Profile for Becky and Jim review > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 94

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Becky and Jim review "Becky (in Nola)" RSS Feed (New Orleans)
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Ymbol GS-L0048 Standard Round Artistic Tempered Glass Vessel Vanity Sink
Ymbol GS-L0048 Standard Round Artistic Tempered Glass Vessel Vanity Sink
Offered by Ymbol
Price: $130.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly beautiful and heavy tempered glass, May 29, 2015
The picture honestly does not do this sink justice. It is absolutely gorgeous, the light plays off the shadows, light and dark shimmer off the sink adding depth and a surprising playfulness. It's not so much dark as rich and creamy and luscious.

The glass came perfectly smooth, no chips, no rough edges. The hole is perfectly cut for easy installation. The glass is tempered and thick, with a great thick rim.

Now that I have seen the sink I will probably get another one, one for the bathroom, and one to plug the bottom, put on a garden table, and float water lilies in it, the sun playing off the bowl will be beautiful. I might get a third, now that I've seen the quality, perhaps the green one, and use it as a bird bath.

But, while my imagination is running wild on the different ways I can use this affordable gorgeous sink, for a bathroom it is terrific. It would go with a multitude of decors, brown, gold, cream, chocolate, etc. It would go very modern, or very classic, or eclectic.

Easy to follow installation instructions included.

Because it's glass I'm going to mention it was very well packed in Styrofoam and comes with a cover.

It's rare I want to keep just raving about how much I LOVE a product, but this sink is completely rave worthy!

Sink was provided for the purpose of testing and evaluation.

Chocolate Truffle Shaver
Chocolate Truffle Shaver
Offered by ON CLOUD 9
Price: $35.90
3 used & new from $27.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for shaved chocolate and garlic, May 28, 2015
This review is from: Chocolate Truffle Shaver
I was watching Giada and she was using one of these for garlic. I love shaved garlic, and frying shaved garlic, so I bought it. It works great for garlic, and chocolate. The shave is very well made and sturdy, shaves beautifully. I do wear my protective kitchen gloves when using this because it is sharp!

it's stainless steel so it retains no off odors, I can shave garlic, wash it, shave chocolate and no funky garlic-chocolate taste. It washes up easily and the handle is nice to grip, even though it's metal too. This is a quality shaver that should last years and years.

Hisense DH-50K1SDLE Energy Star 2-Speed Dehumidifier, 50-Pint
Hisense DH-50K1SDLE Energy Star 2-Speed Dehumidifier, 50-Pint
Price: $169.00
15 used & new from $169.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Take the water from the air, May 28, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We live in a swamp, New Orleans, for all it's gorgeous architecture, Mardi gras fun, and hurricanes, is basically built on a swamp. It's humid. Dehumidifiers are great, with one caveat. Dehumidifiers raise the ambient temperature by their use, so if using in a small room they will take out the water, but raise the temperature, however, without the humidity the temperature is more tolerable.

The Hisense is great, it's really plug and go. There are two speeds and it works in a 3000 sq foot space. So it's great for steamy kitchen areas, or bedrooms. It also has a full tank alert and shut off, so it can run while we are sleeping. The water empties into a tank that is easily removed and dumped. You can also hook up a hose and empty it elsewhere.

The air filter is washable and has a "wash filter" light so you know when it needs cleaned, a very nice touch.

For us, getting the moisture out is so important, moisture attracts termites and mold in our environment, and a lot of times we turn on the AC not because of the heat, but because it's so humid in the house. Dehumidifiers are a real plus.

Janome Artistic Edge Digital Cutter, 15-inch
Janome Artistic Edge Digital Cutter, 15-inch
Offered by Richmond Hill Home Center USA.
Price: $499.00
2 used & new from $499.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic cutter for so many projects and materials, May 28, 2015
***Okay, I have edited this review and changed the rating to five stars. After I posted the review Janome sent me a software update. There is a much better user tutorial, videos and a quick start guide. This brings the level of the software (still a learning curve but more of a hill than a mountain now) up to the fabulousness of the cutter and brings the entire experience to a five star. And kudos to Janome for fixing most of the issues I was having with understanding and using the software

*** original review

A tale of two reviews:

It was the best of cutters, it was the worst of software.

Okay, maybe not the worst, but the software is a steep learning curve and the manual is a study in brevity. The problem is the two are pretty much inseparable, so the quality of the cutter brings the review to a "I wish I could give it better than a five" and the software drags it down to at least a 4.

Let's start with the cutter, amazing. The build quality is fantastic, the 15 inches of cutting space is huge. I can adjust the pressure for the type of medium II am cutting, from paper, to vinyl, cotton, velum, construction paper etc. There are two pens and 3 blades, the blades have color caps and are for fine, med, and thick. I think the better idea might have been a color dot on the razor itself, but as long as I remember to cap each after each use it will work.

The Cutter also comes with two mats, varying in degree of tackiness, which you use depends on the type of material used. Everything about the cutter is a solid five, construction, ease of use, quality of cut, variety of materials I can use it. The edge is a beautifully crafted art work in itself, that creates amazing designs. The blades and pens are easy to switch between, the tensions easy to change.

Okay, the software has 35000 designs, plus you can import your own art work. I think the software is learnable, but I was having issues. I called my son to help, he has two associate's degrees in computer stuff, works with computer software daily, and is one class (one!) away from his Bachelor's in computer science. So.. when he gets frustrated and says the help function is not the best and he wishes there were more instructions, I don't feel so bad about being slow to catch on to the program.

Let me say that I'm not conversant in a lot of the artistic type software like photo shop, etc. So if you are comfortable already, or knowledgeable with that kind of software, you will probably be steps ahead of me and find this easier to use. However, after a few hours, lots of hitting the help menu, and a few scattered bad words, I was able to get a few cuts going. I think that the cutter is so amazing, the variety of uses so broad, that it motivates me to really learn the software, which seems (and is, according to Josh who kept muttering, they could have done this to simplify blah blah, but he codes in his sleep and I have no idea what the blah blah was) a bit over complicated and not intuitive. I will say though, that once I finally get something going, it talks to the cutter and gives me exactly what I'm asking it for.

Wireless- We had no problem with the wireless connection, but after you get the software ready you have to go load the cutter, but it's nice because I can spread out material, cutter etc on the table. The cutter itself is not heavy nor overly large, it's about the size of a large laminator.

The projects are only limited by one's imagination. Be prepared to take a little time learning the software, then prepare to be amazed.

The Artistic edge was provided, for evaluation and testing. The opinions given are strictly mine.

Dorel Living Powell Two-Toned Upholstered Sofa, Grey/White
Dorel Living Powell Two-Toned Upholstered Sofa, Grey/White
Price: $478.80
3 used & new from $477.80

4.0 out of 5 stars Dorel gray sofa, May 27, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Dorel Living Powell two toned couch is a bit of a DIY project. It comes in pieces in the box and putting it together is a bit like tetris or fancy legos.

Assembly is pretty easy, the pieces come in blocks, the front panel slides into a bracket on each arm. after attaching a let to the back edge of the seat, the seat rests on the front panel and the back edges slide into a bracket again on each arm.

The back panel also slides into a bracket on each arm. The back dust cover has velcro to provide a finished back appearance. The back cushions also have velcro to hold them in place. Nice if you, like me, don't like the cushions that slouch down, never look like they did in the store, and I have to beat and puff into place all the time.

. You put the Back and bottom cushions on the couch and your done. Assembly with two guys took about 20 min, half of which was unpacking and unwrapping, no tools were required. It can be done by one person, but having two people made it a simple task.

Calling this a "sofa" is a bit of a stretch, it's more of a love seat and I think it would be difficult to comfortably seat 3 average sized adults.

The measurements in the description should read Length 73 inches, width 33 inches, they have those switched.

Once assembled I found an attractive gray couch with lighter gray trim. Jim, who is 5' 8" found the seat depth somewhat uncomfortable from his back to where his knee bends seemed long. My youngest son, at a hulking 6' 2" found it very comfortable. I thought it was fine, my legs are longer and Jim is longer in the torso and shorter in the leg, so even though we are almost the same height I have noticed we sit differently. Our other couches are about 21 inches from back cushion to couch curve front, this couch is 23 inches from cushion to edge of couch, only two inches, but it makes a difference.

The back and arms are short. The back hits me at the back of the neck, and the arms are fine unless you are a sideways sitter, then they are a bit short.

The couch weighs 95 lbs (shipping weight is 112).

The trim is not as white or crisp as the picture, it's a softer gray, very pretty. I realize the description of the couch is "graphite."

The material is an attractive gray and very comfortable. The cushions are firm, which I like, I'm not someone who likes sinking into a couch and feeling as if I'm being swallowed alive. The back is fine with a slight tilt back.

Overall this is a great little sofa (loveseat) and would look nice in either a modern or casual decor. The couch is comfortable and attractive.

AmazonBasics Padded Bed Bolster Bed, Medium
AmazonBasics Padded Bed Bolster Bed, Medium
Price: $19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Large Bed bolster, May 24, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The amazonBasics padded bed bolster is a nice large sized bed. Izzy has a standard medium sized travel-aire kennel and this bed is way to big. Other types of medium kennels seem to run around 30 inches long, this bed is 35 inches long. It states it fits crates 36 inches long, just be aware that usually isn't a "medium" sized crate.

If you want it as just a bed then it's very nice and well made. The stitching is tight, the material comfortable, and it doesn't seem to shed.

Dark Bamboo Cutting Board, Sanskrit by Gammelberg, 3-Piece Set
Dark Bamboo Cutting Board, Sanskrit by Gammelberg, 3-Piece Set
Offered by Gammelberg
Price: $19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice set of bamboo cutting boards, May 24, 2015
This dark bamboo cutting board set is very nice. I love the color contrasts and the sizes. My one issue is with the finishing on the inside of the handles. It's not smoothed down so they are very coarse and hard on the hand, scratchy.

Bamboo is a sustainable material that cleans up easily and looks great. The bamboo is easy on knives, glass is terrible on knife edges.

This is a good set, I just wish the quality of the handles inside had been better.

Anytime Tools Dial Caliper 6" / 150mm DUAL Reading Scale METRIC SAE Standard INCH MM
Offered by Anytime Tools
Price: $35.95
2 used & new from $35.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Suberb tool, May 24, 2015
Jim Says:

The Anytime Tools dial caliper is an superb tool. It gives readings in to both 0.02 mm and 0.001 inches so you do not have to buy two calipers. The Anytime dial caliper returned consistent results when measuring same object over repeated measurements. As a test, measured some new coins since I don’t have any standards. Measured coins, then compared results to the values published by the US Mint. Results were highly accurate.

Elite Platinum EPC-678SS MaxiMatic 11-Function Digital Pressure Cooker with Stainless Steel Pot, 6-Quart
Price: $78.29
14 used & new from $66.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Elite pressure cooker, May 22, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Elite platinum Pressure cooker is a good electric pressure cooker. It's easy to use, the lid locks tightly, this is not grandma's exploding pressure cooker. Modern pressure cookers are much safer.

One thing about electric pressure cookers is they don't tend to reach the pressure of stovetop. I find adding two-five minutes onto any recipe aimed at stove top pressure cookers works wonders. Two for quicker foods like potatoes, up to five for meals with red meat.

The Elite pressure cooker comes with 9 pre-programmed menu functions for Vegetables/Fish, Potatoes, White rice, Soup/Stew, Beef/Meat, Chicken, Bean/Chili, Steam, Slow Cook. I find most work just fine, though I often prefer just to put my own times on. As a slow cooker it's fine and makes it more than one use.

Mine works fine, but it appears this might be a bit hit or miss. I would say try it out a couple of times in the first 30 days and keep the box, just in case.

The inner pot is stainless steel, my other electric pressure cooker is non stick. Both work fine, but I would imagine this one is more durable.

Scubapro MK21/S560 Regulator
Scubapro MK21/S560 Regulator
Offered by Dolphin Scuba Center
Price: $539.00
7 used & new from $539.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific regulator, May 21, 2015
This review is from: Scubapro MK21/S560 Regulator
My husband has owned a Scubapro Mark VII, a Dacor Olympic, and a Poseidon Cyklon regulator. This is his opinion:

Recently purchased a Scubapro Mark21/S560 he had a chance to try it at John Pennekamp State Park. It is a superb regulator. Air flow starts with virtually no effort, and stops flow with minimal resistance. Some regulators take an effort to stop airflow once it has begun leaving you feeling like a balloon. Regulator did not have any tendency to free-flow. Despite its compact size,

it still has two HP and a total of four LP ports allowing the user to configure regulator to suit their particular preferences. Compact size also cuts the weight of the regulator making it ideal for travel.

Exhaust port may appear to be too small, but I did not have any problems with bubbles getting into my field of view. Really like the small, light second stage. It is very comfortable in the mouth and creates virtually no drag when swimming or looking around. Love this regulator.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20