Profile for W. Edwards > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 37

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

W. Edwards RSS Feed (WA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Free Country Big Girls'  Digital-Stripe Boarder Winter Coat
Free Country Big Girls' Digital-Stripe Boarder Winter Coat

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Coat, good price for a snow-skirt version, November 24, 2014
I was trying to find a good boarding coat with a snow skirt, but didn't want to break the bank ($100+ for a girl's coat? give me a break!)

These coats are big on my girls, but I ordered a size and a half up so they will fit for next year, too. They're good quality, very pretty, and girls love them. The only thing I'm not thrilled with is the faux 'fur'. I think it looks kind of cheap, to be honest. But the girls think it's 'fancy', so they don't mind.

Very nice coat. I will definitely keep the Free Country brand in mind in the future.

Haba Doll Sisters Lennja & Elin
Haba Doll Sisters Lennja & Elin
Offered by River Runners
Price: $47.49
7 used & new from $47.49

4.0 out of 5 stars High-quality Rag Dolls, November 24, 2014
My daughters (5yo&3yo) asked for dolls for Christmas. After asking what they wanted (basically, a cross between an American Girl doll and the Velveteen Rabbit) I started researching high-quality rag dolls and stumbled on the Haba brand. The dolls just arrived in the mail (about 3 days earlier than expected. nice job, seller!).

Pros:
* Soft - The dolls fit the bill: made to be snuggled, but can still work as a fashion doll for dressing up.
* Paired - I love that these are sisters, which perfectly fits for cases where you want to give dolls to a couple of sisters.
* Well-made - The two of them are SUPER cute. Their faces are just darling, the quality is very good. I was expecting them to have the painted/sticker eyes. I'd even called customer service to ask about that, and was told all the newer dolls have sticker eyes. But even so, these dolls arrived with stitched-on eyes, noses, mouths and eyebrows. Only the freckles are paint. That may vary from doll to doll, but I was quite pleased. The stitching gives the doll a very sweet, hand-crafted look.

Cons:
(Not really "cons" - more things I am a little 'meh' about. They aren't deal-breakers. Just considerations:)
* Size - Okay, I know the dimensions say 12" and 8" (it's actually 7" on the box). But as other reviewers have said of the other dolls, I was expecting something, well, bigger. They seemed small to me. On the other hand, I think my kids actually prefer smaller dolls. They tend to play more with dolls I think of as way too little, and ignore dolls that are larger. So it'll probably be perfect for them.
* Price - They say that you get what you pay for. I've heard good things about Haba durability and time will tell how well these dolls hold up to a child's love. But $50 IS kind of steep for two dolls, one of which is only 7" tall. I'm just telling myself that it's Christmas.
* Sewn-on pants for the little dolly - I got this set because the bigger dolly can be naked. Okay, that sounds weird, but my daughter finds it annoying when her dolls have sewn-on clothing. But the younger dolly has pants that are sewn on. Not my favorite thing, but that's a little gripe.

Rating: 4 stars for now. I think it may be 5, but I'll have to see how well they hold up to play.

Butterick Patterns B5030 Misses' Dress, Belt and Sash, Size BB (8-10-12-14)
Butterick Patterns B5030 Misses' Dress, Belt and Sash, Size BB (8-10-12-14)
Offered by aplusbooks22
Price: $4.25
8 used & new from $4.25

3.0 out of 5 stars Isn't a wrap dress supposed to, ya know, WRAP? Just sayin'., February 10, 2014
First, several caveats:

* This is my first time sewing a clothing item for myself (besides aprons). I have done children's costumes and many household items (quilts, curtains, etc.) So I have a basic knowledge of sewing, but my knowledge of clothing-making is nil.
* I am tall (hence the attempt to make my own clothing) so added inches to the bodice at the 'lengthen here' points. This changed up the pattern *significantly*.
*This was my first time working with jersey knit.

Okay, so with that said: I was less than impressed with this pattern.

BIGGEST PROBLEM: The 'wrap mechanism' is pretty wack. The store-bought wrap dresses I've bought have a sort of keyhole/buttonhole set into the sideseam, just above the waist. They then have two belts - each attached to the front of the dress. You loop one belt through the buttonhole and out the other side, then you wind the belts around your back, to the front and voila! you cinch the dress as tight or loose as you like. This allows the dress to fit you always, right through thick and thin (literally). But this dress uses hook-and-eye closures to pin the front flap shut, then the belt ties around the waist on top of it - like a bathrobe.

And when I was finished with mine, it looked and fit like a bathrobe. Again though, that may have been my lack of sewing skills. Still, what's the point of wrap dress that won't actually *wrap*?

OTHER PROBLEMS: The Fit - My biggest trouble came from lengthening the bodice. In retrospect, it ended up changing the overall shape of the bodice, not just elongating it. I am SURE this is a user error thing, but it was really frustrating all the same. It made the bodice HUGELY big, rather than simply longer. I took in the sides at the seams and the bodice at the darts - even so, when I was done the thing was way too big on me.

The neckband - Looking at other sewing blogs, I see several people really loved the pattern - in D, E, or F mode (with the collar). I tried to do C (a variation of the banded neckline). The neckband instructions completely baffled me. I put the band on backward at first, then failed to get it lined up with the lower skirt, then it was all lumpy. Ugh, ugh, and ugh. This was all from following the pictures in the pattern. But then, I'm a newb at following patterns. They are written in a foreign language, I swear.

CONCLUSION: So, again, caveat - this is my first time following a dress pattern and I'm SUPER impatient. So experienced dressmakers, you might be fine. But really, why make a wrap dress that doesn't, you know, WRAP? The point is to wrap, not clip into the sides with a hook and eye. I suppose you could try and do the keyhole/buttonhole trick. I did, but by that point, the dress was such a hot mess of baggy horridness, there wasn't much point. I threw it away. :(

Thankfully, I was using jersey I got on sale, rather than something expensive. So I'm out about $22 for pattern, interfacing, and fabric, and out a weekend of wasting my time. In the future, I think I'll start in on something simpler and make sure to check the pattern for easy-to-elongate points and overall design rather than trusting the picture on the cover. Lesson learned.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Figurines, Rather fragile, though, January 14, 2014
I've gotten my daughters other Disney figurines for their Melissa and Doug castle: the Disney Princess Deluxe set and the Brave Deluxe set. The Frozen one compares thusly:

PROS: Very pretty. These figurines look very much like the movie characters, with lovely details. The Elsa and Anna, in particular, are very well painted in our set and look lovely. The girls adore them. Plus, Elsa sparkles. Bonus.

CONS: Delicate! This set appears even more delicate than the Brave one (and with the Brave set, the bases have fallen off the figurines, hair has snapped off, swords broken, etc. There's a LOT of hot-glue-gun holding that set together). So far, we've no breaks in the first week, but that Olaf looks like he's going to lose parts as often as he does in the movie.

Summary: Very pretty, but if you do Disney figurines and let your kids play with them, take my advice and invest in a hot glue gun to put them back together.

Handful Adjustable Bra, Small, Black
Handful Adjustable Bra, Small, Black
Offered by Handful
Price: $48.00
2 used & new from $48.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally! A sports bra for all day., July 17, 2013
This review is from: Handful Adjustable Bra (Apparel)
I wandered my way to the Handful site from some Crossfit something or other. I forget. But I was intrigued by the recommendations for these bras. I ordered 2 and they have not disappointed.

I started out small-busted and like a lot of women who have done fitness training, I got smaller. These are amazing bras for smaller busted women. The push up and padding adds a nice shape - they look great under clothing, especially fitted jersey knit. They look great AND feel great. Actually, they don't "feel" at all. I forget about them for most of the day. Seriously, this is my new go-to bra. So excited the company is moving production to the USA, too. A few notes:

* Travels REALLY well. Packs well, looks good under almost all clothing, is basically a sports bra, so it's comfy all day. Win-win.

* The cut is a little higher in the bust-line than some of the lower-cut shirts or dresses that I wear. Sometimes I have to wear a camisole with this to avoid bra-showing.

* I found the racer-back configuration with the straps cut into my shoulders. For some reason, the straight up-and-down set up does not, so I just changed them.

* Sizing was exactly what I expected given other reviews. I'm on the tall side (5'10") and about a 34B. Small was perfect. I got the black and beige, and plan to stock up on more colors.

* I do have to be careful getting out of these. They're well made, but the seams don't handle me tugging too rough to get over my head. This is a bit tricky if you're sore, but basically go slow to get them on and off.

Truly a great bra. Throwing all the other bras away.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars unicorn + lifting + sparkle = awesomeness, July 17, 2013
I saw this graphic and HAD to buy this shirt. It was just too randomly awesome - or awesomely random - to pass up. When the shirt arrived, it fit WONDERFULLY (I ordered a Large, I'm tall and usually go for a M or L). The neck being bigger looks a bit odd over some shirts, but it's very flattering. The fit is lovely, the fabric is soft and light, but very warm.

Best of all, the ink graphic *sparkles*. I mean, it's a unicorn lifting a barbell, which is dorky and epic and just too much fantastic, but then the dark ink (black/deep charcoal) has little flecks of silver glitter in it. Amazingly, the glitter doesn't shed - it's good quality. Man, I love this shirt. Gotten so many laughs/compliments already. Nice work, spreadshirt.

ALO Women's Track Pants
ALO Women's Track Pants

5.0 out of 5 stars My Fave Workout Pants EVER! - love them for Crossfit! want another pair!, April 24, 2013
This review is from: ALO Women's Track Pants (Apparel)
I found a pair of these at Nordstrom's Rack and bought them - you know, just in case I ever got off my butt and got into a regular exercise program.

Fast forward, and I've been doing Crossfit for the past 7 months. These pants have been my go-to pants for all that time. These pants work great for pretty much anything thrown my way - box jumps, cardio, running, lifting, (attempting) rope climbs - you name it. So, here's what I like about them:

PROS:

GREAT FABRIC: I love this fabric. It's soft, but sturdy. It also has a slight 'compression' - meaning that it holds you 'in' ever so slightly. It bends with you, but doesn't droop or bag anywhere. It truly fits like a second skin. And it's pretty thick, too. The abuse I've put these pants through (100 burpees, 100 push ups, heck, if you Crossfit, you know what I'm talking about) is huge. They still look like they did the day I bought them. No noticeable wear or tear. Impressive.

HOLDS UP WELL TO WORKOUTS & WASHING: The fabric has held up to all that abuse AND and retained its stretch after multiple (like, every other night, pretty much) washings. And we're talking hot-water/hot-dryer washings, since I get pretty sweaty & need this dry by the next day. Again, impressive.

GREAT FIT: I should say, great fit for me. Others might fit these different. But for me, these are pretty darn near perfect. I'm on the tall side (5'10") and WAY pear-shaped (hello hips). The Large fit me fantastic from day 1. But amazingly, as I've lost inches (a whole pant/dress size by now and counting) - these have kept pace. The stretch on these means they still fit fine, even though my shape keeps changing. I have another pair of pants - expensive UnderArmor yoga pants - and after just a few months, the UAs are getting really baggy, especially in the waist. The Alo, however, still fit, thanks to the compression-like fabric & the thick waistband which keeps the pants up and keeps them from falling down (even during burpees). Also, the length on these for a long-legged gal is GREAT! I average a 34-35" inseam, and these are perfect.

FLATTERING: Granted, the point of a workout pant is what you do while wearing it, not how you look, etc. But it helps that these are slimming and the boot-leg cut is flattering. The compression fabric holds you in and the wide, heavy waistband helps as I'm working on toning my post-baby tummy. I try to change clothes after the gym, but if I have to run an errand after, I don't feel too self-conscious wearing these. And the hubby likes the look of these pants, so that's a bonus, too.

BREATHABLE: During the winter and spring, the breatability of these pants meant they were the perfect temp for working out. When summer heat hit, I did buy some Alo capris to get me through the worst of it. But Alo fabric is really great - its thick, but not heavy, and these pants are still good for lift days, even in the summer. I really love this fabric. It's the best.

CONS:....uh, only con is that I just have 1 pair of them and they're out of stock! If these ever come back, I'm going to buy more. In the meantime, I'm looking at the other Alo stuff...

Alo Yoga Women's Color Blocked Fitted Waist Pant
Alo Yoga Women's Color Blocked Fitted Waist Pant

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT performance, Okay for looks, April 24, 2013
First, let me say that the Alo sport brand is quickly becoming my favorite. I do Crossfit and occasionally do yoga, and Alo stuff holds up to the abuse of workouts + repeated washings. The thick fabric is opaque enough not to reveal anything (thank you!) and it has enough 'compression' to fit comfortably, but not tight, to move with you through yoga poses, squats, box jumps, 5k runs, etc. Really impressive. I love this brand.

These pants are just like my other Alo pants in terms of performance. They have held up so well. They're also LONG, which I love. I'm 5'10" and they are perfect for me. Other women have noted they prefer to hem theirs for length. Also the Alo brand fits well though the rise, so I don't need to tug at my pants all WOD long (which, seriously, who wants to do that?). Whatever fabric this is, it's just awesome - fits so well.

Alo pants are also super slimming and flattering. That doesn't really matter in a workout, I suppose, but I do always find myself needing to run an errand to or from the box, so it's a nice bonus that they look cute.

The *only* thing about this particular style of Alo pants is the design is a little odd. Maybe it's just the white, but the asymmetrical seam looks cute online. In person, I think it looks like someone just sewed the pants wrong, like the seam is falling down somehow, or got done crooked. Maybe it's just the way my shirt hits (not tucked in). Maybe it's just me. A friend suggested I return them for a 'fixed' pair until I told her that's just the way they're sewn. It doesn't ruin the performance or fit at all - it's just a design thing.

In summary, I like the look of the other Alo styles better, but for function, these work great.

Esther Williams Women's 50's Pin Up Swimsuit
Esther Williams Women's 50's Pin Up Swimsuit
Price: $59.98 - $82.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely for Looks (especially on big busts!) - not quite so great for active swimming, April 10, 2013
So I got this suit last year, and I ended up getting a new suit, with this as my backup. It's a great suit *if* it fits your needs. And your bust. Mostly your bust.

PROS:

*GREAT customer service. Truly wonderful folks who helped me figure out sizing, etc.

*Lovely design. The 50's style is cute, retro, very flattering. - It's especially flattering for curves. I can attest that my suit looked best when I was post-baby and had a lusher figure.

*Price. This style of suit can run up to $150+. The cost is pretty good.

*Made in USA. That's nice.

CONS: (not really *cons*, just, well, things that didn't fit my needs):

*Best on the big busted. Post baby, this was GREAT. A year out from weaning and the 'girls' returned to normal (read: small) size. I ended up altering the bust to be smaller. The suit is still pretty, but I can just remember when I was bustier, it showed off my chest nicely, minimized 'problem' areas like the tummy. It's really meant for curves, and I just don't fill it out.

*Uncomfortable for long swims.

For sitting by the pool, maybe taking a dip, this is a great suit. It's also very flattering for wearing with a skirt (and yes, these are totally legit reasons to have a suit). But for swimming, I find it less fun. First, I dislike halters. I feel I have to really tie it tight to keep close to the bust (again, the small bust thing). Also, I'm long torsoed, so it tends to pull down on me. The other problem is that the front of the suit has a second layer of fabric over the first. This effect *really* slims when you're out of the water, but once it's wet, you're basically wearing a second piece of wet swim fabric over the top of your suit. It takes longer than sport suits to dry, too.

None of this is *bad*, per se, it's just that it's definitely more of a for-the-looks suit.

*Not lined in the back. This is not a major problem, necessarily, just a 'so you know' thing. I prefer fully lined suits as a general rule.

Summary: It's a good swimsuit for a good price with great looks on the right body and great customer service.

Disney Princess Exclusive 10 Piece Deluxe Figurine Set Aurora, Ariel, Jasmine, Snow White, Tiana, Cinderella, Mulan, Pocahontas, Belle Rapunzel
Offered by ABCTOY4me
Price: $59.99
6 used & new from $18.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Toy for Little Princesses, but Buy Beware the Sizing!, January 20, 2013
As an alternative to Barbie dolls and the like this toy is GREAT! Only 2 things: buyer beware the quality and the set-to-set sizing.

PROs:

* FIGURINES ARE AWESOMER THAN BARBIES: Okay, this is totally subjective, but for playtime, I really prefer the figurines. There is less focus on the accessories, and more on the story and play. So many dolls, like Polly Pockets, Strawberry Shortcakes, and, of course, Barbie, have hair that gets tangled, heads that pop off, and those annoying clothes that *must* be changed every five seconds. Of course, the targeted ages (3-7) can't for the life of them deal with the small items. So mom/dad/caregiver gets to do all the work. These dolls allow the kids to play with their favorite princesses without tiny accessories to get lost and/or sucked up into the vacuum cleaner. Again, these are a GREAT alternative to other dollies.

* FIGURINE SIZED IS MORE VERSATILE FOR PLAY: These toys easily fit into toy castles (Melissa and Doug makes PERFECT castles/houses for these kind of toys), wooden block houses, etc. They're just a great size for imaginative play, and the fact that they don't have clothes to lose means the focus stays on building houses for them and making up stories with them.

* LESS SEXIST THAN OTHER PRINCESS TOYS: I love the Disney princesses, overly girly as they are. But I also want to raise strong, independent girls, and I worry about the messages that pink, froofy toys send them. The thing I love about these figurines is that they ARE the beloved pretty princesses in pretty dresses, but they can DO so much more than just dress up. And because these toys are on roughly the same scale as other 'boy' figurines - such as uncle's Star Wars toys, or a set of TooB knights that we got for Christmas, the girls don't think of them as 'girl toys.' When we have playdates with friends, everyone can play with the castle/blocks, and they just pick a figurine that they like best: princess or knight, it doesn't matter. I prefer that to the strict gendered play of Barbies and such.

* LOOK LIKE THE PRINCESSES: Little People made a princess doll set, and they are cute. However, they are shaped like ping-pong balls, and they don't look a thing like the Disney Princesses in the movies. These look like the cartoons, which my girls appreciate.

* PRETTY POSES: The poses for these princesses is probably the best thing about them. They look 'like them' - with the possible exception of Mulan, who has more sass than that, but whatever. The hair, especially, looks pretty nice, and much like the cartoons. The glitter paint is probably not something to let kids chew on, but it gives them a special shine.

* DELUXE SET HAS MORE PRINCESSES: I find it really annoying that some princesses are not 'official' - like Pocahontas and Mulan. This set has pretty much everyone but Esmerelda, Megara, and Giselle - and yeah, no one seems to remember who those other gals are. Sure, it's the Disney version of 'diversity,' but it's nice that this set has more than just the blonde princesses.

but I must add...

BUYER BEWARE!:

* QUALITY OF PAINTING: Is so-so. In our set, Tiana, Ariel, Snow White, Aurora, and Belle are lovely. The others are a little...off. Mulan (my favorite) is just freakish looking. Just as a warning, the quality of the facial paint job REALLY varies. My kids don't care, but be warned.

* QUALITY OF THE BASES: Some of these princesses stand on a solid circle of their molded plastic dress. Some have a little plastic circle. And on some, the plastic circle bends. You may find yourself having to bend the princesses around a little from time to time, trying to make them stand up straight.

* QUALITY OF PLASTIC: Is pretty solid on the whole. The one warning is that some parts - hands, arms, are a little thinner. Our 18 mo. old is past teething, but these could fall prey to younger teethers. Also, Ariel's tail got twisted off in a matter of days.

* ARIEL: Is pretty, but is also the weakest link of this set, in my opinion. Her tail snapped off almost right away. Also, she's sitting, not standing, and apparently absorbed in some kind of 'shell phone' (?) which makes her less fun to play with than the others. I ended up ordering a different Ariel - one as human in her pink dress - since this Ariel kept getting tossed aside.

* NO PRINCES: Yep, the first thing my daughter wanted upon getting this was - you guessed it - princes for the princesses. It made me wish there was a set of princes to go with the princesses. Otherwise, you have to order movie sets (as in, all Sleeping Beauty characters, etc.), OR you have to search hard to track down sold-separately princes, which brings me to the last point...

*** WATCH OUT FOR THE SIZING!: These princesses are all molded to the same scale. But across Disney figurine sets, the scale is NOT standard. The girls got 'Brave' and 'Rapunzel' sets for Christmas. Rapunzel was the same size (so now we have twin Rapunzels). Brave, however, is about 3/4 the size of these in scale. I also got a couple of princes - tracking them down separately - to go with the princesses. Some princes are the same size as the princesses. Some are a bit smaller. And some (John Smith, for example) are 1/2 the size of their princesses. The kids don't seem to care, but it is a bit odd looking. Just as a heads up, if you're wanting to collect a handful of figurines, the set-to-set sizing is NOT standard.

But for a good, solid alternative to Barbies, I am pleased with these toys. The girls love them, build houses for them, and make up stories and play with them every single day. They even try to sneak them into their beds each night. So to me, they've been a fantastic buy - even if they're not completely perfect. :)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4