Profile for Mickey Moose > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mickey Moose RSS Feed (Brooklyn, NY United States)

AirEnabler Adapter Kit (for Apple AirPlay)
AirEnabler Adapter Kit (for Apple AirPlay)
Offered by Qnology
Price: $79.95
2 used & new from $79.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to a car stereo, February 22, 2014
I tried some bluetooth to line in adapters in my car and they sounded terrible. I stumbled arose the AirEnabler while searching on amazon for an airplay solution for my iPhone.

The AirEnabler is loud and clear. I was concerned about my GPS instructions being really delayed in the car, but I haven't noticed much of an effect on my GPS directions. So far so good on this. Also, the qnology tech support was extremely helpful about some configuration questions I had. If you want a wireless car audio solution with much better sound quality than a bluetooth adapter, this is the way to go!

The New York Times - Daily Edition for Kindle
The New York Times - Daily Edition for Kindle
Offered by The New York Times Company
Price: $19.99
2 used & new from $19.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Love The Times, but they really don't get it., May 28, 2009
The digital version of the paper looks good, is better for the environment, and was delivered to my Kindle early enough every day for me to enjoy it. That's the good stuff. Here's why I'm canceling:

1. The price is insane! You could read almost the entire paper online for free. It makes no sense to pay $14 a month for this.
2. Other newspapers on Kindle are way cheaper. Yes, the Times is the best (if you are into their viewpoint of course), but not worth paying a 5-8 dollar premium.
3. The free, online version is constantly updated. The New York Times is stagnant as soon as it is delivered each day to the Kindle. There are no updates. This may be a constraint of the Kindle newspaper delivery set up, but in any event, it's a drag.
4. Even the print version can be gotten for cheaper. My wife is a teacher. There are discounts for subscribing to the print version. The Kindle price is a flat rate (this is probably a limitation that Amazon imposes).
5. As others pointed out, the crossword is not included. I don't care at all, but it's worth noting for those of you crossword junkies.
(P.S.- Why is this a big deal? You can't do the crossword on the kindle or print it out. Eh?)

So in short, I love the New York Times, but The Times on the Kindle is just a silly purchase. Come on Gray Lady, get your act together. If The Times folds, it is entirely your own fault.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 23, 2009 10:11 AM PST

The New Yorker
The New Yorker
Price: $5.99
2 used & new from $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The New Yorker is the best thing Kindle has going, May 28, 2009
This review is from: The New Yorker (Kindle Edition)
Okay. The three issues I have received have all the cartoons and the short stories from each issue. I guess the editors/Conde Naste have paid attention to the previous reviews. On to my review...

The New Yorker on Kindle is fantastic! The price is cheaper than a paper subscription (barely), better on the environment, and easier to read. I receive the Kindle version way before the print copy arrives in my mailbox as well.

I have to complement Conde Naste, they really get how a digital subscription should work. The content should include everything from the print version, should be easy to manage, and it should be cheaper. Well done. I could not be happier. I kind of feel like the 2 and 3 star reviews are either from people complaining about the cartoon snafus (which appears to be fixed) or from people who love to complain about things in general. Enjoy.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 24, 2011 10:19 AM PST

Cardinology
Cardinology
Price: $9.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Ryan plays safe and loses his magic, October 28, 2008
This review is from: Cardinology (MP3 Music)
I love Ryan. I have pretty much enjoyed the heck out of every previous release. If I had to choose a least favorite I would say Gold.

As far as Cardinology is concerned, I think all the critics who ragged on Ryan's rate of production finally got what they want. This is Ryan's safest, most predictable album. The first time I listened to it, I hated it. The melodies are not as catchy, and the writing seemed derivative of earlier stuff. There was not a single song that took me out of my head and just made me marvel at this man's talent.

On further listening, the lyrics are deeper and more introspective than I thought. He's in his post-drug, post-bad relationship phase where he is examining the drugs and the relationships. The overall vibe is a little Grateful Dead mixed with Ryan's more confessional side. All audible trace of his North Carolina roots are pretty much gone. It's weird to here him sing about walking uptown in Manhattan looking for Central Park. I know he has lived in New York for many years now, but it doesn't really fit into his music very well. He sounds like a tourist.. but I digress.

The real story here is the magic (no pun intended) is gone from the music. This is all craftsmanship.The songs are good, but overwrought and predictable. There is no strange, inexplicable beauty like "Halloweenhead" that makes you shake your head, laugh, and get down. There is no epic beauty like "Dear John" from JCN. And unfortunately, there's no song on par with anything from Heartbreaker.

In general, the vibe is very downtrodden and reflective. This vibe is pretty uniform from song to song as well. This definitely creates a distinct mood, but it's a mood I don't think many folks will want to be in for too long (especially when the melodies are kind of a drag).

Honestly, I hope he comes out with a solo album soon. Where is the crazy, unpredictable Ryan who wrote some of the best country and rock music ever put on wax? Was that all a pose before he found his more serious, post-drug, analytical writing style? Who knows. I wish him the best.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 18, 2009 9:27 AM PDT