Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Goo-goo Dolls Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now
Profile for W. Edwards > Reviews

Browse

W. Edwards' Profile

Customer Reviews: 40

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

W. Edwards RSS Feed (WA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
LEGO Friends Heartlake Cupcake Café 41119
LEGO Friends Heartlake Cupcake Café 41119
Price: $31.99
27 used & new from $31.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very cute set; builds well with others., March 11, 2016
I was originally leery of the Lego Friends brand - it annoyed me that the Legos I'd grown up with got this girly gloss on them in order to be marketed better. Now that I have girls of my own though, I've found the toy is still the same under all that pink, and my girls love them.

We own quite a few sets of the Lego Friends now, and I must say that the 'shop' sets get the most play. The shop wall pieces work well for future building projects - some sets have lots of little pieces that don't play well with other sets. Shop sets recycle well into house walls, castle walls, etc. And the girls love the cupcake concept (which can be done with other pieces from other sets). Plus there are two minifigs and a Vespa. Worth it for the vespa alone, really.

Cut & Color Paper Dolls: Alice and Anna (Dover Paper Dolls)
Cut & Color Paper Dolls: Alice and Anna (Dover Paper Dolls)
by Ming-Ju Sun
Price: $3.95
23 used & new from $1.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Great For Older Colorists, March 1, 2016
This is a great coloring book for older colorists. For little children (read, elementary ages) it may just be an exercise in frustration.

The Goal: My daughter (age 6) had enjoyed online paper dolls (Marisol Monday) and wanted a coloring book paper doll. Sadly, this did not prove a very good solution for her. It would be a great book for a talented colorist - which, sadly, my daughter is not (well, not yet, anyhow).

Pros:
* VERY cute turn of century costumes, historically detailed, and a very extensive wardrobe.
* Nice quality paper, cute drawings, solid lines, good print quality, generally a very good coloring book.

Cons (not really 'cons,' actually, more 'Buyer, be aware':)
* requires scissors & has some tricky cuts to make - needs to be cut on hat lines, etc. basically, NOT for 6 year olds hands
* Has many small details on the costume to color.
* just 2 dolls for all costumes - which is fine, of course, except if you have a young colorist who messes up on the first try of coloring the doll, and then breaks down when she realizes there is no take-backsies on crayon coloring.

In short: this was a total exercise in frustration for the 6 year old, BUT it would probably be a lot of fun for an older or more talented and patient colorist. Best left for the semi-pros.

Forum Novelties Queen of the Nile Child Wig
Forum Novelties Queen of the Nile Child Wig
Offered by THE BT GROUP
Price: $10.16
17 used & new from $8.60

1.0 out of 5 stars Itchy, ugly, waste of money., February 28, 2016
Daughter put it on once and refused to wear it for Halloween. Couldn't even give it away and threw it out. Total waste of money. Won't buy again.

Moleskine Classic Notebook, Large, Plain, Black, Hard Cover (5 x 8.25) (Classic Notebooks)
by Moleskine
Price: $12.91
174 used & new from $10.10

5.0 out of 5 stars For all the hype, these really are great notebooks, February 28, 2016
Yes, these are insanely hyped. Yes, many people speak of these in terms of love poetry. But they are a great notebook, and having used them for years an amassed a small library of collected journaling, I like these best.

What's Great:
* the size - is around the same size as a paperback or Kindle - fits into the same spaces.
* elastic - holds the thing closed, keeps these from falling open or the pages from getting crunched.
* the quality - consistent and good
* the price - on amazon, and with prime delivery, is much better than anywhere else
* pocket in the back always comes in handy for storing things

What's not great:
* the cloth 'bookmark' attached always frays. always. i think I need to start 'painting' the end with clear nail polish to keep it from doing so. otherwise, i cut it out
*These will not magically turn you into Chatwin or Picasso or whatever, in spite of what is implied about them.
* I sometimes fear being taken as a poser for carrying one around. BUT! they really are my favorite style of notebook and I stock up on them here on amazon.
* Also, I wish there was a place to put a pen or pencil on them, but oh well.

These are great notebooks and this is the best place I've found to buy them.

Dragon Age: Dawn of the Seeker
Dragon Age: Dawn of the Seeker
DVD
Price: $2.99

2.0 out of 5 stars only for hardcore fans who want every scrap of lore, September 5, 2015
Interesting animation. Occasionally gorgeous, occasionally really poor graphics. Terrible storytelling. Sorry, but there it is. I'm a huge fan of the video games, but this really sub-par writing. If you wanted to explore every corner of the Dragon Age lore, it's worth a rental. Otherwise, I can't imagine anyone else who would want to watch this.

Free Country Big Girls'  Digital-Stripe Boarder Winter Coat
Free Country Big Girls' Digital-Stripe Boarder Winter Coat

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Coat, good price for a snow-skirt version, November 24, 2014
I was trying to find a good boarding coat with a snow skirt, but didn't want to break the bank ($100+ for a girl's coat? give me a break!)

These coats are big on my girls, but I ordered a size and a half up so they will fit for next year, too. They're good quality, very pretty, and girls love them. The only thing I'm not thrilled with is the faux 'fur'. I think it looks kind of cheap, to be honest. But the girls think it's 'fancy', so they don't mind.

Very nice coat. I will definitely keep the Free Country brand in mind in the future.

Haba Doll Sisters Lennja & Elin
Haba Doll Sisters Lennja & Elin
Offered by Really Great Toys
Price: $52.99
18 used & new from $33.32

4.0 out of 5 stars High-quality Rag Dolls, November 24, 2014
My daughters (5yo&3yo) asked for dolls for Christmas. After asking what they wanted (basically, a cross between an American Girl doll and the Velveteen Rabbit) I started researching high-quality rag dolls and stumbled on the Haba brand. The dolls just arrived in the mail (about 3 days earlier than expected. nice job, seller!).

Pros:
* Soft - The dolls fit the bill: made to be snuggled, but can still work as a fashion doll for dressing up.
* Paired - I love that these are sisters, which perfectly fits for cases where you want to give dolls to a couple of sisters.
* Well-made - The two of them are SUPER cute. Their faces are just darling, the quality is very good. I was expecting them to have the painted/sticker eyes. I'd even called customer service to ask about that, and was told all the newer dolls have sticker eyes. But even so, these dolls arrived with stitched-on eyes, noses, mouths and eyebrows. Only the freckles are paint. That may vary from doll to doll, but I was quite pleased. The stitching gives the doll a very sweet, hand-crafted look.

Cons:
(Not really "cons" - more things I am a little 'meh' about. They aren't deal-breakers. Just considerations:)
* Size - Okay, I know the dimensions say 12" and 8" (it's actually 7" on the box). But as other reviewers have said of the other dolls, I was expecting something, well, bigger. They seemed small to me. On the other hand, I think my kids actually prefer smaller dolls. They tend to play more with dolls I think of as way too little, and ignore dolls that are larger. So it'll probably be perfect for them.
* Price - They say that you get what you pay for. I've heard good things about Haba durability and time will tell how well these dolls hold up to a child's love. But $50 IS kind of steep for two dolls, one of which is only 7" tall. I'm just telling myself that it's Christmas.
* Sewn-on pants for the little dolly - I got this set because the bigger dolly can be naked. Okay, that sounds weird, but my daughter finds it annoying when her dolls have sewn-on clothing. But the younger dolly has pants that are sewn on. Not my favorite thing, but that's a little gripe.

Rating: 4 stars for now. I think it may be 5, but I'll have to see how well they hold up to play.

Butterick Patterns B5030 Misses' Dress, Belt and Sash, Size BB (8-10-12-14)
Butterick Patterns B5030 Misses' Dress, Belt and Sash, Size BB (8-10-12-14)
Offered by Bargains By Dean
Price: $6.98
42 used & new from $4.25

3.0 out of 5 stars Isn't a wrap dress supposed to, ya know, WRAP? Just sayin'., February 10, 2014
First, several caveats:

* This is my first time sewing a clothing item for myself (besides aprons). I have done children's costumes and many household items (quilts, curtains, etc.) So I have a basic knowledge of sewing, but my knowledge of clothing-making is nil.
* I am tall (hence the attempt to make my own clothing) so added inches to the bodice at the 'lengthen here' points. This changed up the pattern *significantly*.
*This was my first time working with jersey knit.

Okay, so with that said: I was less than impressed with this pattern.

BIGGEST PROBLEM: The 'wrap mechanism' is pretty wack. The store-bought wrap dresses I've bought have a sort of keyhole/buttonhole set into the sideseam, just above the waist. They then have two belts - each attached to the front of the dress. You loop one belt through the buttonhole and out the other side, then you wind the belts around your back, to the front and voila! you cinch the dress as tight or loose as you like. This allows the dress to fit you always, right through thick and thin (literally). But this dress uses hook-and-eye closures to pin the front flap shut, then the belt ties around the waist on top of it - like a bathrobe.

And when I was finished with mine, it looked and fit like a bathrobe. Again though, that may have been my lack of sewing skills. Still, what's the point of wrap dress that won't actually *wrap*?

OTHER PROBLEMS: The Fit - My biggest trouble came from lengthening the bodice. In retrospect, it ended up changing the overall shape of the bodice, not just elongating it. I am SURE this is a user error thing, but it was really frustrating all the same. It made the bodice HUGELY big, rather than simply longer. I took in the sides at the seams and the bodice at the darts - even so, when I was done the thing was way too big on me.

The neckband - Looking at other sewing blogs, I see several people really loved the pattern - in D, E, or F mode (with the collar). I tried to do C (a variation of the banded neckline). The neckband instructions completely baffled me. I put the band on backward at first, then failed to get it lined up with the lower skirt, then it was all lumpy. Ugh, ugh, and ugh. This was all from following the pictures in the pattern. But then, I'm a newb at following patterns. They are written in a foreign language, I swear.

CONCLUSION: So, again, caveat - this is my first time following a dress pattern and I'm SUPER impatient. So experienced dressmakers, you might be fine. But really, why make a wrap dress that doesn't, you know, WRAP? The point is to wrap, not clip into the sides with a hook and eye. I suppose you could try and do the keyhole/buttonhole trick. I did, but by that point, the dress was such a hot mess of baggy horridness, there wasn't much point. I threw it away. :(

Thankfully, I was using jersey I got on sale, rather than something expensive. So I'm out about $22 for pattern, interfacing, and fabric, and out a weekend of wasting my time. In the future, I think I'll start in on something simpler and make sure to check the pattern for easy-to-elongate points and overall design rather than trusting the picture on the cover. Lesson learned.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Figurines, Rather fragile, though, January 14, 2014
I've gotten my daughters other Disney figurines for their Melissa and Doug castle: the Disney Princess Deluxe set and the Brave Deluxe set. The Frozen one compares thusly:

PROS: Very pretty. These figurines look very much like the movie characters, with lovely details. The Elsa and Anna, in particular, are very well painted in our set and look lovely. The girls adore them. Plus, Elsa sparkles. Bonus.

CONS: Delicate! This set appears even more delicate than the Brave one (and with the Brave set, the bases have fallen off the figurines, hair has snapped off, swords broken, etc. There's a LOT of hot-glue-gun holding that set together). So far, we've no breaks in the first week, but that Olaf looks like he's going to lose parts as often as he does in the movie.

Summary: Very pretty, but if you do Disney figurines and let your kids play with them, take my advice and invest in a hot glue gun to put them back together.

Handful Adjustable Bra, Small, Black
Handful Adjustable Bra, Small, Black
Offered by Handful
Price: $36.00
2 used & new from $31.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally! A sports bra for all day., July 17, 2013
This review is from: Handful Adjustable Bra (Apparel)
I wandered my way to the Handful site from some Crossfit something or other. I forget. But I was intrigued by the recommendations for these bras. I ordered 2 and they have not disappointed.

I started out small-busted and like a lot of women who have done fitness training, I got smaller. These are amazing bras for smaller busted women. The push up and padding adds a nice shape - they look great under clothing, especially fitted jersey knit. They look great AND feel great. Actually, they don't "feel" at all. I forget about them for most of the day. Seriously, this is my new go-to bra. So excited the company is moving production to the USA, too. A few notes:

* Travels REALLY well. Packs well, looks good under almost all clothing, is basically a sports bra, so it's comfy all day. Win-win.

* The cut is a little higher in the bust-line than some of the lower-cut shirts or dresses that I wear. Sometimes I have to wear a camisole with this to avoid bra-showing.

* I found the racer-back configuration with the straps cut into my shoulders. For some reason, the straight up-and-down set up does not, so I just changed them.

* Sizing was exactly what I expected given other reviews. I'm on the tall side (5'10") and about a 34B. Small was perfect. I got the black and beige, and plan to stock up on more colors.

* I do have to be careful getting out of these. They're well made, but the seams don't handle me tugging too rough to get over my head. This is a bit tricky if you're sore, but basically go slow to get them on and off.

Truly a great bra. Throwing all the other bras away.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4