Profile for mep > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 24

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

mep RSS Feed (Boston, MA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Here Kitty Kitty: A Novel
Here Kitty Kitty: A Novel
by Jardine Libaire
Price: $19.99
62 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, November 17, 2011
I read dozens of books a year and rarely feel that I have time to re-read, but I've picked this one back up several times. Lee is such an interesting, flawed character, and the scenes are presented so evocatively. It's a wonderful picture of a time and place in one young person's life.

The Marriage Plot: A Novel
The Marriage Plot: A Novel
by Jeffrey Eugenides
Price: $19.72
470 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars I probably bumped up the score a bit because it resonates personally, October 31, 2011
I was particularly absorbed in this book partly for personal reasons -- I grew up in Princeton, NJ (which is obviously Prettybrook, NJ), I graduated from an ivy league university around the same time as the characters did, and I know people with mental illnesses similar to what's described in the book). But even objectively, I felt like the characters were pretty well developed, the story lines were engaging, and the ending just worked somehow. I zoomed through it, which is more than I can say for Middlesex (which I actually loved). I'd say it's an easy read but not an inconsequential one.

The Billionaire's Nanny
The Billionaire's Nanny
Price: $2.99

1.0 out of 5 stars would give it zero stars -- Painfully, embarrassingly bad, October 3, 2011
I have to blame myself -- I hurriedly downloaded this book in an airport without understanding what it was. I expected some kind of decent chick lit, nothing highbrow, but I didn't know that it was a Harlequin Romance/Fabio kind of book! Kind of hilarious, unintentionally. Painful sudden dramatic attraction, editorial inconsistencies (like the guy who has to be reached at the hotel/puts his cell phone in his pocket/has to go to a phone booth), hilariously overwritten melodrama. Your basic bodice ripper. But again, my fault. I don't like Harlequin romances and I guess I got what I paid for.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 4, 2011 3:05 PM PDT

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars It cracked my brand-new kindle, January 21, 2010
Got it at Christmas -- after three weeks the case had cracked the plastic casing. Apparently it will eventually crack the screen too. I love the Kindle and I'm furious. I'm hoping Amazon will make good on this.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 22, 2010 4:26 PM PST

Nanny Returns: A Novel
Nanny Returns: A Novel
by Emma McLaughlin
383 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Liked the original, hate the sequel, January 11, 2010
This review is from: Nanny Returns: A Novel (Hardcover)
I enjoyed Nanny Diaries so I was happy to see the sequel. But wow, it's bad.

As others have pointed out, the main character hasn't grown up a bit. The various sub-plots are really boring and cover the same ground as the first book. We get it -- spoiled, rich, nasty New Yorkers without any dimension. Complete caricatures. None of them are developed enough to be remotely interesting. Nan and her husband are the "good guys" and everyone else is a horrible rich person. Oh, and all the husbands are cheating on their wives in a really obvious and pathetic way, and all the wives cope with it by spending their heads off. I know there are awful, snooty people in real life, but I think most of them are a little more subtle. As a reader, I was extremely put off by the authors' need to spell out how superior Nan is.

And they are sooooo obvious in setting up the next book. Hmmm. Maybe she does want to have a baby? What do you want to bet the next book, coming soon, is Nanny and Child?

Finally -- and this is not the authors' fault but it shows how much effort went into editing this book -- it is FULL of typos.

The Beach Club
The Beach Club
by Elin Hilderbrand
41 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Flat characters, sloppy writing/editing, October 22, 2009
This review is from: The Beach Club (Paperback)
The storylines weren't bad (though as one reviewer said, maybe too many of them going on). But the characters had no depth, none was very interesting. And there were lots of repetitive scenes, continuity errors, and just plain typos. A little hard to get through.

The Condition: A Novel (P.S.)
The Condition: A Novel (P.S.)
by Jennifer Haigh
Price: $13.17
246 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Sloppy editing, but the story was interesting enough to keep me going, October 17, 2009
A good editor would've trimmed this by a third. We heard the same stories retold just a couple of pages later (and not from different points of view or with different insights), we read conflicting accounts and characterizations (again, this would make sense if they came from different characters or points of view). But the lazy editing plus the one-dimensional characters made it somewhat disappointing. There were efforts to bring the characters alive, but they were thin efforts. For example, late in the book you get some hints as to why Paulette was interesting and attractive, but in her late middle age you hardly see any of what makes her an attractive person. Why would anybody want to be with her? I recognize that in real life people's multiple dimensions are easily overlooked, but in a book you have a chance to create a more nuanced character sketch.

Little Me: The Intimate Memoirs of that Great Star of Stage, Screen and Television/Belle Poitrine/as told to
by Patrick Dennis
Price: $13.13
62 used & new from $1.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh-out-loud funny, August 5, 2009
I read it slowly because there is so much hilarity packed into every page. Read the preface and forward too, for interesting background on what went into creating the photographers and who the players are.

The writing is just picture-perfect!

Girls' Poker Night
Girls' Poker Night
by Jill A. Davis
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
137 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars What a relatable character, January 10, 2009
Sure, she can be annoying, but I see so much of my own neuroses in Ruby Capote. I love this book -- I even re-read it a few years after the first time. She's real. It's funny and poignant at the same time.

Slummy Mummy
Slummy Mummy
by Fiona Neill
Price: $12.60
211 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Really slow and over the top, October 24, 2008
This review is from: Slummy Mummy (Paperback)
This book should've been a breeze but I found it hard to get through. I think the writing is pretty good, but the editing was sloppy, the book went on much too long, the characters were caricatures (to some extent, on purpose, I know). I get being a disorganized Mom -- I'm one, and I know plenty of "alpha mums." But Lucy was so ridiculously stupid, hard to believe given that she used to have a high powered job. "I Don't Know How She Does It" did a much better job, in my opinion, of conveying the challenges of parenting.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3