Profile for A. Ryan > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 337

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

A. Ryan "Merribelle" RSS Feed (Westminster, CA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Playtex Women's 18 Hour Wirefree Gel Comfort Strap Bra,Nude,40B
Playtex Women's 18 Hour Wirefree Gel Comfort Strap Bra,Nude,40B
Offered by Atlantic Hosiery
Price: $9.99
3 used & new from $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, straps stay in place..but not flattering at all., April 26, 2014
It seems that I have had no luck with finding a great everyday bra in the past several years; either the underwires were uncomfortable, the straps would slip, or both. This Playtex bra solved both those problems, only to introduce a new one -- breasts that resemble deflated balloons (due to overlarge cup sizing). Gee, thanks Playtex.

I happen to have on hand a pair of breast pads which are supposed to fill in cups so that the bust is pushed up and shaped, but even these aren't enough to make up the difference. Am I supposed to stuff with kleenex or something? What are today's savvy ladies doing to solve this particular dilemma?

Sigh. I don't know where all the packaging went, or I'd return these for one cup size down. Looks like I'm out 15 bucks.

Under Armour Women's Charged Cotton® Undeniable Capri Extra Small Black
Under Armour Women's Charged Cotton® Undeniable Capri Extra Small Black
Offered by Under Armour
Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and adjustable, April 17, 2014
I've worn these about 3X a week for about three months now (HIIT and martial arts training): they're holding up very well and still look great. I like the drawstring which allows for a shrinking waistline. The elastic holds the hem just below my knees. This material is well-suited for athletics as it does seem to keep the body cool and dry. Will look into ordering another pair soon.

Moving Comfort Fiona Sports Bra - Women's Aqua/Ocean, 40B
Moving Comfort Fiona Sports Bra - Women's Aqua/Ocean, 40B

4.0 out of 5 stars Great bra if you get the right size (hopefully yours will only have 3 hooks), March 28, 2014
The Fiona bra which I received in the mail yesterday fits beautifully and offered great support during my crossfit activities. It was completely comfortable the whole time I wore it. This bra may well prove to be the best sports bra I have ever owned, but that darn 4-hook system is confounding me! When a grown woman has to ask her husband to help her hook up her bra, it's not a great sign.

A note about sizing: I measured my ribcage just underneath the breasts, to 36 inches. Yet, I wear a 40b in this brand (which I found out when I ordered a 36b Moving Comfort bra from another online retailer and it was way too tight). All of the reviews which state this bra fits "true to size" have me wondering if I have been figuring my bra sizes wrongly all these years!

Feeling like a bra dork...
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 19, 2014 6:22 AM PDT

Scott Women's eRide Support2 Athletic Shoes,White/Violet,8.5 M US
Scott Women's eRide Support2 Athletic Shoes,White/Violet,8.5 M US
Offered by SHOEBACCA

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value shoe with decent arch support, January 30, 2014
I do crossfit exercises and martial arts training several times a week in these shoes, going on nearly 3 weeks since I got them: they have held up surprisingly well, including the arch support (the main reason I took a chance on this unknown brand to begin with). A few things to note:
The upper lacings are designed to run diagonal, which is not immediately obvious in the product picture. I like this, it is stylish and different, and got complimented the first day I wore them.
The fit has been mentioned by another reviewer as running small, but I ordered my pair in my usual size. Now I have one foot which is slightly larger, and weirdly enough, that one seems to fit these shoes perfectly, but the smaller foot has my big toe bumping up against the toe box. I'm thinking the solution to this is not a larger size but rather extra padding at the toe box, to make the fit more snug so my foot isn't sliding around inside the shoe (and thus bumping at the tip). I will try that tonight. If I can solve the problem this easily, these may prove to be the best workout shoes I have ever had. Certainly, I can't complain about the price!

Thieves® Spray 3 pk, 1 fl. oz. ea .3 lb
Thieves® Spray 3 pk, 1 fl. oz. ea .3 lb
Offered by ritesell
Price: $25.48
2 used & new from $25.48

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy for flu season, and you will boost sales of ham., January 30, 2014
This is my first try of this product. According to the product page, it is to be used for disinfecting surfaces. The 1 oz size makes it a natural for purse carry, and so I do; it's so convenient to have on hand for shopping cart handles and public restroom fixtures, all of which now get the treatment from my little bottle of Thieves'. Admittedly, I have also used it in place of hand sanitizer a few times, although I am not certain it is recommended for such: but on the other hand, (hah!) I don't seem to have any particular sensitivity to it. I want to tentatively report that in the 4 weeks since I have started carrying my bottle of Thieves' spray, I haven't caught any of the colds or flus going around, so perhaps it is doing its job in boosting my immune system.

The antifungal, antimicrobial, and powerful disinfectant properties of clove and cinnamon essential oils have been well-documented and -tested. Thieves' spray does indeed have a dominant smell of cloves! One checkout girl at the grocery store sniffed the air and said she smelled ham...and nobody was purchasing a ham :D. Now I'm getting hungry for a ham sandwich just thinking about it. You see? The power of suggestion! If Thieves' spray ever catches on for widespread use, I'm buying up stocks in pork.

Doctor Who: The Visual Dictionary
Doctor Who: The Visual Dictionary
by Jacqueline Rayner
Price: $19.51
79 used & new from $3.97

3.0 out of 5 stars You'll get a great, if incomplete, Matt Smith fix., January 10, 2014
I'm an unabashed Doctor Who nerd, going way back from watching reruns in 1980 when Tom Baker was the rock star of Doctors (yes, he even looked like Bob Dylan). I do get it -- this visual dictionary is meant to be a celebration of the modern series, not an exhaustive encyclopedia of all things Doctor from the last 50 years. I was, therefore, not shocked to see that there was so little mention of classic Doctor trivia, but jeez -- you'd think the Eleventh Doctor spontaneously generated out of thin air, the way this book tells the tale. Well, not literally...but come on. The Ninth Doctor deserves a little more due than the single thumbnail photo with a caption. And the Tenth Doctor had Three Freakin' Seasons and Nine Specials! Sorry David Tennant, you only rate a single page of exposition according to DK. Apparently, any Doctor that is not the Holy Heartthrob Matt Smith can just lump it.

Nonetheless, I liked what DK did consider worthy of inclusion. DK books are always visually excellent ways to chronicle just about any subject matter, from Dinosaurs to Lego Star Wars. Our family has enjoyed several DK visual dictionaries, spurred mostly by passing interests of the children as they have grown -- although the adults of the household have often been caught reading them on their own. This 2009 Doctor Who Visual Dictionary is no exception, continuing that legacy of great photographs, lavish spreads, and fun trivia to satisfy any fan's obsession with the modern Dr. Who series. Despite this book's focus on the Eleventh Doctor, many pages of Ninth and Tenth Doctors' characters, stories, and artifacts round out the visual feast. I loved that the Daleks, Weeping Angels, and the Cybermen each had their own multi-page sections beginning with a vertical spread (would've liked to see a progressive chart showing the evolution of the Daleks starting from the earlier series -- ah well, missed opportunities. Hopefully it will be found in a future DW visual dicitonary). There is one fantastic double extended-page spread featuring the Tardis. Each companion from the modern series is given at least an entire page devoted to a summary and a full body portrait, a few bits of trivia, and examples of how they fit into the Doctor's universe. River Song, Amy Pond, and Rory, naturally, have two-page spreads.

I would suggest that even as a fanservice devotional to the Matt Smith Years, this DK Visual Dictionary was published prematurely; there were still yet four future seasons of Eleventh Doctor Who that came after 2009 (although they couldn't have known that precisely, DK also had no reason to believe Smith wouldn't continue for at least one more season). Therefore, even if you are looking for is a more complete exposition of Eleventh Doctor pictures, stories, and trivia, you will be left unsatisfied with this book. A LOT happened in 2010, '11, '12, and '13 which obviously will not be found here. This already quite-dated Visual Dictionary is delightfully done, but now falls short. True fans of the Doctor will not be disappointed in the quality of Doctor Who: The Visual Dictionary, but it will quickly be put aside for the next update from DK.

Not a bad part of your DW fandom library. Keep your eye out for better and more thorough Visual Dictionaries as the DW series progresses.

AT-A-GLANCE 2014 Monthly Desk, Wall Calendar, 11 x 8.5 Inch Page Size (PM170-28)

3.0 out of 5 stars Adequate., January 9, 2014
My first thought when I opened the box it was shipped in was, Really? Eight Bucks? It looks a lot like the freebie Midway City Sanitation Dept.'s calender that I get every December, but smaller and minus the historic photos of happy employees pumping sewage. Yay.

This is my first time ordering this calendar. I hadn't paid attention to the size listed and was surprised that it was so small -- but that was my inattention error. Nonetheless, there is room in each day's block to write a few abbreviated notes about appointments, schedules, etc -- if you write very small. The paper that the calendar is made of, is thin but works well enough to write on properly as opposed to slicker styles of paper usually found on glossy, photographic calenders.

One flaw which is contradicted by the picture on this product page is that the days of the week, which are normally listed at the top bar of each month, were mysteriously left off. I can still guess which column is Sunday, Monday, etc. however, this omission leaves the possibility for error that I'd rather not have; I ended up jotting in the days of the week where they should have been.

I will use this At-A-Glance calender now that I have it, but probably wouldn't order it again.

Thieves Essential Oil Cleansing Soap by Young Living Essential Oils - 3.45oz.
Thieves Essential Oil Cleansing Soap by Young Living Essential Oils - 3.45oz.
Offered by ritesell
Price: $14.68
5 used & new from $14.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Thieves' soap? This is God's soap! And it's not expensive enough!, January 8, 2014
A short list of the many ailments that this miracle soap has cured;

Ringworm
Trench Foot
Smart Mouth
ADHD
Rectal/Cranial Inversion

The ingredients list for Thieves' Soap reads like a sacred mantra of purity and holiness: Palm oil, Coconut oil, Olea Europea Fruit oil, Glycerin, Clove bud oil....somewhere in the same room, each batch of Thieves' Soap has been blessed by Incan priests and Dr. Oz by proxy. There is a legend that Thieves' Soap was originally formulated by Ancient Egyptian ninjas as a protection against the diuretic effects of drinking water from the Nile and to help ward off flea-infested water buffalo. Even today, carrying a sliver of Thieves' Soap in one's pocket is often an effective counter to ad homeniem attacks and testicular torsion.

To increase your IQ, SAT test scores, and fertility, use Thieves' Soap daily in the shower. There are many more uses to this miracle cleansing agent, but need I go on? Your aura will thank you!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 12, 2014 1:10 PM PST

Allay Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser, Pink
Allay Aromatherapy Essential Oil Diffuser, Pink
Offered by PVCS
Price: $34.99
9 used & new from $34.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad at all!, January 4, 2014
I don't know what it is about humidifying type diffusers, but I had a hard time finding an attractive one which also had a good average customer rating. (I mean, what's up with all the weird, asymmetrical shapes?) This Allay Aromatherapy EO diffuser was the best I could do in the looks department, although it's only moderately attractive. However, the functionality and end results of this diffuser are much better than the old-fashioned heat-warmed diffusers I've always had previously.

Basically you fill the water reservoir with distilled water, if you don't want hard water deposits to eventually build up inside your diffuser. It takes maybe a third cup at most I think. Then you drop in 3-4 drops of essential oil, replace the reservoir lid and the decorative outer funnel thingy, and turn it on. It works very well to scent the room while adding a touch of extra humidity -- a very helpful bonus in dry, overheated winter rooms. The built-in shutoff occurs when it runs out of water; perhaps 3 to 4 hours altogether. I really like that I don't have to monitor this myself.

Just one cautionary tip: I have read in many customers' reviews of humidifying diffusers that it is not advisable to diffuse any citrus EOs in these diffusers, on the grounds that contact with citrus oils will eventually degrade the plastic they are made of, and impair the unit. On some product pages you will see customers' comments about other types of EOs (such as Eucalyptus and Pine) also being destructive to plastic diffusers. I have no idea if this is true, or just a rumor. The Allay diffuser had no such warnings printed about avoiding any specific EOs, but I have been hesitant to test citrus, pine, and eucalyptus EOs in mine all the same. This is a real shame, because these oils are among the most aromatherapeutic for people with breathing difficulties. If there is a problem with specific EOs, Allay should have notified me, so I am not sure what to think about this. Having to avoid grapefruit, bergamot, and orange EOs certainly impairs my enjoyment of this product! I *have* tried lavender, sandalwood and lemongrass in this diffuser, with no problems so far.

I do like this product overall. I can recommend this diffuser as a pretty good, low-maintenance aromatherapy tool that is especially appropriate for winter use.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 5, 2014 8:52 PM PST

doTERRA Peppermint Beadlets
doTERRA Peppermint Beadlets
Offered by Purely Essential Oils
Price: $12.65
23 used & new from $8.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Intense peppermint experience., December 31, 2013
You pop these between your teeth and a burst of peppermint essential oil floods your mouth -- but it's actually quite small. I got these to have on hand in case a friend forgot her inhaler and needed a little help opening her airways in a pinch (on the suggestion of other people who use peppermint essential oil for their breathing difficulties).

Be warned, there is NO sweetness to these beadlets. Kids would probably hate them, but as an adult I don't mind the sharp taste.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 5, 2014 5:48 PM PST