Profile for David Robert > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 47

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

David Robert RSS Feed (North Central, PA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
AFAITH® Professional SLR Camera Tripod Monopod & Ball Head Portable Compact Travel up to 35lbs
Offered by AFAITH
Price: $95.99
2 used & new from $95.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Rugged, Lightweight & Compact - Similar to MeFoto RoadTrip at 1/2 the Price!, February 23, 2015
Being on the Road a Ton, Needing to Travel Light in the Backcounty (and on Planes) and Having to Shoot a LOT of My Own Video and Photos alone - for Ultimate Survival Tips on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/user/UltimateSurvivalTips ... I've been doing a lot of research and have been looking for a lightweight yet rugged and compact tripod for several months.

I almost pulled the trigger on the MeFoto Roadtrip when I found this gem... Which upon closer inspection seemed to line up REALLY, REALLY closely in spec, look and function to the MeFoto and some other "brands."

Like MANY Others - I have found about NOTHING wrong with the AFAITH Tripod which is sturdy and sufficient for my DSLRs and Canon XA-20... And as far as I can tell this tripod is exactly the same - as the MeFoto Roadtrip (with a few style tweaks) at around 1/2 the price.

NOW let me say that for the extra cost MeFoto will give you up to a 5 Year Warranty (3-years standard - 2 extra if you simply register your purchase). So if the warranty is important to you... You may consider shelling out the extra moolah...

For me... this one is worth the risk for 1/2 the cost.

Now, I selected this dude over some smaller travel tripods (like the MeFoto Backpacker and Slik Sprint Mini II) because with the center column extended of this Afaith tripod - I get about 61" of height... and with my DSLR battery pack and camera body this lifts my camera up to almost eye level (I'm around 5' 10" tall)... The reason I personally wanted the height...
1) So I don't have to bend over much... I'm getting older ya know...
2) Because when shooting video intros - I like to shoot at eye level... and a 42" or 52" max. height just won't do.

As far as stability, components, fit finish etc...

The AFaith is right up there with some of my other favorite tripods from Vanguard and stuff from Manfrotto...

And the cool thing is that this puppy folds down to around 14" and DOES come with a high quality padded nylon case with shoulder strap. Mine is a digital dessert camo pattern... Which suits me just fine.

MOST cool about this tripod though is that it can pack up INSIDE my backpack and doesn't have to strap to the outside where it could get hung up on an adventure.

So I have NO complaints... This IS a great tripod... However I have a few items that would make this tripod even more ridiculously awesome than it already is - for the price...

1) The ball head has 2 levels on on top and one on the detachable plate knob for shooting in portrait. Unfortunately the top one... for shooting video and landscape photos... is totally covered when I mount my Canon T5i on top as well as my Canon XA-20. So, it would be super cool in the future to have the "top" level be mounted on the back and side of the of the mount so that a true horizontal level could be achieve on the fly.
2) Having some MOLLE compatible webbing sewn on the case would be nice (which would cost the company about nothing) and make it easier and more secure to mount this tripod externally on a rucksack to keep it protected, reduce snag points and not take up valuable pack room.

NOTE on the Weight: Just know that this tripod weighs in at around 3.5 or 3.6 lbs... so it's NOT the lightest tripod ever... but for it's compactness, stability, rugged build and size it's hard to beat.

NOW... If you really need to cut weight - Afaith offer this same tripod in Carbon Fiber for about twice the price and a 1/2 pound drop in weight... but for almost another $100 - I'll just add a few more squats to may exercise routine... (Even though the hike in price for THIS tripod in Carbon fiber is still darn cheap compared to other "brands").

That's pretty much my "wishlist"... We'll see how this tripod does over time... and quite possibly in the Amazon Jungle this fall...

The bottom line is - for the price, weight, stability, fit and finish and compactness, this guy is quite impressive.

The BEST Travel Money Belt Superior Quality 12 Month Money Back Guarantee the Undercover Hidden Waist Stash Is a Secure Safe Comfortable Lightweight Anti Theft Pouch for Protecting Cash, Credit Cards, Passport and Boarding Cards for Men and Women While Travelling
Offered by Landing Gear™
Price: $33.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Survival Money Belt - Invisible, Comfortable, Safe and Secure, January 26, 2015
Being the Founder of Ultimate Survival Tips (check us out on YouTube) - Travel has become a major part of my regular life... And being prepared to survive travel well - for me - means securing and organizing cash, credit cards, boarding passes and filing receipts. On my most recent trip, I used the Landing Gear Travel Money Belt and was VERY surprised with it's capacity to carry and organize my most important stuff in a way that was totally concealed and comfortable. It looks cool too as mine was a most manly brown with classy stamped-look "Landing Gear" logo. The elastic waist band is adjustable and comfortable... so much so that I forgot that I had it on. Boarding passes fit in the larger pouch without folding and the smaller front pouch held my receipts. Two inner net pouches (inside the larger zipper pouch) organize credit cards and cash - beside larger items like Passport and Boarding Passes. As others have said - the Landing Gear Money Belt is easily concealable under my cloths and can be carried in 3 major ways: In pants carry for deep concealment, around the upper waist - facing the front, or spun around to the back. Plus it's nice to know that it has RFID protection... although I have not tested this feature. Not to mention the fact that this money pouch for what you get is ridiculously affordable at sub - $20 US at the time of this review. Can you tell I like it? My guess is that you will too...

Titan Military 550 Paracord, with Official Fastener - Includes 2 FREE Paracord Project eBooks - This is the same Parachute Cord used by U.S. and Canadian Defense Forces - 100 FEET, NYLON, BLACK
Offered by Titan™ Paracord
Price: $15.97

5.0 out of 5 stars It's ALL True! Titan 550 Paracord ROCKS for Survival!, December 12, 2014
As an Outdoorsman and founder of Ultimate Survival Tips (look us up on Google)... I've tested and used a lot of paracord at home and in the field - over the years - and I can tell you that all 550 Paracord is NOT created equal. And in a survival, bug out, disaster, or emergency situation, when you may need every yarn, strand and the outer casing of your paracord to hold fast and stay strong - you don't want to make the mistake of trusting your health, safety or life to cheap inferior paracord.

Enter Titan...

Made in the USA - Titan Paracord is the Toughest Mil Spec Type III 550 Paracord that I've Found this Side of the Marine Corps - to date. Titan Paracord Lives in My Personal Survival Kit's and Bug Out Bags and Has Never Let Me Down! It's rugged and stands up to hard use. In one of many uses, retie my boots with this stuff because I know it will stand up to the rigors living on my boots, of making a stout bow string (for a bow drill friction fire) and will survive to resume it's former duty. I also keep about 100 feet in every survival and emergency kit.

On the down side, Titan Paracord is about twice the cost of other "Type III 550" but you WILL notice a big difference in a side by side comparison. You DO get what you pay for when it come to paracord. And you will quickly notice how skinny and undernourished most other paracord seems compared to Titan. Even so, because I use so much of the stuff... I do keep a 500 foot spool of the next best "550" around for training, experimenting and general non-critical use.

But when and where it counts the most - like emergency kits and BOBs... Titan will always have a home.

If you're not sure what the big deal with paracord is - search YouTube for "550 Paracord - How Can It Save Your Life" and Our Paracord Basics - Part 1 Video should come up #1. Hope this helps y'all.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2014 11:14 AM PST

NutriGold Whole-Food Women's Multi Gold - 90 Veggie Capsules - Organic WholeFood Multivitamin Supplements with Minerals and Co-Factors for Superior Absorption and No Unpleasant Aftertaste (With Iron For Women) Food-Based, Gentle, Non-GMO, and No Synthetic Vitamins
Offered by BuyHerbs
Price: $27.99
2 used & new from $27.99

5.0 out of 5 stars High Quality, Non-GMO, Organic Supplement!, December 12, 2014
My wife and I both received one each of the NutriGold Men's and Women's Multi and enjoy the fact that this is a very high-quality multivitamin - no genetically modified ingredients and all nutrients derived from organic real foods. THIS is what ALL supplements should be! Don't be fooled by labels and read where your supplements come from! Don't assume that they are all good for you! At any rate, Nutri-gold is a multi that is made with a conscience to provide only the best. Science plus standards= a win-win for us all.

Organic Whole Food Multivitamin - Men's Multi Gold - 90 Veggie Capsules, NutriGold Whole-food Vitamins and Supplements with Minerals and Co-Factors for Superior Absorption and No Unpleasant Aftertaste (Without Iron For Men) Food-Based, Gentle, Non-GMO, and No Synthetic Vitamin Isolates
Offered by BuyHerbs
Price: $27.99
2 used & new from $27.99

Out of the box, these vitamins speak quality. The ingredients are carefully chosen and non-GMO, organic!! This is so important when one knows the reality of the assault we face from so many toxins and genetically altered foods - I don't want my supplement to be registered by my body as a toxin! SO, all that to say, this is a great choice for a dietary supplement. The levels of nutrients included are not hyper-amped, which assumes I eat relatively well, which I do. Supplements are meant to be just that: supplemental to a nutrient-conscious eating lifestyle.

OXA Juice Box S2 10000mAh External Battery 5V 1A/2A Power Bank Charger with Digital Screen and LED Flashlight for Smart Phones, iPhone, iPod, Samsung, Tablets, Notebooks, Laptops and and Most USB Powered Devices(Jet Black)
Offered by OXA USA COM
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Survived Survival Training - And Kept My iPhone Going Strong in the Sticks, July 18, 2014
As the Founder of Ultimate Survival Tips - I'm always looking for good gear that I can EDC (every day carry) around town or into the field to keep my technology going... I've tested a bunch of battery back up units with my iPhone (and other gear) and so far NONE beats the OXA Juice Box S2...

There are a couple of reasons for this:

1) The shear storage capacity of this unit. At a stated 10,000 mAH I have gotten up to 5 iPhone 5 charges without recharging. This was critical earlier this year during survival training when I did not have easy access to power for multiple days.

2) The display on this unit is simple genius. Most all, it tells you exactly the percentage that the unit is charged... AND whether it is being charged or charging another device. I can't tell you how important is was knowing the percentage of power left in the unit. Most chargers have a few lights that represent how much the unit is charged which is not very helpful at all and can leave you unexpectedly with less backup power than you thought you had.

3) With 2 USB out ports you can charge 2 devices at once. This is at times very helpful.

4) The housing is rugged enough and there is a thick felt-type case that comes with it that comfortably fits the unit and charging cable. Mine is light gray and it has a little clear bead and loop thing to keep the pouch closed and the unit in the pouch. I would have preferred a camo or OD Green color... but the pouch was included and it worked. So slap me if I complain again :)

5) This unit REALLY cranks out the power when charging! I have found it to charge my gear as fast as when I plug in directly to an AC USB adapter. This rocks... as many chargers must be amped down somehow and seem to take MUCH, MUCH, MUCH longer to charge devices, especially iPhones.

Other thoughts...

This guy does has a LED light on it.... which is handy. You just hold the "on" button for a second or two and it comes on... same deal turns it off.

NOW... On the downside... it take forever to charge this puppy! Did I say forever? So you are really going to want to charge it with a wall outlet. It holds a LOT of portable power so I guess it's excusable that it takes at least 8 or 10 hours to fully charge. I plugged it into my mid-sized Goal Zero Solar Charging Kit and it sucked the thing dry and still was not fully charged. So if you need to be off grid for a week or so and want to keep your mini-tablet or iPhone charged and don't want to drop like $300 or $400 bucks on a solar kit... just buy several of these units. Heck, they're affordable enough.

What else? Oh, it comes with a boat load of adapters... but I just tossed what I didn't need in the drawer.

Oh... and it's black and not pink or purple so that's good... Although I STILL want a Camo or Military looking pouch for mine... LOL

Overall, it's a GREAT deal at the current Amazon price and far better than any portable charger that I have tested at twice the price.

I say, "go for it!"

Silky Folding Landscaping Hand Saw POCKETBOY 130 Large Teeth 346-13
Silky Folding Landscaping Hand Saw POCKETBOY 130 Large Teeth 346-13
Offered by AtoZ JAPAN
Price: $27.95
24 used & new from $25.88

5.0 out of 5 stars For Survival there is ONLY ONE Folding Saw - Silky!!!, June 10, 2014
As the Founder and chief bottle washer of Ultimate Survival Tips (look us up on Google)... I test a TON of gear. Plus when it comes to folding saws... I have my degree in Landscape Architecture and many moons ago started and ran a few marginally successful landscape design and maintenance companies... so I KNEW that most if not all folding saws were terrible.

But recently I went to a 40 day survival training in Arkansas. We were supposed to bring a folding saw, so I totally avoided the whole folding landscape saw genre and bought a Bob Dustrude's quick buck saw instead.

Now old Bob's saw kicked butt, however it was a bit big and didn't fit inside my small scout pack and certainly could not fit in my pocket or on my belt.

So after about 2 weeks of analyzing what my survival comrades were using for folding saws and trying them all out... I became obvious that Silky folding saws were the best of the best.

We all saw (get it) that they simply cut faster with less effort than Bahco, Corona and others. I first purchased the Super Silky BIGBOY with extra large teeth and found that it cut through large logs nearly as fast as my Bob Dustrude's saw AND it DID fit in my scout pack.

But I wanted a small pocketable saw too... so I picked up this Sliky PocketBoy. And man am I happy.

This little guy eats wood for breakfast, lunch and dinner and I hardly break a sweat cutting with it, even on hot days. It's perfect for survival and bushcraft and handles all but the largest taskes... And did I say it fits in my pocket or bag and is hardly noticeable?

I honestly am not sure how Silky (a Japanese company) does it. Is it some mystical steel or a unique cutting blade pattern... But honestly I don't really care.

All I know is that Silky folding saws are the best I've used in 25 years - period. They make cutting as easy as it can get be from a human powered folding saw... and have proved to be a valuable and stout tools for bushcraft and survival.

I now have a silky saw in every bug out bag I own.

Goal Zero 42011 Sherpa 100 Solar Recharging Kit
Goal Zero 42011 Sherpa 100 Solar Recharging Kit
Price: $599.95
7 used & new from $599.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally! Portable Solar Power that Works in the Field!, June 10, 2014
As the founder of Ultimate Survival Tips (look us up on Google)... I see a lot of alternative energy survival and emergency gear / charging solutions... But honestly, most of them don't work very well... or at all... Especially when you really need them.

I won't mention any names, but every other big name portable solar charging solution that I have tried has failed in our testing... UNTIL I discovered Goal Zero.

I recently spent 40 days doing survival training and needed packable solar charging system that would keep my cameras and iPhone/s alive in the field so that I could communicate and shoot video... and my Goal Zero Sherpa 100 did just fine.

The Sherpa 100 Kit includes the Sherpa 100 charger with removable AC inverter AND the Nomad 20 foldable and packable solar panel. I won't get into ALL of the ridiculously well thought out aspects of this package but I will say that this guy works and does charge up to full in 10 - 20 hours of direct sunlight.

You will want to reposition the panel every hour or so to capture direct sun rays for fastest charging.

Honestly, I want my Sherpa to charge up full in a day so I will be buying a second Nomad 20 Solar Panel soon. This should do it.

Now with this unit... you always know how you are doing with regards to charging and how much power you have left in the until because of the front LCD screen that reports the percentage full.

As far as outputs there are 2 super efficient USB ports (should charge an iPhone 6-8 times per full charge), a 12V port that takes a car cigarette lighter adapter... and there is even a direct DC port for laptops (many laptop adapters are included in this package). Did I say this until was well thought out?

One note... Goal Zero does not currently offer an adapter for MacBook Pros... which is my BIGGEST bummer about this system. When I bought it they had an adapter... and when I went to buy the adapter, if was NOT on their website... So I guess it must have had issues since they pulled if from their line.

NOW, you can just plug your stuff (like a Macbook Pro and other small AC devices) directly into the included AC adapter... but it's not all that efficient and only runs my computer for about 1-2 hours max before it's out of juice. I guess I need to get a MacBook Air for working in the field.

But the inverter DOES work just fine... but it's just like any inverter though and is NOT nearly as efficient as going 12V DC direct.

So if you want to charge camera batteries and the like... make sure you have a car charging adapter and then it will plug right into the front 12V adapter and you will get the most out of this unit.

This Sherpa 100 kit includes wall and car charger adapters, yep... so you can just plug in to charge the unit up.

These work great and power the unit to full in just 3 - 4 hours... Keeping this unit full and available at home will give you some basic emergency power options when needed.

Now one cool thing about this (and many other Goal Zero units) is that you can daisy chain additional solar panels together to charge your Sherpa 100 even faster.

For instance, every Nomad 20 panel comes equipped with a cable / adapter to link more than one panel together. I like how Goal Zero just pretty much includes everything you need in this package.

As far as durability, the solar panel is designed tough and is water proof... It folds up for packing and has strong nylon looks sewn around it so you can hang the panel. Now the Sherpa 100 charger IS build pretty tough but is NOT waterproof.

So when weather was questionable I put the Sherpa 100 in a small transparent dry bag (so I can see the screen to ensure that it is charging) and connected it to the Nomad 20 panel.

In nice weather the Sherpa 100 fits in a perfectly sized nylon net pouch that is attached to the back of one of the panels on the Nomad 20. All of the cables for connecting the panel to the Sherpa are in there too so there is IS quite enough room for everyone.

The built-in pouch and the way this package folds up together also makes transporting or storing the unit in a bug out bag, suit case, back pack or on a shelf easy.

This package then folds down to around the footprint of a standard sized piece of printer paper and weighs only around 5 pounds... which is not bad considering the potential of this unit.

There are a lot of other cool things that I could say about the thoughtful engineering and design of this unit... but the proof is in the pudding and this thing actually works and works well and is VERY versatile.

One last story... so when I went to my 40 day survival training, 3 of the other guys also showed up with Goal Zero units... and all of us agreed... For portable Solar Power... Goal Zero is the best choice because it works - PERIOD.

Falling Skies Season 1
Falling Skies Season 1
Price: $15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Aliens... Are You Serious?, March 28, 2014
Okay, I admit it... I'm a student of (and maybe a sucker for) post apocalyptic survival drama. Natural disasters, geopolitical issues, terrorists and maybe even zombies... Sure. But Aliens called, Mechs, Skitters and Fish Heads taking over the planet... I didn't see how they were going to pull it off and make it beleivable. But I must say I'm hooked. Stability in an otherwise chaotic world is brought to the series through Tom (an ever optimistic, competent and hopeful professor) and his love for people and his sons. Against overwhelming odds (and a lot of casualties) the fighters of the 2nd Mass (and the civilians they protect) try to stay alive and do so with as much dignity and virtue they can muster. This series is not for everyone... But almost!

Survival Water Bags - Outdoors and Camping 1 Liter Stand Up Emergency Water Bag (Pack of 3)
Offered by ToysNGamesEtc
Price: $6.40
5 used & new from $6.39

5.0 out of 5 stars THE Ultimate in Simple, Rugged, Portable, Survival Water Carrier, October 25, 2013
Since I am the founder of Ultimate Survival Tips (search for us on Google) I get to see about every cool innovation in survival gear imaginable. And one thing's for sure, if you are in a WCS (worst case scenario) crisis you are going to need water within hours, or at the least a day or two, to survive. But the problem is, how to carry and store water until you need it.

Since traditional water carriers are big and bulky, and heck, besides my wife and I, I don't know anyone who carried a large capacity water bottle or carrier EVERYWHERE the go most people have a real problem on their hands if all of a sudden they are stuck with no means to transport or carry water.

So the WhirlPack 1 Liter stand up bags are a perfect EDC (every day carry) for every bug out bag, survival and emergency kit.
This particular pack comes with 3- 1 liter (about a quart) bags. So with 3 of these, you can carry and store about enough water to keep you alive for a day even in arid climates.

The unique thing about these bags is that the bottom flattens out and there is a heavy duty closure system at the top... similar but more useful than the wire closure systems on coffee bags. With the bottom flattened out and the wire closure opened and formed into an oval you can pour water directly into these without them falling over like standard bags.

Because of the wire top, you can also easily scoop water from a stream, pond or lake or set the bag up to catch droplets or run off while you go and do other things.

And because the bages are over 60% clear (with about 1/3 of the bag having a white mark-able area to write on) you can set these puppies out in full sun for a day or two and let the UV rays of the sun solarize and thus kill a good lot of the nasties in the water reducing your chance of getting sick from drinking untreated water.

I carry at least one of these bags in every survival kit I own or have built. I highly recommend that you do to.

~David