Profile for Robert S. Preece > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Robert S. Preece RSS Feed (Dallas, Texas)

Page: 1 | 2
KitchenAid KNS256CDH Spiral Coated Dough Hook - Fits Bowl-Lift models KV25G and KP26M1X
Offered by Seneca-River-Trading
Price: Click here to see our price
15 used & new from $10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars If you have a kitchenaid bowl lift stand mixer with a model number KG25 read this, November 16, 2013
What's in a model number, it turns out quite a bit. I ordered this spiral dough hook model "KNS256CDH". I discovered that the "6" in the model number does make a difference as this hook is specifically designed only for certain Kitchenaid wide bowl models (KP26M, KV25, KJ26, and KB26 ) with the bowl lift feature. It is important to note that Kitchenaid also makes another spiral dough hook model "KNS25CDH" (not offered on Amazon) that is specifically manufactured for Kitchenaid "Professional HD" models with the bowl lift feature, models beginning with KG25, and including the Professional HD model I purchased from Costco a few years ago.

Comparing the two hooks it appears that this model available on Amazon is slightly larger than the KNS25CDH hook and therefore if it is used on the narrow bowl models (it will fit) however the clearances are smaller and thus I assume the technical strain on the motor is slightly higher. That is the bad news.

The good news is that this spiral dough hook WILL work with narrow 5Q bowl models in the sense that it does "fit" and will not strike the bowl. Some reviewers appear to indicate that it actually does a more efficient job of kneading the dough. Others have indicated that they have successfully used this hook with KSM5 and other older models. This spiral hook model does contain a warning not to use the hook at speeds other than "2". I assume this will help address the motor burn out discussed in other reviews.

If there is a lesson it is that even though my Kitchenaid bowl lift stand mixer model KG25 came with a spiral dough hook this is not the EXACT spiral hook model originally provided by Kitchenaid with my unit. This hook is extremely well made, fits my stand mixer and does knead the small amount of dough I typically make very efficiently. It also is coated in what appears to be white epoxy paint and not the burnished aluminum so many have found deficient. Nevertheless for my Kitchenaid "Professional HD" model KG25, I plan to order the KNS25CDH spiral dough hook from another vendor.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 28, 2015 11:17 AM PDT

Muzzled: The Assault on Honest Debate
Muzzled: The Assault on Honest Debate
by Juan Williams
133 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Food for Thought, July 28, 2011
I urge my fellow Conservatives to read this book. At times painfully accurate and at other times woefully deficient in capturing the more nuanced arguments of conservatives on many of the important issues of our day, it is nevertheless an important call for greater civility in the political dialogue of our time.

In Muzzled, Juan Williams has laid down the gauntlet and challenged all of us in the political class to refrain from name-calling and the simple-minded use of slogans, pejorative and "politically correct" speech as an excuse for genuine argument. The book is not free of Juan's political bias and at times I found myself biting my lip. At other times I found myself genuinely challenged by Juan's argument and his carefully researched historic background on issues such as abortion, taxes, the 1st and 2nd amendments, health care etc. I found the chapter on Juan's NPR experience to be enlightening and even entertaining but you should not view this book as a simple gotcha against NPR but a clarion call for civility in public debate. While history is against us, I would hope we can all begin a process of talking to each other rather than past each other with a dialogue absent the cheap and lazy name calling, slogan generating hate speech that unfortunately seems to dominate far too much of today's political exchanges. Juan has taken an important step in urging us to move in that direction. Truthfully I am not hopeful because as Juan explains and I agree, only the most controversial comments get the ink, the ratings, the campaign contributions etc. My personal favorite quote from the book cites Daniel Patrick Moynihan "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion but not his own facts."
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 1, 2011 4:48 AM PDT

The Line
The Line
DVD ~ Andy Garcia
Offered by PRIME MERCHANTS
Price: $3.99
123 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Rent a Steady Cam, November 29, 2009
This review is from: The Line (DVD)
Great Cast. Bad Script. In a nutshell, this is a movie about a cross border drug smuggling operation and the conflict created by "crossing the line" from ordinary drug running to dealing with Afghans intent it appears on terrorism rather than the smuggling of a few pounds of cocaine. When the line is crossed, the big bad United States Government steps in and the violence begins.

I rarely give bad reviews, but this one deserves a bad review on so many levels. What in the world were Ray Liotta and Andy Garcia thinking when they signed up for this boring, confusing, pointless attempt at cinema. I just hope that Liotta and Garcia didn't take a percentage contract on this direct to dvd dud. Then there is the movie quality itself. Note to James Cotton, rent a Steadycam. I found myself overwhelmed with motion sickness as a shaking camera is substituted for action and tension. Are we to believe that a shaking camera and over the shoulder framing puts us closer to the action. Oh I forgot there wasn't much action unless you like people being brutally beaten, shot, or sawed into pieces. Save your time, and don't cross the line to get this one.

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade Family Pack (3-User) [Old Version]
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade Family Pack (3-User) [Old Version]
Offered by SoftwareCW
Price: $421.00
9 used & new from $249.99

5.0 out of 5 stars XP Media Edition to Windows 7 without a clean install, November 5, 2009
I have just completed updating to Windows 7 three computers in my home network. Unlike Vista SP1, Windows 7 is an excellent program with some cool features and a very clean interface.

The upgrade took some time but during this process I discovered that there actually are at least three options for upgrade. One computer was running Windows Vista Home Premium. The upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium was simple and painless. Install the upgrade disc and follow directions being certain not to select the "Custom" upgrade option. Relatively quick and no problem with product keys or registration (using the Windows 7 Home Premium family pack).

My second upgrade was from XP Pro SP3 to Windows 7 Professional. It appears that the only real option for this upgrade is a "Clean Install". I did a clean install using Windows Easy Transfer. The good news/bad news is of course that the clean install means that it is necessary for you to reinstall all of your non OS programs when the install is complete. Easy Transfer however, did preserve my settings and files without a problem.

For the most part the upgrade from XP Pro SP3 to Windows 7 process has been successful, it did however take a lot of time. Reloading your programs is basically a real pain. In some instances programs were not on CD/DVD but rather were downloaded from vendor sites. Again, that has not been a problem as long as you can remember your account information. All in all a moderately painful process. Plan on a whole day for the upgrade, but in my opinion the end result is well worth the effort. Cleaner interface, faster processing and a few new cool features.

"XP to Windows 7 without a Clean Install"

While Microsoft advises that a clean install is necessary for an upgrade from Windows XP, there is an alternative approach. If you have Windows XP SP2 Home Edition, or Windows XP Media Edition you can move from XP to Windows 7 without a clean install. Let me explain.

This upgrade applied to my one computer using XP Media Edition. I had previously purchased the Windows Vista Home Premium upgrade and decided to try to avoid a clean install by upgrading from XP Media Edition to Windows 7 in two steps. First I would upgrade XP Media Edition to Vista Home Premium using the Vista Home Premiium Upgrade disc and selecting the Upgrade option rather than Custom Install" option. Step 1.

So after confirming that my Media Edition computer could handle the Vista Home Premium upgrade, I inserted the Vista Home Premium upgrade disc and started the upgrade from XP Media Edition to Vista Home Premium. I decided not to enter the product key at the beginning of the process and allowed the computer to go through its regular upgrade routine. The upgrade completed on its own in about two hours. At that point I had upgraded from XP Media to Vista and all programs, files and settings were preserved. Remember, I did not enter the product code during the upgrade process. It turns out that you have 30 days to activate Vista before Microsoft goes crazy, but in this instance, as this was essentially a pass through upgrade, I just ignored activation.

Now comes the tricky part, before upgrading to Windows 7, the Windows 7 upgrade program strongly recommends a complete an update of Vista SP1. So I used the Vista SP1 update and low and behold had 69 updates to install. That took about three hours using a DSL line. Once that upgrade process was completed, I then inserted the Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade (I actually purchased a family pack of 3 licenses) and after starting the process left the computer to do its thing. After a few hours Windows 7 was ready for final configuration and thus I had succesfuly completed an upgrade from XP Media Edition to Windows 7 without a "Clean Install". All programs and all settings were preserved and the resulting improvements in look, feel and performance were noticeable.

As with any change in the OS there are a few kinks, but if you have any computer ability at all you should be able to work through those issues. The bottom line is that there is an alternative to a Clean install from Windows XP Media Edition to Windows 7 Home Premiium, but only if you have access to a Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade disc and a little patience.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 29, 2009 9:52 AM PST

Actiontec GT701D Ethernet DSL Modem with Routing Capabilities
Actiontec GT701D Ethernet DSL Modem with Routing Capabilities
21 used & new from $12.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Replacement for ATT Motorola 2210, October 3, 2009
I purchased this unit to replace a Motorola 2210 that after 13 months died of heat exhaustion. The 2210 ran HOT HOT HOT. I was told by an ATT Tech that the unit might last a year, and of course 13 months out, one month after the warranty expired the 2210 died. My replacement setup tied this Actiontec unit to a D-Link DIR 655 Extreme N Wireless Router. When I attempted an automatic setup, it turned out that both the Actiontec and the D-Link Wireless Router shared an IDENTICAL IP Network Address at 168.192.0.1. This is not a good thing. However after a quick call to Actiontec Customer Support on a Friday Night (I really do have a life:) along with a brief description of the conflict issue, I was able (using advance settings) to modify the Network IP Address on the Actiontec unit, resolve the conflict and get the unit up and running. This unit is virtually identical to the Motorola 2210 in terms of connections and for anyone replacing a burned out 2210 Motorola (piece of junk) this is the unit for you. The unit is about the same size and runs noticeably cooler than the 2210. From other reviews of this and a related Actiontec unit it appears and so far I can confirm that this Actiontec unit is very effective in holding and processing the DSL signal. The slightly more expensive Actiontec USB & Ethernet DSL Modem has an on off switch a USB port and can handle two computers on a wired network basis without an additional network adapter, but is also an older unit that must be upgraded to ADSL 2/2+, whereas this GT701D unit has ADSL 2/2+ protocol built in. This is a great unit for the money if you require a simple stand alone DSL modem.
Comment Comments (18) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 2, 2014 2:45 PM PST

Channel Master CM-4221HD HDTV UHF Antenna
Channel Master CM-4221HD HDTV UHF Antenna
Price: $59.99
18 used & new from $59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to the Digital Age, June 14, 2009
Note: The unit shown in the picture here on Amazon is not the latest version of this antenna from Channel Master. You can view information on the most updated version of this antenna at [...]. This review covers the improved and updated antenna. This new antenna appears to be a significant upgrade from the former unit which I believe is the subject of some of the earlier reviews. You should check with Amazon to be certain they are providing you with the latest version of this antenna, the one without the mesh screen shown in the picture.

With the demise of analog broadcasting on Friday June 12 the need for my huge traditional VHF antenna (a now discontinued CM 3019 at 133" in length) vanished like the analog signals over Dallas, Texas. I am 29 miles from the array of broadcast towers in Dallas and this tiny light weight antenna coupled with a 10db amplifier brings in all available local digital channels without a problem. Because of the small size of the antenna I was able to mount the antenna next to my DirecTV antenna on a corner of my home using only a Channel Master wall mount along with 8 feet of light weight aluminum 1 1/2 inch tubing. Previously I had a chimney mounted Channel Master 3019 traditional VHF/UHF mid range antenna with a preamp and powered amplifier which was very large and yet failed to get certain over the air Dallas digital channels (11-1 and 13-1). In addition this large antenna was affected by the winds which are common to our area. The Channel Master 4021hd antenna has such a small footprint that it is basically unaffected by wind, another advantage of the small size. Because of long coaxial runs to several locations in my home I found it necessary to use a simple 10b powered signal amplifier which I attached at the end of a 50 foot RG6 cable run prior to connection with the satellite signal in a duplexer. With this set up I now have a low profile, small light weight antenna that brings in every over the air digital channel in Dallas without any problem whatsoever.

If I have DirecTV why would I want a local over the air antenna? DirecTV only carries the basic local channels whereas with a local over the air antenna I have access to numerous digital subchannels including local weather broadcasts such as 5-2, 8-2 and 8-3 as well as numerous additional local digital broadcast channels not available with either cable or DirecTV. So in my opinion it is worth the small additional cost and hassle of integrating these signals into a DirecTV feed.

Because of difficulties I had experienced in the past with my traditional antenna I was very concerned that this tiny antenna wouldn't do the job. I was wrong about that. This little puppy barks like a big dog! Yes sometimes big surprises come in small packages. So it is with the Channel Master 4221HD. With this antenna you will not miss the ghosts of analog past.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Mini Chopper Very Bad Instructions, March 26, 2009
This review applies to the White version of this unit, however except for color there are no other differences.

Expectation management is important when dealing with these mini-choppers. I have a Vidalia Chop Wizard which is perfect for large amounts of various vegetables, onions, etc. If you only need a small amount this food chopper is both convenient and useful. However you must limit the size of the food you are chopping to perhaps a one to one and one half inches in length and probably no more than about 3/4 of an inch in height. You must also pound the unit with some force to get it to really work effectively. I have carefully watched the Slap Chop infomercial ($27.95 with shipping and handling and an additional $7.95 S&H for the "Graty") and with camera angles that commercial creates a bit of a false sense of just what these products can and can't do. Several people have commented on how difficult this unit is to clean. The cleaning instructions on the box say "Remove container ring and carefully wash with soap and water." This has to be the most misleading and dumb instruction ever! The unit easily disassembles however the instructions on the box offer no assistance whatsoever.

What you need to do is first separate the food container from the unit by twisting the clear plastic container counterclockwise about one inch then pull down. This separates the food container from the cutting unit. Next depress the plunger approximately 3/4 of the way and then twist the sweeper/cover to the right or left pulling down until it separates from the remaining unit. This exposes the blades. You are now fully disassembled and ready to quickly clean and reassemble the unit.

The unit is dishwasher safe (top of DW only). You can use the unit with or without the base however with the base on the unit the food is all captured in the food container rather than on the cutting board.

From my observation this unit appears to be essentially a quality copy of the Pampered Chef chopper at about 1/2 the price. It uses a W wedge blade that rotates and also includes a scraper for the side of the food container unit so that the food doesn't build up on the side. This does not work perfectly but is a nice touch. With a litle practice and with the food size limitation mentioned above you can quickly learn the various techniques required for each of the foods you wish to chop. With a little more practice and some good camera angels who knows, you might end up doing a "Slap Chop" commercial for your friends only with a unit that costs less and works just as well. Just don't throw it over your back into the sink.

To recap, this is a very good mini chopper so long as your expectations are in line with the product's capabilities. However, KitchenAid needs to do better with their disassembly/cleaning instructions.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 12, 2009 8:21 AM PDT

KitchenAid Food Chopper - White
KitchenAid Food Chopper - White

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Chopper Very Bad Directions, March 26, 2009
This review is from: KitchenAid Food Chopper - White

Comment Comments (14) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 3, 2015 2:28 PM PDT

Kodak Z1085 10.0MP Digital Camera (Black)
Kodak Z1085 10.0MP Digital Camera (Black)
8 used & new from $46.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for HD Video, December 15, 2008
I bought this camera primarily for it's high definition 720p video capabilities. The camera was on sale at Office Max for $99.00 and at that price the camera is worth it even if you just want to take casual video and you are not happy with your cell phone. I began the process quite naïve about digital camera video so it may be helpful to share what little I have learned having played with this camera and its video and comparing it to two earlier models, a Kodak Easy Share C713 and a Nikon CoolPix 4600.

The video is recorded to your SD card, and the video takes a lot of memory, particularly HD video. This camera will record about 30 minutes of HD video on a 2 GB SD card. While you can use a standard SD card and get acceptable results, playback drags, so I would recommend using a high speed SD card for all of your digital camera video needs.

Let me begin by saying there is a difference in video quality and the 720p does make a difference. The 16:9 aspect ratio makes the video wider and the detail quality somewhat improved from the 640*480 mode which is a 4:3 aspect ratio, though the difference in picture quality is not remarkable. With the 1085 the quality of both the 720p and 640*480 was absolutely acceptable and far better than any analog recording and most older digital cameras with video capability and every cell phone video I have ever seen.

In evaluating video quality in digital cameras, what appears to make a real difference is the frames per second of the video. Both the C713 and the CoolPix 4600 produce video at only 15 fps in the 640*480 mode and the results are blurry and unsatisfactory particularly when viewed in a large screen format. The Kodak 1085 at 30fps makes a very real and very noticeable difference and this fps is available in all video recording modes, which I believe is a real plus. The pictures are far clearer and when projected on to my high definition TV the results resemble regular digital television viewing, clear and enjoyable.

The only significant negative I observed in HD recording mode was serious pixelating in low light that can be quite pronounced. However, if you have decent light you should get satisfactory indoor results even in the HD Mode. I really like the widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio for video, particularly scenic video. Though in lower light there appears to be a loss of detail in some areas of the screen, particularly when shown on a larger screen (I have a 37" LCD with 720p) television.

If you are just taking video of family, friends etc. the 640*480 30 fps mode is very workable and perhaps a little better in lower light situations. The video uses MPEG4 compression which is the latest commonly available compression. The movies are recorded in .mov (quick time) movie mode so interface with windows media player is difficult and would require a conversion.

I think the key to this camera if you are considering it for the 720p feature, is expectation management. You can spend $3000 for a fabulous HD video camera and for 1/30 the price you can get about 1/2 the quality in an extremely portable package. Digital camera video is a bit of a different animal. Usually shot in short episodes it can enhance your photographic memories, and with its extreme portability with this camera you can literally keep a decent quality video camera in your pocket at all times. By comparison to the video currently available on cell phones the difference with this camera is the difference between black and white TV of the 50's and digital television of the 21st century.

On the negative side, interface with your high definition television and this camera requires a Kodak HD docking station that you can get for about 50 bucks. Many other digital cameras have an included av cable (standard definition) that connects your camera directly to the TV. Kodak has one, but they want 25 bucks for the standard video interface cable. The HD interface docking station is OK and works reasonably well, however the docking station will only recognize .mov files so video recorded in other formats can't be played through your SD card and the Kodak docking station, a point that Kodak does not explain in their literature. Also, don't lose your USB connecting cord as Kodak has a proprietary USB connection rather than the standard USB connection and its another 25 bucks if you lose that.

Also, I have a Kodak SV811 digital picture frame which I discovered will not play back HD video recorded on the 1085 camera, as the picture frame is limited to 800*600 pixel recognition. However if you lower your recording on the 1085 to the 640*480 mode the video plays back very clearly. I would say that if you are looking a digital picture frames for the future I would look to one that has HD playback capabilities. So with the pros and cons I would say that as for the video side of the camera, I would have no hesitation recommending this camera as an excellent compromise between features, quality of video and price. At $149.00 it is a value, at $99 it's the bomb!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 16, 2013 3:28 PM PST

Justice for All: Earl Warren and the Nation He Made
Justice for All: Earl Warren and the Nation He Made
by Jim Newton
106 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Man Regardless of Your Politics, February 16, 2008
I grew up in a neighborhood and a time when "Impeach Earl Warren" signs were common. As an engaged teenager I closely followed the changing legal landscape of the late fifties and early sixties as the Warren Court rearranged the legal landscape and with it the social order of our nation in the areas of civil rights, criminal justice, freedom of speech, privacy and the role of religion in public schools. Even today as a practicing attorney I admit to strong philosophical disagreements with some of the Warren Court decisions. Having said that, Jim Newton has produced a masterpiece in his book "Justice for All."

First, this book is a marvelous biography of one of the most notorious men of the 20th century. From humble beginnings in the dusty backwater of a turn of the century Bakersfield, California to Chief Justice of perhaps the most influential court in the world, Earl Warren's story is compelling. In addition you are treated to a wonderful and readable history of California politics in the first half of the 20th Century, a time of unparalleled opportunity, growth and change in the Golden State. That alone is worth the read.

Nevertheless, the real gold nuggets of this book lie in its recounting of the internal politics of decision making within the court, as Chief Justice Earl Warren, guided not so much by legal principle but by what he perceived to be the "right thing to do", rewrote and redefined some of the most important constitutional issues of our time. While such a disclosure, poorly written might leaden the eyelids of all but the most inspired, Newton masters this task by writing a clear and easily understood layman's explanation of the facts, the legal and social issues and the courts resolution. I found myself excited, engaged and highly entertained by Newton's easily understandable prose. I was in a sense a fly on the wall as some of the most important legal decisions of the 20th century unfolded before my eyes.

Warren is not portrayed as a flawless Deity (he after all recommended and supported the forced incarceration of Japanese American's in WW II) but rather as a multi-faceted personality whose core belief was in using the power of government to do good for the common man and whose political and legal judgment evolved to blend with and sometimes challenge the social and legal fabric of our nation.

I was amazed to learn of his post Miranda concern (fueled by a very real and I would say predictable jump in crime in America after Miranda) that perhaps the court had gone too far in defining the relationship between those who would do harm and those who are ultimately charged with our protection. Thus while the basic concept of Miranda is appropriate and now fully integrated into the fabric of our legal system, later Supreme courts thankfully have more clearly defined the boundaries under which we balance the rights of the accused and the right of our citizens to be free from the terror of criminal activity.

OK enough politics, after reading this book, I am wiser, far better informed and far more sympathetic to a man so many have reviled as the father of judicial activism. Such a label in the absence of context does a huge disservice to this huge man and his historical significance. This book provides a context and insight that far surpassed my expectations. Regardless of your politics or your view of judicial activism, this is a truly enlightening book worthy of your time.

Page: 1 | 2