Profile for J. Lee > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Lee RSS Feed (Chicago, IL USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Brother HL-5370DW Laser Printer
Brother HL-5370DW Laser Printer
Offered by I-sell
Price: $674.99
15 used & new from $199.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable!, February 7, 2012
It can't print more than one page without freaking out. It says there's a paper jam but there isn't. Really frustrating because it basically won't print more than one page without needing a reset.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome light. Love the adjustability/tunability., April 15, 2011
I have this light sitting in my living room and it looks great. The unit itself looks great and the way they've hidden the touch pad control gives it a clean look. It's especially fun during parties/socials and my guests are always asking me about it. The light coming out of the unit looks good--really smooth and uniform as a mood light should be. One of the biggest problems I have with most LED products is that they tend to produce nonuniform light with periodic bright spots. This one doesn't. Another big plus is that if you don't feel like having the light in the "halo/ring" configuration you can twists/rotate the top portion and point it towards the wall, for instance. I prefer the halo configuration but can see how someone would like to project the light against a white wall. Overall, great product and would recommending it to someone looking for a functionally/stylistically unique and fun product.

Domke F-5XB Shoulder/Belt Bag (Black)
Domke F-5XB Shoulder/Belt Bag (Black)
Price: $65.54
9 used & new from $65.54

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice little bag to hold a body and lens, April 6, 2009
I'm using this bag when I want to travel really light.
Several configurations:
1. Body + Small zoom + prime
D80 + 17-50mm + 50f1.8

2. Body + Small zoom + speedlight
D80 + 17-50mm + SB600 (Tighter fit but it works well).

If you've ever used an older Domke, you'll know how difficult the metal clips are to open. On this model, however, the clip on the shoulder strap is really easy to open. I hope Domke implements it on more models.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars gorgeous book with inconvenient size, August 8, 2008
The book looks great and the sheets that come with it are thick and clean. Unfortunately, the size is a bit of an annoyance.
The standard is usually 12X12. All the refill sheets I got were 12 X 12. The book, however, uses 12 X 11.75" protectors and is itself 12 X 12. Thus your non-original page protector MIGHT stick out a little.

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di-II LD SP Aspherical (IF) Zoom Lens with Built In Motor for Nikon Digital SLR
Offered by SoundCityInc
Price: $489.00
28 used & new from $239.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good deal. Autofocus is less of a problem than people think., August 8, 2008
First, rumors have it that this lens is made in two locations:
China and Japan. Amazon gave me a Japan model which I hear is supposed to have gone through more rigorous quality control. The lens is light and feels much cheaper and clunkier than any Nikkor/Nikon I've ever used. The autofocus is slow (not sure if it's slower than the old screw-drive version), but accurate. I have a Tamron 28-300 VC that autofocus similarly (in little baby steps). I use it at indoor parties and it's tolerable so long as people aren't dancing around. The optics are very sharp and I'm USUALLY satisfied with shots at f2.8.
There have also been, however, some unusual problems:
When I first got the lens, I occasionally got the f - - on my D80 indicating a poor electrical connection. I need to wriggle the lens around. Secondly, sometimes when I didn't see that error, the lens would not respond (try to engage autofocus with the shutter but no response). This has happened twice out of the maybe 30 times I've used it so far. Nevertheless, I haven't encountered these problems recently. It's probably nothing to be afraid of.

This is a great alternative to it's competitors. Nikon 17-55 2.8 aside, this lens' closest competitor is the Sigma 18-50 HSM. If you are REALLY bothered by the autofocus, you might want to consider the Sigma. I went with the Tamron after seeing so many good shots at f2.8 and b/c of the 67mm filter size :).
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 5, 2010 12:49 PM PST

Nikon MB-D80 Multi-Power Battery Pack for the Nikon D80 & D90 Digital SLR Camera - Retail Packaging
Price: $149.00
18 used & new from $67.50

4.0 out of 5 stars More weight can be good., August 8, 2008
After shooting a few days with it, I find the grip to be helpful at stabilizing the camera (more inertia if you will). Unfortunately, with two batteries, my camera is now much heavier. Keep in mind that I might not fit in your bag anymore. The material is similar to the D80 body but not exactly the same. Fit is good and snug (I've shaken my camera vigorously to test this).
As for the shutter release that many have a problem with... yes, it's not the same as the shutter release on the body but it's still very usable. I wouldn't worry too much about it. You'll get used to it. It feels different, but I haven't yet had any problems with it (autofocus and shots came out just the way I wanted).

I would recommend this to anyone who shoots vertical a lot, like a professional look, doesn't like to change batteries, and/or wants the extra weight to help stabilize.

However, if you're trying to travel as light as possible (That's me!), I'd leave the grip at home and just bring an extra battery. With the grip, 2 batteries, and my SB600, the D80 becomes a monster. Thanks.

Tamron AF 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD VC (Vibration Compensation) Aspherical (IF) Macro Zoom Lens with Built in Motor for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras (Model A20NII)
9 used & new from $364.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great and versitile lens with only a few flaws, July 17, 2008
I have this lens on my Nikon D80. Was going to get the Nikon 18-200 but the image quality on that lens is disappointing. The Tamron 28-300VC has proved to be extremely versatile. I took it to the zoo and it was perfect! The VC is very loud and clunky sounding. It'll take some getting used to but it's not so bad. Panning is nice because it doesn't have the delay you get form the Nikon 70-300VR.
As for build quality, it's a tamron so it's plastic. There is tons of lens creep after the first few weeks but there is a little latch to hold the lens at 28mm (I need to use it or else it'll creep). It's also a reasonable macro lens as well.
My only real gripe is with the autofocus. It is SLOW. If you shoot a Nikon AF-S, you will think this is slow. The initial focus is pretty close but then it takes a bunch of baby steps to lock onto the final focus. When I'm indoors shooting f4.5 or below, it takes about 1-2 seconds to focus. When it's even darker, sometimes 4-6 seconds! I know i'm pushing the lens but my kit lenses could do much better. You can read more about the slow focusing ability of the new Tamrons with micromotors online.
I would recommend this lens but gave it 4/5 stars instead of 5 because of the slow autofocus. Otherwise, given the price, quality, versatility and weight, it'd definitely be a 5.

Thanks.

Manfrotto 484RC2 Mini Ball Head with RC2 Rapid Connect Plate (3157N)
Manfrotto 484RC2 Mini Ball Head with RC2 Rapid Connect Plate (3157N)

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great on a Joby Gorillapod SLR -ZOOM, January 17, 2008
I got this for my Joby Gorillapod SLR-Zoom and it works very nicely. Very quick and easy to adjust and very solid (the Gpod itself obviously isn't as solid as a normal tripod). Head is quite heavy.

btw: This holds a D80 with the 18-135 kit lens perfectly fine on a pair of normal legs (i've tested this).

-jeff

Winning Eleven Pro Evolution Soccer 2007 - PC
Winning Eleven Pro Evolution Soccer 2007 - PC
Offered by You Name the Game
Price: $39.99
4 used & new from $33.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game... but not much of an improvement, December 5, 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Basically the same as winning eleven 9. Still beats FIFA though. Gameplay is far superior and it just feels more involved and alive. FIFA does look prettier, but player movement is very unrealistic. Movement is much more fluid and smooth in winning eleven. FIFA looked like a bunch of ants spazzing out on the screen. What they need to do is work on graphics as well as player movement (as stated in some previous posts above). Overall, this is still a great game in the Winning Eleven series.

Meguiar's G1016 Smooth Surface Clay Kit
Meguiar's G1016 Smooth Surface Clay Kit
Price: $17.24
25 used & new from $13.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Great experience from a first-timer., September 8, 2007
I bought one for my car and it was super easy to use. Process took about 30 minutes. It includes everything you'll need (hence the kit) and works well. Bought one for my mom who knows nothing about car maintenance and she thought it was great too.

Page: 1 | 2