Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for captain_mac > Reviews

Browse

captain_mac's Profile

Customer Reviews: 17

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

captain_mac RSS Feed (Orlando, FL United States)

Page: 1 | 2
No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Is Ruger's Problem YOUR Problem As Well, or Maybe Not?, April 24, 2016
Three stars, only to be fair. I have considered, but NOT purchased this product. I own six Glocks and three LC-series Rugers. ALL of them (with the POSSIBLE exception of a Ruger LC9S purchased mid-January of 2016) came from the factory with polymer recoil guide rods. All of the polymer rods were swapped with polished steel rods as they became available. EXCEPT for the LC9S, which had a "captured" spring/rod assembly that appears to be steel. It also has a weird conical-shaped stopper (for lack of a better word; it's more like the side view of a flying saucer) on the fore-end of the rod. Research leads me to believe I have a later production run of this pistol. My research into this matter was a result of seeing many negative reviews and personal anecdotes about failures to eject and/or failures to feed with the LC9S. After 200 rounds sent downrange with my LC9S, I haven't had a single bad episode. I have seen warnings from various aftermarket retailers stating their replacement rods for the "regular old" LC9/LC380 would NOT work on the LC9S. I have also seen and read both positive and negative reviews about the Galloway Precision product. Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, the folks at Ruger apparently have released a FREE replacement recoil rod assembly for the earlier LC9S production runs. On a BIG note - unlike the Galloway product, the Ruger fix does NOT require the tricky step of replacing the striker spring. There are lessons here to be heeded: Make sure you DO have a problem. If a problem does exist, allow the OEM maker an opportunity to fix it, especially if the repair is free. If the OEM is being slow to correct the problem, do some research PRIOR to trusting your firearm and possibly your personal well-being by purchasing a third party product.

Memory Lane
Memory Lane
Price: $13.19
36 used & new from $6.44

4.0 out of 5 stars Technically Disappointing, April 30, 2011
This review is from: Memory Lane (Audio CD)
Let me start off by saying I love the High Kings' music. They perform traditional Irish folk songs with a passion that is lacking in a lot of today's music in all genres. They are all extremely talented artists whose voices blend together very well, and their first CD ranks very high in my list of all-time favorites.

This second CD once again highlights their abilites as individual singers and as a vocal group, and the list of songs includes more of my favorite Irish melodies. But that is where my praise for this CD ends. The mixing and mastering of this latest collection is nowhere near the quality of their first product. The sound is metallic and subdued, and the voices sound like the mics were placed halfway across the studio. Dynamics are poor at best; the music wants to jump out at you, but it is being restrained.

My CD is the USA release; maybe the European import version is better (I would hope so). I even tried buying the mp3 album download as well, hoping the CD itself was the problem...but no. The difference in sound between their CDs is so dramatic, I can't believe the techies let this one go to production. And I can't believe another reviewer hasn't already mentioned this. Try a little A-B comparison of their two CDs for yourself without changing the volume or tone controls on your sound system.

But I absolutely refuse to give a rating below four stars for this CD; that would unfairly punish these fine musicians, their performance, and the music. But they should FIRE those responsible for butchering their work.

UPDATE - Still refusing to believe how bad the sound on this CD was, I gave the downloaded mp3 tracks another listen and did a thorough A-B comparison of the mp3 version of Memory Lane to the CD version, and performed the same comparison to their first CD. Using Adobe Audition and other software tools, I performed a full spectrum analysis to include dynamics, and confirmed that it wasn't just MY ears. The Memory Lane mp3 tracks are marginally better than the CD version and I now rank them as acceptable. But they still can't hold a candle to the quality of the High Kings' first CD.

The Irish Tenors / McNamara, McDermott, Kearns, Tynan
The Irish Tenors / McNamara, McDermott, Kearns, Tynan
96 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Tenor Trio!, November 21, 2008
A great selection of Irish folk songs performed by John McDermott, Anthony Kearns, and Ronan Tynan. Each of these fine vocalists perform solos on this live (not studio) CD, but they also sing as a trio on numerous tunes. This CD is the audio portion of the live Dublin concert that is part of the Irish Tenors Essential Collection DVD (the other concert was in Belfast).

Another reviewer made reference to her CD not having the song "Voyage", but having the song "Will Ye Go, Lassie, Go?" that her friend's copy of the same CD did not have. Well, my CD has 21 tracks, including BOTH of the songs mentioned! My CD is produced by Point Entertainment and has the item number MDT8552. The Amazon track listing shows only 20 tracks, and part of the confusion may rest in the naming of the song "Wild Mountain Thyme" which is also known as "Will Ye Go, Lassie, Go?" I don't have a clue what the problem is with these different versions of the CD.

I would be a little upset as well if my CD didn't have "Voyage" on it - it is one of John McDermott's trademark ballads. A different version of "Voyage" also appears on John's studio CD titled "Love is a Voyage".

Amazon also shows this CD to be out of production, so snap it up fast if you want a copy. I am quite pleased with this CD, and would highly recommend it to any fans of Irish/Scottish/Celtic music.

Hot Shots!: Part Deux
Hot Shots!: Part Deux
DVD ~ Charlie Sheen
Offered by morgantrader
Price: $9.98
66 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Between Iraq and a Hard Place, November 21, 2008
This review is from: Hot Shots!: Part Deux (DVD)
If you like comedies, movies about the military, or comedy movies about the military, then grab this one. It's fully loaded with great site gags, one-liners, and jabs at those "serious" military flicks. A great group of cast members who play off each other remarkably well. You'll laugh yourself right out of your camouflaged BVDs.

Cool Water
Cool Water
17 used & new from $2.42

5.0 out of 5 stars Remember when...???, November 21, 2008
This review is from: Cool Water (Audio CD)
If you like your western music the way I like my whiskey (straight), then look elsewhere. Let's face it, how many times have you seen a full orchestra sitting around the campfire? One normally envisions a guitar or two, and maybe a harmonica or concertina squeezebox. That being said, this CD is remarkable on several fronts.

The original recording dates to 1959, using RCA's (then) new "Living Stereo" technology, the beginning of "hi-fidelity stereo" sound as we know it today. I can remember listening to the original LP in my dad's record collection during the mid '60s. And make no mistake- this is WESTERN music, NOT country music! I loved every minute of it, then and now. It was a very clean studio recording featuring tight harmonies, and the orchestral back-up added a "full" sound without overwhelming the vocals or the "mood." The frequency response of the original recording is impressive as well when you consider its age; nice string bass and crisp tambourine. This CD can brag about its quality transfer to digital.

There are a total of eighteen Sons of the Pioneers favorites on this great CD, including "the Last Roundup," "Whoopie-Ti-Yi-Yo," "Tumbling Tumbleweeds," "Red River Valley," "Empty Saddles," "Wagon Wheels," and perhaps the best recording ever of "(Ghost) Riders in the Sky." Enjoy!

Jeff Dunham's Very Special Christmas Special
Jeff Dunham's Very Special Christmas Special
Offered by vntgbox
Price: $8.75
100 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars The Producers Should Go BLEEP Themselves, November 20, 2008
As others have already pointed out, this DVD is censored with annoying bleeps and there is NO option to hear the "bad" words. Sometimes, comedy is like a good whiskey - it is best when savored straight. Jeff's first two DVDs were either totally uncensored, or an option was given to the viewer. And as much as I enjoy Jeff's work, I was extremely BLEEPed-off upon my receipt of this DVD. The packaging should have "CENSORED" in big bold letters on the front. His production company should release an uncensored version of this DVD and offer a free exchange by mail.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 22, 2008 11:53 PM MST

Natural States
Natural States
DVD ~ Jan Nickman
9 used & new from $18.90

1.0 out of 5 stars Big Disappointment, October 25, 2008
This review is from: Natural States (DVD)
Having purchased the original CD "Natural States" by Lanz and Speer in the late '80s (along with their other new-age CD called "Desert Vision"), I quickly purchased the laser-disk (remember those?) versions. The music was great, and the videos were quite good as well. I still have them.

Good thing I kept them. Because the video quality on both of the DVD versions is absolutely disgusting, especially on Natural States (Desert Vision is marginally better). While the sound quality is OK, it looks as if they took a worn-out VHS tape and copied it onto DVD with absolutely NO processing to improve the picture quality. Even with my limited resources, I could have done a far superior job. What a rip-off!!! ZERO stars!!!

Amazon should immediately pull ALL products produced by this company.

Celtic Knights
Celtic Knights
Price: $14.12
10 used & new from $4.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Reel Fun Music, July 15, 2008
This review is from: Celtic Knights (Audio CD)
This CD features a talented group of musicians playing a variety of acoustic and electronic instruments, and a great selection of turbocharged Celtic folk songs with some delightful twists. Really a fun, head-bobbing, foot-tapping, and enjoyable CD! Thanks Steve!

Jeff Dunham: Spark of Insanity
Jeff Dunham: Spark of Insanity
Offered by twilightmedia
Price: $7.46
164 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Spark of Dunham, July 6, 2008
I had seen many of Jeff's appearances on TV specials in the past, so I bought both of his DVDs. I wasn't disappointed. I laughed my butt off! If I was a thin-skinned person, I might take offense at some of his jokes, puppet characters, and some of the adult language. But I have heard language like that coming from the mouths of young children! This is adult humor, so don't play it around the kiddies if that is a concern for you. As I write this, there are 632 four and five star reviews, and 25 "pans". 'Nough said.

Jeff Dunham: Arguing with Myself
Jeff Dunham: Arguing with Myself
Offered by The DealNerd
Price: $7.68
204 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Arguing with Dunham, July 6, 2008
I had seen many of Jeff's appearances on TV specials in the past, so I bought both of his DVDs. I wasn't disappointed. I laughed my butt off! If I was a thin-skinned person, I might take offense at some of his jokes, puppet characters, and some of the adult language. But I have heard language like that coming from the mouths of young children! The DVD has a "bleeped" version, but for me, the humor suffers with this editing. This is adult humor, so don't play it around the kiddies if that is a concern for you. As I write this, there are 608 four and five star reviews, and 15 "pans". You do the math.

Page: 1 | 2