift around five to six lbs of hot metal with this thin handle and tiny prongs? My tip, would be to look for a tool that takes advantage of gravity and not leverage if you frequently need to remove a grate. Simple hooked metal rods do the trick in that case.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7