Profile for Josh > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 27

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Josh RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Old Shanghai Women's Silk Kimono- Handpainted (Short) - Cherry Blossom Navy
Old Shanghai Women's Silk Kimono- Handpainted (Short) - Cherry Blossom Navy
Offered by Old Shanghai Online
Price: $89.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful contemporary kimono, April 8, 2015
The size was a little too wide for my wife (5' 4", 115lbs that wears sizes 3-6). I didn't expect the "Short" version to be so short (in hindsight, I should have spoiled the surprise a little and used a tape measure to measure to see what 37.5" long really meant). I was expecting something a bit more traditional (long), but it essentially looks like a short 1-piece dress.

The "kimono" itself is very nice looking. As few reviewers had mentioned, some of the seams have very slight loose threading or fraying going on, but nothing serious. For the price, this is very beautiful and well-made. My wife loves the texture of it, although the silk sash does tend to come loose very quickly. She has to double-tie the knot, which makes it look a bit silly, so we may look into getting something else as a sash or obi. She liked it a lot, so we also bought her the long version, which she likes even more.

ASUS Transformer Book Chi 10.1-Inch Ultra-Slim All-Aluminum Detachable 2 in 1 Touchscreen Laptop, 32 GB Capacity
Price: $399.00
33 used & new from $393.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Dated, but tolerable tablet, April 4, 2015
I was greatly looking forward to this device since it was announced. I've had many tablets and 2-in-1's before in my quest to find the ultimate carry tablet that I could keep in my man-bag, to remote in to my work computer in case of on-call situations. I'm a work-at-home programmer, so I have a heavy-weight MacBook Pro 15 for work, a MacBook Pro 13 for personal use, and I was looking for a tertiary portable device -- a light-weight, high-resolution, under 11" detachable tablet with a real OS. It looked like it very well could fulfill that role. And it kind of could. But my experience was not very satisfactory.

The Good:
1) Screen Resolution - major plus. Things looked great at 1920x1200. I could fit a lot more on a screen when remoting (VNC/TeamViewer/Splashtop/RDC) than with the old T100TA models with their 1366x768, or the iPad's 4:3.
2) Weight - pretty darn lightweight, even with the keyboard dock. Anything that makes my bag lighter is a plus.
3) Size - the 10" fits well in my bag (which only fits up to 10.7" wide). Bigger bags look silly to use as a go-everywhere bag, so this size was a must.

The Bad:
1) 2GB RAM - This is 2015. "Modern" web pages take up maybe 100-200MB each. Fresh install after removing bloatware boots up with around 800MB free RAM. That's 4 "big" tabs (or 8 medium ones) before you're out of RAM. Add Skype (~100MB), Mail (varies), etc. and it's swapping like crazy. Now this wouldn't be bad with a fast SSD and CPU, perhaps. But the tablet has Bitlocker-equivalent encryption enabled and a 80MB/s eMMC flash storage. Consequently, when this thing swaps, it is slow. I typically average 8-10 open tabs, so this was definitely cramping me.

Can I learn to run with less tabs? Possibly, but that's just plain inconvenient. When price of RAM is as low as it is, and the web's JavaScript hungry big pages of 2015, they should have said no to 2GB RAM. I realize this is an Intel limitation with the Baytrail Atoms though, so that's enough here.

2) Z3775 CPU - Again, this is 2015. Core M is already out. I realize that's what the T300 Chi was about. But that shouldn't mean they have to screw the 10" market! The now-dated Z3775 isn't terrible by any means, but I would have gladly paid for the Core M upgrade that would have allowed 4GB RAM. Z3775 has problems keeping up with Firefox -- it can't be lag free. Even my iPad Air 2 handles rendering and scrolling faster than this (albeit page refreshes for switching tabs). Remoting is much slower, depending on the application. Core M processors perform just fine with both.

I could (and had to) use Internet Explorer, which is sufficiently fast -- but frankly, I don't trust it (hello, Pwn2Own 2015). Firefox lets me use Add-ons like AdBlock and NoScript where necessary, so I can reduce my attack vector significantly. Equivalents for IE are lacking and unstable in my experience. Very disappointing that they chose to go with this. Again, my complaint is that they didn't offer the Core M on the T100 as an option. I'm sure some would rather have a slow experience at the cheaper price point, but it would have been a lot nicer had they given us the choice.

3) Trackpad - I wish WinTab manufacturers would learn a lesson from Apple. I have never known a PC trackpad that I could enjoy. Is it so hard to make "tap-to-click" work everywhere on the trackpad surface? There's only about 1 spot on the trackpad that responded to taps reliably, and anywhere else was 50% success. It took a meticulously planned forced tap to make it register anywhere else, and even then, it was 80% at best. It becomes easier just to use the buttons, but even those are iffy depending on where you push down. Could I live with it? Probably. Just a major annoyance -- one when combined with swapping from running out of RAM, you never know if you actually clicked it and are waiting for the slow CPU+eMMC to "page in" swapped contents, or if the trackpad simply ignored your tap.

Annoyances:
1) IPS screen was good for the most part with good viewing angles for color, but it became visibly grainy when held even slightly degrees off-center.
2) Sound was flat with no bass. iPad Air 2 greatly outperforms these sorry tiny tablet speakers, as is the norm. They sure announced and advertised it as something being better, so I was kind of hoping for better. No biggie with decent headphones, but still disappointing.
3) Keyboard QC - mine had a couple keys ("2" and Enter key) that had a faulty scissor, and would occasionally miss the stroke. Drove me nuts, but that's just my unit.
4) Hardware QC - mine started having daily BSOD's even after clean OS refresh + no 3rd party anything. Minidump indicates something in the core OS triggered it. Most likely RAM issues. Back in the box it goes.
5) Bluetooth keyboard dock without USB3 - had to buy a mini-USB3 adapter for USB HDD. Can't leave the dock plugged in on the desk and let it charge my tablet when docked, like Samsung 2-in-1's. Worst of all, keyboard goes to sleep fairly quickly, and I have to wait for it to wake up before being able to do anything. Annoying, but not a deal breaker.

Conclusion:
The form factor was very attractive. The build was much better than the original T100. The size and screen was just right. Performance was underwhelming, and made me realize I should never buy a tablet with less than 4GB RAM again -- if I want to do anything more than browse up to 4 tabs at once, that is. If not for the faulty hardware, I may have kept it, since it does work for remoting at least. But even then, that is too much of a compromise to make, when I already have other tablets that work. Maybe next year, they'll use the Core M or the new Atom X5/7 CPUs with 4GB RAM and all my complaints will be resolved? Or maybe I'll pick up the new Surface 3 with 4GB. We'll see.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 21, 2015 12:38 PM PDT

CMVision G60E26P-D150VL4W 4-watt E26 LED Light Bulb 270-Degree Wide Angle, 4.9 x 2.8 x 2.8-Inch, Pure White
Offered by cmvision
Price: $5.95
3 used & new from $5.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great LED bulbs for the price, June 6, 2014
I was wanting to put in LED lights to replace the frequently used lights in the house, since constant on-off seems to wear on our CFLs. So I bought these as my first experiment with LEDs, and was pleasantly surprised. I wasn't expecting much given the price, but they do the job very well.

I bought the "Pure White 5000K" and while not quite 5000K, the color is fairly close. I feel as if there's a hint of yellow to the color compared to real 5000K bulbs. After having them up for a few weeks, however, either my eyes can't tell or maybe there was some burn-in that got rid of the yellow. My bathroom light fixture that used to have 4x13W (52W) CFLs now have 4x4W (16W) -- and I can hardly tell the difference in brightness level. And unlike my old CFLs that had a warm-up time, these turn on instantly and start with full brightness.

Overall, I'm very pleased with these bulbs, and plan on upgrading my upstairs bathroom lights with these as well.

JVC HAS140W High Quality Flat Foldable Headphones
JVC HAS140W High Quality Flat Foldable Headphones
Price: $10.34
86 used & new from $8.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very good headphones, June 5, 2014
I let my daughter borrow my Sennheiser headphones on her iPad, so I could work at home in peace. I needed a replacement as I reclaimed them, so my purchase criteria was "cheap and good enough". Based on the current reviews, I figured these would probably suffice for my 7 year old. I'm probably not mistaken, because they do function well, and fit well on her. However, the sound quality is mediocre to poor at best.

Bass: Almost non-existent compared to anything at the $20 level. This is half that price mark, so maybe it's understandable.
Mids: Fairly normal. I'd put it on par with a $20 model.
Highs: Tinny and harsh. I didn't realize they made them this bad.

For keeping your young child occupied with their Minecraft and occasional on-the-go movie time, it's definitely passable.
For music listening? Spend a few bucks more and buy at least a decent $20 set. Even if it's for a young child, they probably deserve something a little more than this disappointing quality set.

Also, the headband part is plain unpadded plastic, and can start to hurt the top of your head with prolonged wear (especially if your hair is starting to thin like me). Loosening the band helps to a degree, but then the headphone pads don't properly fit on your ear as well, causing a reduction in what little sound quality there is to begin with.

All in all, if you need really cheap headphones, this wouldn't be a bad choice. Just understand what you're getting into, and that a 4.5-star $10 headphone is just that -- a good, cheap (price AND quality) set that's not going to really impress anyone, but will do the job.

Lewis N. Clark  Passport Case With Rfid Protection,Black,One Size
Lewis N. Clark Passport Case With Rfid Protection,Black,One Size
Price: $9.99
15 used & new from $5.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Acceptable quality, January 4, 2014
The item is mostly as described. Although the appearance actually differs from what is pictured (see Customer Images for some I just uploaded), it still mostly resembles the original, so no points lost there from me. Mine does not have the duo-tone black/grey color scheme -- just straight black. The Lewis N Clark logo is not metal/plastic as the product photo would lead you to believe -- mine is a stitched cloth logo. There is also a red/white RFID-logo on the bottom right. Just be aware that you may get the same version as I did, so I'd advise on planning accordingly.

Mine measures 4" x 5.75", with a thickness of roughly 0.5" with 1 standard US Passport inside. Quite the difference from the quoted product description (as of Dec 2013).

The build quality is befitting of a budget-level Made-in-China product. Stitching looks like it may come loose over time, and there's a couple minor defects in the netting material, but without being overly stingy/picky, I can't fault it for the price. I'm still confident it'll hold up for the occasions where I will be using it.

The only concern I have is whether the RFID blocking is actually effective or not. Since I have no definitive way of testing, I simply wrapped up my iPhone in it while connected to my home phone. I only noticed light call quality degradations, and a couple spots where it stopped sending audio for a couple seconds at a time. But I ultimately couldn't get it to disconnect the call. Now RFID technology is far more sensitive to blocking, since the signal has to be strong enough to make it in, activate the chip, then passively reflect it back out (whereas cell phones will actively send out a stronger signal in case of insufficient reception strength).

The $9.99 question is -- is it strong enough to actually block out the passport scanners? Given that the newer generation e-Passports have RFID-blocking covers (when closed all the way), putting in your passport in just one pocket where it will be forced to shut all the way *most likely will* be sufficient. Conversely, when inserted with each side's cover in their respective sleeves so the passport opens along with the cover, it leaves a nice 1/2" opening through which RFID signals have been known to be readable, so I would be very hesitant to trust that method. If only they had a snap/clasp to keep it shut, I believe that would have made it a bit more reliable.

Overall, I believe it's still a good peace of mind from RFID scanning, when used properly.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Acer Iconia W3-810-1416 8.1-Inch 64 GB Tablet (Silver)
Acer Iconia W3-810-1416 8.1-Inch 64 GB Tablet (Silver)
15 used & new from $129.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre tablet that could have been great, June 24, 2013
This tablet is pretty good on paper. As much screen resolution as a normal 12-14" laptop, a "decent" netbook processor, 8 hour battery life, and "free" Office 2013 (if you don't already own a copy already and want it, it makes the price of this tablet worthwhile). All the things that "should" make for a decent tablet, right? I've been stalking this tablet for months now, and preordered it the very hour it popped up on Amazon, and I finally got it on my doorstep this afternoon. What should have been a blissful after lunch experience suddenly became a headache.

DISPLAY:
Out-of-box Windows Setup uses the customized Acer "green" interface. It was at this point that it became clear that this tablet must sport a TN panel -- the green text looked almost checkered from bad flickering, and what is supposed to be a solid green background was a gradient due to the horrible viewing angles. It was almost black past the 50% point to the right. I had read other Acer tablets use an IPS panel, so I had great expectations. They were horrifically shattered. Not only was this not an IPS panel, but it's the worst TN panel I've owned in over a decade.

Acer decided to orient the panel to the portrait experience with the Windows physical button on the bottom. This makes landscape usage of the device look horrid, and only acceptable-looking when cocking your head 10-20 degrees to the right of the screen. Windows desktop is hardly usable at 800px wide in portrait mode, so there is no winning that way either. Increasing to max brightness alleviates some of the viewing angle issue, but that's not always a satisfactory answer.

Since your left and right eyes are technically viewing the panel from different angles, they each see different shades of colors for the same pixel due to poor viewing angles. This can give your brain a very disturbing sensation as it just doesn't look normal. You can reduce this issue by increasing the distance to your tablet (as per basic trigonometry, this reduces the viewing angle disparity between your left/right eyes) -- but good luck doing that with an 8" screen and tiny UI elements.

Limited viewing angles are one thing. Grainy text from flickering deep colors is yet another thing. This panel also suffers one last critical flaw: it uses a cheap grainy film below the digitizer. It's so pronounced on white web pages that my eyes get caught looking at the grains while scrolling instead of the text. I've seen some screen protectors make the screen rainbow and grainy, but not quite this bad.

DISK:
4KB: 4.8MB/s Write, 16.1MB/s Read
64KB: 11.2MB/s Write, 64.3MB/s Read
1MB: 34.0MB/s Write, 82.3MB/s Read
Anything higher than 1MB transfer size didn't improve the rate. This puts the internal flash storage slower than a typical 5400RPM drive for raw transfer, and seek times were mediocre on average. It's nothing to write home about, and almost all Windows-based tablets in this price range have similarly performing internal flash storage, so this wasn't surprising.

WIFI:
Weak signal (2-3 bars most of the time) ~10ft from the access point, 1 sheetrock wall in between. None of my other devices have signal drops that bad. File transfer speed from a local NAS from that distance was ~3MB/s.

PERFORMANCE:
With the Atom Z2760, I knew I was getting less power than my 2010 MacBook Air 11". I read tons of reviews saying that it's vastly improved and performance is smooth. I won't argue that a lot of Windows 8 "Metro" UI apps work sufficiently fast, as expected. A lot of it works faster than my Nexus 7 or my iPad Mini for similar functions, since the CPU is indeed faster than those. But the appeal of this tablet isn't to run watered-down RT-style apps. It's the ability to run legacy apps, like Office. So I timed some core functions:

Boot: 31.3 seconds
Word: 16.2 seconds first time, 7.1 seconds second time (cached)
Excel: 7.2 seconds (Office framework must have been cached from Word)
Visual Studio 2012 Express (WD): 13.2 seconds
Visual Studio 2012 Express Web: Creating an MVC4 "Internet" Project: 58 seconds; First-time project "Run" to page load: 37 seconds

Numerically, it's slightly faster than my 2007 Eee's. Compared to recent cheap laptops? Slow. Compared to my primary retina MacBook Pro 15? Dog slow. But that's not the metric by which I'm judging this tablet by, so I'm not going to dock any points for the relatively sluggish CPU. I already knew that before buying this tablet. I just wish that it was a bit faster than this, but what can you expect from this price point? Newer CPU generations have better performance, so we'll see how that improves things in the future, I guess.

What DOES bother me, however, is the bluetooth performance. On 3 of my bluetooth keyboards, I can easily out-type how fast the tablet can keep up with the input. And when that happens, the bluetooth keyboards will all repeat characters liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiike thiisssssssss. I've always wondered if it's my particular keyboards (2 Logitech ones, and an AmazonBasics one) or the host tablet, because I've had it do it on my Nexus and my iPad before, too -- just when the CPU is bogged down. Given how small the tablet is, it's rather hard to be too productive on a tiny on-screen keyboard. It's doable, but I still prefer my bluetooth keyboard.
Edit: I just researched it, and apparently, using a Bluetooth mouse in conjunction with the keyboards will cause the repeating to happen, or get worse. I guess I'll have to go buy a micro-USB adapter for this.

To wrap it up, this is still a decent tablet, if you must have portable device that can run all your desktop apps. It's slow, but it'll still get the job done in a reasonable amount of time. Patience not included. If your CPU requirements are on the low end, you could definitely get away with hooking up a keyboard+mouse + HDMI display, and make it a portable desktop that you can "undock" and take with you lightly. Just make sure you can tolerate bad quality displays, or your eyes will probably be hurting after prolonged use.

My particular unit had a speaker issue - sounds like loose cabling or something, but even at 100%, I can only hear faint sounds, along with some serious fuzzy electronic noise. If I plug in headphones, it works perfectly, so I'm guessing it's just a speaker cabling/audio chipset issue. So quality control was really poor overall for this product, in my opinion.

Edit: In the end, I couldn't tolerate the display giving me a headache, and the sound issue made for bad usability overall. It went back to Amazon, unfortunately. I wanted it to work out, but there were too many problems.

Thanks for reading my review! I hope some of it was useful.
Comment Comments (39) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 11, 2014 7:48 PM PDT

2325 Rothco Venturer Travel Portfolio Bag - Black
2325 Rothco Venturer Travel Portfolio Bag - Black
Offered by It's A Big Deal
Price: $11.99
18 used & new from $11.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny smell, questionable quality, but can't be beat., March 6, 2013
Since I got my iPad Mini, I've spent many hours looking a decent bag to carry my new toy in. I wanted something light enough to fit in my car door pocket when going out, and could carry enough accessories so I didn't need to stuff my pockets full. What I found was a very dismal selection all around, unless I was willing to spend way more than I can afford.

When I saw this bag, I knew it would be a gamble. It looks like it has terrible quality control from the manufacturer, and with over 20% chances (at least from the available reviews currently) to get a lemon. But at just $13, I figured it would be worth the gamble a couple times to see if I could get a decent one. It turns out that I got a decent draw the first time.

There are plenty good things about this bag -- plenty of pockets, lots of room even after stuffing the entirety of my wallet's contents inside, plus a flashlight and my iPad with Smart Cover. From the few days of usage, carrying everywhere from dropping off the kid at school to going grocery shopping, it's worked great. Durability could be an issue, but with gentle use, I don't see this breaking apart that quickly.

As big as my list of compliments about this bag -- is my list of gripes.
1) Smell - it has some oily and plastic smell. Not unusual, and dissipates in a couple days.
2) Dirty - mine came a bit oily feeling with dust inside. Wiped it off with disinfectant wipes to make it tolerable, but it's still there to an extent. I'd imagine that it'll also dissipate over time.
3) Design - it's a bit of an atrocious of a way to open it up, and the way it folds up leaves a lot of potential for cards to slip out the bottom -- only if they come loose to begin with, however. If kept upright all the time, this shouldn't be a problem, most likely.
The card slots were all sufficiently large enough to allow all my cards to fit; however, they're all so deep. Each slot goes ALL the way down to the bottom of the sleeve, so cards can get lost in there, making it a pain to get them out.
The inner pocket is too short to allow any unfolded bills, so they have to be folded. Just nitpicks, really.

All in all, I'm rather pleased with this cheap purchase. I'll be carrying it around daily.

Skenco Blue Arrow .177 Cal, 6.4 Grains, Pointed, Lead-Free, 250ct
Skenco Blue Arrow .177 Cal, 6.4 Grains, Pointed, Lead-Free, 250ct
Offered by A&C Air Pellets, LLC
Price: $9.94
4 used & new from $8.57

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Lead-free pellet I've found yet., February 25, 2013
I've been looking for a decent lead-free .177 pellet for my target pistols, for use at home when I can't make it to the range. Not to mention, .22LR has been increasingly difficult to acquire lately with current events. These lead-free pellets have given me the chance to not let my target shooting skills go down the drain while the ammo shortage lasts, all in the comfort of my office -- without having to worry about lead getting all over.

Now, I say that these are the "best" I've found yet, but in reality, they're sometimes rather inaccurate -- a small sample taken with my caliper has shown that they're consistently thinner than 4.4mm (4.32-4.38mm) and length can vary by 0.3mm. This is quite noticeable when I don't even see any rifling marks on the pellets when shot. Although this has a side benefit, the immediate result is that you can get some pretty unreliable shots, especially on the smaller ones.

My best unrested 10-round groups at 10m are 1-2in because of this, where I'd be able to get better groups with lead. About 1 in 10 will be a flier out of a rested rifle, and I have a hard time maintaining same-hole accuracy even at short distances.

The side benefit to all of this: I can reuse these pellets, knowing full well that these pellets have fliers and are rather inaccurate to begin with. After ~100 rounds, I dump out my double-curtained pellet trap on to a tray, vacuum up the dust, cardboard, and paper. I wash them to make sure any dust is rinsed off (so it won't line my barrel with gunk), and let them dry overnight. I throw out any malformed pellets, then go use them again. 1 in 5 of the reused pellets will usually be a flier, but the rest are still pretty darn good at 5-10m. I usually reuse a set of these ~100 rounds about 5-7 times, depending on how thrifty I feel at the moment.

Given the current pricing, I'm buying them at 4.7 cents per round. Reusing each pellet an average of 5 times reduces it to 0.9 cents per round. That's a pretty good bargain for lead-free plinking in the comfort of your own home during the winter. Sure -- it's not lead price or amazing accuracy. But it's about the best lead-free model I've found so far that doesn't cost more than .22LR.

Umarex 6mm Airsoft H&K USP CO2 Pistol Md: 2262030
Umarex 6mm Airsoft H&K USP CO2 Pistol Md: 2262030
Price: $28.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay as a toy, February 19, 2013
This review is from: H&K USP Pistol (Medium) (Sports)
I like to use airsoft guns for practice when I can't make it to the range. After going through a few broken springers, this particular model appealed to me because of its price, lower FPS (less wear on targets) and CO2 (rapid firing or multiple target practice). Unfortunately, this has proven to be what it is -- a toy.

Although I don't have trigger scale, it is much heavier and grittier than my DAO 8-pound triggers, with an over-travel that will make a low-FPS BB deviate from its Point of Aim quite noticeably. Perhaps it is actually helping me learn better trigger control and grip -- but since my real firearms don't suffer from the aforementioned problems, I'm not sure if there really is a benefit.

The CO2 being in the "magazine" is a bit annoying as it doesn't help with reloading practice; however, it does a decent job of simulating the weight of a double-stack magazine. The seals don't have a leak problem at all if every cartridge is lubed with Crosman Pellgunoil before insertion. Also, the only time I've ever had a leak problem was when I overtightened the screw -- just turn it enough for the plastic screw to hide in the assembly, and that's good enough.

At the end of the day, I didn't get the practice tool that I was hoping for. Have to pay much more to get something useful enough for such purposes, I guess. Instead, I got a toy that I keep in my office desk drawer that I pull out to shoot at the sticky target across the room for fun. It does a good job of that, at least.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't fit Glock 17, M&P; Poor QC, February 19, 2013
I ordered this laser the day before the first reviewer posted claiming this laser/light doesn't fit on a Glock 17. I was hoping that he could have possibly been mistaken, but I unfortunately was wrong. The cross bar is just too far forward to fit on any standard Glock model, and also the M&P platform. I'm sure it fits fine on rifles or handguns with a full rail, but it was disappointing that it had no chance of fitting on a "standard size handgun" as the product description claims.

Misleading advertising is one thing -- mine had a laser that would fade with impact/recoil. I simply let my slide go from the open position, and the resulting impact would make the laser dim until another impact randomly dimmed it or otherwise brightened it. Probably something loose, or just a faulty laser. Tried fresh batteries with no luck. I have a couple other cheap lasers that do the same thing, so I'm guessing just bad quality control by the manufacturer.

Thankfully, Amazon processed my return efficiently, so all's well that ends well, I guess. Going to try a TLR-2 next, probably.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3