ARRAY(0xa22d7eb8)

Customer Reviews: 57

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. Kim "bummster" RSS Feed (Chicago, IL USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
HP EX475 MediaSmart Home Server (AMD Live, Windows Home Server, 1 TB Hard Drive)

5.0 out of 5 stars Still going strong..., April 14, 2014
I've had this server for a very long time now. As an "enthusiast" user, I've upgraded it in ways that are well documented around the internet. A lower power dual core AMD chip was swapped in after a BIOS update. A 4GB ram upgrade was performed. I've even filled the four internal bays with 2TB drives. And while HP may no longer be updating the software, Microsoft is still dutifully patching the OS as needed. It's been a rather uneventful ownership experience.

I have performed what will probably be the last upgrade to my device however. I replaced the system drive with a Seagate 2TB hybrid SSHD. This one upgrade has impacted the machine in a significant way. I'd say its right up there with the RAM upgrade and the CPU swap. Everything is faster. Sadly, I wouldn't say the machine is fast now, just faster. :) I recommend anyone still squeezing every unit of utility out of their machines to go do it.

PowerGen 4.2Amps / 20W Dual USB Car charger Designed for Apple and Android Devices
Offered by POWERGEN
Price: $9.99
3 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, one that works!, December 30, 2013
I don't know how many phone chargers I've gone through over the years, but it's been an endless stream of disappointment ever since I picked up my first android phone. This one works, and works like I expect it to. Hallelujah! What's better is it costs significantly less than any of the others I've purchased.

With an iPhone 5 and a Moto X connected to their respective ports, both phones charged up at their "fast" charge rates. On my Moto X it seems/feels to be charging at 2A. Just like the description said it would. Couldn't be happier.

4 Official Foosballs Tornado Dynamo Shelti
4 Official Foosballs Tornado Dynamo Shelti
Offered by Game Room Guys
Price: $12.08
4 used & new from $9.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great feel, great weight, just great all around, December 30, 2013
Selecting the right foosball for your style of play is pretty important. There's a lot that goes into picking the right foosball shockingly. (Search around for recommendations) The run of the mill foosball from a big box store, is typically lightweight, quite smooth or embellished with seams, and fairly inexpensive. These balls are none of those things.

These balls are significantly heavier, have a rough but consistent texture, have what appears to be uniform density, and are probably more than you'd expect to spend on a ball. More effort is required to move the ball, which results in significantly more control for passing and shots on goal at the expense of over all ball speed. This also results in more dead balls where neither player can touch the ball. To the casual player, these balls are probably not going to behave like you want. It's not what you are "probably" use to, and a more seasoned player will simply over whelm you if given the opportunity as well. IE, a crappy light weight ball is a good way to level the playing field, especially if the ball is wobbly! :) If however, you want to get better, this is the a very good ball to increase your skills with.

A quick tip/opinion, the type of table you have or play on makes a big difference. Old tables that have fields/floors that flex or give a little, I personally think don't require a ball like this. For a table like that, you want a ball just like this one but lighter. On a table that have fields/floors that don't flex at all, this is what you should use.

Motorola Skip for Moto X - Retail Packaging - Red
Motorola Skip for Moto X - Retail Packaging - Red
Price: $14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Awkward little thing, but I can't help but like it., December 12, 2013
I'm going to split this into two parts. The physical device and another oped type piece.

In the package is a magnetic skip clasp. It's made of what feels like a very thin synthetic Nubuck that's been fused with heat to the NFC tag, two magnets, and itself. Feels nice, and really it is a quality unit out of the box. Not sure what heavy use will do to it, but it should last a good while if you keep it clean. The magnets are strong enough and won't fall off on its own. It will stay with you even if you try to shake it off. Not bad really. It can slip off if something is mechanically forcing it off or if have too much material between the magents, but that's to be expected.

Also included in the package are three skip dots. They are simple paper stickers with an NFC tag embedded in them. These NFC tags are already locked/read only so you can not reprogram them. Not bad, not great. I wish they were of the PVC type. These for sure just aren't going to last with heavy use. They are useful if you'd like to place them in or on a Moleskine due to their thinness. You know you want to you hipster you!

Now for my oped...

It's somewhat hard to find a location that's acceptable to wear the clip that doesn't make you feel or look unnatural. It's a nice piece, but at the same time it's wearable tech and that makes it a bit weird. On the packaging is an image of it clipped to a pair of jeans. It's a weird motion to tap your phone to your waist in some situations. Like when you're buckled into a car. Other images I've seen is the tag placed on the cuff of a short sleeve shirt. Obviously it was a glamour shot of the model. That location looked cool to me and it was very showy. But can you imagine tapping your phone to your arm to unlock your phone? It just made me look like I left the asylum just a little too early when I tried it. Didn't matter which sleeve I put it on. :)

The one other thing about using NFC tags, is that you need to tap the phone's NFC antennae against the tag. Which is usually on the back of the phone. I'd argue that most people when putting a phone into a pants pocket, put their phones in their pockets with the screen facing towards their leg. So, you pull out your phone from your pocket. It's already facing the wrong direction, so you have to flip your phone around in your hand, tap the moto skip, and then turn it around again so you can see the screen. Oh, you didn't hit the sweet spot of your phone's antennae? Well now you're going to take a look and see where the skip is and try again... Yeah, I was starting to look like I was crazy again after the third attempt...

So, awkward to wear, and typically one awkward movement needed to use it. That is unless you have a purse or a bag. Clip this to your bag somewhere, and you're golden right? Not really. Since the magnets are rather strong, I've found my moto skip in the strangest of places. One time, I found it stuck to the outside/bottom of a plastic tool case. It was magnetically attracted to the digital calipers inside and hitched a ride. It took a while to find it that time...

Still, I really like this thing. It's novel. It's made well. It for sure works as intended. It's just got these weird gotchas that require the user to think about how they use their device to exploit the potential. Mine lives on my bag and works best for me there. Maybe I'll put it on a headband and report back.

Napoleon 62121 Ultra Chef Universal Grid Lifter (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Napoleon 62121 Ultra Chef Universal Grid Lifter (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by Hungry Piranha
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great when used within its limits, November 19, 2013
I've got an older Weber genesis grill with stainless grates. (has three knobs on the right side stainless table) This lifter works great on my grill and has been a reliable tool for the past couple of years. I use it to angle/lift up the hot grates so I can fill up my smoker box or toss in a smoke bomb or two. For that purpose, I can't think of a better option than this tool. My hands stay well away from the heat source.

If I were lifting the entire grate out, I'd want something else however. Even with the lighter stainless grates, all that weight hanging off of the end of this tool is just asking for trouble. If those grates were hot, it would probably lead to burn. I mean really, who wants to lift around five to six lbs of hot metal with this thin handle and tiny prongs? My tip, would be to look for a tool that takes advantage of gravity and not leverage if you frequently need to remove a grate. Simple hooked metal rods do the trick in that case.

K&H Thermo-Kitty Heated Cat Bed, 16-Inch, Sage
K&H Thermo-Kitty Heated Cat Bed, 16-Inch, Sage
Price: $29.99
34 used & new from $16.26

5.0 out of 5 stars u can't haz my bed!, November 19, 2013
We know its getting cooler when our herd of cats stop sleeping anywhere they feel like and start taking their naps in these beds. We've got 4. We had the unfortunate pleasure of washing these when one of our cats used all four to relieve himself... Thankfully, these washed up easily for the most part. The fabric covers did shrink just a touch in the wash, requiring a bit of care when reassembling to avoid popping seams. The flat heating element is vinyl/pvc wrapped. This type of material just hangs onto that crazy urine smell if you let it. It took a lot of nature's miracle urine destroyer and good ole sunlight to get the stench out, so be warned. You may need to buy a new element if that happens to you. Shouldn't be a problem for 99% of cat owners though. We've just got an old, diabetic, scared of his own shadow kitty. if you're wondering, he's much better now. =)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars my knees' new best friend, November 19, 2013
I've been using these while doing demo and installing a new hardwood floor in my house. What really drew me to this one was the fact that it had a pliable rubber knee. Flooring kneepads I'd seen either had a fabric knee, exposed foam, or a hard plastic knee. I wanted something that would act as an extra shoe so I wouldn't slide around and provide me protection from exposed nail heads I missed or from nails lying around. For that purpose, it does a fantastic job. My knees aren't ripped up and feel loads better than during those first couple days when I didn't have em. If you do want to use these for flooring, I do recommend you pick up the non-marring version. Instead of black rubber, it's a white rubber. Wish I knew about that one when i purchased these.

It is a bit difficult to wear these over baggy clothing. But hey, it's not like I wear knee pads often, so what do I know. Through trial and error, it seems if I fold the extra pant leg material over the front of my knee and leave as little as possible where the straps attach, I end up with less behind the knee discomfort and the pads don't slide down.

I've gotta admit though, I'm looking forward to taking these on the paintball field too!

Meguiar's Microfiber Wash Mitt
Meguiar's Microfiber Wash Mitt
Price: $4.99
21 used & new from $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Your search is not over, but a quality option., November 19, 2013
This is the one to get. It's inexpensive sure. But maybe most importantly, it doesn't lint! I do wish the design was a touch different. I wish there was a thumb, but that's about it. It goes without mentioning that this won't swirl your paint as long as you do your part and keep the lubricity high.

Lehigh 3N1TH Ultimate Tool Holder, Blue
Lehigh 3N1TH Ultimate Tool Holder, Blue
Price: $11.99
13 used & new from $6.20

3.0 out of 5 stars Average product that gets the job done., November 19, 2013
Found this at my local big box store for about seven bucks. For that price, I really can't complain. I took a pair of snips to the pegs and used some nicely flanged wood screws to secure this to my non peg board wall. After loading it up with what I felt was a prudent amount of tools, I did notice a little bit of sag. The sag will probably get worse with time, but again, for the price it's nothing to complain about. For the type of person that does not frequently reach for hand tools, this will work just fine. Next time around, I'm probably better off making my own with a few plywood scraps.

Rabbit Air BioGS replacement HEPA filter for models SPA-421A & SPA-582A
Rabbit Air BioGS replacement HEPA filter for models SPA-421A & SPA-582A
Offered by Rabbit Air
Price: $53.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A quality product, November 18, 2013
These filters have changed just a tad over the years, but have changed for the better. Originally, these filters did not come with the fine mesh sheet on the front facing intake side. I've noticed that my first filter with this mesh in place lasted longer than the previous ones. This is even with regular vacuuming. It's nice to see that Rabbit Air went a step further than necessary and has kept my now 8 year old Rabbit Air 582 running like a champ.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6