Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for Ruth > Reviews

Browse

Ruth's Profile

Customer Reviews: 134

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ruth "Historical Romance Author" RSS Feed (United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Lost Book of Enoch : A Comprehensive Transliteration of the Forgotten Book of the Bible
by Joseph Lumpkin
Price: $10.99
63 used & new from $1.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Introduction, December 27, 2009
The reason I wanted to read the Book of Enoch was because I've heard preachers that I admire mention it. I didn't know much about it when I started reading it, except that it gave insight into the days prior to Noah's flood. Of course, whether or not this book is inspired by God (as I believe the Bible to be) is up for debate. All the same though, I figured it was worth checking out. I do not see anything in the book of Enoch that contradicts the Bible, and in many ways, it helps explain how other cultures acquired their myths regarding "gods" who slept with women and had offspring. Then there is the issue of giants, which also pop up in myths.

However, that is not the bulk of this book's contents. There were parts in it about the sun and moon and how they rise and descend into various "doors" depending on the time of year. Other parts pertained to God the Father and God the Son (aka Son of Man). The angels were mentioned and some of their names and roles were explained. Then there was the vision of where the lost and the fallen angels will spend eternity. Noah is credited for writing a portion of this book as well, and the flood is warned ahead of time and even covered in a vision Enoch has. Then Enoch gives an overall view of human history post-flood to when the Son of Man returns (His second coming) and how the wicked are punished forever while the righteous live on in joy forever. I did not realize this book contained all of this extra stuff as well, which is why I mention it here in this review.

Overall, I found it useful for background knowledge. I plan to do more research in this area though before I make any definite conclusions. Do I think this is worth reading? Yes because regardless of how "accurate" it may be, I did find myself praising God in light of what I read concerning His care for His own. Also, I think it is very plausible that things happened the way Enoch said they did. However, I would not put this above or in place of the Bible. I think it's important to have read the Bible first to have the foundation in place. As for this translation, I liked it, especially when Joseph B. Lumpkin tied in Biblical verses with pertinent passages.

Politics, Prophecy and The Supernatural
Politics, Prophecy and The Supernatural
by Marzulli Lynn A.
32 used & new from $3.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Orderly and Well-Researched Book, December 19, 2009
I did enjoy the background overview of Israeli history. I think to better understand end-times Biblical prophecy, it's important to have an understanding of the past, present, and future state of Israel. I found that the author neatly laid things out on the political scene and his guess at what the Ezekiel 38-39 prophecy will look like is realistic. So I thought he did an excellent job of that.

I also enjoyed the orderly way he took a look at supernatural events like fallen angels, nephilim, ufos and aliens. Some things may strike people as too bizarre to be real, but that's where doing more research comes in. Personally, I can see how things fall into place regarding the supernatural events. But whether or not the Great Deception will look exactly the way the author portrays it to be will have to be seen. The author doesn't claim that the end-times will look like how he thinks it will, but I admit he made a pretty convincing argument. I see that a possible "alien disclosure" and its ramifications could shift the belief systems of people on a global scale.

The reason I gave this book five stars is because I was impressed by the amount of research this author did and the way he logically and orderly laid his findings out in the book. There were some passages (especially on the political issues) that I had to force my way through because I thought it was dry reading, but that doesn't mean it was poorly done. It just means that I preferred the supernatural aspect of the book a lot more. The biggest plus in this book is that it does weave politics in with the supernatural for a better view of the whole picture.

by Julia Dudek
Price: $29.99
8 used & new from $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining Psychological Thriller about the Darker Side of the Human Psyche, December 7, 2009
This review is from: Pieces (Hardcover)
From the description of the book and the prologue, I thought this book was going to begin after Angelique (Angie) McCourt's best friend died and she went on a mission to discover the missing pieces of the puzzle so she could identify the killer. But the story doesn't begin at that moment. It begins with Angie starting med school. Angie is perfect. She has a perfect memory and is gorgeous. In the beginning, she comes off as someone who thinks she's too good for everyone else. I figured that the story would show the evolution of Angie from someone who's "perfect" to becoming human--and I was right.

The process of how that came to be was entertaining. It starts when she finally opens up to her roommate, Bernadette Scott, who is pretty much the opposite of Angie. It turns out they complement each other and become best friends. This was actually very interesting for me to read, but I felt sad when Bernadette died. It's hard for me to get attached to a character and watch them die. But this leads Angie on her quest to remember who the killer was, because she saw him murder her friend--it's just that the image is blurry in her mind.

What I liked most about this book was the evolution of Angie. It was an interesting journey she took as she sunk into the mind of a serial killer bent on revenge. The process was slow and the more "pieces" of the puzzle she got, the deeper she sank into the dark part of her mind. Parts of it had me on the edge of my seat, so that is always a plus. And I didn't expect the ending. I'd say this book takes a look at the good and bad that all of us possess. It was very well done. Oh, and the writing was excellent. This was flawlessly edited.

PIECES: A Novel
PIECES: A Novel
by Julia Dudek
Price: $19.99
8 used & new from $15.94

This review is from: PIECES: A Novel (Paperback)

Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Journey to the Dark Recesses in a Person's Mind, December 5, 2009
This review is from: Pieces (Kindle Edition)

Nephilim Stargates: The Year 2012 and the Return of the Watchers
Nephilim Stargates: The Year 2012 and the Return of the Watchers
by Thomas Horn
Price: $14.95
55 used & new from $2.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book Connects the Dots Between the Bible and Ancient Myths, December 2, 2009
I really enjoyed this book. It was the first one I read on this subject, and I think it's a good introductory book on the subject of the Nephilim. I admit I want to go deeper into the subject, but the way I see it, this book is perfect for where I was at on the subject: which is at the beginner level.

I especially liked the background of various myths around the world. I had not connected the dots on the similarities between the various cultural myths before. I was familiar with Greek mythology but not the others, so I did enjoy learning more about those. Some people I have talked to say that the different myths discredit the Bible. For me, it's the other way around. I am now more convinced that the Biblical account is the real one and the similarities among the myths are based on the Bible. (This, of course, is my personal view after reading this book.)

I kept expecting the author to throw in his opinion on the subject after he gave alternate views of Nephilim and current aliens/UFOs. I got suggestions of his position, but there wasn't anything definite. Maybe it was the author's intention to lay out different ideas and let the reader draw his/her own conclusions.

I thought the author did a good job of showing his research, though I would have preferred his own words to explain an idea instead of reading portions of his fiction book. I think one or two passages would be fine. I don't know how many were in there. Five or six. After the third one, I began to feel it was too much. Anyway, this is a minor point and it is why I gave it four stars instead of five.

One more thing I really enjoyed reading was about the human-animal hybrid genetic manipulation and how aliens might be making a human-alien hybrid as well. I feel that the surface has only been scratched on this subject (another reason why I think this is good for beginners). Now, I want to learn more.

I would buy this book again if given the choice because I do think it's a good reference point. I thoroughly enjoyed it and plan to keep it on my bookshelf. I also plan on buying more of his books.

Inclinations
Inclinations
by David Harrington
Price: $13.33
11 used & new from $2.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Read, November 15, 2009
This review is from: Inclinations (Paperback)
This book is a work of fiction, but I have to admit that while I was reading it, I was reminded of a couple of books from the Bible. I do come from a Christian background, which probably plays a big influence in how I viewed the book. Parts of it reminded me of the book of Ezekiel, especially with the images in the sky. Other parts reminded me of Genesis and Isaiah (examples include Noah's Ark and Lucifer's fall described). A large part reminded me of Revelation (such as the judgements and the beast). Overall, the theme seemed to be similar to that of the prophets of the Old Testament and Revelation which is God will judge sin for those who don't reprent and God will save those who reprent and seek His face.

I don't know if this was the author's intention (for me to read this in light of what the Bible says), but as a reader, this is how I interpreted it. I think this is one of those books that every reader will read and see different things. That is, in my opinion, a strength.

I found this book to be very well-written. The stories didn't seem to be in any particular order (though a couple of them were) but there was a common theme that connected the stories together, and I enjoyed that too. Now, it could be that the stories were in order and if this book is like the Bible, then endtime prophecy (which I believe in) is given in bits and pieces in the Old Testament, which is what the author could have been trying for in this book too. If so, I'd say he succeeded, and that would actually make him not only a good story teller but also a master at weaving the stories together as well. (Like I said, I'm not sure what the author's intent was in writing this book. I am merely saying what I saw as I read it. Reading a book like this is highly subjective.)

But I do recommend this book. The stories were interesting to read. I finished the book in under an hour because I was enjoying it. A couple stories you'll find in this book are the fall of Lucifer, the Bride that was once full of beauty and lost it, and how the year got shortened to 290 days.

Amethyst Circle: A Vampire Willows Novel, Book 1
Amethyst Circle: A Vampire Willows Novel, Book 1
by Jess L Cochran
Price: $13.95
2 used & new from $11.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fun Read, October 8, 2009
I don't usually read urban fantasy or paranormal novels, but I did enjoy this one. What I liked most about this book was the idea of a psychic vampire. I though this was a unique idea compared to the blood sucking vampires I usually come across. Another thing I liked was that this vampire, Jenny Willows, is a normal person. What I mean by that is that she's not perfect. She has struggles to deal with, like whether or not she can do the job of defeating the dark creature.

One of my favorite characters is her annoying "friend", Christi. I got a good laugh out of several instances in the story, like when we are introduced to Christi who comes off as being a little too bubbly and too needy. We all know people like this which is what made it such a riot to read. I did find Christi's part of the story intriguing though since she gets involved with a group of people who seemed very suspicious to me. I won't give anything away, but I will say that it was her experience with this group that had me on the edge of my seat because I couldn't tell if they were going to harm her or not.

It is Stephen, Christi's brother, who unleashes a sinister creature who is slowly draining all of Earth's energy. This is where Jenny comes in. She has to figure out how to defeat this creature before it succeeds in destroying life on our planet, and so she joins forces with some friends. I did enjoy reading about the creature, and there were times when I wanted to know more about it but in a way, it is the mystery of this thing that is appealing.

I thought the book had nice pacing to it. I didn't get bored and often found myself coming back to it to read "just another chapter". I'd recommend this for anyone who enjoys urban fantasy or paranormal books. I'm looking forward to the second book in this series!

Oh, That I Had Wings
Oh, That I Had Wings
by Sarah Pawley
Price: $12.99
14 used & new from $10.58

5.0 out of 5 stars One Man's Journey of Growth and Love, August 9, 2009
This review is from: Oh, That I Had Wings (Paperback)
Jack Langdon grew up in a home where men ruled the home and women's wishes were not taken into consideration. When his mother gives birth to a girl (who is the heroine in the novel "Finding Grace"), his father is disappointed because he wanted another son. Seeing this, Jack immediately becomes protective of her. His relationship with his father is far from ideal, and the day comes when he cannot stay home anymore. So he enters WWI.

There, he transforms from a naive boy to a knowledgable young man. He's faced with the horrors of war and his first love interest makes him evaluate what love really is and what it means. But the day comes when the war ends and he returns home. As much as some things have not changed back at the place where he grew up, he has. So when he comes across a young woman named Alice who is an independent thinker, he's naturally attracted to her. The rest of the book chronicles the challenges that the two face.

I really enjoyed this book. Jack was a sweetheart and very easy to like. His views of women is different from his father's, so there are often clashes on this point. I like the relationship between him and his younger sister. I also liked the realities of war that he experienced. Sarah Pawley has done a lot of research and it shows in the book. The wording and the setting is authentic. The pacing is steady so I didn't get bored. And I especially love the romance between Jack and Alice. The two were so wonderful together, and after everything Jack had been through, it was nice to see him with her.

I definitely recommend this book if you are looking for something that is realistic. This is not a fluffy piece of fiction. It is deep. Parts will make you cry and parts will make you laugh, but the ending will leave you satisfied.

Starfire Angels
Starfire Angels
by Melanie Nilles
Price: $7.99
30 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars When an Ordinary Teenager Realizes She's not so Ordinary After All, August 7, 2009
This review is from: Starfire Angels (Paperback)
Raea Dahlrich spent her entire life as a regular, ordinary teenager. Then senior year hits and her entire world changes. She wakes up one morning with wings. It turns out she's an alien from another planet. As if that isn't bad enough, her aunt (who is her guardian) brings her neighbor, Elis, over to help her adjust to her newfound identity.

The problem is Elis is also a creepy senior who keeps to himself, and now he's the one who has to help her adjust to being an alien. But there is a bright side to all of this. Pallin, the new good looking foreign exchange student, is actually paying attention to her. Then again, there is that pesky reporter who is snooping around and wanting to know about Raea's strange marks on her hands. Will the reporter find out Raea's secret? Will Raea end up with Pallin? Is Elis so creepy after all?

Those are the prevailing questions in this book. I really enjoyed this one. The perk (for me) was the humor. Now, this isn't a comedy. In fact there are some serious moments, but the way Raea thinks and her interaction with her friends provides some great light-hearted moments. I liked the reporter's quick thinking. This woman knew her job and did it well. I was constantly amazed at how her mind worked.

In my opinion, this book could be enjoyed by adult women. I know it says YA, and this book will definitely appeal to teens. I mean, who hasn't dealt with the pressures of high school or wondering if the guy likes you or not? So teens can definitely relate to the things Raea goes through. But adults can enjoy the more mature sub-plots. (I think there are some things adults will get that teens won't.) Melanie Nilles has woven in an entertaining, fun, romantic, and sometimes serious science fiction story about a teenage alien girl who just wants to be normal again.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 3, 2014 7:53 AM PST