Profile for E. Karasik > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 261

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

E. Karasik RSS Feed (Washington, DC United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Taylors of Harrogate, Yorkshire Gold Tea, 40-Count Tea Bags (Pack of 6)
Taylors of Harrogate, Yorkshire Gold Tea, 40-Count Tea Bags (Pack of 6)
Price: $26.19
17 used & new from $23.52

5.0 out of 5 stars With this tea I don't miss my morning coffee, December 15, 2010
I usually need two tea bags to make a cup of tea that satisfies me, but his tea is so full-bodied and fragrant that one bag makes a really intense, delicious cup. I'm normally a coffee person, but I've been enjoying this as my morning beverage for months with no temptation to switch back.

Biddeford Blanket Electric Warming Heated Blanket - Micro Plush with Analog Controller - Full Size, Spanish Brown

1.0 out of 5 stars This company makes crappy electric blankets, December 6, 2010
I gave away my old electric blanket because it wouldn't heat up even when set on high, and replaced it with one of these. To my great disappointment this one does the same thing: even if you try to pre-heat it for a long time it barely warms up at all. When I went to put the manual away in my "electric blanket" file, lo and behold I realized I had inadvertently bought a different model but it was from the same company. Never again.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 26, 2011 6:21 PM PST

The Anti-Inflammation Diet and Recipe Book: Protect Yourself and Your Family from Heart Disease, Arthritis, Diabetes, Allergies — and More
by Jessica Black
Price: $9.83
98 used & new from $5.78

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as well-researched or current as I had hoped, September 26, 2010
This book is an OK starting resource for those who know little or nothing aobut nutrition, but I was hoping for a one-stop resource that would concisely and accurately summarize the current research on diet and inflammation, and this is not it. While it does contain a list of references at the back, the many controversial assertions (such as drinking absolutely massive amounts of water, and avoiding all nightshade vegetables including tomatoes and spinach, which are very high in documented health benefits)are not footnoted and supported by specific research. The discussion portion of the book is only 54 pages and contains little one couldn't find with a quick internet search. While the recipes look tasty, they take up the rest of the 225 pages and I have plenty of other cook books. Also, while the author gives a few general tips about nutrition, she doesn't mention the research on turmeric, which is perhaps the most promising anti-inflammatory spice, and she doesn't mention other important areas of research such as the effects of low aspirin doses and the extremely important relationship between inflammation and gum disease. I will be looking further.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 8, 2010 12:56 PM PDT

A Single Man
A Single Man
DVD ~ Colin Firth
Offered by Chicago-Media
Price: $5.94
96 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Lugubrious, and what happened to the second dog?, July 30, 2010
This review is from: A Single Man (DVD)
This film is very stylish with some gorgeous scenes and flashes of brilliance, but that will only carry you so far before boredom sets in. I think the editor needs a serious talking to -- all those scenes of naked bodies floating in water set to violin music may have seemed interesting at the time, but I was leaping for the fast-forward button on a regular basis. [WARNING, POTENTIAL MINOR SPOILER] At the beginning of the film the bereaved Mr. Firth is informed that one of his dogs was found dead at the scene along with his lover, but the issue of what happened to the second dog is a total loose end that never comes up again. Laugh if you will, but the character, who is obviously very affected by the love for and memory of his dogs, would have made an effort to find that missing dog who was the last link to his dead lover. I don't know if this was a flaw in the novel or the film, but it deeply irked me.

Minka-Aire F519-ORB 52-inch Concept II Flush Mount Ceiling Fan, Oil Rubbed Bronze with Taupe Blades
Offered by HansenWholesale
Price: $329.95
19 used & new from $324.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fantastic, plastic blades are less than elegant, June 17, 2010
I'm quite hapy with this fan -- it functions beautifully and quietly with a convenient remote. My boyfriend says the installation was reasonably straightforward. My only regret is that the blades are molded from a putty-colored plastic that, on close inspection, is not very attractive or expensive-looking. Luckily the fan is on the ceiling so I rarely notice.

Cats of Mirikitani
Cats of Mirikitani
DVD ~ Jimmy Tsutomu Mirikitani
Price: $16.96
26 used & new from $9.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving and beautiful, June 17, 2010
This review is from: Cats of Mirikitani (DVD)
This story of an artist of Japanese descent who was interned at Tule Lake during WWII is one of the most well-done documentaries I have seen. Mirikitani was essentially a street person when the filmmaker discovered him shortly before the World Trade bombings. She tells his story and becomes entwined with his life in a way that is very touching, sensitive, and at times hilarious. The film itself is full of very artistic camera work, has a lovely soundtrack, and ties together the themes of art, war, bigotry & redemption in a truly transcendent manner.

Zeitoun
Zeitoun
by Dave Eggers
Price: $22.80
326 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Devastating, fascinating, surreal, heartbreaking: a must-read!, April 5, 2010
This review is from: Zeitoun (Hardcover)
I grabbed this for a train ride without any expectations and could hardly put the book down until I finished it the following day. I have never been to New Orleans and am not religious, but this story of one Muslim man's efforts to save people and animals in the aftermath of Katrina and what befalls him is simply riveting. I also agree with other reviewers that this is a very important book for all Americans to read from a human rights perspective. Do yourself a massive favor and don't miss it.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't disappoint!, March 8, 2010
I bought this because of the other positive reviews and was so glad I did! I had been having trouble keeping the area around my eyelids moisturized without irritating my eyes, and this product is perfection. I use it in the morning after showering and in the evening before bed, and within a couple days there was none of the redness and rough texture I'd been experiencing. Also, for some reason it seems to make my eyelashes grow longer -- maybe cause they don't fall out as readily. I will definitely be a repeat customer!

The Invention of Lying
The Invention of Lying
DVD ~ Ricky Gervais
Price: $7.50
163 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and extremely funny, March 6, 2010
This review is from: The Invention of Lying (DVD)
I'm not religious but I do worship Ricky Gervais. Hands down one of the funniest and most clever films I have seen in ages, and also quite touching. Manages to be topical in several areas without being preachy. Don't over-analyze people! And don't watch it if you are offended by trenchant satire of organized religion. Everyone else, just lie back, relax, and let the hilarity have its way with you.

Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Feline Urinary SO Canned Cat Food 5.8 oz Cans (Pack of 24)
Offered by Pet Centrals
Price: $56.99
3 used & new from $54.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Very effective for urinary blockages, February 28, 2010
Two of my cats developed urinary crystals and/or blockages at different times, and had repeat episodes, until one of my vets recommended this food. Since I started feeding it there have been ZERO relapses. I use both canned and dry; the company's research shows the canned to be more effective, but the dry is very palatable and all my cats really like it. My understanding is that it works by prompting the cat to drink more water. One side effect you will notice is that the cats will have a significantly larger output of urine, but this is a small downside compared to the cat suffering chronic urinary troubles, not to mention the vet bills. Now that my cats have been symptom-free for several years, I alternate this food with over-the-counter varieties, but I always keep it on hand and feed at least one meal per day. Royal Canin seems to be an excellent company; their website supplies copious information about the products.
Comment Comments (17) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 5, 2014 12:55 PM PST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20