Profile for R. Kyle > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 646

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

R. Kyle RSS Feed (USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
You Can't Just Snap Out Of It: The Real Path to Recovery From Psychological Trauma: Introducing the START-NOW Program
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars PTSD is for life -- so are the skills you will gain reading this book, October 27, 2014
I have PTSD generated from injuries which happened in several auto crashes over a period years. Two concussions have scarred the right side of my brain. All told, I had more than a year of physical therapy. The last wreck my shoulder was so locked up, my PT couldn't move it. A doctor suggested PTSD and put me in EMDR therapy to reprogram my brain. My PT was shocked after just the first session--my shoulder had mobility and I noticed the pain was less. Essentially what was happening was my brain was caught like a skip on a record. The EMDR broke that pattern and allowed me to begin healing.

Recently, I had to walk in front of a parked RAM pickup--which was the car that did so much damage rear-ending us. I couldn't breathe. My knees were shaking and I thought I was going to pass out.

I had to use some of the techniques I learned from this book to stop, evaluate the situation, and move on. And yes, instead of walking as far away from that pickup as I could, I walked right straight past it. Some will say that's an irrational reaction. It's the same thing when a soldier sees a discarded can on the road and brakes his vehicle.

That's what happens with PTSD. For instance, a soldier in a battlefield acquires senses which allow him to survive but those senses may process harmless items as a threat. PTSD is a serious killer in the military field. 22 soldiers die a day -- not on the battlefield, but in the home front because they are not able to readjust to their former lives. No one who hasn't been there can really adequately address what's happening.

So well meaning friends and family tell them to get over it. They're home now. They can't. They don't know why and neither do the well-intended friends and family who offer the advice.

So many people offer advice, but the truth is you cannot simply "get over" trauma. Scientific fact: MRIs of patients with trauma show that their amygdalas have shrunk. This is the portion of the brain which processes emotional stimuli, thus leaving less computing power for the PTSD patient to actually assess what is facing them and deal appropriately.

So you can't just snap out of a change in your brain. You can decide to work around the problem and gain the skills to continue on with your life. "You Can't Just Snap Out of It" is part of your tool-kit to get started.

As the book's title says: You Can't just Snap Out of It. But, you can learn lifetime coping skills which will help you deal with stressful situations better in the future. This book includes discussions of PTSD from Dr. Doug Bremner, one of the researchers who discovered the effects trauma has on our brains and has worked through trauma himself. A workbook at the end provides practical and usable exercises that anyone can walk through. They're especially good to share with concerned family members who can provide help and understanding.

It's very much a must for military and emergency service personnel as well as abuse and assault victims. Dr. Bremner has a good success rate helping PTSD sufferers get back to their lives. He currently runs a military re-entry program through Gallaway Gardens and Emory University.

R. Kyle
October 2014

Rock Island Rock (A Crossroads Thriller Book 2)
Rock Island Rock (A Crossroads Thriller Book 2)
by Eyre Price
Price: $11.99
29 used & new from $4.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Got to pick up the first book now!, October 7, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Definitely have to read "Blues Highway Blues" now. This is a page-turner of a thriller that will keep you up at night. There's music in the story, well-developed characters, and a plot that holds up as a second novel. This is one series that I will begin to follow and hopefully will see more entries coming along. If you like fast-paced stories, music, thrillers -- this is probably a book that you will enjoy.

R. Kyle, October 2014

Bathing the Lion
Bathing the Lion
by Jonathan Carroll
Price: $18.84
67 used & new from $12.53

5.0 out of 5 stars A new favorite novel from an old favorite author, October 7, 2014
This review is from: Bathing the Lion (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Jonathan Carroll is one of my favorite authors because he always stretches the boundaries in some way with his books. I never quite know what to expect and yet each book has stood alone as memorable and left me thinking about the characters and the plot. "Bathing the Lion" is no exception. It's a surrealistic fantasy about five completely different people who share a past and a dream. Character and world-building here are the strongest points for me. This is a reader's book and a writer's book for observation of the craft at it's penultimate point.

R. Kyle, October 2014

Spiral Path (Night Calls Book 3)
Spiral Path (Night Calls Book 3)
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging story for both young and old, September 24, 2014
Spiral paths are symbols of transformation, the root of magic. Whether you solve the labyrinth or wind up in an unexpected place, you are changed.

Esme Livingston’s school for mages in New York City has two such spiral paths. Allie Sorensson is at last enrolled and starting a new path for her life. Some places, she will lead and others she will follow. But, in all, she will learn.

I began reading Katharine Eliska Kimbriel's "Night Calls" series with the original book by that title. I was impressed with the author's knowledge of history and folklore. Every book in the Kindred Rites series has had me racing for the end and wishing for more. I have read every book more than once, which is generally against my rules. Spiral Path is no exception. Some characters become old friends quickly. In this latest addition, we’ll make some new friends and re-acquaint ourselves with some old ones. Allie is growing up and changing rapidly from a girl to a young woman.

Ms. Kimbriel’s enticing and lyrical prose and knowledge of the arcane will hook new readers and delight old ones as well. The "Night Calls" series is an excellent learning experience for young adult readers and will be particularly enticing for those with an interest in fantasy and history.

Rebecca McFarland Kyle, September 2014

Orphan Train: A Novel
Orphan Train: A Novel
by Christina Baker Kline
Price: $8.99
167 used & new from $6.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Two very unalike women have more in common than you might have imagined, September 10, 2014
This review is from: Orphan Train: A Novel (Paperback)
The times, they aren't a-changing.

Seventeen-year-old Molly's been bounced from foster home to foster home since she lost her parents. Now, she's possibly going into juvie--for stealing a battered copy of Jane Eyre from the library. Her one chance is to help ninety-year-old Vivian clean out her attic. What could a seventeen-year-old branded a loser and criminal have in common with an obviously wealthy woman who's reached a substantial age? More than you might imagine.

It's a common meme in social media for someone to tag you and ask you names of the books that have touched you. "Orphan Train" will definitely be on my next list. The story is one of the most beautifully-told I have read in quite a while. It's highly impressive and well worth the cost of admission--as well as the inevitable tears.

READING ISSUES: I got the soft-cover edition with the deckle edge. It's one of the poorest looking books I've ever seen. The deckle's come off on my lap, my clothing, my bedspread. The paper is just a shade above newsprint and the ink is faint on the copy I got. If you have any visual issues, I'd suggest you consider the hardcover or purchase the e-book.

R. Kyle, September 2014

The Blonde
The Blonde
by Anna Godbersen
Price: $3.20
92 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Too slow...., September 10, 2014
This review is from: The Blonde (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was thrilled to have an opportunity to read this book. The premise was different and exciting. I wish the actual narrative fulfilled the promise.

Marilyn as a Soviet spy. Just those words had me diving into the book when it hit my doorstep. The problem was, I just couldn't get into the opening. By the time I hit the payoff, I felt exhausted and cheated. The last three chapters were the best of the book. I honestly wished the author could have reached that zenith a lot earlier and kept the pace going.

R. Kyle, September 2014

Nasty
Nasty
by Bret R Wright
Price: $13.93
2 used & new from $12.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Get NASTY! (You know you wanna), August 29, 2014
This review is from: Nasty (Paperback)
Adultery pays. Crime doesn't. That's PI Nate Jepson's motto.

Meet Nate. He's fresh from the SEALS and trying to get past the pain. Just cooling out on the beach when a man runs up to his car, pushes a gun in his face, gets in, and tells him to drive. He's carrying a paper bag greasy from the beef sticks within. Neither one makes it off the beach.

And Nate is left struggling with the memories and an unpaid case he didn't ask for.

I first got acquainted with NASTY when I was a judge for a writing contest. I read 200 excerpts and this book was one of the top ten which stuck with me. It's in good company. Several of the others have gone on to be award-winning authors. Like me, I suspect once you get started reading NASTY, you will not want to stop. It's that good and that memorable.

Rebecca McFarland Kyle

Remington F3-3900B Rechargeable Foil with Pivot and Flex Technology
Remington F3-3900B Rechargeable Foil with Pivot and Flex Technology
Price: $19.99
48 used & new from $17.97

3.0 out of 5 stars Close shave, July 13, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My husband, (you didn't think I got this for myself, did you?) has need for two different styles of razors. The Norelco rotary razor and the Remington style razor.

So when the F3900 became available, I grabbed it for him knowing his other Remington was getting old. Here is what he told me in his own words.

"It seems both the old and new Remington razors are Pivot and Flex models. I believe my older Pivot and Flex is a F4790.

There are substantial differences between the two razors starting with the feel of them. The F3900 is lighter. Some folks might like a lighter razor, but I want a little bit of weight in mine. The screens are harder to get off the F3900 and the cover is much harder, at least this specific unit, to get on and secure.

Other differences include charging times (2 hours [F4790] compared to 16 hours [F3900]), shaving time (60 minutes with the F4790 and 30 minutes for the F3900).

Additionally the F4790 can be used corded, meaning if the user let the battery drain completely, it could be plugged in and used for shaving. The F4790 also has a quick charge feature that seems to be lacking in the F3900.

Cleaning of the razors also differs with the F4790 being able to be rinsed off under running water. This is only the head of the unit but it is very easy to get all the dirt and dust off. The F3900 can be wiped down with a damp cloth but the instructions do not mention about being able to rinse the head off under running water. My take is the F4790 can be washed and the F3900 can't.

One benefit the F3900 has over the F4790 is the trimmer; it pops up where the F4790's trimmer slides up. It is just a personal preference here but I like the trimmer to pop-up, not slide up.

In short, if I did not have the F4790 the F3900 would do just fine. Most people would not know these differences and probably could care less. There are some build quality issues and fit and finish of the head cover but really not a bad razor."

So, yes, while the new razor does not quite stand up to the quality and usability of his old razor, it's not a bad buy, particularly if you are not interested in the features of the F4790.
R. Kyle, July 2014
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 14, 2014 6:17 AM PDT

Pet Naturals Calming for Cats (21 count) 1.11oz.
Pet Naturals Calming for Cats (21 count) 1.11oz.
Price: $4.42
73 used & new from $1.27

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks very promising -- but only ONE per day!, July 4, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We adopted a feral cat from the ASPCA many years ago. She's a beautiful girl and probably the best socialized of our four. But, there are times that Tara gets terrified and there's little we can do to help.

I've used several Pet Natural treats in the past and they have been well-received, so I figured the calming treats might be helpful particularly on July 4. While our cats are indoors only, firecracker noise can get pretty loud around here.

I like the ingredient list of these treats, too: (brief description summary, please read the product summary for the entire description if you are interested)

L-theanine supports alpha waves in the brain. This is the relaxed "thinking" state humans get in that help us to keep calm under stress. Neurologically, speaking our brains are an interesting biological machine. They protect us by flipping the "flight or fight" switch whenever something scares us. The problem is, our brains are like a light switch. When we are afraid, we are using the lower-level instinctive brain and cannot use the higher order thinking abilities that keep us calm.

Colostrum, which in this case is an ingredient from cow's milk. The peptides in colostrum help promote a sense of calm. While the label doesn't say this, I have also been told they really help with a nervous gut. When Tara gets really scared, she also gets diarrhea, which is messy and difficult to get her gut back in shape again.

One of the most stressful events for animals is Independence Day--or probably "Splosion Day" in their parlance. While fireworks are illegal in our city, that doesn't stop the neighborhood from shooting fireworks from almost dusk until dawn.

So, I started the treats on July 3. Two of our four cats readily ate the one treat you are permitted per day on the label. Unfortunately, Tara (the feral) would only gum the treat and I had to take it up before the two who gobbled theirs down ate hers.

The two who ate the treats were pretty laid back during the fireworks. The youngest, who is pretty playful and lively, went to sleep and the female seemed just a little bit high.

Second night, 7/4, the fireworks were a lot more intense. Indy, the youngest, jumped up on my shoulder shivering. I took him into the kitchen and gave him a Calming Treat, which he ate readily. He ended up spending the night in his cat house, which is a safe place for him. He wasn't his usual self, but I think the treat helped him handle the fireworks better.

Unfortunately, two of my cats will still not eat the treats. Our feral girl, Tara, is the one I am most concerned about. The others keep some sense of security and can be handled--she cannot.

My next attempt will be to isolate Tara with one of the treats and just let her gum and lick on it as she chooses. Isolation will add a bit to her stress, but I think it will be worthwhile to make sure that she has something to help her in times of high stress.

I know someone's going to ask -- so yes, a one-star deduction for taste. If I can't get the cat to eat the treat readily, it's going to be hard to use it under stressful conditions as a calmer. The one suggestion I would make is to improve the taste of the treats.

R. Kyle, July 2014

Samsung 32GB Class 6  Micro SDHC up to 24MB/s with Adapter (MB-MS32DA/AM)
Samsung 32GB Class 6 Micro SDHC up to 24MB/s with Adapter (MB-MS32DA/AM)
Price: $14.99
6 used & new from $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Small, easy to use, and perhaps a bit scary, June 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There is a lot of space packed into this very tiny card. 32GB for less than $18 with the SD adapter to make it work with a lot more devices.

I'm not a numbers person and I don't have a device that can use the MicroSDHC natively without the adapter but for me it feels fast enough. I can store music and photos on it.

The only concern for me is losing the card, it is that small. I could easily drop it and lose it if I don't find a wallet or some kind of container to carry the ones I don't have in my tablet. Or that one of my cats will think it is a treat and try to it should I drop it. Definitely not an issue for a lot of people.

If I needed another card like the Samsung I would not hesitate to consider it in the future. It is just so simple to use, plug and play and off you go.

Rebecca Kyle, June 2014