Profile for A. Ryan > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 342

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

A. Ryan "Merribelle" RSS Feed (Westminster, CA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Three Elephant World Map Compact Auto Umbrella
Three Elephant World Map Compact Auto Umbrella
Offered by HND Tech
Price: $10.30
29 used & new from $6.45

5.0 out of 5 stars I must have been tipped off by the Good Fairy of Weather that this would be the year ..., January 11, 2015
Although I live in southern California, we do occasionally get rain; yes, and even a few heavy rain storms! I must have been tipped off by the Good Fairy of Weather that this would be the year to kick back at the long drought that has been plaguing our state, because I actually bought this umbrella as a shade source to keep in my car (kids soccer games, even in November ;) ), but as it turns out, it repels water, too. Well, alright!

This great little umbrella by Three Elephant is perhaps the sturdiest, nicest little compact umbrella that I have ever owned. Unlike those cheapo brands that you pick up at the grocery store for ten bucks apiece when you are limping in like a drowned rat and thoroughly desperate to find anything to put between you and the weather, this one will actually hold up for more than two weeks. In fact, it held up despite being misappropriated by my teenaged son a few times on his way to school -- and this is the kid who could break a rubber duck. And wind. But, the wind won't break this umbrella.

One more thing: maps are cool. They automatically confer an aura of smartiness on everybody who totes a map over their head, as if to say, "I am neither a wimp nor girly, but a tough and intrepid explorer, like Magellan, and Doctor Who." Yes sir, ya gotta love ya some of that Doctor vibe. Get some!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't always eat bread, but when I do.., December 26, 2014
Ordered this from KAF directly -- LOVE the resulting bread!

I made this recipe by hand, as I'd gotten rid of my bread machine years ago when I discovered a gluten sensitivity: it was a messy process, and it took a couple of hours altogether with the rising, etc. I used butter and whole milk, and shaped the dough into an 8X4" pan (I reserved some for making dinner rolls on the side, as I could tell there would be way too much dough for that little pan). When it was done baking, I was rewarded with a tender, buttery-flavored loaf that had a soft "white bread" look and taste. It was great with butter and jam, and for making sandwiches. The gluten eaters in the house also liked it, which is rare!

Normally, I have tried GF loaves from grocery stores and really didn't enjoy the mealy, crumbly textures and bland flavors. There is only one bakery in my area that makes GF bread, and it's actually wonderful, but very expensive! This KAF loaf came out a close second to that local bakery's, in terms of flavor and texture. However, if you order it at the price on this web site, you're paying too much. I think you should be able to find a box of this GF mix at stores like Whole Foods, and it will be about half this price. That makes it totally feasible to have GF bread that you'll love and actually finish before it goes bad! (mine is used in about 2 days among four people).

Immaculate Baking Organic Vanilla Sugar Cookie Dough, 14 Ounce -- 6 per case.
Immaculate Baking Organic Vanilla Sugar Cookie Dough, 14 Ounce -- 6 per case.
Price: $60.46

1.0 out of 5 stars I really wanted to like this product, November 14, 2014
I am truly sorry to write this review, but after my glowing reports on the gluten-free chocolate chip cookie dough made by this company, I felt that it would be a public service to warn other customers away from Immaculate's Sugar Cookie Dough. I really wanted to like this product, and so gave it the benefit of the doubt: twice, I tried baking this dough as purchased from a local grocery store, and on both occasions (months apart), the results were identical: nobody liked them. Nobody.

Unlike the GF chocolate chip cookie dough, these sugar cookies did not spread out into cookie-like discs when baked as directed. They stubbornly stayed as squat little lumps on the baking sheet, as if to mock me. Once cooled, their final flavor and texture was akin to eating some misguided chem student's attempt to recreate cookie dough out of formaldehyde and playdough: a very chemically-seeming, fake vanilla. I should have been clued in before hand by the lack of good cookie-baking smells coming from the oven.

Please don't waste your money on this junk. I can't believe Immaculate produced it! I desperately wanted to believe that the first bad batch was a fluke, but six months later, the next batch proved to me beyond doubt that it wasn't. Hopefully, Immaculate realizes this and pulls the product from the shelves before more customers are angered by the surprise little hockey pucks masquerading as treats in this package.

Immaculate Baking Gluten Free Chocolate Chunk Cookie Dough, 14 Ounce -- 6 per case.
Price: $69.41

4.0 out of 5 stars Now it's a little too easy for GF people to indulge!, October 19, 2014
These are indeed a delicious, sinful treat for us gluten-free folks. Although most other GF products are a turnoff to my family, they will happily eat these chocolate chip cookies as soon as anything, ahem, "normal" (their words), because these are quite good; quality ingredients make for quality flavor, and you can't detect the usual grittiness found in GF baked goods. A win!

Now if only they were about 75 cents per package cheaper, they'd be competitive with the other brands of similarly packaged chocolate chip cookie dough in the grocery store's refrigerator case. Still, that works toward helping me to keep these as an *occasional* treat, and not a daily habit. Cause you know, chocolate chip cookie dough..mmmmmmm. (somebody really needs to come up with a text picture that indicates drooling).

Immaculate Baking Cinnamon Roll, 16 Ounce -- 12 per case.
Immaculate Baking Cinnamon Roll, 16 Ounce -- 12 per case.
Price: $102.85

5.0 out of 5 stars these may just be the BEST cinnamon rolls I have ever tried, October 19, 2014
I came to know the Immaculate brand thorugh their gluten-free cookie dough, but since making these cinnamon rolls for the family, I had to sneak some ...you know, old habits die hard! Oh my, these may just be the BEST cinnamon rolls I have ever tried; and we're talking a former gluten junkie who had tried pretty much everything out there with cinnamon. A list of cinnamon roll brands which Immaculate has topped:

Pillsbury
The grocery store's generic knockoff of Pillsbury
Cinnabon in a tube and Cinnabon at the mall (yes, even those..)
The premade cinnamon rolls you get at the grocery store
Polly's restaurant cinnamon rolls
Most other cinnamon rolls in existence.

These make a moderate (four inch-ish) sized roll when baked. So if you've been conditioned to eating giant cinnamon rolls, just realize that all along, you've eaten those 8 inch mall monstrosities because you needed twice the size to compensate for the fact that they had half flavor that they should have had. Or, you could bake a second batch ;).

The fact that the ingredients are non-GMO and consist of only things you'd actually use to make a home recipe, is just a bonus to me -- because it's all about making the kids happy. These rolls have the highest kid-to-happiness ratio, so that's what we buy now. It helps that there is a coupon for $1.00 off of 3 Immaculate products printed inside the wrapper (they're NOT cheaper than the grocery brand when bought locally, so yeah, the coupon is necessary). Still cheaper than buying Cinnabon, though.

Playtex Women's 18 Hour Wirefree Gel Comfort Strap Bra,Nude,40B
Playtex Women's 18 Hour Wirefree Gel Comfort Strap Bra,Nude,40B
Offered by Atlantic Hosiery
Price: $14.99
2 used & new from $10.85

3.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, straps stay in place..but not flattering at all., April 26, 2014
It seems that I have had no luck with finding a great everyday bra in the past several years; either the underwires were uncomfortable, the straps would slip, or both. This Playtex bra solved both those problems, only to introduce a new one -- breasts that resemble deflated balloons (due to overlarge cup sizing). Gee, thanks Playtex.

I happen to have on hand a pair of breast pads which are supposed to fill in cups so that the bust is pushed up and shaped, but even these aren't enough to make up the difference. Am I supposed to stuff with kleenex or something? What are today's savvy ladies doing to solve this particular dilemma?

Sigh. I don't know where all the packaging went, or I'd return these for one cup size down. Looks like I'm out 15 bucks.

Under Armour Women's Charged Cotton® Undeniable Capri Extra Small Black
Under Armour Women's Charged Cotton® Undeniable Capri Extra Small Black
Offered by Under Armour
Price: $23.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and adjustable, April 17, 2014
I've worn these about 3X a week for about three months now (HIIT and martial arts training): they're holding up very well and still look great. I like the drawstring which allows for a shrinking waistline. The elastic holds the hem just below my knees. This material is well-suited for athletics as it does seem to keep the body cool and dry. Will look into ordering another pair soon.

Moving Comfort Fiona Wire-Free Maximum Control Sports Bra, 40B, Aqua / Ocean
Moving Comfort Fiona Wire-Free Maximum Control Sports Bra, 40B, Aqua / Ocean

4.0 out of 5 stars Great bra if you get the right size (hopefully yours will only have 3 hooks), March 28, 2014
The Fiona bra which I received in the mail yesterday fits beautifully and offered great support during my crossfit activities. It was completely comfortable the whole time I wore it. This bra may well prove to be the best sports bra I have ever owned, but that darn 4-hook system is confounding me! When a grown woman has to ask her husband to help her hook up her bra, it's not a great sign.

A note about sizing: I measured my ribcage just underneath the breasts, to 36 inches. Yet, I wear a 40b in this brand (which I found out when I ordered a 36b Moving Comfort bra from another online retailer and it was way too tight). All of the reviews which state this bra fits "true to size" have me wondering if I have been figuring my bra sizes wrongly all these years!

Feeling like a bra dork...
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 19, 2014 6:22 AM PDT

Scott Women's eRide Support2 Athletic Shoes,White/Violet,8.5 M US
Scott Women's eRide Support2 Athletic Shoes,White/Violet,8.5 M US
Offered by SHOEBACCA

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value shoe with decent arch support, January 30, 2014
I do crossfit exercises and martial arts training several times a week in these shoes, going on nearly 3 weeks since I got them: they have held up surprisingly well, including the arch support (the main reason I took a chance on this unknown brand to begin with). A few things to note:
The upper lacings are designed to run diagonal, which is not immediately obvious in the product picture. I like this, it is stylish and different, and got complimented the first day I wore them.
The fit has been mentioned by another reviewer as running small, but I ordered my pair in my usual size. Now I have one foot which is slightly larger, and weirdly enough, that one seems to fit these shoes perfectly, but the smaller foot has my big toe bumping up against the toe box. I'm thinking the solution to this is not a larger size but rather extra padding at the toe box, to make the fit more snug so my foot isn't sliding around inside the shoe (and thus bumping at the tip). I will try that tonight. If I can solve the problem this easily, these may prove to be the best workout shoes I have ever had. Certainly, I can't complain about the price!

Thieves® Spray 3 pk, 1 fl. oz. ea .3 lb
Thieves® Spray 3 pk, 1 fl. oz. ea .3 lb
Offered by MindfulTrading
Price: $29.95
2 used & new from $29.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy for flu season, and you will boost sales of ham., January 30, 2014
This is my first try of this product. According to the product page, it is to be used for disinfecting surfaces. The 1 oz size makes it a natural for purse carry, and so I do; it's so convenient to have on hand for shopping cart handles and public restroom fixtures, all of which now get the treatment from my little bottle of Thieves'. Admittedly, I have also used it in place of hand sanitizer a few times, although I am not certain it is recommended for such: but on the other hand, (hah!) I don't seem to have any particular sensitivity to it. I want to tentatively report that in the 4 weeks since I have started carrying my bottle of Thieves' spray, I haven't caught any of the colds or flus going around, so perhaps it is doing its job in boosting my immune system.

The antifungal, antimicrobial, and powerful disinfectant properties of clove and cinnamon essential oils have been well-documented and -tested. Thieves' spray does indeed have a dominant smell of cloves! One checkout girl at the grocery store sniffed the air and said she smelled ham...and nobody was purchasing a ham :D. Now I'm getting hungry for a ham sandwich just thinking about it. You see? The power of suggestion! If Thieves' spray ever catches on for widespread use, I'm buying up stocks in pork.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20