Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Profile for Nana Hawkins > Reviews

Browse

Nana Hawkins' Profile

Customer Reviews: 64

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Nana Hawkins "ahawkins59" RSS Feed (Sunny California)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Hotel Transylvania
Hotel Transylvania
DVD
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars It was pretty fun-I love the animation and all the jokes, July 10, 2015
This review is from: Hotel Transylvania (Amazon Video)
Finally saw this for the first time! It was pretty fun-I love the animation and all the jokes. Well worth a few more watches-I want to catch all the witty humor again. I'm looking forward to the sequel!!

Marvel's The Avengers (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo in Blu-ray Packaging)
Marvel's The Avengers (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo in Blu-ray Packaging)
DVD ~ Robert Downey Jr.
Offered by The Big Lebowski
Price: $23.73
96 used & new from $8.06

5.0 out of 5 stars I Watched This Movie 5 Times in Theaters, January 25, 2014
...and I've watched it multiple times at home. This was the BEST of all the Marvel movies made so far. Joss Whedon is a phenomenal director, and it's such a fun movie to watch! It does help to watch at least the first two "Iron Man" movies, the first "Captain America" movie, and okay, yes, the first "Thor" movie (as blah as it was) in order to understand the characters in "The Avengers". In fact I would recommend that you get these other movies along with "The Avengers" and have yourself a Marvel movie-fest.

Star Wars Trilogy (A New Hope / The Empire Strikes Back / Return of the Jedi) (Widescreen Edition with Bonus Disc)
DVD ~ Mark Hamill
Offered by International Buyers
Price: $62.55
49 used & new from $22.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Star Wars, January 25, 2014
What can I possibly say as someone who watched the original trilogy when I was 8 years old and was hooked from that point? Granted, these are the "Special Editions", with a few extra scenes (and the altered Han Solo and Greedo scene, WHICH ISN'T REAL, but I just assure myself that I know what actually happened), but this is the perfect collection for someone who doesn't want the Blu-Rays, which, I heard, had further alterations that I am not about to hang with.

Mister Roberts
Mister Roberts
DVD ~ Henry Fonda
Offered by Phase 3, LLC
Price: $13.56
66 used & new from $3.15

5.0 out of 5 stars If You Like Henry Fonda..., January 25, 2014
This review is from: Mister Roberts (DVD)
I've seen this movie multiple times. It's an excellent story and has an all-star cast. They don't make movies like this anymore. From a woman's perspective, it's also always nice to watch a movie with a bunch of men in uniform. :) But that's a superficial way to see it. Watching this always re-affirms my appreciation for the military and what they do for us. An important story element in this film is the fact that Mister Roberts wants to be put into combat during WW2, but instead he's stationed on a Navy supply ship that doesn't see any fighting. You can't help but feel for Mister Roberts, while also realizing at the same time that every soldier, whether he/she is stationed at a supply point or is in the front lines, does his or her part - all parts contribute to the whole. What matters is that these people are appreciated and supported by us.

30 Rock: Season 6
30 Rock: Season 6
DVD ~ Tina Fey
Offered by Movieshack
Price: $10.19
37 used & new from $7.22

5.0 out of 5 stars More Antics at NBC, January 25, 2014
This review is from: 30 Rock: Season 6 (DVD)
I love "30 Rock". I've been watching it for several years, ever since my now-fiance introduced me to it. The writing is clever and there's just so much of the wacky and hilarious in this ongoing story of the colorful characters on The Girlie Show at NBC. The characters are so blatant and honest about themselves - there's no beating around the bush - the obvious imperfections of these people are out there, but somehow we as viewers of the show just love them more! I have a hard time watching "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" because I just can't stand how the characters are self-absorbed and plain stupid. I thoroughly enjoy "30 Rock" because at least most of the characters have redeeming qualities about them. They make mistakes and do a lot dumb things, but they're not constantly in denial like the people in "It's Always Sunny...".

Dredd [3D Blu-ray/Blu-ray + Digital Copy + UltraViolet]
Dredd [3D Blu-ray/Blu-ray + Digital Copy + UltraViolet]
DVD ~ Lena Headey
Offered by Park Slope Outlet
Price: $9.69
80 used & new from $3.77

5.0 out of 5 stars The Future of Peacekeeping, January 25, 2014
This was not a box office hit, but I know that that doesn't mean anything. This was very well-done: the story was solid and the acting was great. It's a "day in the life of" kind of story-specifically a day in the life of Judge Dredd. The film takes place over the course of one day as he takes a rookie out on his circuit. If you're in the mood for a dystopian/sci-fi-ish story, with lots of action scenes and high stakes, check this film out. It's non-stop from the beginning - you are brought right into this future world and shown how far it's fallen, and you can't help but root for Dredd, one of the few bastions of justice.

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games
DVD
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Oddly, Better Than the Book, January 25, 2014
This review is from: The Hunger Games (Amazon Video)
Don't get me wrong - I quite liked the book The Hunger Games. It's not the best written book, though - the writing is nothing super spectacular. It's narrated from Katniss' point of view, and, well, much of the time she sounds like the teenager that she is. I think the filmmakers put so much TLC into the film because of the widespread popularity of the book, meaning that, if readers who saw the movie were disappointed, the movie would fail to bring in any profits. The directing, the acting, and the script-writing were really well done. It was the best translation from book to film that I'd seen in a long time. I liked it better than the original book, mainly because the WRITING was so much better. I've watched this movie several times, but I've only read the Hunger Games trilogy once. Even people who haven't read the book can enjoy the movie and know what's going on, unlike the Harry Potter films (all us HP readers got it, but I have friends who just could not figure out what was going on in one or the other of the HP movies).

Once Upon A Time: Season 2
Once Upon A Time: Season 2
DVD ~ Jennifer Morrison
Offered by The Big Lebowski
Price: $18.70
44 used & new from $11.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the Right Amount of Cheesy, January 25, 2014
This review is from: Once Upon A Time: Season 2 (DVD)
I love this show. I'm a bit behind (on this season I still have the finale to watch), but I also want to take it slowly and make it last longer. I love fairytales and when I first learned of "Once Upon a Time" I was happily watching each episode on Hulu or on DVR. The acting is quite believable, though there are places where it seems forced; there's a lot of sobbing, a lot of TV special effects (but they're pretty good, for a TV show), and a lot of emotional scenes, but it's just the right amount. I believe the characters and I can believe the story. I love how all the characters' different storylines are interwoven and how the story goes back and forth in time. I'm looking forward to Season 3 coming to DVD!!

Seven Psychopaths
Seven Psychopaths
DVD ~ Tom Waits
Offered by Jumpin Joes
Price: $5.72
54 used & new from $0.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Quirky Action, January 25, 2014
This review is from: Seven Psychopaths (DVD)
This is a well-written film. Only in the last few years have I really gotten into action films, but one of the keys to a good one is a good script. Everything about this movie, from the complex characters, to the cinematography, to the dialogue, contributes to an enjoyable viewing experience. It's quite violent and it deals with a dark side of humanity, but this film handles it well. It's what makes a movie watchable or a book readable: dark, scary, weird things, when handled correctly, can and should spur people on to think critically.

30 Rock: Season 7
30 Rock: Season 7
DVD ~ Tina Fey
Price: $25.89
24 used & new from $17.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Liz Lemon's Last, January 25, 2014
This review is from: 30 Rock: Season 7 (DVD)
My fiance and I have been watching "30 Rock" for about 5 years, and we were so excited to order this season! I think this was one of the best seasons and we both agreed that it tied up all the loose story ends nicely. This is the kind of show that we can turn on and watch at any time, and consequently we've watched several episodes several times over. We're actually currently re-watching this specific season and it's just as good the second time around. There are no holds on the jokes, the crazy/hilarious situations, and the foibles. It was a bittersweet feeling when I learned that this was to be the last season, but I'm also glad that it ended so well.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7