Profile for JFin > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 979

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

JFin "Jack of Trades" RSS Feed (Hoboken, NJ)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Glad Odorshield Tall Kitchen Drawstring Trash Bags, Lemon, 13 gal, 40 Count, (Pack of 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Get Glad, July 29, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
While I usually stay away from products with added scents or chemicals, having dirty diapers accumulating in diaper pails around the house calls for drastic countermeasures - enter Glad Odorshield. This seemingly innocuous, Febreze-powered odor inhibitor allows me to empty the garbage without risk of asphyxiation or vomiting. To me, that is worth a few extra cents. The bags themselves are also flexible but sturdy, making them a great fit for most bins.

Nature Bound Binoculars Toy
Nature Bound Binoculars Toy
Price: $11.99

3.0 out of 5 stars These binocs do not rocks, July 28, 2015
This review is from: Nature Bound Binoculars Toy (Toy)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These binocs are okay for the price, but their shortcomings are obvious and sure to frustrate any kid. They magnify 5x as advertised, but getting a clear view is nigh-impossible. They are not comfortable and do not seem build solidly enough to withstand the 'care' of a 5 year old. Overall, more of a novelty than a treasured tool for exploration.

Hershey's S'mores Kit, 3 LB 9.1 Oz
Hershey's S'mores Kit, 3 LB 9.1 Oz
Price: $29.99
15 used & new from $24.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Just like I buy, but more convenient, July 28, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My wife and I love S'mores and will buy the ingredients to make them at home using our stovs not infrequently. This kit simplifies the process and makes the package more convenient to carry around. The proportions are a bit off for my tastes though, since i use about half as much chocolate per s'more. If if were priced more competitively, I would give it 5 stars.

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Wrath of the Righteous Base Set
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Wrath of the Righteous Base Set
by Mike Selinker
Edition: Game
Price: $47.48
30 used & new from $40.38

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun but needlessly complex game, July 27, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I grew up with games like D&D, Hero Quest, Magic, and Warhammer. Pathfinder combines elements from classic RPGs and collectible card games. The result is a streamlined deck-based game that provides a cooperative experience both intricate and fun. The game is fairly balanced and does not tend to get bogged down in tedium, yet it does feel like a slog compared to my favorite deck-building game (Dominion).

I'm okay with RPGs taking a good long while, but my favorite part about RPGs was always the titular 'role-playing' rather than the dice-throwing. And this game focuses on the latter, almost completely avoiding the former. I doubt the designers couldn't have found a balanced way to use fewer than six variations of multi-sided dice. In other regards as well, the game sometimes feels as if it involves uneccesary complexity, or complexity for complexity's sake. Once you get past the learning curve, it is not really an issue, but given the format, I feel that making the game straightforward and quick to pick-up would make it a more enjoyable experience with a wider variety of people. Anyway, it is a rather nice change of pace from Dominion to satisfy the deck-based game itch.

Thunder & Lightning: Weather Past, Present, Future
Thunder & Lightning: Weather Past, Present, Future
by Lauren Redniss
Price: $18.06

4.0 out of 5 stars Artful, thoughtful, unfulfilling, July 27, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you approach this book expecting more of a collection of illustrated, poetic, vignettes then I think you will be able to appreciate what the author has created. The focus here is on the art more than the story - interpretation, emotion and style. I have enjoyed reading one or two pieces at a time and letting the words and drawings sink in. As to be expected, some sections fell flat to me and others resonated. Overall the book lacks variety, which is why I prefer to digest it in bute sized portions. It is a worthwhile read, but I did expect more of a fulfilling journey than I received.

Bloco Toys T-Rex and Triceratops Toy
Bloco Toys T-Rex and Triceratops Toy
Price: $32.48
4 used & new from $32.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Large and ready to charge, July 26, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is my kids' fourth set of Bloco Toys...toys. Like the others, these are a lot of fun for the whole family and work well for a wide range of ages. Most kids 6-10 will likely be able to put these together with minimal help. While the finished dinosaurs look great, this set is a bit more repetitious and tedious than the other Bloco Toys sets that we have. In particular the bodies have lots of discs in a row that aren't exactly thrilling to piece together.

Philips A5Pro/27 A5PRO Professional DJ Headphones, Black
Philips A5Pro/27 A5PRO Professional DJ Headphones, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Without flaw, July 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
While the packaging was understated, to be kind, my first impression of the actual product centered on beautiful build quality which lends comfort, form, and function to these incredibly competent headphones. The replacable earpads are buttery soft. The headband is wrapped in what seemed like a recently hand oiled high-end leather. There is a decent amount of plastic, but joints and frames around the cans are aluminum and the headband is reinforced with steel. The included coiled audio cable can be fit into eithe side of the headphones and will lock into place. The headphones are extremely comfortable and, while I wouldn't go so far as to job with them on, they manage to stay in place quite well without putting too much pressure on my ears.

Sound quality is just amazing on these overall. I have been through a dozen headphones of varying quality, with a couple in this price range. The Philips A5Pro/27 is easily the best of them all. This is the first pair of headphones that I have owned able to generate a tight but present flat response reaching substantially into the bass range. Everywehere else the fidelity beat out my other sets as well. Vocals sound significantly more life-like, given a high enough quality source. Classical music plays with more definition and clarity, showing the distinct voices properly and as intended. There is a definite smoothness to the output, almost buttery, but you don't lose any dynamic or percussive elements. Compared to my Sennheiser HDR 195 (my former favorite set, and wireless to boot) the A5Pro has the feel of a intimate concert hall, whereas the HDR 195 feels like attending a small outdoor concert. The A5Pro produces reverb and no excess noise.

Versus other headphones, like Audio Technica's M-50 and Beats Detox, the A5Pro mostly offers the best features of each, and more. The Detox is the closest competitor I have tried, and it was less flat in response than the A5Pro and bit more punchy. Both had great response at higher volumes and I could see both pleasing a professional DJ, but for me, the A5Pro just has everything that I am looking for and was overall a more pleasant listening experience.

These headphones are a solid investment that will respect good source material, show the flaws in weak sources and provide a reliably pleasant listening experience in nearly any situation unmarred by flawed design choices.

Food Should Taste Good Real Good Bar Macadamia Chai, 15 Count
Food Should Taste Good Real Good Bar Macadamia Chai, 15 Count
Price: $25.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious and healthy, July 24, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These are similar to KIND bars but the taste of this chai nut bar is terrific. I am always disappointed by the chocolate part of KIND bars and thought the chocolate on this bar had better flavor and consistency. Macademias were great. I could have done without the coconut, but that's just me. Overall a delicious and healthy snack.

Scotch-Brite Stay Clean Non-scratch Scrub Sponge, 9 Count
Scotch-Brite Stay Clean Non-scratch Scrub Sponge, 9 Count
Price: $12.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Non-stick sponge, July 24, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I usually use the blue non-scratch sponges by tge same company, but I will probably switch to these. Some foods tend to stick onto the blue spongex and can be a pain to remove. That is not a problem with these, food comes right off. This means sponges will last me longer on average. Otherwise they are similar in form and function.

Candy Land Disney Princess Edition Game Board Game
Candy Land Disney Princess Edition Game Board Game
Price: $16.99
3 used & new from $14.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Cutting corners, July 22, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is an excellent example of how cost cutting can ruin a perfectly good board game. The box itself is nice, which made for an unexpected surprise when I found nearly paper-thin sheets of cards to punch out for the game's deck. Obviously the target audience is unlikely to treat such delicate game pieces in a manner such that they might last for a reasonable length of time. The other major disappointment was that the characters used in place of the special candy spaces were limited to just four. Similarly the number of spaces on the board has been decreased. The only real positive was the nice figurines, but again, why only 3? I would suggest buying another version that will last longer both in terms of game pieces and gameplay.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20