Profile for MJG > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 43

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

MJG RSS Feed (Oregon, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Amazon Gift Card - E-mail - Happy Mother's Day (Butterflies)
Amazon Gift Card - E-mail - Happy Mother's Day (Butterflies)
Price: $50.00

5.0 out of 5 stars re: easy way to remember Mom, June 12, 2014
We like amazon e cards as a way to give a gift to a family member or friend especially since amazon has so many different kinds of things that one can buy on the site - just makes it easier for the 'giftee' to buy what they would like to have.

The Return of the King: Discourses on the Latter Days
The Return of the King: Discourses on the Latter Days
by Henry James Coleridge SJ
Price: $18.95
2 used & new from $18.95

5.0 out of 5 stars re: another important read for those wishing to understand the Great Apostasy from a Catholic viewpoint, June 7, 2014
Henry James Coleridge, like Newman and Cardinal Manning, was a convert to the Church from Anglicanism. He wrote many wonderful works, many of which are available at openlibrary.org and other places in e book format; however, this work is important for any Catholic who believes (as I do) that we are living through the prophesied Great Apostasy thanks to Vatican II. Father Coleridge's comment in this book that the men of the last days would lose the ability to recognize right and wrong and what sin is and have no discernment for anything - I am paraphrasing what he said - he said it far better than me - is spot on. Describes the generation of the world primed to follow Antichrist to a T.

The Apocalypse of St. John (Classic Reprint)
The Apocalypse of St. John (Classic Reprint)
by Elwood Sylvester Berry
Price: $7.95

5.0 out of 5 stars re: an outstanding book relating to the post Vatican II Catholic world, June 7, 2014
Father Berry's book correctly predicted the novus ordo missae as the work of the Antichrist - and this in 1921 when he wrote this work, which has been suppressed and out of print for many years. Thanks to openlibrary and others people who needed to have this book in their hands managed to get it into their hands. A very important read for anyone who wants to understand how the Catholic church changed so drastically after the Second Vatican Council and doesn't like the changes.

Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour, 44-Ounce Units (Pack of 4)
Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour, 44-Ounce Units (Pack of 4)
Offered by BioMarket
Price: $50.84
12 used & new from $32.04

5.0 out of 5 stars easy way to adapt recipes, May 25, 2014
I like the bobs all purpose - I get it either in the four packs here or find that I can look around at the local stores and sometimes find it in large 25 pound bags. With xanthan gum, it's easy to use to adapt quick bread recipes. I recently tried a gluten free batter dinner roll recipe online that the person posting didn't use xanthan gum - I was scared and 'guessed' the appropriate xanthan gum that bob's suggests on their website for the recipe - they turned out fab for Easter and even the wheat eaters loved them. i do agree that the flour can taste 'bitter' after several days which is why if I am the only person eating I tend to freeze some of the stuff I make and then defrost and eat it later - also, things like scones etc made with this are better toasted - but I find that works even for stuff made with wheat flour. i tend to prefer all my gluten free bread - no matter what recipe - rice flour etc - seems to hold up better toasted. I have happily used these to make the "Starbucks pumpkin scones" online - even made a vegan version - and no one knew the difference. I loved using it making the recipes I have tried in Nicole Hunn's original Gluten Free on a shoestring - my only change I made was doubling the salt in her chocolate chip cookie recipe there which I think 'balanced' out the beany/bitter taste after a few days - the salt helped balance it out. If you are adapting a recipe and can tolerate a bit more salt that is a suggestion that may work for you using this flour. I LOVE doing this in the old traditional Betty Crocker pie crust - I just add 1 tsp xanthan gum per cup of flour - for shortening I use the organic vegetable shortening made from palm oil from Spectrum and ice water - it turned out fab. ALL my family raved over that (2 cups GF bobs all purpose flour, 2 tsps xanthan gum, 2/3 plus 2 tablespoons spectrum shortening, 4-5 tablespoons ice or cold water - cut in your shortening into your dry bobs and xanthan gum mixed first together, then add shortening, water, get it to where it looks like a regular pie crust consistency - divide in half, roll out between waxed paper and voila - easy easy easy - you can chop this in half for a one pie crust) and it beats using eggs, vinegar etc making pie crust. It also works in the oil/milk pie crust recipes as well - just remember to do your 1 tsp xanthan gum per cup of flour. My best 'addition' to the pie crust recipe was cutting this flour down to 1 and 1/2 cups and doing the other 1/2 cup coconut flour -that 'lightened' up the taste and the spectrum shortening is fatty enough that the coconut flour did NOT absorb any more moisture than normal - usually you have to add moisture to the recipe but in the pie crust not. With halving the recipe you use 1/4 cup coconut flour if you want to give that a whirl.

Recent edit - I recently found out however that I am now intolerant of tapioca starch; and having the problems with the arthritis and fibro that I do, I am going to go completely the paleo or primal diet route and just completely cut out all grains. But for those who are not ready to take that step this flour will work for you as you perhaps want to ease off wheat and work your way to the other route.

Happy Holidays With Bing & Frank
Happy Holidays With Bing & Frank
DVD ~ Bing Crosby
34 used & new from $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars great holiday dvd, March 2, 2014
Saw this on a cable channel that DirecTV used to have - they shortly thereafter dropped it (can't recall the name of the channel); however we enjoyed it so much that we looked to see if anyone would replay it and they never did. Youtube had some posts of some bits but you couldn't view the entire thing so we went ahead and found the dvd and we really really love playing it for the holidays. Reminds you of a simpler time in the US when people were being kinder and more down to earth, less full of anger, etc.

Pere Lamy
Pere Lamy
by Comte Paul Biver
Price: $13.10
20 used & new from $4.50

5.0 out of 5 stars inspirational read, March 2, 2014
This review is from: Pere Lamy (Paperback)
I didn't know much about Pere Lamy but any Catholic wanting to know more about this wonderful priest will be inspired by Biver's account of what he knew about the saintly priest, including his relationships with angels, including his own guardian angel and the Angel Gabriel (who regularly engaged in conversations at night in the rectory with the saintly priest) as well as his experiences seeing our Lord, the Blessed Virgin and the torments he endured from the devil, as well as his regular work with his flock. Makes for positive thoughtful spiritual reading

Ultimate Sticker Collection: Angry Birds Star Wars II (ULTIMATE STICKER COLLECTIONS)
by DK Publishing
Price: $11.10
77 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars use the stickers for other art projects, March 2, 2014
My daughter had us order this for her. She loves Angry Birds and she loves the stickers in these books = however she doesn't use them the way the book suggests - she just utilizes the stickers for her own art projects that she loves to do.

Natural Factors Vitamin C Blueberry, Raspberry, Boysenberry Chewables 500mg Wafers, 180-Count
Price: $14.99
13 used & new from $14.73

5.0 out of 5 stars re: nice alternative to the other chewable C choices, March 2, 2014
My daughter takes these for her Vitamin C since they are chewable. Even though she has managed to master swallowing some pills the typical C pill with Rose hips isn't really accessible to her yet so these are a really nice alternative.

Humphrey's Book of Fun Fun Fun
Humphrey's Book of Fun Fun Fun
by Betty G. Birney
Price: $6.29
62 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars it's ok, March 2, 2014
My daughter wanted this but then decided she didn't like it when we got it since it wasn't a story book, even though we explained that to her when she had us order it! It has activities and things of that nature in it.

Humphrey's World of Pets
Humphrey's World of Pets
by Betty G. Birney
Price: $9.39
78 used & new from $1.85

5.0 out of 5 stars nice addition to the Humphrey series, March 2, 2014
Bought this for my daughter. Am rating it off a 9 year old's opinion since the only Humphrey experience I get is reading the books with her for reading.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5