Profile for Michael Porter > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 68

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Michael Porter RSS Feed (Coeburn, VA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Audible for Android
Audible for Android
Price: $0.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Audible is great, the app a necessary evil, June 19, 2015
This review is from: Audible for Android (App)
Love Audible.com. The app works great on my iPhone, but is wonky on my Nexus 7. I think it's just a characteristic of Android apps in general. I also use it on my BlackBerry Passport, which uses the Android version. Too bad Audible doesn't use standard mp3 or similar audio format, then we could just use a native player instead of the clunky app.

Science Fiction Theatre
Science Fiction Theatre
DVD ~ Truman Bradley
Price: $31.65
10 used & new from $31.65

5.0 out of 5 stars This was only a story. It never happened., June 19, 2015
This review is from: Science Fiction Theatre (DVD)
On the air 60 years ago, these shows are totally out dated, comically quaint and scientifically naive, but thoroughly enjoyable! Lots of famous character actors grace each episode and you'll be amazed at how optimistic they thought the future would be. Funny how, when watching these shows from my 21 century vantage point, I find myself wishing the world of today was more like the world portrayed in Science Fiction Theatre.

Arrow: Season 3
Arrow: Season 3
DVD
Price: $39.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast-moving Season, April 24, 2015
Some very surprising story twists in this season. I confess the flashback sequences, now off the island and in Hong Kong, really annoy me. I know fans like the back story, and I know this technique for delivering information to the audience is in fashion these days, but it's still annoying. As is Oliver's constant self-loathing. Enough already, Arrow! Man-up and just kick some evil butt! I digress. This show never ceases to deliver 42 minutes of solid entertainment.

Justified Season 6
Justified Season 6
Price: $22.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Series Finale Ever, April 24, 2015
Powerful and touching series finale. This final season was highly entertaining and extremely satisfying (and violent, too!). It's amazing how accurately this show, from beginning to end, portrayed the hard working (sometimes very odd) people of the coal fields in the Appalachian mountains. I live just a few miles away from Harlan County in southwest Virginia, also coal country, and I know people like Boyd and Raylan. Great series. I'll miss it. Lots of profanity this season, by the way. Just a heads up.

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 2
Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 2
Price: $34.99

4.0 out of 5 stars An Improved Show, April 24, 2015
Season One improved drastically towards the end, and Season Two continues that trend. The story line(s) are much more complicated and darker than in the early episodes of the first season. There were some surprising twists and risks taken in this season that some fans may not appreciate. We're a couple of episodes away from the season finale and it's hard to see how some of story threads will resolve themselves.

Blackberry Q10 SQN100-1 16GB 4G LTE Unlocked GSM Dual-Core OS 10 Smartphone - Black
Offered by ShopTronics
Price: $249.99
9 used & new from $129.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, great, great Phone, January 21, 2015
What an awesome phone! My first smartphone was a BlackBerry Curve. That was years ago. Then came the iPhone, which I got because everybody else had one. Yeah, it was cool. I've used various iPhones for so long, I thought BlackBerry had gone out of business. By chance I stumbled across the Q10. For a couple of hundred bucks I took a chance, and I'm glad I did. I got it home, opened it up and right away noticed the quality build. This thing just felt solid; felt good in my hand. I popped my ATT sim card in and within a couple seconds, the Q10 sprang to life.

There's nothing about this phone I don't like. Mind you, I don't surf the 'net on my phone nor do I play games on it, so the smaller screen is irrelevant. For texting, the Q10 can't be beat. With its real, gen-U-ine keyboard, typos are nearly a thing of the past. The Hub is nice, too. All my notifications (email, Twitter, Facebook, texts, etc.) in one handy place.

But what I really love is that you can expand the storage capabilities via a micro media card, so there's virtually no end to the number of mp3/pictures/video files you can have on your Q10. And with the micro HDMI port, you can watch MKV's or mp4's on your TV! How cool is that?

The operating system runs smooth and fast. The accessories are reasonably priced, including a new battery ($6 bucks!). So, all I can say is, "Goodbye iPhone and iTunes and hello freedom!"

Harry O - The Complete First Season
Harry O - The Complete First Season
DVD ~ David Janssen
Price: $46.29
16 used & new from $38.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy Harry a new car!, January 9, 2015
This was a great TV series. The first half of Harry O, Season One, is near-perfect TV. During the second half, they tinkered with success and the show suffered slightly, but it's still far superior to many TV shows today. Harry O was unique among the many private eye TV shows that flooded the airwaves in the early 1970's. Harry was middle aged, had health problems, his car was always in the shop, his boat had a big hole in it, and he rode the bus everywhere! But Farrah Fawcett was his main squeeze, so how bad could his life be? Plus he lived right on the beach! Man, I'd give real money to have Harry's life! Family-friendly show. Very enjoyable.

Harry O: The Complete Second Season
Harry O: The Complete Second Season
DVD ~ David Janssen
Offered by Fulfillment Express US
Price: $41.22
17 used & new from $41.16

4.0 out of 5 stars Harry's Back Solving Cases, January 9, 2015
Great series that should have lasted much longer. It got cancelled and was replaced by an inferior series, Charlie's Angels. I admit the Angels are easier to look at than rumpled Harry O, but, Harry O's stories are in a whole different league. Anyway, we love this series but knocked a star off because Season Two continues the changes that took place mid-way through the previous season, changing the location and the tone of the show slightly. Still, David Janssen plays Harry consistently, showing why Janssen was one of the busiest actors on TV during the 1970's.. Harry O was a one-of-a-kind private cop and this is a one of a kind TV show.

Bipra 250Gb 250 Gb 2.5 Inch External Hard Drive Portable Usb 2.0 - Black - Ntfs
Bipra 250Gb 250 Gb 2.5 Inch External Hard Drive Portable Usb 2.0 - Black - Ntfs
Offered by Bipra Limited LLC
Price: $36.99
3 used & new from $36.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice black paperweight, December 15, 2014
It's a mystery. I needed a cheap external hdd and this seemed to fit the bill. I plugged it in four different computers and not one of them recognized it. The thing seems to be well made, and a tiny blue light comes on, and it hums, but I'll be darned if I can get any computer see it. There are no manuals, illustrated or otherwise.

If anybody has any advice, please let me know. I'll be happy to give this thing more stars if I can get it work.

Disappointed.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 7, 2015 9:55 PM PDT

Sleepy Hollow Season 2
Sleepy Hollow Season 2
Price: $31.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly Disappointing, October 16, 2014
Watched the first two episodes of the new (at the time of my writing this) season, and I have noticed the episodes aren't up to the quality of those of last season. Don't get me wrong, the second season gets off to a pretty wild start, but the overall tone of the show seems to have been dumbed down. There's a lot of needless exposition, in my opinion, and the new chief of police (surprise, a politically correct one - a minority woman, naturally) is a contrived, poorly conceived and written (I think) character. Maybe I was expecting too much. Still enjoyable; hopefully the writing will improve as the season progresses.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7