Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM
Profile for J. Aragon > Reviews

Browse

J. Aragon's Profile

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Aragon RSS Feed (Roseville, CA United States)

Page: 1 | 2
Sir Ike "Stylist" Black Bluetooth Wireless Headphones
Sir Ike "Stylist" Black Bluetooth Wireless Headphones

5.0 out of 5 stars Sure Like The Sir Ikes, February 21, 2014
From a size standpoint, they were smaller than expected, almost a feeling of being fragile, but I believe that’s the point; to be small and unobtrusive. After some regular use, they ARE good quality in the way of material and construction. As for comfort, the fit is just snug enough. I’ve been able to bend over so that the Sir Ikes are parallel to the ground and they don’t slip. I am among those that have had ear pain from other headphones, however the Sir Ikes have only given me slight pain during a few instances out of 20 to 25 uses. It seems like the pain is not due so much to the Sir Ikes themselves, but the positioning of them. A small adjustment on the ears and the pain subsides. The pads did get a little warm, but nothing distracting, and is expected anyway, unless using earbuds. The controls were not confusing. Simply find the subtle depression in the middle. This is the play/pause button. When you feel it, you know the volume is above it and the buttons for skipping tracks is below. Pairing was easy, as well. When pairing with my iPhone 5 or MacBook you just hold down the power button (play/pause button) and hold it down until the led lights start flashing rapidly like police lights. Then simply tell the other device to connect/pair with them. Sometimes I got a little confused by this quick procedure, but was most likely due to my own lack of brain power at the moment.
Charging the battery is fine. Although, I've had a few instances that shook my faith for a moment. After a full charge, I use the Sir Ikes for about 1 1/2 hours. I plugged in the cord and left it that way all night, the red light shining, indicating that the battery was not fully charged, but in the process of doing so. Waking up the next morning, 7 hours later, the red light was still on. A blue LED indicates a full charge. The battery wasn't fully charged after 7 hours? I unplugged it and plugged back in, came back a half hour later and finally the blue light shown. Just a hiccup, I suppose...? Besides that confusion, there was one other instance where I plugged the cord in to see that no red light came on at all. I unplugged then plugged again. This time it was on. The LEDs are not discernible from all angles, and perhaps I wasn't at the right angle to see it the first time. Nevertheless, this has only happened once. Maybe sometimes we see ghosts only because we're expecting them. Especially when dealing with technology and spending our hard earned money.
The sound is solid. With my iTunes equalizer set to “rock”, the base only distorted when at it’s deepest. The highs, such as high hat and beeps and clicks, were distinct and always present. You can hear all instruments clearly and maybe a few effects in a few songs you didn’t notice before. Being that these phones were created by a professional DJ, it makes sense that the best music to play with the Sir Ikes are remixes and anything “dance” oriented. I will say, though, that the midrange seems just a little muffled. Perhaps the reviewer who stated that the sound was just okay should look into getting the over ear pro version. These are, after all, an on the ear version and can only accomplish so much in the way of sound. The audio cut out (very slightly) on occasion. Although, I did notice that this only occurred when using my iPhone 5 and keeping it in my pocket. So, this may not be an issue with the Sir Ikes, but an issue with the positioning of the phone, perhaps due to physical obstacles, such as your own body. Whenever using my laptop, or setting my phone on a surface, the audio cutting out never happened. And range was as stated in the description. With my phone or laptop on a table sound began to cut out after walking away 30 feet or so.
I contemplated giving these Sir Ike Stylists only 4 stars because, after sending a message to Sir Ike from their website, telling them how much I enjoy their product and wanting to know what they suggest to take care of the ear pads, they never replied back. Despite this disappointment in their customer service, this review is about the product, which hasn’t disappointed much at all.
I researched and stressed over several other headphones and somehow just stumbled on the Sir Ikes and never looked back. Almost having purchased a different brand for twice the price, I can’t see how that pair could have offered better sound quality. For the price, I highly recommend the the Sir Ike Stylist.

My Soul (Kol Haneshama)
My Soul (Kol Haneshama)
3 used & new from $22.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A Haunting Detour, August 21, 2010
This review is from: My Soul (Kol Haneshama) (Audio CD)
Kol Haneshama (The Whole Soul) is almost one long dissonant chord. Understated. It is a subtly haunting and lovely album. Often times elegant and worrisome with a view of the Mediterranean. The album sails forth with the first song, Le'orech Hayam (Along The Length Of The Sea). It's a cold wind. It's a ship leaving shore, heading out on an ominous journey. A foreboding acoustic guitar hits the first few notes. And Ofra's voice is that wind put into melody, singing a goodbye and good luck to that ship, however somber she may sound. Backed by floating strings and and an uncertain and sad piano, it's a stirring song. Not to much, not too little. Just enough. Le'orech Hayam is one of my favorites of The Whole Soul.
If Le'Orech Hayam is the start of the journey, then the second song, Ruach Ha-Adam (The Spirit Of Man), is the ship at sea, making headway through the waves. The acoustic guitar takes on a more Spanish style. It may be an alluring and more confident song, but the dark clouds that encompassed Le'orech Hayam have not fully desolved. Like a siren, Ofra lures you toward the horizon, especially toward the end of the song.
Despite the fact that Ofra's vocals are not often soaring or striking, her vocals are emotional and heartbreaking and delicately stimulating. In track 4, Kol Haneshama (The Whole Soul), the chorus softens to an ethereal synthesizer. During this point Ofra softly sings out a brief tune that feels like the warm sun enveloping a stretching landscape.
Track 5, Yeled Echad (One Child), sounds like a romantic ballad. Drifting through the grassy fields and the yellow haze of midday, Ofra becomes more childlike and tender. This delicate song would seem too sappy, but the chorus is too dignified and sublime. A lovely song.
The album winds down the way it began. It enters back into a fog of grey and sadness. Track 10, Kol Yom Vekahe'ev Shelo (Every Day And It's Pain), has a slowly cascading chorus that seems to signal the beginning of Track 11, Ben Adam Ba'olam (A Man On This Earth), a song accompanied by the lonesome acoustic guitar. Ofra's voice builds to a forlorned and comfortless climax. And Track 12, Gufcha' Roqed Bahalomi (Your Body Dances In My Dream), seems to imply what I was fearing at the start of the album. This song is like witnessing the manifestations of exquisite ghosts in an old mansion, perhaps foretelling a dark future, one that we will never discover. With the ending of Gufcha' Roqed Bahalomi, we are pushed reluctantly over a cliff into a dark abyss, leaving us disquieted.
Ofra is mysterious and intriguing in The Whole Soul. Her voice is as beautiful as ever and she proves that you don't have to belt out a high note to achieve a strong presence. I suppose this is not an album for everyone. But, if you can tolerate the dissonance, or even love it like I do, you'll know you've stumbled into a wonderful album.

Here is the full list of track names in English:
1. Le'orech Hayam (Along The Length Of The Sea)
2. Ruach Ha-Adam (The Spirit Of Man)
3. Zeh Yavo Pithom (It Will Come Suddenly)
4. Kol Haneshama (The Whole Soul)
5. Yeled Echad (One Child)
6. Milion (A Million)
7. Lyad Be'er Moladeti (By The Well Of My Birthplace)
8. Shehayiti Shelcha' (When I Was Yours)
9. Keshetavu (When You Come)
10. Kol Yom Vekahe'ev Shelo (Every Day And It's Pain)
11. Ben Adam Ba'olam (A Man On This Earth)
12. Gufcha' Roqed Bahalomi (Your Body Dances In My Dream)

Yemenite Songs
Yemenite Songs
Offered by skyvo-direct-usa
Price: $11.61
54 used & new from $4.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Multi-Colored Gem, July 3, 2010
This review is from: Yemenite Songs (Audio CD)
Yemenite Songs may not be for those who wish to live safe within their own personal music preferences. That is no reason to neglect your curiosity. The compositions throughout each song are quite complex and would probably be fully admired only by those who have grown up, or are familiar, with similar music styles. But, once again, that is no reason to pass it by. Yemenite Songs is full of life. It is fresh and interesting. Percussion is an essential part of every song and creates much of the love I have for this album. Ms. Haza's voice leads and controls each song with ease. A voice that was beyond it's years. Because of the complexities of each song, it's difficult to give specific comments on each song. This is an album that I will have to listen to many times to grasp. It is beautiful and a multi-colored gem. Listen for the soaring vocal on A'Salk. Clouds break and the blue sky and sun appear when Ofra hits that note at 1 minute and 25 seconds. An overlooked and pure voice indeed.

Ambient 2:Plateaux Of Mirror
Ambient 2:Plateaux Of Mirror
Price: $10.99
53 used & new from $6.36

5.0 out of 5 stars Unlike Anything, November 10, 2008
What incredible work. This album could almost be described as some sort of "spa music". But, it goes well beyond that. Such a simple piece like Steal Away draws such quiet emotion and imagination from within. It's difficult to listen and not feel anything.
The title track The Plateaux of Mirror has such a warm and dream-like vibe. Picture the most lovely, comfortable spring day out in a field of grass, lightly fluttering insects and the slight shimmering of heat. The field bathed in a yellow/orange color.
Each track paints an accurate portrait of it's title. An Arc of Doves gives a truly soft and soaring feeling of a flock of doves in flight. Wind in the Lonely Fences gives a desolate, lost and haunted feeling. It's something from a fantasy. Very unusual.
Fully creative and original. This is "contemplation" music. Background music. But, it is too outstanding to be left in the background. You'll find your original task at hand becoming second priority as you listen.

Valeo Ocelot Wrist Wrap Lifting Gloves
Valeo Ocelot Wrist Wrap Lifting Gloves
Price: $12.34 - $45.60

2.0 out of 5 stars Not The Same, December 30, 2007
It has been 2 1/2 years that I've owned my first pair of Ocelot gloves. They've finally served their purpose. The sporting goods store that I purchased my first pair from no longer exists. Nobody had them and so I decided to buy another brand. And it was a terrible choice and a terrible waste of money! Without going into specifics, the new pair of Harbinger gloves made me realize how GREAT the Ocelot gloves really are! Not only did the Harbinger gloves hurt my hand (it was the right size) but I might as well not have worn gloves at all. The Harbinger gloves made me wonder if the designers knew anything about the human hand at all.
The description of these gloves here on Amazon, and the descriptioins by the reviewers are completely correct. The palm is FULLY padded, no blisters. This glove doesn't restrict hand movement in anyway, while giving them, and the wrist, a great amount of stability. It has complete comfort. And I think they look great, although that is a decision for each individual buyer to make. I have absolutely no complaints about this product. It was the most expensive glove at the sporting goods store, but what does it matter when they last for over two years?

UPDATE: (January, 2014)
Unfortunately, just like the reviewer Anthony Holmes, I have to change my recommendation of Ocelot gloves. Since leaving my first review, this particular line of gloves has changed, material wise, and not for the better. The past 3 pairs of gloves have quickly fallen apart in the stitching. I don't mind doing a little sewing (despite how poor I am at it), but when you're having to repair something here and something there once a week... it's a different story. The newest pair of gloves I've purchased started out GREAT. They fit PERFECTLY, like they were made specifically for me. You might go to a sporting goods store and feel the same when you try on a pair of these gloves, but take your next step carefully. Within the first three weeks of owning my newest pair, the left glove began splitting apart; the leather strip that's located between the base of the thumb and back of the hand. I noticed that the "leather" here was EASILY tearable, I could rip a piece off (very gently, mind you) and then tear that piece in half just as easily. I don't know whether to call it a "bad batch" or something else. It just isn't what you'd want to see from a weight lifting glove, or ANY glove, for that matter. And now, the right glove has completely split, just above the wrist wrap, all along the wrist. Upon inspecting the "leather" that's stitched together with the wrist wrap, it looks like old rubber that's been exposed to the elements for several years; dried, cracked and just as easily tearable as the left glove's issue.
I'm sorry to leave a bad review, but even with the good price and perfect fit, the flaws are just too much to deal with.

Resident Evil 4 - PlayStation 2
Resident Evil 4 - PlayStation 2
Offered by Shopville USA
Price: $12.70
239 used & new from $4.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Survival To An Extreme, February 18, 2006
Honestly, before I purchased Resident Evil 4 I did not expect much. I was not interested in going to Spain... and mutated peasant villagers, now? I was not too thrilled. But, I missed the old Resident Evil games. I wanted to play a new survival game, considering "Resident Evil: Outbreak", for some reason, just didn't do it for me.

Well, I think you will be surprised. This time you are not faced with making your way out of a horrendous mess, but making your way in. Never have I been faced with such an "ammo crisis". Throughout the entire game it was my top priority to conserve ammo. Whether you like the idea of that or not, is up to you. But, it was always a looming factor in the game. It will make you very sharp with your decision making and force you to virtually plan your entanglements against your enemies. More specifically I was coming to the point of determining quickly "I'll shoot him in the leg so he'll drop. That will give me time to finish off the wounded one. The I'll switch from my handgun to my shotgun and hit the remaining one in the head while he's still on the ground." It may sound a little humorous, but that was my situation. It was all about conserving. I loved that about the game. It added to the factor of survival. And MOST DEFINITELY it left me feeling like I ACCOMPLISHED something.

Perhaps the other reviewers can agree that there were several times where Mr. Kennedy is faced with an all out frenzy of action. There is a scene of which Leon is ambushed with 10, 20 enemy and we have no choice but to face the onslaught head on. Actually, it seems like there were many times when this happened. More specifically, I recall the battle while riding in a train of mine cars. This was such a great feature of the game. As this "frenzy" occurs I'm thinking "How am I going to make it out of this alive... I barely have any ammo and they're all over me?!" and when I survived I thought "How did I make it out of that mess alive?" But, you find a way. You get thrown into a deep, dark hole in this game many times, but you find a way out. It's amazing. In these certain times the enemy, multiple enemy, will have surrounded you and several of them will be literally three feet away from you. And because of this every single blast from your firearm will be SO satisfying. And that is such a vital point in survival. If you have enough ammunition that you waste it, that's not a challenge. If you are not feeling that state of utter urgency, then that's also not a challenge. It defeats the purpose of "survival".

Well, I suppose I could mention the movie cut scenes and the graphics and the laser targeting and all that. It has already been mentioned. I felt they were outstanding. And it was fun to "interact" during the cut scenes.

The negative points I would have to make are these: The games length, well.... it was both a blessing and a curse. RE 4 is a long game. It will give you your money's worth, but it eventually drags on. Facing the same boss several times was negative, to me, because the first time you face the boss, it's suspenseful and scary. The second time you face the boss, it's already lost it's charm. Such as the blind prisoner with the claws, (or should I say "Wolverine"?) The first face-off with him is very intimidating. But, when you face him again, and again... it takes the interest out of the game. Although it is a minor detail, it would have been more interesting (and realistic) if the enemies would lose their legs or arms. It is possible for the enemy to lose their head with certain firearms, (even the weaker handguns, if aimed correctly) but limbs are never lost. Maybe they could pick up the lost limb and hurl it at you. And one last thing to add to the negatives... the dialogue... ohhh, it's terrible! Every response Leon makes to the bad guy is an immature taunt. Okay, I understand that he is cocky and strong-willed, but the dialogue was something I scoffed at throughout the entire game.

Despite the negatives, I set a routine with this game and played it constantly around the same time every night. That is a sure sign that I liked the game, and that it has grabbed a hold of me. I would also like to mention that I purchased "Brothers In Arms: Earned in Blood" around the same time. I gave up BIA to play RE 4. And when I resumed playing BIA after I finsihed RE 4, I was utterly turned off by BIA. It was horrible compared to RE 4. The graphics, the gameplay.... I was raised to a higher standard with RE 4 and I could not view BIA the same way again. I guess that goes to show the impression RE 4 left.

Resident Evil: Outbreak - PlayStation 2
Resident Evil: Outbreak - PlayStation 2
Offered by JADD ENTERTAINMENT
Price: $15.52
114 used & new from $3.98

2.0 out of 5 stars It sits on the shelf....., June 4, 2005
Never thought I would feel this way about a Resident Evil game, but I'm disappointed with what Outbreak had to offer. How I yearn for the days of RE 2 and 3! Come back Jill! There are a few good points that come to mind with RE Outbreak. I can tell you that I really enjoyed the aspect of playing as relatively "average" characters and not someone with tactical combat experience. It makes you consider what a real human would do in such a situation, despite how ridiculous it may seem. Perhaps we may never fall victim to a zombie infestation, but making our way through the game as an everyday person gives us something to easily relate to.

Overall I have been plagued with the saddeness that this game does not feature a single, long story line that follows all of the characters. Maybe we could have followed four of the characters in the first chapter, then one of the characters decides to split up, meeting up with another character. From there, we could help these two characters survive through a short ordeal until they meet up with two of the other characters... something like that. But this doesn't happen! Instead, there is a choice of several scenarios, of which there seems to be no connection between one or the other. They all stand alone and obviously support the online concept, but does nothing for the single player, offline, who would rather just have a good, solid storyline that takes us through the lives of these "average" citizens as they make their way out of Racoon City.

Loved the idea of playing the part of a soft- spoken student or an unconfident subway worker. Hated the absence of a good, solid storyline. We don't get the feeling of "My name is 'so and so' and this is my story". Instead we get "what if this happened?", "what if that happened?". Breath life into these characters!

Purchase it for the online/multiplayer function. But as for single player... it just isn't satisfying.

In Through the Out Door
In Through the Out Door
Offered by MEGA Media
Price: $19.66
110 used & new from $1.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Led Zeppelin 8(In Through The Out Door)-An Outsider's Review, January 14, 2004
This review is from: In Through the Out Door (Audio CD)
The last of their albums... I had a little difficulty deciding on my rating, but I'll give it one extra star for the all out creativity. They just tried something very different, and that seemed to divide their fans in half on this one. I enjoyed it. I knew what to expect from some of it, implying Fool In The Rain and All My Love, both of which I've heard so many times on classic rock stations. They were my determined incentive. Although both were quite different from earlier Led Zeppelin, I had no hesitation in liking them. They fell right into place with the rest of them, and I never thought any descrimination for them. I don't have any problem with Led Zeppelin's wanting for change. If I were there with Mr. Bonham, Jones, Page, and Plant, I would have encouraged it.
It's been such a pleasure reviewing their albums. I would just like to see other music fans stop degrading Led Zeppelin simply because they have a chip on their shoulder, or because they hear them too much on the radio. Stop and listen, without placing your emotions and personal inhibitions first.

Presence
Presence
128 used & new from $0.92

4.0 out of 5 stars Led Zeppelin 7 (Presence)- An Outsider's Review, January 14, 2004
This review is from: Presence (Audio CD)
I did like this album, considering my 4 star rating, but it's the first album of theirs I would risk calling "disappointing", ONLY compared to all of the six albums they put out beforehand.
It felt like I'd already heard most of these songs, and that they were below par, but only below Led Zeppelin's par... that's still quite a long climb to get to that height. What I can say most definitely about Presence is that, and I say this somewhat stunned, is that I can't remember how most of the songs go, except for the first song, Achilles Last Stand. I can see why some have praised Nobody's Fault But Mine, but I felt it didn't stand up with the best of their music.
Still, quite a good album, despite the pressures the four of them were placed under during the making of this album. It was recorded under much haste, Robert Plant was recovering from physical injuries, and forgive me if I'm wrong, but I also think his son passed away not much earlier. It was hard for me to see any significance of this album because of the gigantic effort they displayed those few and brief years before, but if I compared it to anything else modern, it's significance would grow.

Physical Graffiti
Physical Graffiti
Offered by megahitrecords
Price: $17.99
93 used & new from $1.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Led Zeppelin 6 (Physical Graffiti)- An Outsider's Review, January 14, 2004
This review is from: Physical Graffiti (Audio CD)
I gave Physical Graffiti the full, highest rating because of the first disk alone. It's just as solid, just as professional as the first five albums. I don't know if non-Zeppelin fans would really appreciate In My Time Of Dying, but that song was worth it alone. But to get five additional songs with it, and all of them very enjoyable, it's almost too much. Kashmir... what can I say that hasn't already been said?
That disk was so good, in my eyes, but I would have been fine without the second disk. I do have a handful of songs on the second one that I feel are worth listening to, but I also wouldn't have lost any sleep if I'd never heard them. But, to point out my "likes", it would include the first four. I haven't read too many good things about In The Light, but I'll put my money on it.
This album, compared to the first five, feels more raw and loose. Maybe that's because of the blending of songs on that second disk, ranging from 1969 to '75 when LZ #6 was released. Since these were all songs that didn't make the first cut on those previous albums, it was obvious why, but as I've read before, their worst was even better than the best music put out today. I'll definitely agree with that. And this isn't even their worst.
In My Time Of Dying... play it for anyone who is skeptical of Led Zeppelin, and let them listen to the half way point of that song when the foursome kick it up a couple of gears. They proved who they were, and that they were still the best.

Page: 1 | 2