Profile for Schwanda > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 26

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Schwanda RSS Feed (Shoreline, WA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Babies
Babies
DVD ~ Thomas Balmes
Price: $7.79
61 used & new from $1.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating!, December 16, 2010
This review is from: Babies (DVD)
This movie is so much more than a cute home-video of babies. It's anthropological genius. It presents an unbiased view of candid moments in the children's lives, much more like a nature documentary than a movie about people. For example, there is no narration or introduction. We're just thrown into these children's lives much the way they are themselves thrown into the world and must cope and adapt. Secondly, there are no subtitles, so when the subjects speak you have no idea what is being said unless you're happen to understand their language. Though you realize pretty quickly we don't need to speak the language to understand exactly what is going on.

I found this film so intriguing I began wishing for Babies 2, Babies 3, etc, to introduce me to child rearing in other parts of the world. Or even to contrast babies within the same country but who live in varied settings; city baby and country baby.

My toddler loves watching this movie and knows all the babies by name and delights in narrating their actions for me whenever we watch it. It is a thrill, I suspect, for her to see and comprehend the very simple basics that she herself has just mastered. I bought her the DVD for Christmas.

In short, an excellent movie that I don't mind watching over and over and over (as is the life with toddlers). Watch and enjoy.

Tiger Eye Curse Of The Riddle Box - PC/Mac
Tiger Eye Curse Of The Riddle Box - PC/Mac
Offered by Our Family Deals
Price: $9.00
24 used & new from $1.12

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for more!, December 14, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This is a beautiful, innovative, creative and super-fun game. I'm not normally a fan of Hidden Object games, but this game does a wonderful job of gussying up the concept so that it doesn't feel like your typical search-and-find objective. Instead, we're made to match, to think, to solve. Makes for more intellectual game-play. My only critique is that I felt the puzzles were a tad too easy, and would love a more difficult game next time around, or else an Advanced option that would provide a little more challenge. But this did not take away from my overall enjoyment. And don't be dissuaded from playing if you've never read the book! The storyline, though integral, does not compromise the integrity of the activities. I recommend this game to any puzzle-game lover.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Best bra for its value, November 8, 2006
I agree with Laura R. Schmidt...this bra is GREAT for its price, but I, too must wear two at a time to get the support I need. Being a very large size, I have yet to find the perfect bra, but I have used two of these puppies a day exclusively for the past five years with few complaints. PROS: Great price. Bras last about a year (or more) with good care. Shoulder strap is comfortable and does not dig in or leave marks. There is enough support (with two bras) for full support (no sagging) on large figures (DDD). CONS: bra does wear out mid-day and the bottom does cut into the ribcage. Going up a body size does little to help this problem.

My Little Blue Dress
My Little Blue Dress
by Bruno Maddox
105 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't be fooled by the cover, February 2, 2003
This review is from: My Little Blue Dress (Paperback)
I tried, I really did. I even came close to finishing it. But I felt so cheated that the book had promoted itself as something else, then disinigrated to a story so totally different than the one I wanted to read, that the book was sent back to the bookshop unfinished. I'm sorry, but I just didn't see the point in reading about Bruno Maddox's life in such detail, no matter how "clever" the New York Times Bestseller list claimed he was. The book wasn't all that funny and completely unbelievable, even when he began spelling out his own devoid life through diary entries. By the time I came to the truth about the book (that it's really about the author and has nothing to do with a 100 year-old woman) I just didn't care. And I really wasn't interested in hearing about drunken parties and extream woe over being dumped by the love of his life. Even those accounts did little to keep me interested in the authors life...I felt even this "real" part of the story was poorly written, rushed and boring. Critics hail this book as a stylistic masterpiece, I still call it a bore. Maddox did little to convince me that what he was saying had any importance.

The Black Death and the Transformation of the West
The Black Death and the Transformation of the West
by David Herlihy
Price: $16.64
110 used & new from $1.50

2.0 out of 5 stars interesting but brief, January 10, 2001
I bought this book because I was intrigued by the notion that Herlihy believed the Black Death was a blessing in disguise e.g. an ushering of the Technological Age, strengthened belief in Christianity, reshaping of society.
These theories proved interesting. I was also very impressed with the first chapter, which describes the plague medically, relates it to recent outbreaks of a similar nature and does a good job of theorizing how and why the plague ravaged Europe. I was interested to learn that the disease itself only killed a small percentage of people; in later years labor shortages, diminishing returns and lower birth rates helped to devistate the population more than the plagues actually did.
However, the book is too short. It is merely an introduction to this vast topic. I have read other books that briefly mention the plague but do their best to describe alternate theories on the disease, relating the sickness to the foods consumed at the times, the living conditions and essentially doing a lot more to understand what the plague actually was. Unfortunately Herlihy only dabbles in this and leaves me wanting more informaiton, instead of feeling satisfied with my knowledge of this topic. Perhaps because this is a general look at all of Europe and the plague. Perhaps if he had written about The Black Death in England or The Black Death in Italy he would have afforded a greater breadth of detail.
I recommend this book as a suppliment to the study of the plague; do not expect to become an expert by these 81 pages alone.

The Best American Poetry 1999
The Best American Poetry 1999
by David Lehman
Price: $16.16
134 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars a good book, November 27, 2000
Anthologies are always hard to review because they contain such varied works from such varied writers. The 1999 version of this book is very good indeed, with lots of easy-to-read works. Most of the poems inside are simple and to the point, with nothing too abstract or creative. I must admit I didn't enjoy reading this book as much as I do anthologies with more varied styles, but if you're looking for a good book to curl up with over a cup of tea then this book will be a real treat.

The Mercy: Poems
The Mercy: Poems
by Philip Levine
Price: $14.40
56 used & new from $1.94

3.0 out of 5 stars good starting point, November 27, 2000
This review is from: The Mercy: Poems (Paperback)
This was my first book by Philip Levine and I must say I was impressed. His poetry is strong, descriptive and makes many statements in innovative ways, this is almost fiction. As a newcommer to his style and skills I can only recommend this book as a good introduction to Levine.

One Stick Song
One Stick Song
Price: $16.20
80 used & new from $1.81

5.0 out of 5 stars best yet, November 27, 2000
This review is from: One Stick Song (Paperback)
Call me biased, but I consider this Alexie's best colleciton of poetry yet. In it he moves away from his typical sad and revealing descriptions of the life he saw as a child on the res, and moved more into himself, revealing things to us about himself that we only guessed before. This makes his past works make more sense and gives readers a greater understanding of what goes on in Alexie's mind. These poems and stories seem older, wiser somehow. I believe Alexie has jumped a rung in this book, out of the "infantile" works of yore and into something greater. He becomes a Master of the Masters.

Old Shirts & New Skins (Native American, No 9)
Old Shirts & New Skins (Native American, No 9)
44 used & new from $7.16

4.0 out of 5 stars good book, November 27, 2000
This book seems simpler than Alexie's later works, though by no means do I mean that in a literal way. Later works reveal a deep and complex style and voice. This book, an early piece, shows what is to come. Alexie's voice is strong and powerful, with very pointed pieces arranged in creative and innovative ways. This is a stepping-stone book into his heavier works, such as Summer of Black Widows and One Stick Song. You can definitly see where Alexie is going in this book...up.

The Summer of Black Widows
The Summer of Black Widows
Price: $13.50
54 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars abstract, November 27, 2000
This book seems the most abstract of Alexie's works to date. Containing the same insightful, introspective and powerful images and descriptions as his past works, this one differs in that it is slightly less "in-your-face". Keeps the reader thinking, wondering what the underlying meaning of the work could mean. This is not a spoon-fed collection of easy to read poems. Keep this one around awhile for study and contemplation. Truly inspired.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3