Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Drowners The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Profile for Voracious Reader > Reviews

Browse

Voracious Reader's Profile

Customer Reviews: 103

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Voracious Reader RSS Feed (Massachusetts)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
6 Pack - Bandanas Jumbo Trainmen Cotton Biker Headwraps 27" x 27"
6 Pack - Bandanas Jumbo Trainmen Cotton Biker Headwraps 27" x 27"
Offered by Army Universe
Price: $24.99
2 used & new from $24.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money unless you only want the cloth., June 3, 2016
When I got them, I briefly washed them in cold water to get the sizing out. I was quite surprised(!) to see a lot of the color come flooding out too. The red-on-black suffered worst (see photo), the red going to a blotchy pink. The black and olive were next. The red (not shown), strangely, hardly suffered at all. It must have been a different substance than was used in the red-on-black one. The white, obviously, had so little color that the color loss was pretty much unnoticeable.

27x27 size: EXCELLENT!

Dye that pours out in the wash-water, leaving the cloth streaked and faded looking? FAIL.

I have a US-made kerchief (WAMCRAFT) that's at least 30 years old. The color is still as strong as when it was new. The cloth itself is nearly worn out from use, but the color remains solid and unchanged. Today everything comes from Mainland China, the misnamed PRC, and it's pretty clear that their products are made just to be sold, not to give satisfaction. The Mainland Chinese don't seem to care about repeat business, because I don't think I've ever bought anything made there that was worth the money I paid or that I would ever buy again. So now I only buy locally and from places like Amazon, that have good return policies. AND I try to avoid buying *anything* from Mainland China!

Amazon would do us all a service if they started supplying country-of-manufacture information.
Comment Comment | Permalink

uxcell Black 8mm x 40mm Thread Replacement Star Hand Knob Tightening Screw
uxcell Black 8mm x 40mm Thread Replacement Star Hand Knob Tightening Screw
Offered by Saim's Store
Price: $4.96
4 used & new from $3.66

1.0 out of 5 stars Typically poor Chinese quality control, May 30, 2016
It wasn't actually an 8mm shaft, calipering out to 7.75mm which made it useless. Uxcell refunded my money. Nice people, bad quality control.

8x8mm CNC Motor Jaw Shaft Coupler 8mm To 8mm Flexible Coupling OD 25x20mm Silver Tone
Offered by Owfeel®
Price: $7.71

3.0 out of 5 stars Good if you need A LOT of flexibility. The flex is possibly not so good for longevity (metal fatigue), May 30, 2016
It's astonishingly flexible, for a chunk of aluminium.

I'd to tighten the set screws down completely --no remaining ability to tighten-- before it would couple the 8mm lead screw to the 8mm knob shaft. But it did couple them, and that's all I required.

40 Power Tools You Can Make (Woodworking Classics)
40 Power Tools You Can Make (Woodworking Classics)
by W C. Lammey
Price: $12.95
45 used & new from $7.35

2.0 out of 5 stars The blueprint on the cover should be a hint, May 16, 2016
This book could be titled "How to Use Power Tools to Build Other Power Tools That Don't Work As Well As The Tools You Had To Use In Order To Build Them".

But that would be misleading, because the book doesn't offer plans or enough information to actually allow you to build them if you were so inclined. Unless you are already a MechE or practical machinist, in which case you don't need the book!

Moody Tools 51-1520 Reversible Carbide Point "Shirt Pocket" Scriber With Clip
Moody Tools 51-1520 Reversible Carbide Point "Shirt Pocket" Scriber With Clip
Price: $5.64
4 used & new from $3.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice tool that could easily have been better, May 13, 2016
VERY good that it's US made.

Not so good that "reversible" doesn't mean to me what it means to whoever wrote the description. I thought it meant a point on each end, to double the time between re-sharpenings. But to the writer it means the point can be reversed so that it's hidden inside the holder, and the other end of the carbide "lead", completely blunt, is exposed instead. Good for not getting poked with the point, I guess.

Not so good that it has a teeny-tiny point that will wear quite rapidly compared to the pencil-type point I was expecting.

The Ideal Man
The Ideal Man
by Julie Garwood
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $5.99
199 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, up there with her best, May 5, 2016
This is one of her best (imo). Her characters are well-drawn and the plot is multi-threaded, which is really nice since it means I can re-read it enjoyably more than just a few times. Like Jayne Krentz, Garwood adds humor to leaven the grimness, the grimness in this case including a sexual psychopath and two "ordinary" criminal psychopaths and their henchcreatures. The humor includes a Really Obnoxious sister who gets a well-deserved comeuppance.

PostScript Language Tutorial and Cookbook
PostScript Language Tutorial and Cookbook
by AdobeSystems Inc.
Price: $22.63
95 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book if you want a quick dose of instruction in postfix programming, May 5, 2016
When the postscript language first came out, we all used this book and the thin red reference to teach ourselves how to program by hand in the language. But over the years I forgot how, and my copy of this book got widdled on by a nervous cat. So it was nice to be able to buy a replacement copy.

Hirbawi Premium Arabic Scarf, 100% Cotton, Made in Palestine, Biggest Size 47"x47" True Original Classic Arab Fashion Square Scarf Shemagh Keffiyeh Hatta (Red and White)
Offered by Holyland Treasury
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money, good token of solidarity, May 5, 2016
Summary for the impatient: it provides good value for money as a garment, and it's an excellent, visible token of solidarity with the people of Occupied Palestine.

The shipping was VERY prompt--I received my kuffiyya --(the trad black-and-white one, not the red-and-white that I can't seem to change)-- almost immediately, the advantage of having local stocks rather than having to send to Palestine for them.

I'd never seen a kuffiyya up close "in the flesh" before now, and I'd made 3 assumptions that turned out to be wrong:

- the fabric is not tightly woven. It alternates thread with no-thread so that air can pass through pretty easily when the kuffiyya is not bunched up or layered. Which is nice for hot weather. At first I thought it was a knit --it gives a sort of t-shirt-material impression at first glance-- but it's not, it's a straight over-under-over-under basket weave. I imagine it'll look "smoother" after I've washed it a time or two.

- the straight bars of color around the edge are woven in, but the decoration (scallops, netting) is not. The decoration is added to the surface with something like an industrial sewing machine that knows how to do decorative stitches (my first thought was "oh! my machine knows how to do that", but the black thread used for the decorative stitches is far too thick for a little tabletop machine no matter how smart and sturdy it is). Because the decorative stitches are added-on, the base fabric gets a tiny bit snagged where the decoration is being "tied off" so it can skip to the next section. And because it's not woven in, the decoration is only on one side.

- the band of tasseling around the edges is not integral to the kuffiyya, it's also added on. I should have known that it would be, but for some reason it surprised me. The tasseling looks like handwork (if there's a machine that knows how to do it, I can't imagine how it would work), so I hope it's not imported from China.

What I'd call the "fit and finish" is sketchy, but I'm not bothered by it -- the kuffiyya would have to retail for $50 here to justify that much extra attention to detail - or be made by slave labor in China which would be repulsive as well as inauthentic. I can do the fit-and-finish myself, for this price.

When it arrived I spread it out on my bed to look at it. Naturally the cat whom I live with and support immediately decided I'd bought it for him and gave it his Felid Seal Of Approval: he curled up right in the middle of it for a nap.

I bought this one mostly for solidarity, but now that I've seen how utilitarian it is I'll soon be buying at least one more.

Sunshine Joy India Star Bandana Purple and Green
Sunshine Joy India Star Bandana Purple and Green
Offered by Atharva Products
Price: $9.40
5 used & new from $9.40

1.0 out of 5 stars Pretty, but cheesy and smelly. Very smelly., April 28, 2016
This review is from: Sunshine Joy India Star Bandana
NOTE: ALTHOUGH THE WEB PAGE SAYS "FREE RETURNS", THE ITEM *CANNOT* BE RETURNED! That was just now confirmed to me by Amazon's customer service.

The material is woven loosely enough to be translucent, and feels cheesy rather than of good quality.

The dimensions are 21 x 22, not 22 x 22.

The ad says it's created by traditional methods, but if that's true then it must be a really recent tradition, because the inks used have a solvent base whereas trad inks are water-based. I find the solvent odor to be both strong and unpleasant, and it doesn't seem to be going away with exposure to the air.

I'd like to wash the kerchief and see whether that would help with the smell, but I'm afraid I wouldn't be allowed to return it if the washing didn't help. So I think I'll have to just return it without experimenting.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 16, 2016 1:25 PM PDT

StarTech.com 1m Serial Attached SCSI SAS Cable - SFF-8087 to 4x Latching SATA (SAS8087S4100)
Price: $23.15
53 used & new from $23.15

4.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable quality, and they work., March 23, 2016
It's hard to extol the virtues of something that either works correctly or doesn't. Whoever makes these for StarTech (some Shenzhen sweatshop, no doubt) is doing a good job. Or at least they did a good job on the 2 I bought. I'll probably buy more when I add more cards.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11