Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports
Profile for W. Kulhanek > Reviews

Browse

W. Kulhanek's Profile

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

W. Kulhanek RSS Feed

Zomei Gradual grey ND8 Square Z-PRO Series Filter for Cokin Z zomei Hitech 4X4" Holder 145*100 mm

3.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, March 18, 2015
Well, I guess you get what you pay for. It works just fine but I immediately managed to scratch the darker area.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 29, 2015 3:14 PM PST

Acer B286HK ymjdpprz 28-inch UHD 4K2K (3840 x 2160) Widescreen Display with ErgoStand
61 used & new from $392.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Great monitor - some small caveats, March 13, 2015
I ordered this monitor last week after considering quite a few others. Price and the integrated USB 3 hub made the difference in my purchasing decision.

It is a beautiful display - as long as you are not scrolling through black text on white background (like a web page). When you do that you will be painfully aware of the ghosting issue that others have mentioned. Basically the black text leaves a trailing shadow. I actually changed my behavior to scroll and then read than continuously scroll while reading. Problem solved. Now I have not seen any issue when playing Video etc.

The speakers are atrocious - after hearing how they sound I immediately went back to my build-in speakers on my MacBook Pro - even in Clamshell Mode they are MUCH better than the speakers on this monitor. So don't use the speakers as a decision criteria.

I hooked this monitor up to my mid 2014 MacBook Pro 15" with Retina Display using a Mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable (you have to buy that one separately). Immediately showed beautiful 4K/60Hz resolution. At first I thought my MBP didn't have the horsepower to handle the resolution - everything felt really sluggish. But after a reboot everything works the way it should - and very responsive as well.

I used my (old) Spyder3Express to calibrate the colors on the monitor in order to do some work on my photos. Seems like after that it does reproduce colors quite well.

Can't really speak to the USB Hub - it just works, but I haven't done any speed tests so far.

So all in all a great 4K display for the price - if you can live with the ghosting when scrolling text.

Canon EOS M 18.0 MP Compact Systems Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD and EF-M 22mm STM Lens (OLD MODEL)
6 used & new from $298.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Camera takes fantastic picture - if you can get it to focus in time. Canon doesn't even believe in this system., October 18, 2012
I picked this camera up on my last trip to Japan 3 days after it came out there. In Japan they only sold a kitchen sink bundle for the first few weeks which included the body, 22m lens, 18-55m lens, EF Lens adapter and the Speedlite 90EX flash.

This camera takes fantastic pictures! But there are two shortcomings that are incredibly annoying. First of all the camera takes a good second (or more) to focus - for a camera this expensive this is almost unacceptable. My Canon G11 was focusing faster... Second there is a (beautiful) touch screen on the back of the camera. This touchscreen can also be used as a shutter - as in: touch the touchscreen to take a picture. Now the product manager/developer who decided it was a good idea to put the control to enable/disable the touch shutter onto the touchscreen needs to be fired. When I walked around various Japanese cities with the camera around my neck it happened with regularity that the camera would bump up against my body, turn the touch shutter on and then continue to take pictures every time it bumped against my body. SERIOUSLY ANNOYING with no way to disable. I really hope there will be a firmware update to fix this (there is a menu setting to enable/disable the touch screen shutter - I have no idea why the additional control on the screen itself).

When doing post processing of my photos I did notice that I had quite a few of them with the focus slightly off. Guess the automatic metering didn't always pick the right spot to focus on - but then again I could have easily fixed that by using spot metering.

Now various other reviews (e.g. on Engadget) mentioned the missing mode dial compared to DSLRs or even G-series cameras. To be honest I haven't missed it that much during two weeks of intense shooting.

Also I haven't scratched the surface on what this camera can actually do - but I did find that for taking HDR pictures the built-in mode only really works for static scenes. With moving objects the camera can't really build a great HDR - so if there are people in a scene it's definitely better to process manually on the computer.

There really isn't much to say about the two lenses or the flash that came with the camera - they do the trick. And I have no EF lenses to try the converter with.

Added 2013/05/08:
I just returned from another trip to Asia and after this trip I would no longer recommend this camera. It simply doesn't focus fast enough to capture things quickly - e.g. when driving in a car and trying to take photos of the outside. Also I can't tell you how often my wife (or anyone else) ended up in my frame because it took more than 1 second to focus and take the shot. I know that's more "snapshot" photography but nevertheless I'd like to have that option.

Added 2013/06/27
Canon just released a firmware update 2.02 that claims to increase focusing times 2x - 3x in OneShot AF mode. I just applied it and within the room I'm in it seems to do what it says. Now I'll have to test the new firmware in the wild to see if it makes this camera more suited to my style of photography.

Added 2014/06/19
Well I finally sold it on eBay along with everything else Canon. After yet another trip with underwhelming photos - mostly due to the STILL slow focusing and lack of decent tele lens (I know I could have bought an expensive DSLR lens and used with the adapter - but what's the point of having a small mirror less if I have to haul along a big zoom lens). Interestingly Canon just announced a tele (55-200mm) lens for the EOS M - but just like the wide angle and the M2 it is not available in the US. And to top it off it's not even that great in terms of optical properties).

So being a bit annoyed with Canon I sold everything and went all in on a Sony a6000 - WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! Great camera, super fast focus and a range of GREAT lenses (got a Zeiss lens with it). I'm afraid Canon lost me as a customer - guess what brand our next compact for my wife will be....
Comment Comments (19) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 26, 2013 12:02 AM PDT

Fujitsu ScanSnap PA03603-B005 S1300 Instant PDF Sheet-Fed Mobile Scanner
Fujitsu ScanSnap PA03603-B005 S1300 Instant PDF Sheet-Fed Mobile Scanner
Offered by Shopping_Service_onLine
Price: $259.99
15 used & new from $199.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing scanner, May 26, 2011
I got this scanner 2 days ago and already my mountain of paperwork has shrunk dramatically. I am using this scanner on a Mac (Book Pro) and it works really well. It is quiet and fast. I especially like the double-sided scanning and multi-sheet capability. Note that on some pages with ink showing through to a blank side it will create "ghost" pages - but those are easily deleted in Preview with "Cmd-Shift-Delete". The software is good - it scans Text really well and passes it on behind the scenes to Abby FineReader PDF to create searchable PDF. That part takes a while - but most of the time you can keep scanning and it'll just process things in the background. It is a bit annoying that there are pop-ups all the time that interrupt whatever you're working on while it's processing document after document. I also tried a few photos and I am quite happy with the results. The only negative is that on the Mac one part of the bundled software (ScanIris) is not usable since it's a really old version - it requires Rosetta to be installed which I refuse to do (besides OS X Lion will no longer support Rosetta).

This is definitely a MAJOR upgrade from my old All in One HP Printer.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 11, 2011 7:57 AM PDT