Profile for En Sabah Nur > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 13

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

En Sabah Nur RSS Feed (Philly, PA)

Page: 1 | 2
The Collection
The Collection
DVD ~ Josh Stewart
Price: $5.00
47 used & new from $2.06

4.0 out of 5 stars I loved it!, April 8, 2013
This review is from: The Collection (DVD)
I personally thought this movie was great. There were no real dull moments in the film and plenty of gore for people who are fans of it. There were also some clever, and interesting kill scenes. Definitely worth a watch.

I must also say, some reviews I read on here and other sites just baffle me at times. Here's some pointer....

Stop over-analyzing every movie that comes out.
Stop comparing movies with other movies.
Stop setting the expectation bar too high before you see a movie.
Stop demanding character development, reasoning, etc.

For the love of god, just go into a movie with no expectations and try to watch it for a cheap thrill. Setting your expectation too high for anything in life is going to lead to a let down most times.

Also, everyone wants to know "why". Why is he killing? Why this? Why that? Use your given imagination. Did you ever think that he just enjoys killing people? Did every killer in history have a definitive reason why they do what they do?

Some people are just destined to mind-screw everything in life. I guess it's just the way it goes. For the rest... I recommend this movie. It's not winning any awards. It's not going to blow you away. It's not going to answer everything. But, if you let all that go, you may just enjoy a movie from time to time, and this one is definitely enjoyable.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 10, 2013 5:12 PM PDT

In War & Pieces
In War & Pieces
22 used & new from $8.18

5.0 out of 5 stars thank you..., December 29, 2011
This review is from: In War & Pieces (Audio CD)
So many bands take a downward spiral at some point in their careers, but albums like this give me faith in music. Sodom has been around for about 30 years and they are still creating, quite simply, good music. That seems to be a trend with German thrash metal from the 80's. Excellent album straight through. I highly recommend it.

Outer Isolation
Outer Isolation
9 used & new from $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I didn't want to believe the hype.., December 28, 2011
This review is from: Outer Isolation (Audio CD)
Like the title says, I usually find myself let down by bands (or anything for that matter) that have too much hype revolving around them. Especially when it's early in their career. Now, this is their only album I own. I downloaded it on a whim because it was cheap. I must say that I was blown away. Technical, uber fast, sci-fi thrash... what more can you ask for??? Not many bands in the nu-thrash scene stand out and set themselves apart from the rest, but Vektor sure does. I described them to a friend as Death meets Kreator on speed and steroids. And that is still a vague description. Like I said before, they do stand out with their own thrash sound. I will be downloading Black Future asap, and I recommend this cd for any thrash fan who wants a little something different and is tired of the same regurgitated music. Do it.

Hunter (Limited Deluxe Edition) (CD+DVD)
Hunter (Limited Deluxe Edition) (CD+DVD)
Price: $13.99
38 used & new from $4.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, September 29, 2011
Well... who didn't see the mixed reviews coming on this one. I enjoy when a band, such as Mastodon, or Opeth, steps outside of the box and creates a different/concept album. It's a different case when you talk about Mastodon and Opeth (this will be the last time I mention Opeth since it is a Mastodon review). Mastodon created this album because they chose to. Does this mean you will never hear a Remission, or Leviathan style album again? No. It's a good point in a band's career when they can sit down and create an album they really want to do, regardless of whatever negative flack they know they will receive from fans. When I said this was I different case... their change in style for this album is by no means a step in the wrong direction, or any kind of dead end of their older style. What I mean is... can Metallica ever make a Master again? Absolutely not. However, Mastodon can create another heavy, weird album again. So for any of the faithfully hopeless fans who cling onto a band's single sound, or album, there may be hope that you will get what you want eventually.

As far as the album itself... more clean vocals and a much more simplistic song structure can be heard. Each track is rather short as well. Yet the album contains their signature guitar noodling, excellent drumming and some of the strongest vocal melodies I have heard yet on a Mastodon album. Is this their best album? No, but it is a great album. Each Mastodon album stands out in its own right. I can't say any album sound very similar(well, maybe Leviathan and Blood a bit).

Bottom line... just buy it. Give it a few spins and conjure up your own opinion. It's worth it.

21st Century Breakdown
21st Century Breakdown
Offered by Great Price Media
Price: $8.45
163 used & new from $0.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I though., May 22, 2009
This review is from: 21st Century Breakdown (Audio CD)
Like many other people in my age range, Dookie was one of the first albums I owned. I've always loved Green Day, and each time they put out an album, I'm at the store that day buying it. Let's get something straight..... everyone knows that "die-hard Green Day fans" are going to slam this album. They could have produced an album that sounded like Dookie to the T and people would still slam it. Bottom line.... when I first listened to it, I was like "This cd is alright." So I gave it a better chance and listened to it a few more times. It definately grew on me. Unlike most people, I am a fan of bands evolving and trying concept-type albums (like Mastodon's Crack The Skye and Face to Face's Ignorance Is Bliss). I have grown to really love this cd. I don't think it sounds anything like a continuation of American Idiot either; like a read in a few reviews. This album has far more slower and experimental tracks. My favorites so far are 21st Century Breakdown, See the Light, The Static Age and Murder City. When you first listen to this album, please have an open mind. Don't expect the same sound as American Idiot, or any of their previous albums; although it haas some similar parts. I'm just sick of people nagging about bands changing. It's going to happen whether you like it, or not. I can't think of one long-standing band who hasn't evolved in some way, or changed their style throughout their careers. So cut everyone a break, keep you B.S. to yourself and give it a shot.

Go Crazy! Throw Fireworks
Go Crazy! Throw Fireworks

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow.... I can't believe no one wrote a review on this yet., March 24, 2009
All I can say is this album didn't disappoint me whatsoever. Their main claim to fame is that Ex-BoySetsFire singer, Nathan Gray, fronts this band... who happens to be my all time favorite band. Most spin-off groups, or solo projects you see coming out of the punk/indie scene go a little softer and the big thing now seems to be doing solo folk/blues albums. Don't get me wrong, I love that whole "movement," but judging from this fact, I was expecting something really slow coming from Nathan Gray. On the contrary, The Casting Out's first records reminds you of BoySetsFire's more alternative, punk songs. Each song has a perfect upbeat tempo, barring the track "The Ebbing of the Tide," which happens to be an amazing slow song. I played this album for a bunch of my buddies who were semi-BoySetsFire fans and they fell in love with it within the first track.... yet again, expecting something much slower. As far as ordering this album, I have no idea why CDNOW only offers it used, so for a small band like these guys who aren't making a killing and just doing what they love.... order it from Failsafe Records website. It's only $10.

And for a lil' more info.... here's the track listing.

1. Quixote's Last ride
6. The Ebbing of the Tide
7. Liar
8. These Alterations
9. Just Pretending
10. May I Have This Dance?
11. A Sort of Homecoming
12. dial 9-1...And Wait

Wrath (Deluxe)
Wrath (Deluxe)
Price: $7.29
34 used & new from $2.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Enough!, February 24, 2009
This review is from: Wrath (Deluxe) (Audio CD)
For the past month I've been reading early reviews of this album, and it has been getting a mixed reception. To be honest, I place this album in between Sacrament and Ashes of the Wake. It's still got a raw sound (nothing like their earlier stuff) and it has the "radio-friendly" sound of Sacrament. I know this is going to dissappoint die-hard fans of their earlier albums. I classify myself as one of those fans, but I'm not dissappointed at all. The sad fact is that bands evolve. This is far less of a dissappointment like The Haunted's latest effort..... ugh. We live in a terrible time where bands just can't seem to hold on to what made them amazing, and they lose their overall brutal sound. Wrath holds onto that quality well enough. As far as I'm concerned, nothing will ever be as great as Ashes of the Wake, or As the Palaces Burns (which would be their best album if the recording quality was up to par with Ashes), but Wrath will definately stay in my cd player for the next month or so. It's a solid album and worth a chance. I can tell it's one of those albums that needs to grow on you. I will always support LOG and in my eyes, they are one of the most consistent metal bands out there.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 30, 2013 7:07 AM PDT

Goo Goo Dolls
Goo Goo Dolls
12 used & new from $17.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, January 27, 2009
This review is from: Goo Goo Dolls (Audio CD)
I've been looking for this cd for a few years now at a reasonable price. Most times you see it range from $50-$80..... which is ridiculous. I managed to score it in a 10 cd junk lot on ebay for $10. What a treat that was and it was well worth the wait. This album is completely different that what one might expect coming from the Goo Goo Dolls. Most notably, the bassist (Robby Takac) is the main singer on this album, as well as many of their earlier efforts. If you don't like his vocals on the few songs he sings on newer material, then this is definately not for you. Not to mention, all of the songs have a fast-tempo punk/rock/thrash feel...... yes I said thrash. Thrash and punk are highly influential to eachother. To me, this album is well worth the buy. I wouldn't pay $50 for it, but it's a defininate for your collection. Give it a listen on YouTube if you can... I recommend Torn Apart, Beat Me and Scream.

Violent by Nature
Violent by Nature
4 used & new from $25.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A thrash essential..., January 2, 2009
This review is from: Violent by Nature (Audio CD)
I consider this one of those 80's/90's thrash cds that are a must-have for any collection. I love it! I don't own Socialized Hate yet, but according to other reviews, this is the better of the two cds that Atrophy released. It's quite a gem, and the good thing..... you can still get it at a reasonable price (unlike bands like Exumer, Dark Angel, & Mandator). The entire album has a great fast tempo. The favorite for most is the track "Puppies and Friends," but like I said.... it's an all around solid album. Worth picking up for under $15.

Death Magnetic
Death Magnetic
118 used & new from $0.24

4.0 out of 5 stars Not too shabby..., November 25, 2008
This review is from: Death Magnetic (Audio CD)
People may say I'm crazy, but I think this cd is tied, if not slightly better, than the Black Album. As far as I'm concerned, the Black Album was their downfall. Don't get me wrong....I still love the Black Album. At least these songs are something I can look forward to watching them play live. I can't say the same for Load, Reload & St. Anger (which was just a shame). Death Magnetic is their best release in years. Lets be honest with ourselves.....we won't see anything like the Master of Puppets era ever again, but this is the best that we can hope for. My favorite song on here is "All Nightmare Long." They threw in a few good, "old school" thrash riffs that are half-decent. I definately recommend this album with an open listening heart. I loved it at first listen, but some of my friends took a while to get into it. Give it a few tries and it grows on you. METAL UP YOUR....!!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 25, 2008 2:10 PM PST