Truck Month Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS
Profile for Josh > Reviews

Browse

Josh's Profile

Customer Reviews: 43

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Josh RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Mudder Soil Moisture Sensor Meter - Soil Water Monitor, Hydrometer for Gardening, Farming
Offered by MudderOnline
Price: $7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good meter to help me not overwater, September 30, 2015
I'm pretty pleased with the product overall. My first meter came broken, and stayed on Dry no matter what I put it in. I contacted Mudder through Amazon's site, and they walked me through troubleshooting steps, which I had obviously done already. They offered to send me a replacement, and in 3 days, I had a new one waiting for me in my mailbox.

The second meter has been working fairly well as I can tell. I'm not sure if its standards for "Moist" is the same as mine, because a lot of things read high-moist to wet, that I consider slightly damp at most. It might just be that my perception of wet is just plain wrong though, because I always overwater plants and kill them. Hopefully, this device IS right, and it will train me out of the habit of overwatering.

Overall, it gets a star off for having to start off with a defective unit, but the working unit does what it's supposed to. Very pleased with Mudder for being so responsive and helpful.

Akro-Mils Infinity Planter with Attached Saucer, 24-Inch, Clay
Akro-Mils Infinity Planter with Attached Saucer, 24-Inch, Clay

2.0 out of 5 stars it looks like. However, September 30, 2015
Cheap, big pot. Really big. I didn't realize how big 24" was. I was simply wanting a big pot to put my new indoor bamboo (Phyllostachys aurea) in. Well, it sure is big enough to sustain it for a couple years, it looks like.

However, it's cheap. There were 2 major cracks in the sides out of the box. Was going to leak water, so I glued and taped it shut. Wouldn't be happy if I were growing edibles in it, but decorative plants... can probably suffer tape on the pot. Maybe the rhizomes will burst through the tape if I don't divide it soon enough. Who knows, but for $19.99, I probably shouldn't be complaining about cracks.

What killed me though is the built-in saucer. I was washing the pot before filling, so I wanted to clean off the saucer separately to be thorough. Two of the "feet" that hook the saucer to the pot just snapped off, revealing a nice hole on the saucer! Seriously?! Back to the tape and glue... I hope this one doesn't leak all over the carpet. Such bad design -- looking at the remaining feet, it's just asking for them to snap off, the way they're designed.

Again -- cheap $20 pot. Good features, crappy material and design. Maybe I shouldn't complain, and spend more on a better one next time. Well, I'll do that when I divide my bamboo next, I guess.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Green Panda Bamboo - Bamboo - Fargesia rufa - Grow Indoors/Out - 4" Pot
Green Panda Bamboo - Bamboo - Fargesia rufa - Grow Indoors/Out - 4" Pot

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor battered and withered panda, September 30, 2015
-- Updated Review: October 15, 2015 (Updated to 3 stars) --
Two weeks later, I have this repotted in an 8-inch pot, and it has been growing entirely indoors in my office room at home, with 3x diffused 800 lumen lights 2-3' of it for 14 hours a day on a timer. At first, it looked like it was getting ready to die, but with enough water (not too much) and fertilization, it started to really take off. Within the week, I had 11 new shoots popping up. The biggest shoot grew nearly 20mm each day, and is now 201mm tall.

Other culms are also sprouting new branches and leaves, so it's starting to fill in a bit. The original leaves are still as dry and paper-stiff (even in the 50-70% humidity range), but at least they've seem to be providing enough photosynthesis support to get the plant what it needs to produce normal soft foliage on new growth.

I'm amazed that it's doing so well under mediocre lighting conditions. It still does look like a sad plant nonetheless. Hopefully, it keeps filling in and look like a normal bamboo soon.

-- Original Review: September 30, 2015 --
My wife calls me bamboo-crazy. I guess I am. I've been gradually increasing my bamboo collection now that I bought my own house. I had originally wanted a Fargesia robusta for a hedge, but made a last-minute switch to a Phyllostachys aureosulcata -- so I didn't get to enjoy the Fargesia look. My Amazon searches ended up showing me this absolutely "cute" panda -- all at a reasonable price. What's not to like? I immediately hit Buy button, along with a new pot so I could enjoy the greenery in my office.

It shipped Monday evening from Ohio, and it just got here a couple hours ago (11AM on Wednesday). I was thankful that Hirts shipped it Priority Mail 2-Day, so it didn't have to spend much time in the box. We've been ordering up on fall-planting live plants lately, and they've all come nicely packed and healthy, so I was hoping for the same. But what came... let's say... did not meet my expectations.

Fargesia "Rufa" plants are typically very hardy, but what I got was most definitely an "abused" panda. Stuffed in a oblong USPS Priority Mail box to the brim with white packing peanuts, it was definitely not happy. The plant had been "topped" at 14 inches, which meant that about 2 inches of the plant had to be bent over to fit the box. That's kind of expected when shipping bamboos -- except this poor bamboo only had foliage at the top 3 inches, so it was very sorry looking when it first emerged from the box.

As a few other reviewers had noted, mine came with a good couple dozen canes, but only ~10 of them were viable. The others were brown to the core, and had rotten away at the bottom and even pulled out cleanly. What culms were left had brown/dark spots growing on them. I hope that doesn't mean it has some kind of disease. There's about ~2 leaves per culm, albeit yellowing and or browning. They were obviously maintained by general nursery workers that didn't know/care about where on the canes to cut when they were topping off the plants (consequently, it arrived with lots of dead canes above the last viable node below the cut). Lots of TLC was necessary to bring it back up to healthy standards.

Next to my newly planted Phyllostachys aurea, it's a poor battered runt of a panda. My order for its new pot is due to arrive in the next couple hours, so hopefully, it'll perk back up with a proper sized pot, fertilizer, and water.

I'm hesitant to leave a bad review, since I'm fairly certain that it can be nursed back to good health -- at least with great care. But it must have taken a lot of neglect/mishandling to get it to such a state to begin with. Selling such a deteriorated product is borderline unacceptable, in my opinion. Maybe I just got a bad/old one, and others are in much better condition. Either way -- hopefully, my OCD bamboo obsession will see it coming to life shortly. Will update this again if any improvement is to be seen.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Philips BDM4065UC 40" Class 4K Monitor UHD 3840 x2160 Resolution, Speakers, USB Hub, VGA, DisplayPort, Mini DisplayPort, HDMI, MHL-HDMI
Price: $786.99
45 used & new from $786.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat tolerable for productivity. Pretty good for entertainment., August 11, 2015
I came from a triple-head setup with a retina MacBook Pro 15" at the bottom, a 27" WQHD (2560x1440) display above, and a 24" WUXGA (1920x1200) display to the left. As a work-at-home dev-ops guy that does pretty much everything IT-related for my company, I'm tasked with way too much to keep track of, so having screen real estate was a must.

When I saw this monitor, I was very intrigued.
WUXGA @24" = 94 PPI
WQHD @27" = 109 PPI
UHD @40" = 110 PPI
So it's all relatively close as far as PPI goes, right? So take the pixel density of my 27" and the resolution size of my 24"... and nearly QUADRUPLE it. What could go wrong? Well, quite a bit, apparently.

1) Sub-pixel Rendering Gone Wrong
The panel used in this Philips is a semi-rarer type that uses pixels that have their sub-pixel colors BACKWARDS, so it goes Blue->Green->Red, instead of the standard Red->Green->Blue. There are many sites that explain this problem, and you can Wikipedia "Subpixel rendering" to get a good overview of how it works, and what it affects. The end result is, when your OS tries to use anti-aliasing while expecting an RGB panel, you get very ugly text with rainbow-looking edges. My eyes were so sore after working with this monitor (from this, and the other problems combined) that I was sure I was going to have to send this thing back.

However, not everything is lost. In Windows, you can use the ClearType Text Tuner to change your sub-pixel rendering options to an extent, and that greatly helps. Also, by scaling things the system to 125% or 150%, the edge-pixel-to-font-size ratio is significantly lower, yielding in less distortion even without changing ClearType. In OS X, you have to use command-line voodoo to alter a UI setting that Apple recently removed from the System Preferences, and just setting the antialiasing to work using grayscale (not optimum, but in Yosemite, that's as good as you can get).

2) Clarity
Despite having a similar PPI to my WQHD display, the clarity is anything but. There is significant color/light bleed between pixels (you can see "auras" around bright colors-on-white), and often times, dark backgrounds can create horizontal lines that go quite the distance across the screen. Reminds me of really cheap, budget panels used in those sub-$100 tablets, although not that severe. Just bad enough to make my eyes sore to work at native 100% resolution.

At 150%, it's not noticeable anymore, but that simply takes a UHD display down to the effective resolution of WQHD, while giving me somewhat enhanced pixel density, minus some clarity. It's almost a zero-sum game here compared to the WQHD for productivity goes -- except that it leaves no room for my 24" on my desk, so I'm having to go without my 3rd monitor. I'm really having to ask myself if the compromise was worth the price I paid for it.

3) Viewing angles, color/backlight uniformity
Corners are 20-40% darker than the rest of the screen. What the heck. Can hardly read my clock in Windows sometimes. I have to move my head around to get optimum color.

Colors are too blue and bright, and my mid-30's eyes can't take more than 15 minutes of it. Reducing brightness and customizing color to reduce the blue channel a bit have greatly helped with matching my MacBook's white levels.

There are horizontal bands of dark regions that are noticeable on white backgrounds. Kinda expected this, given the panel type and the price bracket, so I can't really fault it, but it's something all prospective buyers should definitely be aware of. When scrolling black text on white background, there is definite ghosting of text that is often noticeable. Annoying, but doesn't really detract from anything... yet...

4) Defects
Mine has 14+ dead/gray pixels. At this pixel density, I figured that's only to be expected... and at 150% + distance, I can't really see them most of the time. But I'd have liked one that was flawless since it IS rather expensive still.
When I wake up my MacBook on Mini-DP, or my desktop gaming computer on DP, it will often briefly start up, show garbled pixels for < 0.5sec, shut off, and repeat the process for 2-6 times before coming back on with a stable image. It happens consistently every time. I wonder if that's a defect, but so far, power-cycling it prevents it from happening, and I'm not sure I've seen it happen on my Xbox One on HDMI either, so that's something I'd have to experiment with to see what causes it.

Overall, my expectations were shattered. In a bad way. My poor eyes just couldn't take it anymore and I was ready to box it up, but running it at 150% scaling, changing my antialias settings, and changing my brightness/color settings improved my experience enough that I've been able to tolerate it for the past 2 months. In retrospect, it would have probably been better to still return it and wait for a better panel to come out, because I'm not able to use it the way I intended it... but I let the return period go by without making a decision, so now I'm stuck with it.

On the bright side, having a 40" UHD screen to play your favorite PC games is an absolute blast. The difference is amazing, whether it's FPS or MMO. I don't notice any ghosting when it's a game, and pixel clarity doesn't matter too much when you're looking at the whole 40". Sadly, a lot of modern games (especially MMOs) have to be set to Low to play smoothly at UHD on my GTX 970. But I kinda knew that, and I could always lower the resolution if I wanted quality... But playing on Low at UHD subjectively looks nicer to me, so I'm still content with it for now.

Hopefully this helps people on the fence about this monitor.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 31, 2015 9:46 AM PDT

Amazon.com Store Card
Amazon.com Store Card

5.0 out of 5 stars 5% cash back is awesome, August 11, 2015
I've been very pleased with the Amazon Store Card, issued by "Synchrony Bank". I didn't know it was GE, but their site clearly says: "On June 2, 2014, GE Capital Retail Bank changed its name to Synchrony Bank," so clearly it's still the same bank. Unlike other reviewers that have had problems, I'm happy to report that I haven't had any of those problems. I've been using their card for a few months now, and have saved $100 using the 5% cash-back feature already. It's great.

My credit line was initially 1/4 of what other lenders give me (even with a FICO score of mid-800's), so I was a tiny bit disappointed. But I generally don't exceed $2k in Amazon purchases within a single calendar month anyways, so that shouldn't really be a problem. However, within 2 months, they increased it by $800 automatically to my surprise. Maybe it'll keep going up?

I have the card auto-pay in full every month, so I do kind of feel bad that they're not ever going to making a cent off me (at least from interest). I hope the 5% cash-back is here to stay, because it's a huge incentive to stay with this card, and Amazon for all purchases. It adds up quick, and combined with the savings from already-cheap Amazon prices, the card is just plain awesome.

Microsoft Surface 3 Tablet (10.8-Inch, 128 GB, Intel Atom, Windows 8.1) - Free Windows 10 Upgrade
21 used & new from $363.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Great device, if you can win the hardware lottery., June 6, 2015
I've gone through 6 different Windows 8 tablets in search for the ideal on-the-go companion for my work as a computer programmer. I wanted to be able to run Windows and programming tools that my iPad can't run. Most of them fail due to cheap faulty hardware and bad specs. The Surface 3 has a size that goes well into a small bag, a great display with high resolution, and enough power to get most things done in a reasonable amount of time. And for goodness sake, finally has 4GB of RAM for some productivity. The majority of other WinTabs come with 2GB of RAM, which simply isn't enough for any multitasking.

The majority of complaints I read about on the Surface 3 can be summarized as:

1) Windows 8
People hate it, but no fault of the Surface. Personally, I don't mind it, and have gotten comfortably used to it. Having tried Windows 10 TP, the future looks great for this device.

2) CPU/eMMC Speed
It's no Core i5/i7 with a M.2 SSD.
- Loading IntelliJ IDEA takes 4x as long to start than on my MacBook Pro.
- Application compiles take 3-10x as long, depending on project size/type.
- Typing in PhpStorm has visible character delay by upwards of 500ms on average.
- Playing Amazon review videos (depends on which) is a slideshow because of codecs lacking hardware acceleration.
- Some web pages with excessive JavaScript can slow down all browsers (IE/Modern IE/Firefox) to an uncomfortable 10-30 sec wait. Tracking Protection Lists in IE don't catch it. Only Firefox with AdBlock makes for acceptable browsing experience on these sites. Other sites only perform respectively on Modern IE.
- Visual Studio is subjectively 2-4x slower.
In summary, there's plenty of shortcomings there, but with the proper expectations, these slow-downs aren't a show-stopper. After all, it's an ultra-portable that fits in a tiny bag. You should know this before going into the purchase. I was plenty satisfied with the performance for the price-point.

3) Hardware/driver issues
Lots of people seem to have hardware and driver issues, as is the norm when it comes to trying to shove bleeding edge hardware into a crammed chassis. Personally, my unit had:
- Bad performance with WiFi until I updated drivers manually from Microsoft's Surface site. I was getting 200KB/s on my 50Mbps line 6ft away from my 802.11ac AP. After the upgrade, I was hitting 59Mbps to the net, and I saw ~13MB/s to the LAN fileserver.
- Losing sound until restart - happened somewhat frequently
- Intermittent loss of Bluetooth devices - Keyboard and mouse, when docked to a monitor, would disconnect intermittently. Simply opening the Bluetooth panel in Control Panel would regain connectivity.
- Loss of touch panel until restart - a pain especially when you don't have the type cover anywhere nearby.
- Graphics driver crash - sometimes would just die while idle, and recover. Never a good sign...
- System crash/freeze - final nail in the coffin. Would just freeze (type cover, bluetooth, USB, power button all stop responding) with no recourse but to force power off. BIOS/UEFI reset, system "reset" (reformat), nothing would help this.

Microsoft Support diagnosed it as a hardware defect and they told me to return it to Amazon. So I did.

In conclusion, this device was fairly decent, "while it worked". I see these 3 words in a lot of other reviews here and otherwise. That does not bode well for the future of this device. I expected better, with this device being priced at a near-premium point. I think I'll hold off on playing the hardware lottery and just wait for more stable hardware in the future. We're still in the infancy of ultra-portable computing, and I expect to see some great things in the future. If the Surface 3 provided this much functionality, I'm very excited for what the Surface Pro 4 and Surface 4 will bring. But for now, I'll just have to settle with my iPad Air 2 and Remote Desktop.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 22, 2015 12:01 PM PDT

Old Shanghai Women's Silk Kimono Short Robe - Handpainted - Cherry Blossom Navy
Old Shanghai Women's Silk Kimono Short Robe - Handpainted - Cherry Blossom Navy
Offered by Old Shanghai Online
Price: $89.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful contemporary kimono, April 8, 2015
The size was a little too wide for my wife (5' 4", 115lbs that wears sizes 3-6). I didn't expect the "Short" version to be so short (in hindsight, I should have spoiled the surprise a little and used a tape measure to measure to see what 37.5" long really meant). I was expecting something a bit more traditional (long), but it essentially looks like a short 1-piece dress.

The "kimono" itself is very nice looking. As few reviewers had mentioned, some of the seams have very slight loose threading or fraying going on, but nothing serious. For the price, this is very beautiful and well-made. My wife loves the texture of it, although the silk sash does tend to come loose very quickly. She has to double-tie the knot, which makes it look a bit silly, so we may look into getting something else as a sash or obi. She liked it a lot, so we also bought her the long version, which she likes even more.

ASUS Transformer Book Chi 10.1-Inch Ultraslim All-Aluminum Detachable Touchscreen 2-in-1, 32 GB Storage (Free Windows 10 Upgrade)
Offered by Computer Upgrade King
Price: $249.99
27 used & new from $177.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Dated, but tolerable tablet, April 4, 2015
I was greatly looking forward to this device since it was announced. I've had many tablets and 2-in-1's before in my quest to find the ultimate carry tablet that I could keep in my man-bag, to remote in to my work computer in case of on-call situations. I'm a work-at-home programmer, so I have a heavy-weight MacBook Pro 15 for work, a MacBook Pro 13 for personal use, and I was looking for a tertiary portable device -- a light-weight, high-resolution, under 11" detachable tablet with a real OS. It looked like it very well could fulfill that role. And it kind of could. But my experience was not very satisfactory.

The Good:
1) Screen Resolution - major plus. Things looked great at 1920x1200. I could fit a lot more on a screen when remoting (VNC/TeamViewer/Splashtop/RDC) than with the old T100TA models with their 1366x768, or the iPad's 4:3.
2) Weight - pretty darn lightweight, even with the keyboard dock. Anything that makes my bag lighter is a plus.
3) Size - the 10" fits well in my bag (which only fits up to 10.7" wide). Bigger bags look silly to use as a go-everywhere bag, so this size was a must.

The Bad:
1) 2GB RAM - This is 2015. "Modern" web pages take up maybe 100-200MB each. Fresh install after removing bloatware boots up with around 800MB free RAM. That's 4 "big" tabs (or 8 medium ones) before you're out of RAM. Add Skype (~100MB), Mail (varies), etc. and it's swapping like crazy. Now this wouldn't be bad with a fast SSD and CPU, perhaps. But the tablet has Bitlocker-equivalent encryption enabled and a 80MB/s eMMC flash storage. Consequently, when this thing swaps, it is slow. I typically average 8-10 open tabs, so this was definitely cramping me.

Can I learn to run with less tabs? Possibly, but that's just plain inconvenient. When price of RAM is as low as it is, and the web's JavaScript hungry big pages of 2015, they should have said no to 2GB RAM. I realize this is an Intel limitation with the Baytrail Atoms though, so that's enough here.

2) Z3775 CPU - Again, this is 2015. Core M is already out. I realize that's what the T300 Chi was about. But that shouldn't mean they have to screw the 10" market! The now-dated Z3775 isn't terrible by any means, but I would have gladly paid for the Core M upgrade that would have allowed 4GB RAM. Z3775 has problems keeping up with Firefox -- it can't be lag free. Even my iPad Air 2 handles rendering and scrolling faster than this (albeit page refreshes for switching tabs). Remoting is much slower, depending on the application. Core M processors perform just fine with both.

I could (and had to) use Internet Explorer, which is sufficiently fast -- but frankly, I don't trust it (hello, Pwn2Own 2015). Firefox lets me use Add-ons like AdBlock and NoScript where necessary, so I can reduce my attack vector significantly. Equivalents for IE are lacking and unstable in my experience. Very disappointing that they chose to go with this. Again, my complaint is that they didn't offer the Core M on the T100 as an option. I'm sure some would rather have a slow experience at the cheaper price point, but it would have been a lot nicer had they given us the choice.

3) Trackpad - I wish WinTab manufacturers would learn a lesson from Apple. I have never known a PC trackpad that I could enjoy. Is it so hard to make "tap-to-click" work everywhere on the trackpad surface? There's only about 1 spot on the trackpad that responded to taps reliably, and anywhere else was 50% success. It took a meticulously planned forced tap to make it register anywhere else, and even then, it was 80% at best. It becomes easier just to use the buttons, but even those are iffy depending on where you push down. Could I live with it? Probably. Just a major annoyance -- one when combined with swapping from running out of RAM, you never know if you actually clicked it and are waiting for the slow CPU+eMMC to "page in" swapped contents, or if the trackpad simply ignored your tap.

Annoyances:
1) IPS screen was good for the most part with good viewing angles for color, but it became visibly grainy when held even slightly degrees off-center.
2) Sound was flat with no bass. iPad Air 2 greatly outperforms these sorry tiny tablet speakers, as is the norm. They sure announced and advertised it as something being better, so I was kind of hoping for better. No biggie with decent headphones, but still disappointing.
3) Keyboard QC - mine had a couple keys ("2" and Enter key) that had a faulty scissor, and would occasionally miss the stroke. Drove me nuts, but that's just my unit.
4) Hardware QC - mine started having daily BSOD's even after clean OS refresh + no 3rd party anything. Minidump indicates something in the core OS triggered it. Most likely RAM issues. Back in the box it goes.
5) Bluetooth keyboard dock without USB3 - had to buy a mini-USB3 adapter for USB HDD. Can't leave the dock plugged in on the desk and let it charge my tablet when docked, like Samsung 2-in-1's. Worst of all, keyboard goes to sleep fairly quickly, and I have to wait for it to wake up before being able to do anything. Annoying, but not a deal breaker.

Conclusion:
The form factor was very attractive. The build was much better than the original T100. The size and screen was just right. Performance was underwhelming, and made me realize I should never buy a tablet with less than 4GB RAM again -- if I want to do anything more than browse up to 4 tabs at once, that is. If not for the faulty hardware, I may have kept it, since it does work for remoting at least. But even then, that is too much of a compromise to make, when I already have other tablets that work. Maybe next year, they'll use the Core M or the new Atom X5/7 CPUs with 4GB RAM and all my complaints will be resolved? Or maybe I'll pick up the new Surface 3 with 4GB. We'll see.
Comment Comments (18) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 4, 2015 6:58 AM PDT

CMVision G60E26P-D150VL4W 4-watt E26 LED Light Bulb 270-Degree Wide Angle, 4.9 x 2.8 x 2.8-Inch, Pure White
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great LED bulbs for the price, June 6, 2014
I was wanting to put in LED lights to replace the frequently used lights in the house, since constant on-off seems to wear on our CFLs. So I bought these as my first experiment with LEDs, and was pleasantly surprised. I wasn't expecting much given the price, but they do the job very well.

I bought the "Pure White 5000K" and while not quite 5000K, the color is fairly close. I feel as if there's a hint of yellow to the color compared to real 5000K bulbs. After having them up for a few weeks, however, either my eyes can't tell or maybe there was some burn-in that got rid of the yellow. My bathroom light fixture that used to have 4x13W (52W) CFLs now have 4x4W (16W) -- and I can hardly tell the difference in brightness level. And unlike my old CFLs that had a warm-up time, these turn on instantly and start with full brightness.

Overall, I'm very pleased with these bulbs, and plan on upgrading my upstairs bathroom lights with these as well.

JVC HAS140W High Quality Flat Foldable Headphones
JVC HAS140W High Quality Flat Foldable Headphones
Price: $9.62
153 used & new from $3.19

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very good headphones, June 5, 2014
I let my daughter borrow my Sennheiser headphones on her iPad, so I could work at home in peace. I needed a replacement as I reclaimed them, so my purchase criteria was "cheap and good enough". Based on the current reviews, I figured these would probably suffice for my 7 year old. I'm probably not mistaken, because they do function well, and fit well on her. However, the sound quality is mediocre to poor at best.

Bass: Almost non-existent compared to anything at the $20 level. This is half that price mark, so maybe it's understandable.
Mids: Fairly normal. I'd put it on par with a $20 model.
Highs: Tinny and harsh. I didn't realize they made them this bad.

For keeping your young child occupied with their Minecraft and occasional on-the-go movie time, it's definitely passable.
For music listening? Spend a few bucks more and buy at least a decent $20 set. Even if it's for a young child, they probably deserve something a little more than this disappointing quality set.

Also, the headband part is plain unpadded plastic, and can start to hurt the top of your head with prolonged wear (especially if your hair is starting to thin like me). Loosening the band helps to a degree, but then the headphone pads don't properly fit on your ear as well, causing a reduction in what little sound quality there is to begin with.

All in all, if you need really cheap headphones, this wouldn't be a bad choice. Just understand what you're getting into, and that a 4.5-star $10 headphone is just that -- a good, cheap (price AND quality) set that's not going to really impress anyone, but will do the job.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5