Profile for Richard Collette > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 72

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Richard Collette RSS Feed (Connecticut USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
FiiO E09K High Output Desktop Headphone Amplifier and Dock for E07K or E17
FiiO E09K High Output Desktop Headphone Amplifier and Dock for E07K or E17
Offered by GRAMOPHONE
Price: $109.00
25 used & new from $89.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Sennheisers came alive. The need for the E17 and E09K together is questionable., January 21, 2015
I found a pretty good deal on a FiiO E17 E09K pair here on Amazon. The E17 is a V1 model whereas V2 is the current model. My headphones (Sennheiser HD500 and HD558) have come alive compared to plugging into the PC/Laptop. Even at lower volumes the highs are just far more clear (ex. a Sting album), not just amplified but actually clear. The headphones rumble on something like a deadmau5 or Daft Punk song. That said, the E09K is basically not needed for the headphones I have. I've got the E17 and the E09K set to zero gain and the volume is plenty high. The E17 goes up to 12db of gain and then you can throw a gain switch on the back of the E09k. I can't see using more than 6db with the headphones I have. On a pair of headphones that can't be driven at all by a PC/Phone maybe you would use 12db and still the E09K wouldn't be needed? On the plus side, leaving it at 0db of gain reduces noise. The other issue is that the E17 has a mini USB connector on it, which requires an adapter when used with an MHL port phone like the Samsung Galaxy S4. These mini ports are already prone to bending. Stick an adapter on the cable and now you have a solid lever sticking out of the port. Not a good idea. I'm so happy with the sound, I'm going to probably just leave this duo on my work desk and get an E18 to use at home with my laptop and/or my phone when traveling.

The USB input only works with a docked E17. The E17 doesn't really need this dock, it even charges from USB while playing from a PC. I give it 3 stars because I question the necessity of the E09K on top of an E17. Otherwise I would give it 4 stars.

Having heard the Audeze EL-8 headphones I've unfortunately gotten an itch for a headphone upgrade. Might have to go back to a closed ear model now that I have these amps.

FiiO E17 Alpen Portable Headphone Amplifier USB DAC
FiiO E17 Alpen Portable Headphone Amplifier USB DAC
Offered by Corner Discount (We don't ship to PO Box)
Price: $139.00
7 used & new from $110.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Sennheisers came alive. Might not be a good fit for DAC use on MHL equipped phones., January 21, 2015

FiiO E09K High Output Desktop Headphone Amplifier with E17 Alpen Portable Amplifier with RCA-to-RCA Cable Kit
Offered by ProStudio Sound & Music
Price: $219.00
2 used & new from $219.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Sennheiser's came alive. DAC use might not be appropriate for MHL phones., January 21, 2015
I found a pretty good deal on a FiiO E17 E09K pair. The E17 is a V1 model whereas V2 is the current model. My headphones (Sennheiser HD500 and HD558) have come alive (ex. a Sting compared to plugging into the PC/Laptop. Even at lower volumes the highs are just far more clear, not just amplified but actually clear. The headphones rumble on something like a deadmau5 or Daft Punk song. That said, the E09K is basically not needed for the headphones I have. I've got the E17 and the E09K set to zero gain and the volume is plenty high. The E17 goes up to 12db of gain and then you can throw a gain switch on the back of the E09k. I can't see using more than 6db with the headphones I have. On a pair of headphones that can't be driven at all by a PC/Phone maybe you would use 12db and still the E09K wouldn't be needed? On the plus side, leaving it at 0db of gain reduces noise. The other issue is that the E17 has a mini USB connector on it, which requires an adapter when used with an MHL port phone like the Samsung Galaxy S4. These mini ports are already prone to bending. Stick an adapter on the cable and now you have a solid lever sticking out of the port. Not a good idea. I'm so happy with the sound, I'm going to probably just leave this duo on my work desk and get an E18 to use at home with my laptop and/or my phone when traveling.

Instead of an RCA-RCA cable as pictured, I received a Monoprice 1/8 to RCA cable. I honestly hadn't noticed the cable in the pictures in the first place so it didn't really matter to me. Neither of the two FiiO products are boxed with an RCA cable so this is just an add-on from the seller.

SOG Specialty Knives & Tools VL-03 Vulcan Tanto Knife with Straight Edge, Folding, 3.5 Inch, VG10 Steel Blade and GRN Handle, Satin Finish
Price: $102.80
64 used & new from $99.89

4.0 out of 5 stars I would prefer a handle material that doesn't feel so hard and plasticy but at the same time I like the fact that it is thin and, October 30, 2014
Well constructed. Smooth action. I would prefer a handle material that doesn't feel so hard and plasticy but at the same time I like the fact that it is thin and doesn't bother me in the pocket. I agree with others that the clip has a tendency to catch on things.

Fiskars 61 Inch Aluminum Garden Rake (3551)
Fiskars 61 Inch Aluminum Garden Rake (3551)
Price: $33.02

4.0 out of 5 stars Has some give to go easy on your arms, October 30, 2014
Light. Has some give to go easy on your arms.

Century The Original Wavemaster Training Bag (Red)
Century The Original Wavemaster Training Bag (Red)
Offered by The Martial Arts Store
Price: $139.99
14 used & new from $115.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Caps leak, June 14, 2014
They could have included a 2 cent rubber o-ring washer on the cap to keep it from leaking when knocked over. They all suffer from this issue.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Holds up, June 14, 2014
I have two pairs that have been used once a week each for the past two years. Not a stitch out of them. These are used in practice only and not in competition so they they don't get pulled on other than by my own body movement.

Thermos 16-Ounce Stainless-Steel Backpack Bottle, Silver
Thermos 16-Ounce Stainless-Steel Backpack Bottle, Silver
Offered by M.V. Trading Co. (USA)
Price: $30.79
15 used & new from $27.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Latch cracked - Poor Warranty and Customer Service, March 4, 2013
While closing the lid one day, the gray plastic latch snapped. While the bottle is covered with a 5 year warranty, the lid is not covered. Customer service would not replace the lid.

Pandora
Pandora
Price: $0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars 1.7.1 Poor audio quality, lack of privacy, September 28, 2012
This review is from: Pandora (App)
Either the upgrade to 1.7.1 or some change on the hosting side caused the audio to lose all the highs. I thought my tweeters were busted at first but no, every other audio application sounds fine. The music barely sounds like it's in stereo any longer. And why would a music player need to read my phone state (which includes the phone numbers of who is calling). Pandora is going the way of Netflix, losing customers by dropping service quality.

Black & Decker ASI300 Air Station 12-Volt or 120-Volt Inflator
Black & Decker ASI300 Air Station 12-Volt or 120-Volt Inflator
Price: $49.98
64 used & new from $35.34

2.0 out of 5 stars Performance good, usability terrible., September 14, 2012
The only pro to this pump is that it pumps like a champ.

The cons are:
Smooth exterior, no handle, relatively heavy and therefore easy to drop.
Extremely short air hose and AC power cord.
Cover for the short hose and AC power cord, but no cover for the DC power cord, it comes unraveled in the trunk.
The power button is located inside the DC power cord storage area so you either have to take out the DC power cord to get to the power switch or you have to try to force your fingers into the compartment to get it to turn on.
Useless "industrial" add-ons of faux nuts which are just little plastic pieces that fall off.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8