Profile for S. Aldrich > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

S. Aldrich RSS Feed (Cypress, TX)

Page: 1 | 2
Pandemic: A Novel (Infected Book 3)
Pandemic: A Novel (Infected Book 3)
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, just... wow, May 17, 2014
This was an amazing ending to the trilogy. Congratulations to Mr. Sigler and his team for a really wonderful story. And please Hollywood: make these into movies!!

This is True [v1]: Deputy Kills Man With Hammer: And 500 Other Bizarre-but-True Stories and Headlines from the World's Press
Price: $6.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A great collection!, January 18, 2014
If you like Randy's "This is True" column, you'll love this! It's easy to pick up and put down when you need a few minutes of laughing at other people's silliness. Definitely worth getting.

Travelon ID and Boarding Pass / Passport Holder with Snap Closure
Travelon ID and Boarding Pass / Passport Holder with Snap Closure
Offered by Cambridge Select
Price: $9.76
5 used & new from $5.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, well designed, November 17, 2013
This is an excellent product -- boarding passes fit nicely in the inside clear pouch, which was especially nice for a multi-stop trip. I keep the "non active" boarding passes there, and the active one in the back part with my passport, so I can get at those very quickly. The pen is an excellent idea, especially since it's so small: while everyone else was borrowing pens to fill out customs forms, I always had one with me. This was thoughtfully designed and I'm happy I bought it.

Through Gilly's Eyes: Memoirs of a Guide Dog
Through Gilly's Eyes: Memoirs of a Guide Dog
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A very heartwarming story, September 7, 2013
This book is the story not only of Gilly - and told from his perspective - but of Matt's life as he learns other cultures, and I particularly enjoyed that aspect. You gain appreciation not only what it is like to live there, but the added perspective of living there when one can't see. I'm very glad I read it and look forward to re-reading in years to come.

Logitech PS3 / PS2 Wireless Guitar Controller
Logitech PS3 / PS2 Wireless Guitar Controller

5.0 out of 5 stars I could not be happier with this controller!, July 7, 2013
I bought this almost 3 years ago and it is still going strong. It feels like a real guitar and the keys and controls are all quite smooth. The keys are not silent, but they are very quiet. When I've taken this to a friends' to play GH or RB on his machine, everybody wanted to try it and wanted one of their own. I am delighted with this controller.

The Shambling Guide to New York City (The Shambling Guides)
The Shambling Guide to New York City (The Shambling Guides)
Offered by Hachette Book Group
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I can hardly wait for the next book in this series!!, July 4, 2013
I have listened to several of Mur's other podcasts and really enjoyed them, and didn't even know she had this story out until I heard about it on a Scott Sigler podcast. Mur is a wonderful writer and it's always a treat when she releases a new series. Based on how much I enjoyed her other work, and the intriguing title of this one, I expected to enjoy it, and I was not disappointed.

I can hardly wait for the next book in this series!!

PetSafe Anti-Bark Spray Collar, Citronella
PetSafe Anti-Bark Spray Collar, Citronella
Price: $35.29
70 used & new from $35.00

5.0 out of 5 stars I am delighted!!!, March 10, 2012
I have a 9 year old dalmatian that barks whenever someone comes home, the hour before dinner time and whenever my other dogs play in the yard. It's a very shrill bark and after a few minutes it really gave me a headache. We had tried several things like treats, temporarily putting her in her overnight crate and of course scolding her, but none of those worked. We didn't want to hurt her, and this seemed like a great solution, *IF* it worked. I had read through the reviews here, and it seems like about 1/4 of the time, the dog doesn't respond. Fortunately, ours did -- she barked once and was very surprised to get a small spray. A few seconds later, she barked again, and the same thing happened, and that was it! This has worked beautifully! Note that the instructions say you should keep it on your dog no more than 4 hours at a time, but I found that keeping it on her for 30 minutes to an hour at key times is all it takes.

She still barks, but no longer the incessant barking -- usually just a few times when she is excited, and now all I have to do is pick up the collar and she stops. I've been putting it on her less because of that, which is fine with both of us. This ended up being the perfect solution for us.

Garmin Portable Friction Mount
Garmin Portable Friction Mount
Offered by Relaxo
Price: $18.59
164 used & new from $17.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent mount, January 5, 2008
I purchased a Garmin Nuvi and thought that the suction mount that came with it would be enough. It did work quite well, but I was concerned that the place I normally mounted it (driver's window) would cause a charger cord to be across my lap when under power. Also, I had heard that thieves look for the suction cup mark on your windshield to target your car for GPS theft. So I ordered this because my other Garmin unit came with one. This is excellent -- it is easy to snap the unit into and out of, and it is extremely stable. I've taken some hard turns and the unit stays very stable on the dashboard. I'm quite glad I ordered it!

Playstation 2 Rock Band Special Edition
Playstation 2 Rock Band Special Edition
10 used & new from $92.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait...., December 30, 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
We originally ordered this from Amazon around Nov 2007, but Amazon cancelled the order canceled shortly afterwards because of product shortages. And yet local retailers continued to get them in very short supply. So we took to checking local retailers each morning to see if they had a new shipment for most of December until we finally got lucky.

We've had a blast with it thank goodness, since after waiting this long, my kids' expectations were VERY high. Three instruments come in the box: guitar, drums and microphone. The game comes with a USB splitter that allows you to connect up to 4 instruments at once into the USB port on the PS2. We *WERE* able to use the guitar we have for Guitar Hero (a Red Octane wireless version for PS2) with this game, giving us a band of lead guitar, bass, drums and microphone. I like that we can keep switching around and try the different instruments. It gives you a lot of different perspectives on the same song!

Guitar:
The guitar is excellent. We've been using a Red Octane PS2 wireless Guitar with the Guitar Hero 1-3 games, and while good, aren't as good as the one that came with Rock Band (RB). The new RB one has an extra set of buttons farther up the neck for solos and there are NOT ridges (fret bars) between the keys on this one as there were on the GH guitar. This makes it easier to slide fingers along the buttons with this guitar than it was with the GH guitar, making it easier for the fast sections.

The songs are orchestrated a little more easily, I normally play GH at a "hard" level and get 3-5 stars there... on Rock Band I was able to sight read and get most songs at 5 stars on my first try, so I think they are easier in general.

Drums:
My kids LOVE the drums, and they take some coordination to play. Since I'm not a drummer, it's hard to add a lot here. The height is very quick and easy to adjust which is nice when there are dramatic differences int eh height of the players. The sticks that come with the set are fairly low end wooden ones... we use better ones we already had from a music store with nylon tips that are more solid and feel better. The heads on the drums are very solid feeling and have some give. They don't bounce like real drum heads, but are close enough for us non drummers to get a feel for it. The overall set is a little rickety -- the vertical bars that hold up the heads look like they are just plastic pipe and they will rock back and forth a little. That doesn't really affect the play, but it doesn't have a solid feel unfortunately.

Microphone:
A mic comes in the box and it seems to also be nice and solid. We also have the mics from the SingStar series, and these are shorter than those. We haven't checked to see if they are interchangable yet. The ones with Rock Band have longer cords which is nice -- you can spread out a little more. Some songs also allow you to use the mic like a tambourine and the singer's part (between phrases) sometimes shows a rhythm the singer uses to tap out a tambourine part.

Bass:
A bass does *NOT* come with this game. However, like the GH series, you can select whether the guitar you hook up plays a guitar part or a bass part. So if you hook up the guitar that comes with Rock Band and then another guitar that you already have, you can have one person take the guitar part and the other take the bass. This is about the same in RB as in GH, and as noted the tracks in RB are easier in my opinion.

Overall, an excellent effort and I look forward to being able to get the inevitable add on song packs. Just like GH came out with an "Encore: the 80's" product, I would LOVE to see add on disks for RB. If anyone from the RB team is listening, I'd love to see "genre disks" in particular, like Country hits, Hip Hop hits, best of an era, etc.

300 8" Lumistick Brand Glow Light Stick Bracelets WHOLESALE PACK
300 8" Lumistick Brand Glow Light Stick Bracelets WHOLESALE PACK
Offered by The Green Group LLC
Price: $22.95
4 used & new from $22.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stocking stuffer!, December 30, 2007
I bought this as a stocking stuffer for my kids and it was a big hit! They came packed in a box containing 3 hard sided tubes that protected the bracelets and I took one tubes' worth and split it among the kids. There were enough that they can use them every night and they don't (yet) know I have more in reserve for other special occasions. :)

I counted 5 colors in total: green, yellow, red/pink, orange and blue in the box which was plenty for the kids.

I thought the price was great, it was shipped promptly, and was packaged properly so that they all arrived intact. I'd buy these again, and they are MUCH more economical purchased this was than purchasing them in smaller bunches at party stores. We've done that in the past for camping, birthday parties, Halloween, fourth of July, etc.

Page: 1 | 2