Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Deals on DOTD
Profile for K. Waide > Reviews

K. Waide's Profile

Customer Reviews: 29

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

K. Waide "Child of God" RSS Feed (PA, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Price: $15.45
30 used & new from $9.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Jammin' Fun Workouts!, December 17, 2014
The Jammin' Gym is a fun way to get children up and moving. It is shaped like a free weight and comes complete with flashing lights, music and a "coach" giving instructions for each exercise. There is also a wristband which is meant to ensure it doesn't fly off during play and damage something, hurt the child, or break. An instruction book is also included. When the children are ready to play, they will turn it on and the coach will tell them to press the green button to get started. It always starts with a warm-up routine and then moves into the workout. The coach will give them specific directions and encouragement while the lights flash in different patterns and various musical tunes play. The music and lights mix together with 65 different kid-friendly exercises to provide tons of variety. If they come to an exercise they really enjoy, they may press the repeat button to do it again.

All of the children (ages 2, 4, 6 and 7) are able to get involved with our workouts using the Jammin' Gym. The rubber handle is easy to grip by young children and adults. The music is lively and the instructions are quite helpful, though there are times it is hard to hear as the children are busy dancing around and being loud. The repeat button is also helpful for being able to listen to the instructions again if needed.

This is a wonderful product for getting children excited to be exercising. There are so many different exercises, the children will have lots of variety to keep it fun.

The one thing I would love to see changed is the wrist strap. Though we have never dropped the Jammin' Gym while using it, I could see it happening as the strap is actually big for my wrist. I would love if they could make an adjustable strap to ensure it will remain securely on the child's hand while in use.

Price: $13.97
25 used & new from $13.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Game for Family Fun, November 30, 2014
Robot Face Race is a "frantically fun feature-finding game!" The game comes with a game board, 20 robot scoring tokens (5 per color), the robot randomizer, and instructions. There are many different robot heads on the game board, 120 to be exact, and they are all unique. The object of the game is to find the correct head as determined by the randomizer. What exactly is the robot randomizer? The randomizer is the domed container that is shaken during the beginning of each round of play. There are 5 different color balls that settle into the holes, one of which is deeper than the rest so the extra ball falls underneath and out of view. The balls that are seen show the players what color the robot face features need to be. The shape of the head does not matter. Only one robot head will match the required specifications.

It is a race to find the correct head. The first one to find it gets to claim it with their token. The first player to claim 5 robot heads is the winner.

As you can imagine, there is a lot of concentration going on during this game. Sometimes it can take a while to find the correct robot head. I have developed a strategy that I am trying to convince the girls to use. I start out by looking for the head/eye color combination, looking only in one quarter of the board. If I find one then I check for the mouth and nose. If the robot head isn't found in that section, I move on to the next.

My 7 year old daughter has caught on quite well with the strategy of this game and doesn't have any problem with the visual discrimination needed. Her younger sisters are struggling a bit though. My 6 year old daughter gets the concept, she just isn't as fast. My 4 year old needs quite the bit of guidance to find the correct robot head. Daddy helps her out by having her focus on one section at a time.

Not only are the children learning to hone their visual discrimination and concentration skills, they are learning to be patient and show deference while thinking of the younger sisters' feelings. We don't want anyone to feel frustrated while playing a game that is meant to be fun, so there are times we ask our oldest daughter to give her sisters a chance to find the robot head first.

This game is such a blast to play, even my oldest daughter, who is 18, enjoys the game and wants to play with her sisters. The amount of time that game-play takes will depend on how fast the players can find the head with the specified features. The winner is the one to find 5 first, but we usually continue playing until everyone has a chance to use all their tokens.

Robot Face Race from Educational Insights is geared for children who are ages 4 and up. The ease of play will depend on each child's developmental level.

Disclosure: I received Robot Face Race from Educational Insights in exchange for my honest review. I received no further compensation. This did not in any way influence my review. I only recommend products I use personally.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Educational Insights GeoSafari Jr. My First Microscope
Educational Insights GeoSafari Jr. My First Microscope
Price: $14.02
46 used & new from $14.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Early Scientific Exploration Made Fun with GeoSafari Jr. My First Microscope, October 6, 2014
For the science-minded child, you know, the ones that are curious about everything and want to explore their world, Educational Insights now has a preschooler-friendly microscope. The microscope comes with an instruction manual, though it is so easy to use, I found I didn't even need to use it. A child can choose an object that they would like to look at more closely and place it on the tray. There are two child-sized knobs on either side of the microscope allow the child to rise or lower the microscope to bring the object into perfect view. The viewer itself has two eyepieces, similar to a pair of binoculars, so a little child doesn't need to worry about focusing with one eye as they would need to do with a grown-up microscope. The eye pieces are soft and large enough that a child can see with no problem. There is even a working light (which does require 3- AAA batteries) which is turned on with a simple push of a button.
The children have had a blast finding objects to magnify. We have gone outside and found leaves and other objects, plus we were able to use it to get a closer look at the shells we were observing during our "Beach" unit. The GeoSafari Jr. My First Microscope is a wonderful way for children to get a close up look at their world. The knobs are easy to turn, though a child may have to figure out which way they should be turning them. Obviously this isn't a professional microscope where you are going to get tons of magnification. However, there is enough magnification for a young child to be able to notice details they can not see while looking at an object with the naked eye.

Disclosure: I received the GeoSafari Jr. My First Microscope from Educational Insights in exchange for my honest review. I received no further compensation. This did not in any way influence my review.

Weeding Out Wheat: A Simple, Scientific, Faith-Based Guide
Weeding Out Wheat: A Simple, Scientific, Faith-Based Guide
Price: $9.95

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Book That Convinced Me of the Necessity to Go Wheat-Free, December 30, 2013
This is a wonderful book on the topic of eating wheat-free. I had been thinking of trying a wheat-free diet because of the way my health has been. I know people who have to eat gluten-free diets because of Celiac disease and wheat sensitivities. However, I wasn't sure if this was truly something that would be causing me my discomfort. I am so glad I took the time to read this book. The author's spent quite a bit of time studying and reading up on what some probably consider a new fad.
I love that they explain in an easy to understand manner why modern wheat is so different from ancient wheat, because I know I had questioned why, if wheat has been around since the beginning of creation, are so many people finding themselves sensitive to wheat all of a sudden.
The authors share many different conditions that can be linked to wheat consumption. I know my daughter has suffered migraines for a while and to find out they can be possibly linked to wheat was something that had never been mentioned. And migraines are just one of a huge list of problems that people suffer.
I love that they included testimonials of individuals who have discovered the benefits of going wheat-free. From stomach aches that stopped, to skin problems going away and even "brain fog" being lifted you will find that going wheat-free can have multiple benefits.
It was also comforting that they addressed the question "Is eating wheat-free Biblical?" Wheat and bread were so important in Biblical times that some may wonder how to reconcile going wheat-free with their spiritual lives. It comes down to this, "Wheat is a provision, not an obligation."
The book concludes with guidelines on what to eat once one gives up wheat. The focus is on eating healthy and not substituting junk for the wheat that has been given up.
While I would love to give the book 5 stars, part of me is fighting against the fact that meat is included in the ideal diet. When I went vegan almost 10 years ago for about half a year I really could see the benefits of also taking meat out of my diet.
I could feel the benefits within a week of taking wheat out of my diet a couple of months ago. Unfortunately I could also feel the harm of adding wheat back in when I slipped up during the holidays.
All in all this is a great book that convinced me of the importance of taking wheat and possibly other grains out of my diet, reassuring me that it was not anti-Biblical.

Putting On the Spirit: Ten-Minute Devotions for Busy Moms: A Daily Devotional for Real Life Women
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Study in the Fruit of the Spirit for Busy Moms, December 10, 2013
Katie's focus in this study is the Fruit of the Spirit and taking off our "Super Mom" capes to put on the Spirit, because in our own strength we will fail. She does this in short devotions that take approximately ten minutes, figuring that all moms have ten minutes they can find in the day to spend with the Lord. Personally, I like to fit my devotions in before the children wake up in the morning, but everyone is encouraged to find a time that works for them.
This devotional is 25 short pages but it sure packs a whole lot of punch for your spiritual life. Each Fruit of the Spirit is focused on for 2-5 days, with the average being 3 days. Three days to really look at each Fruit (love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness (or kindness), goodness, faith, meekness and temperance) and how to let it shine in our busy lives. I also love that focusing on the fruit in order is helping me to finally memorize Galatians 5: 22-23.
I love that Katie uses various ways to really dig into God's word and into our hearts. I do have to admit there were a couple of times it took me more than ten minutes to finish the devotion because there was more reading and writing than on other days. This, however, was not a huge deal. Each day there was encouragement and challenge. Challenge in answering some questions while digging deep into my heart, and the challenge of remembering to live out what I was learning.
I love that she offers a free companion workbook to download and print off, however, it is not a necessity, as you could also answer use a notebook.
This has been a great study and one I highly recommend.
I received a pdf copy of Putting on the Spirit as a part of the Launch Team, this did not in any way influence my review.

The Fourth Kingdom (The Kingdom Chronicles Book 1)
The Fourth Kingdom (The Kingdom Chronicles Book 1)
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Christian Suspense, November 30, 2013
The Fourth Kingdom is the first book in The Kingdom Chronicles series by Alexandra and Joyce Swann. There is suspense, good vs. evil, a hint of some end times forces at play, cloning and so much more. Cloning is not something I ever really thought I would be interested in, but it was very intriguing to read, not ultra-scientific, but with enough information to pique my interest and keep me informed.

In The Fourth Kingdom we are introduced to Dr. Alexander Sinclair and Dr. Karl Helmick, both involved in cloning, but living in completely different worlds with completely different belief systems, yet they become close acquaintances who need each other. Dr. Sinclair is a Christian who desires to help others, while Dr. Helmick is focused on himself, monetary gain and a desire to live forever. The Sinclairs have twin sons who are born at the beginning of the book in the year 2000 and Dr. Helmick is guardian to Josef, who is "born" around the same time.

As the book progresses the authors alternate between The Sinclairs and Dr. Helmick over at Doppelganger Genetic Cloning Facility. Their children are introduced to each other, but there is no friendship involved. From the start Jarrod and Joshua Sinclair can sense the evil surrounding Josef, who is also seen as a spoiled brat who gets everything he wants. Josef on the other hand sees the twins as weak because they care about others. As Josef gets older he is taken under the wing of Dr. Helmick unlike any of the other boys at Doppelganger who have been "adopted" by Helmick.

While the basic premise of the book is obvious, there is cloning going on at Doppleganger though not just of cattle, there is so much more that we find out as the story unfolds. Why is Helmick cloning and who is he cloning and how is Josef really related to Helmick? Nazi Germany plays a big roll in the story and Dr. Sinclairs wife is very educated in the history of the Nazi's and World War II.

It is easy to tell where the book is going from the beginning, though there is still enough suspense plus twists and turns to keep it interesting. There were times I wanted to yell at the characters to have them open their eyes as to what was going on in Helmick's cloning facility. As much as I thought I knew what was going to happen in the book, the ending still caught me by surprise. The Fourth Kingdom was quite a wonderful read, one I had a hard time putting down. The only concern I had was how fast it jumped forward in time. In just 360 pages we travel 21 years.

I would highly recommend The Fourth Kingdom to anyone who enjoys Christian Suspense.

The Force (The Kingdom Chronicles Book 2)
The Force (The Kingdom Chronicles Book 2)
Price: $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Christian futuristic suspense book, November 30, 2013
The Force is the sequel to the book The Fourth Kingdom by Joyce and Alexandra Swann. Like The Fourth Kingdom, The Force did not disappoint me. There is again suspense, good vs. evil, end times forces at play, and more cloning. However, in this story it is Josef Helmick creating the clones for profit and self-gratification. There is more murder, lots of intrigue and more twists and turns. The Sinclair twins, Jarrod and Joshua, play a smaller role than I assumed they would play. After they are called in to consult with the FBI on some murders they suspect Josef Helmick. Instead of the story focusing on them, however, they hire retired detective Fred Kowalski and send him off to find out what is going on. He has to travel to Dubai to investigate these murders of famous women who have been discovered murdered again and again.

There is so much more going on than just the murders of these women. Not only is Josef trying to gain control of the world, there is an evil Force that is in danger of being resurrected in the process. The murdering of the women actually plays a small role in the story as we see many other characters being introduced. As Josef gains power we again see how ruthless and evil he is, yet he is no match for the Force that is about to be resurrected.

I enjoyed The Force almost as much as I enjoyed The Fourth Kingdom. While The Force wasn't as predictable, there were so many different characters introduced it was hard to keep them straight. It seemed we were jumping story lines a bit, though at the end I could see how everything was fitting together. As I mentioned, I really did think that the Sinclair twins were going to play a bigger role as they were adversaries to Josef in The Fourth Kingdom and I was seeing them as the characters behind the power of good while Josef was being influenced by the force of evil. I also didn't expect the story to take such a sharp turn away from the Nazi storyline of the first book.

I still highly recommend The Force, but I would warn that it is not for the younger audience as there is quite a bit of murder, some of it graphic, plus talk of torture and some mention of sexual encounters. I am under the understanding that there will be another book in this series from the way the story left off and I am definitely curious as to where this is going, because I am seeing some end time story lines being possible.

Price: $10.12
40 used & new from $9.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun game for young children!, August 24, 2013
I have several Educational Insights games which we love. Raccoon Rumpus is a new one I thought would be great for my 3 year old daughter.
The game comes enclosed in this really cool box. Not only does it make me think of a closet, a dresser or maybe a trunk that the raccoons are rummaging through to find costumes to try on, but it is quite sturdy too.

The instructions are conveniently printed on the inside of the box top. Then there is a separate compartment for the dice. The one is a color die, the other is a costume die. Finally, there are 4 raccoon cards and 20 costume cards.

These cute little raccoons actually get to put on the clothes chosen as the game is played. The head is 3-Dimensional so it pokes up through the hole in the card. To play we laid the cards out in the middle of the table. The girls had fun looking at the costumes. Of course, my 6 year old hoped to have the chance to have her raccoon wear the princess outfit.

The game is very easy to play. The dice are rolled and then you get to pick 1 or 2 costumes based on the resulting combination. With the costume die you can roll either a shirt (top), pants (bottom), shirt & pants or underwear. This is then combined with either 1 of 5 colors or the rainbow side of the color die. Now, I mentioned the "special" dice sides above. Most of the time you would be picking up one card, but if you roll the side with the shirt and pants you get to choose two different cards. If you roll the underwear you would have to put all your clothes cards back. And if you were to roll the rainbow you get to choose any outfit.

The winner is the first one to have 5 costume cards.

The children loved playing Raccoon Rumpus. The first time they played they played 3 games in a row. They love playing with the raccoons and having them pick up their own costumes. Mommy loves that my 3 year old gets to work on her colors. Additionally we have a chance to think about different professions as they decide what they want their raccoons to dress like.

In addition to this version of the game, there are instructions for a bonus game called "Costume Memory Game." In this game all the cards are face down and you only use the color die. You are to roll the die and flip over a costume card. If the top or bottom matches the color you can keep the card, otherwise you need to flip it back over. I love this twist on the memory game.

I would highly recommend this fun game for young children. It is recommended for children 3 and over because of the choking hazard of the dice, though we did allow our 18 mth old to roll the dice a few times and play with the raccoon. This game is great for learning or reinforcing colors. Children also learn they need to look for an article of clothing in a specific color. The bonus game is a really neat twist on memory. It also helps to keep it interesting for children who already know their colors. Though my 6 year old prefers the normal game because she has a better chance to get the princess costume. In other words, I think she would have loved it if she had been as lucky as her sister and rolled bunches of rainbows so she could always be guaranteed to pick up a costume.

Disclosure: I received Raccoon Rumpus from Educational Insights in exchange for my honest review. I received no further compensation. This did not in any way influence my review.

Educational Insights The Sea Squad Puppets
Educational Insights The Sea Squad Puppets
Price: $23.42
14 used & new from $20.38

5.0 out of 5 stars Under the Sea Puppet Fun, August 24, 2013
With all the Educational Insights products we have in our home, I never really looked into Educational Insights Role Playing Activities. When I was offered the chance to try out their new Sea Squad Puppets on a Stick I was a little hesitant at first. I am so glad we have these though, the children play with them all the time.

These googly-eyed puppets are made of plastic and are quite durable. They have mouths that open and close using 1 of 2 methods. The child could hold the puppet in one hand and pull the knob on the bottom down with the other hand, or they can hold it in one hand and move the little lever up and down with their thumb. My 5 year old has stated she prefers the two handed method because she can't open the mouth all the way using one hand. However, my 6 year old is a little older and can easily use the lever to make the puppets talk. The added benefit to the one handed method is that she can use 2 puppets at once.

The children love to carry the puppets around and have them talk to each other, even my 1 yr old enjoys carrying them around (as I stated, they are durable and he has helped to prove that). But there favorite thing to do is put on puppet shows. We have discovered that the play pen makes a great puppet stage, especially when we use the blue blanket which looks like waves. Perfect for under the sea puppet shows.

The children love using their imaginations, so these puppets are just wonderful for them. There are times I have to tell them what they are saying is not appropriate if they are being mean, helping them to work on communication skills and manners. I would highly recommend them if your children love pretend play.

Disclosure: I received The Sea Squad from Educational Insights in exchange for my honest review. I received no further compensation. This did not in any way influence my review.

FunBites Shaped Food Cutter, Green Square
FunBites Shaped Food Cutter, Green Square
Price: $9.99
19 used & new from $8.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and easy food cutter, July 8, 2012
With the FunBites cutter you can cut little pieces quickly, safely and uniformly. And then you can easily remove them by pushing the popper top in. I enjoyed using this to make a muffin tin meal. I used it on all sorts of food. Cheeses, meats, vegetables, fruits and a sandwich. And I use it quite a bit for watermelon. So easy to slice the melon, cut it with the FunBites and have a bowlful of watermelon to enjoy. Not only is this easy to use, it is actually quite fun!
Here is how to use it:
Push the cutter into the food and rock it back and forth a few times.
Insert the popper top and push it through.
Out pops the bite-sized pieces of food.
See, easy!

The FunBites cutter worked well on all the food I gathered for the muffin tin, except for a little extra rocking needed for the green pepper with its thick skin. However, it was cut through enough that I just needed to break the pieces apart. It worked really well on the peanut butter and apple butter sandwiches too.

I guess the one thing I had concerns about was not knowing for sure if I have it clean enough in the crevices. Yes, it is able to go in the dish washer (top rack only) But I also washed it by hand after soaking it, and rinsed it really well. I have also seen the suggestion of using a brush, but haven't tried it yet, especially because I didn't really end up seeing the need for it.

Highly recommended product for making fun meals for your children or preparing large amounts of food for parties.

Disclosure: I received a Cube It! FunBites Cutter for free in order to review it. This did not in any way influence my review. I only recommend products I use personally and feel will be a good products for others.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3