Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Gear Up for Football Baby Sale
Profile for Matthew A. Steven > Reviews

Browse

Matthew A. Steven's Profile

Customer Reviews: 27

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Matthew A. Steven RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Hack/Slash Omnibus, Vol. 4
Hack/Slash Omnibus, Vol. 4
by Tim Seeley
Price: $26.33
36 used & new from $19.32

5.0 out of 5 stars The series gets back on track., July 21, 2015
Pretty much all of the existing reviews on this volume weren't very helpful to me; "it's good, I like this series" isn't enough of a reassurance to me that the series turns around after the lackluster (well, kinda bad) 3rd omnibus.

Well, it has. A return to the status quo set by the first and second omnibus if I may say. In fact, so far in the series I believe this was the most entertaining to read. Cat Curio returns out of nowhere, and is now one of my favorite characters. There's a lot more focus on sexy women (like there wasn't already) and the overall action, violence, and comedy that you'd come to expect from the series. The drama is still there, but there's generally more fun.

The majority of the art this time around is great, with the very final issue in the book unfortunately ending on a low note in that regard. However, this book has one of my favourite art styles so far: the segment by Ariel Zucker-Brull. This series has been somewhat of a whore as far as the number of various artists working on it, so it's nice when you have an omnibus that generally hits a certain quality standard.

Overall, great. Looking forward to #5.

Tech Armor Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 High Defintion (HD) Clear Screen Protectors - Maximum Clarity and Touchscreen Accuracy [2-Pack] Lifetime Warranty
Offered by Tech Armor
Price: $7.95

3.0 out of 5 stars It's 2 pack, not 3 like the title states., May 5, 2015
Ad title says "[3-Pack]" however description says "Two (2) Screen Protectors".

I was expecting 3 but got 2 screen protectors. This would have influenced my purchase decision.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 21, 2015 3:22 PM PDT

CanaKit Raspberry Pi 2 Complete Starter Kit with WiFi (Latest Version Raspberry Pi 2 + WiFi + Original Preloaded 8GB SD Card + Case + Power Supply + HDMI Cable)
Offered by CanaKit
Price: $129.99
3 used & new from $64.95

5.0 out of 5 stars I will recommend buying this kit over scavenging for the pieces yourself., February 8, 2015
Note: I bought this kit at the 55 dollar mark. The original 100 dollars is too much.

This kit is great. If you need everything provided in the kit, it's cheaper than going out and buying the individual pieces on your own (especially the very well designed case; good cases + shipping can get more expensive than the PI itself). The SD card also comes with various different operating system images for you to select which one to install, which saves a little bit of hassle for people who know how to do it, and does the job for people who don't know.

If I ever need a 4th Pi, I don't think I'll buy it without a kit like this.

Boost Nutritional Energy Drink, Rich Chocolate, 8 Ounce Bottle (Pack of 24)
Boost Nutritional Energy Drink, Rich Chocolate, 8 Ounce Bottle (Pack of 24)
Offered by Best BargainDeals
Price: $41.99
4 used & new from $41.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems to boost concentration for about 20 minutes., February 5, 2015
First time I drank this stuff I noticed an almost immediate effect. My mood improved and I could concentrate on the task I was doing. I'm not sure how good all that sugar and corn syrup really is for you, but I found it interesting that this drink does affect my mind-frame in a noticeable way.

I don't buy it often, but for the past few weeks I've been drinking one of these a day along with light exercise and I feel generally more calm (less anxious) and don't have headaches as often. There are a lot of variables to the health equation. In my experience this seems to help, but then again I wouldn't recommend adding an extra 20 grams of sugar to your diet if it already consists of an infatuation with carbs/sweets.

AKIBA'S TRIP: Undead & Undressed - PlayStation Vita
AKIBA'S TRIP: Undead & Undressed - PlayStation Vita
Price: $29.99
59 used & new from $22.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It's OK, you're not a pervert for playing this., August 17, 2014
This game is exactly what you would expect from reading the premise. It's a fun brawler that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Gameplay
This game is mission-based. You have the main story missions and the optional side-missions. You travel across a map which consists of 15 or so different areas of Akihabara, all of which you can fast travel to, and when you enter these areas the main story mission starts/progresses. One caveat I've found is that entering an area where the main mission takes place can cause you to fail the side-mission you are currently undergoing, so you have to be careful. Most missions consist of combat. Some are purely dialogue based. There are also 4 heroines you can attempt a romantic relationship with (and corresponding game endings).

Combat
The goal of combat is to remove all of your enemies' hat, shirt, and pants in order to expose them to the sun and make them burn up (because they're vampires). Funny enough, this mechanic doesn't change when fighting normal humans. When you strip them they just act embarrassed and run away. The combat controls feel clunky to me at times. Movement with the analogue stick is a bit sporadic and if you're trying to target a specific enemy it's difficult because the auto lock-on system isn't very smart. Nevertheless, it's fun chaos, and the clothing removal mechanic is very rewarding (not specifically in a perverted way, it's just fun to do).

Story
Not much to say here. The story assumes you're a male (e.g. you have a little sister who calls you bro, etc), and thus you must play as a male character the first run through. The story complies to your typical anime tropes and you won't be on the edge of your seat if you've seen a billion anime before. Some characters poke fun at themselves and break the fourth wall. All in all entertaining.

Voice
The English voice acting cast is awesome. I felt no need to switch to the Japanese audio (which is an option). I especially loved the little sister's voice actor and all of her silly "bro" puns like "broccoli" and "brovert". Some of the English voice actors do very well with the Japanese names, others are still a little bit cringe-worthy, but passable.

Summary
It's a game that's fun for the sake of fun. If you're considering picking this up (as I would assume so if you're reading reviews) I don't think you'll be disappointed.

4 in 1 Programmable Fully Backlit MCE & XBox Remote with External USB IR Receiver

3.0 out of 5 stars Kinda sucky, July 19, 2014
The main reason I don't really like this remote is the buttons are crap. They're small enough that they feel like little spikes on your fingers, and when pressed there's no clear haptic feedback on what point they've been registered. They shift around when you press them. The arrow keys are also too close to the OK button, so I end up accidentally pressing that as well (and I have really small fingers!)

Another irritation is the programming of this aspect doesn't work very well. On average it takes me 20 tries to get a single button to successfully program, if I can get it at all. I've tried different distances, angles, dark rooms, nothing seems to work consistently.

If you're looking for a programmable media center remote, I suggest look elsewhere. Sometimes cheap programmable remotes are alright, other times it's worth the extra money.

FINAL FANTASY X|X-2 HD Remaster - PlayStation Vita
FINAL FANTASY X|X-2 HD Remaster - PlayStation Vita
Offered by The Best Only
Price: $27.61
48 used & new from $20.28

4.0 out of 5 stars Booo, March 21, 2014
Final Fantasy X2 is an included digital download. I did not read. I was expecting to own a physical copy.

LEGO Creator Volkswagen T1 Camper Van 10220
LEGO Creator Volkswagen T1 Camper Van 10220
Price: $119.95
201 used & new from $114.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Really cool model, February 15, 2014
In case you can't tell from the picture, this model is not minifigure size. Minifigures look like the size of 5 year olds compared to this model.

Nevertheless this is a very interesting model. It keeps drawing my eyes when they cross over it, and then I want to go over and open/close the doors etc. The inside is pretty detailed, and it's overall well built. The roof intentionally comes off so you can get a better view, and because of this I do not recommend picking it up from the top.

No pieces were missing.

dreamGEAR Comfort Grip for PlayStation Vita (PCH-1000)
dreamGEAR Comfort Grip for PlayStation Vita (PCH-1000)

4.0 out of 5 stars No matter what other reviewers have said, this is the most comfortable Vita grip hands down., February 9, 2014
I have tried the PDP Trigger Grip, the CTA Digital grip, and the Nyko power grip. This one wins the comfort battle hands down. Some of those other grips were actually WORSE than holding a bare Vita.

If comfort were the only factor in buying a grip this would have 5 stars.

So on to the cons:
1. It is loose on the top and bottom, but this isn't a big deal. It's impossible for the Vita to fall out of this grip, so it does provide some good drop protection.
2. The face buttons are more difficult to press as you would expect from something that adds a thick layer of skin to the Vita.
3. It does not natively charge in the Vita Cradle sold by Sony because the plug does not reach high enough. I was able to modify the cradle by removing the rubber separator and prompting the plug up, making the Vita fit snugly in the cradle with this grip and able to charge. So not really a con if you're willing to spend 2 minutes modifying your cradle.
4. The grip does not cover the triggers as the picture entails.

Monoprice Wireless HDMI Extender up to 65ft
Monoprice Wireless HDMI Extender up to 65ft

2.0 out of 5 stars When it works it looks great., January 6, 2014
The transmitter and receiver are 12 feet away from each other with a direct line of sight. After 5-20 minutes the video suddenly turns super pixelated, like literally 12 rows of pixel noise...mostly green. It looked so terrifying I thought my graphics card was overheating. But unplugging/replugging either the hdmi or power in the transmitter fixes the issue... I have to unplug one or the other or it just stays a pixelated mess. I know it's not the receiver because I can use the remote to open the menu on it. So... I guess I have a bad transmitter that overheats?

Returning...