Profile for Eggplant > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 292

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Eggplant "Eyehateamazon" RSS Feed (state of denial)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Fight Night Round 2 - PlayStation 2
Fight Night Round 2 - PlayStation 2
Offered by Ship and Save
Price: $39.22
50 used & new from $1.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Um, yeah, this is addicting, March 15, 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Back in January, with a $25 mall gift certificate to burn, I was running out of ideas what to buy, when I stumbled upon a slightly used copy of this game. I looked at the back, saw you could create your own boxer, thought it might be fun, and purchased it. I had no idea it would be as full-on addicting as it is!

Even if you are not a huge boxing fan, this game is fun as hell, for one simple, addicting reason: you can not only create yourself (and a damn good likeness, might I add), but you can create your enemies, make them suck, and then go into "play now" mode and PUMMEL THEM! Nothing is more fun than landing haymaker after haymaker on your foe, as they stumble, barely conscious, bleeding out of their eyes, nose, and mouth, ahehehe.

And if you are a boxing fan, then check this out. All of the punches, moves, blocks, et cetera are here, as well as many pro boxers, including Muhammad Ali, Evander Holyfield, and even classic boxers like Jake LaMotta (of Raging Bull infamy) and Rocky Marciano. My only complaint is the crappy rap "music", but that's not really that big a deal.

5 stars all the way. This is one of the most fun games I've ever played. Cheers!

Pussycat Dolls - Live in London
Pussycat Dolls - Live in London
DVD ~ Pussycat Dolls
54 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Wow, what rubbish!, March 12, 2007
So the Pussycat Dolls are having a reality show, to find a new member? Sheesh. Shows how utterly disposable they are as a group. Would you have seen the likes of Nirvana doing so? I think not.

Another reason to hate the 2000s, ladies and gentlemen. Call me a pessimist, but I don't see it getting any better. I hope I'm wrong...

(I'll be surprised if this review is still up a week later.)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 26, 2007 3:40 PM PDT

The O.C.: Season 3
The O.C.: Season 3
DVD ~ Peter Gallagher
Offered by SOUTHWEST MEDIA
Price: $35.00
8 used & new from $9.11

1.0 out of 5 stars "Head cheese with mayo? What's the prooooblem?", February 17, 2007
This review is from: The O.C.: Season 3 (DVD)
So, the good old O.C. has finally bit the dust. People, at long last, stopped caring about the "problems" of a bunch of whiny rich brats. Ever since the only worthwhile aspect of the show, Mischa Barton, went bye-bye, people realized this show sucks.

Say it with me folks: THE TREND IS OVER AND GONE FOREVER!!

However, I do look forward to seeing Mischa Barton in more projects. I believe she has a good future ahead of her. I also look forward to seeing that beady-eyed blond-haired kid with the schnozz servin' up piping hot fast food at your local Hardee's.

ROT IN PIECES O.C. 2003-2007

AND GOOD RIDDANCE TO BAD RUBBISH!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 15, 2010 11:06 PM PDT

Clerks II (Two-Disc Widescreen Edition)
Clerks II (Two-Disc Widescreen Edition)
DVD ~ Brian O'Halloran
Price: $6.48
261 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Pillow Pants For Life!, December 6, 2006
When Clerks was released in 1994, it was a new window into the world of Generation X. Its portrayal of two disillusioned, sarcastic, twenty-something counter jockeys in New Jersey soon became a cult classic, as audiences related to the angst of Dante Hicks (Brian O'Halloran), or just got a kick out of the irresponsible, smart-alecky Randal Graves (Jeff Anderson).

Now, it is 2006. Generation X has grown up and are beginning to approach middle age. Included are, of course, Dante and Randal, twelve years older. At the beginning of Clerks 2, they are still employed at the Quick Stop. However, when it burns down, the pair find work at a Mooby's - a fictional fast food restaurant - where they find new complaints about life, customers, and of course, some things I can't mention here (okay, one word - donkey).

Much of the movie is classic Kevin Smith. Star Wars references and language that is sure to offend your mother are here, and Jay and Silent Bob (Jason Mewes and Kevin Smith, respectively) are also present, both characters now clean to reflect Mewes` real life sobriety, although the duo are still dealing. In addition to the comedy, however, this movie also deals with the theme of growing up, maturing, and figuring out what you want to do in life.

In the film, we learned that Dante is now engaged to Emma (Jennifer Schwalbach Smith, real-life spouse of Kevin Smith), a perky, domineering woman, who is taking him to Florida against his will to work at a car wash. However, when a past affair comes back to bite him, he must learn to face responsibility and make a decision.

New characters are included in this slice of Kevin Smith's Jersey Wasteland: Elias (Trevor Fehrman), the socially-awkward, dorky, religious boy that is the new butt of Randal's verbal abuse, and Becky (Rosario Dawson), the smart, sexy boss of Mooby's. Both characters fit in perfectly with the movie, with Elias being a springboard for mockery, and Becky playing as the voice of reason (or perhaps, sanity) between Randal's acid tongue and Dante's insecurity.

Annoying customers are, as in the original, present and ready to badger, including a cameo from Ben Affleck, Kevin Weisman as a Lord Of The Rings aficionado, and Wanda Sykes, in all her in-your-face glory.

Fans of the original Clerks will find plenty to love here, as Kevin Smith's unapologetic wit and rapid-fire sarcasm are present, but beneath it is also a tale of growing up, facing a mid-life crisis, and taking responsibility and deciding what it is you want to do in life, not what someone else wants you to do. This is a great movie, and is highly recommended for a great time on movie night, if you are not too easily offended. If you liked Clerks, then you will not be disappointed, for Clerks 2 serves up the goods.

*Note: I actually submitted this as an article to my university newspaper!*

Inhuman Rampage
Inhuman Rampage
Price: $5.99
86 used & new from $1.09

2.0 out of 5 stars Whoa there!, November 5, 2006
This review is from: Inhuman Rampage (Audio CD)
Okay, before you cyber-lynch me, lemme just say this: these guys have talent. I mean, what you've heard is true, these guys play fast as hell. But super speed does not equal five stars, I'm afraid.

Why am I not into Dragonforce? Simple: they are just way too theatrical and cheesy. It's overkill. It's just too much. It's like the birthday cake of metal: maybe good for a little bit, but you can't have more or else you may get a stomachache.

I give it two stars because it does take talent and endurance to play at the speed they do; sorry, however, I can't say any more for it. Like I said, too theatrical and cheesy. I'd pass on it if I were you. But I'm not you. So I'll listen to good music while you give me a not helpful vote.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 13, 2007 1:58 AM PST

The Death of Mr. Lazarescu
The Death of Mr. Lazarescu
DVD ~ Ion Fiscuteanu
Price: $14.98
33 used & new from $3.91

1.0 out of 5 stars Um.... wow., November 2, 2006
This review is from: The Death of Mr. Lazarescu (DVD)
I just had to watch this little flicky for my film class... I didn't go in with high expectations, I mean it IS an independent film from Romania. But my god... what I got...

If I could, I would give this movie negative-infinity-plus-three stars. This movie is sheer torture, pure and simple. 2 1/2 of the longest hours of your life, watching a completely unlikeable old man just go from hospital to hospital. The movie moves at a snail's pace. The plot is paper thin. The movie is extremely dark and depressing (and not in a good way). I was wrong about "I Heard The Mermaids Sing"; that movie still sucks, of course, but this one is far worse.

"The Death Of Mr. Lazarescu" is my new least favorite movie.

Seriously. It makes IHTMS look like American History X. This movie is absolutely horrible. Why it's getting rave reviews and winning award after award, I'll never know. It really is torture, as stated earlier. Avoid at all costs. If you see a copy of this in your local store, burn your eyes. Hell, buy it just to ignite it on fire. One less copy of this P.O.S. in the world is worth $20. I know all the art-house snobs will scorn this review with the usual barrage of unhelpful votes and sophomoric insults ("3gplkant nos NOTHING bout reel sinnema LOL'ERZ"), but whatever. This movie sucks. Pure and simple.

I would even recommend The Smokers over this crap, and that's saying a lot! You have been warned! Tell the people!
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 11, 2010 12:34 AM PDT

The Downward Spiral
The Downward Spiral
Price: $8.39
87 used & new from $2.71

5.0 out of 5 stars A mental breakdown, set to audio., October 19, 2006
This review is from: The Downward Spiral (Audio CD)
"The Downward Spiral" consistently ranks as one of the best albums of the 1990's, and it's not difficult to see why. All of Nine Inch Nail's albums are at least good, but TDS is (so far) their... er, his best. This album is an industrial classic. So many great tracks.

The nervous breakdown set to audio that is "Mr. Self Destruct". (Also my personal favorite not only on this album, but out of the entire NIN catalog.)

The almost jazzy "Piggy".

The anti-religion "Heresy".

The all-out rocker "March Of The Pigs".

The overplayed, but still great hit, "Closer". Who can ever forget the video, and the line "I wanna f*** you like an animal"?

The almost ethereal-sounding "Ruiner".

The machine-sounding "I Do Not Want This".

The pure psychosis of "Big Man With A Gun".

The beautiful instrumental "A Warm Place".

The haunting ballad "Hurt".

Unless you are weak of heart, you need The Downward Spiral in your collection. Let Trent take you on a journey. This is the story of the movie "Taxi Driver" set to music. Not to mention it's a great album to slap Rascal Flatts in the face with.

Unwritten
Unwritten
Offered by MediaWarehouseUSA
Price: $8.53
198 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Should have gone unwritten (pun intended), October 9, 2006
This review is from: Unwritten (Audio CD)
First things first, I must say, I *do* find Natasha Bedingfield attractive.

Okay, now that that's out of the way, may I just say, UGH! "Unwritten" is one absymal song. It's one of those songs that once you hear it, it's in your head for the entire day, and you have to drown it out with some halfway decent music. "FEEL DE RAIN ON YYYOOOUUURRRRRRRR LIPS!!!" And, of course, radio and MTV plays it ad nauseum (of course, once is ad nauseum for me), and all the dumb teenyboppers eat it up like a souffle. Natch. I can just imagine all the fat, ugly, loudmouth, revolting, brace-faced pre-teen Rosie O'Donnell look-alikes shaking their blubber at school dances (and quite possibly blinding some innocent classmates in the process) while loudly screeching the cookie-cutter lyrics at the top of their fat lungs, with gusto. Not what I would call a pleasant mental image, lemme tell ya.

In short, Natasha Bedingfield is pretty, sure, but in this business, LOOKS < MUSIC. Oh wait, I forgot, this is 2006. Never mind. Enjoy your "Unwritten" tripe. I've lost faith in our youth.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 14, 2008 7:58 PM PDT

I've Heard The Mermaids Singing
I've Heard The Mermaids Singing
DVD ~ Sheila McCarthy
Price: $19.98
15 used & new from $4.21

1.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, Rules Of Attraction..., September 27, 2006
...but I have a new least favorite movie, and its name is I've Heard The Mermaids Singing.

This is easily the worst movie I've seen yet. I've sat through some huge stinkers (Fast and the Furious, The Smokers, the aforementioned Rules Of Attraction, etc.), but this one somehow manages to outstink them all. It's a piece of pretentious, unintelligible, artsy-fartsy garbage. The lead actress (and I use the word "actress" loosely) is so annoying, you'll be hoping for her death in the movie. I am not kidding. Her acting is about as natural as her hair color. She is way too damn hyper and perky. AND don't give me that "but egplamtt, shee s a free sp1r1t LOL LOL" jazz, either.

Again, do NOT see this movie. It will be the most painful 80 minutes of your life. Highly unrecommended. The only reason I give it one star is because that's the lowest Amazon will go. If possible I'd give it -10/5 stars. It's that bad. Seriously. This is Mystery Science Theater 3000 material, and I dunno about you folks, but I'd love to see this P.O.S. get owned by a talking gumball machine.

I've heard the mermaids singing, and they ain't singing to this turkey, that's for damn sure.

Wayne's World 1 & 2 - The Complete Epic
Wayne's World 1 & 2 - The Complete Epic
DVD ~ Mike Myers
Offered by Bat Country Books, LLC
Price: $49.94
68 used & new from $0.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Both Wayne's World movies for the price of one? GAME ON!, September 26, 2006
Well, here it is, kiddies, the Wayne's World epic. The story of Chicago-area rock-loving slackers, the charismatic Wayne Campbell and the geeky Garth Algar, that went from SNL sketch to '90s pop culture staple.

Wayne's World has become a classic in the fourteen years since its release (okay, now I feel old). Who can listen to Bohemian Rhapsody and not think of the opening scene? Who can play street hockey and not say "GAME ON!" when the street is clear? Exactly. The movie also introduced many '90s slang words. Not! Scha-WING! That's what she said! Asphinctersayswhat? She/It will be mine. Oh yes. She/it will be mine. Party on! The movie never takes itself seriously, and is quotable from start to finish (SEEN SAH BEEN DO WAH!!!). This is the Caddyshack of the '90s.

Oh, yeah, and the sequel is very good as well. Christopher Walken shines as the sleazy record producer. "You want me to say what. Like, I don't get it." Not quite as good as the first, but still sweet, right down to the Graduate parody.

Bottom line: both movies are classics. They never take themselves seriously, they're funny as hell, you can quote them from start to finish, and they're both fun rides. For this price, there is no reason not to buy this set. None, whatsoever. Do you hear me? BUY IT. NOW. PARTY ON!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20