Profile for existential1 > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 20

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

existential1 RSS Feed (Brooklyn, NY)

Page: 1 | 2
The No OM Zone
The No OM Zone
DVD ~ Kimberly Fowler
Price: $14.95
3 used & new from $12.98

1.0 out of 5 stars Both Too Fast and Too Easy, January 28, 2014
This review is from: The No OM Zone (DVD)
This DVD is pointless. It claims to have three 15-minute yoga sessions, but each session begins and ends the same way, so actually each section is 10 minutes long.

There is virtually NO strength or flexibility training in these short programs. In yoga you need to hold each pose for five to ten breaths, but Kimberly holds each pose for about 2 seconds. Those who are new to yoga will get lost, and those who know yoga will be bored. She suggests you pause the DVD if you want to hold a pose, but who wants to do yoga with a remote in hand?

On another note, Kimberly Fowler has had waaaaay too much work done on her face. It is a creepy botox nightmare that I do not enjoy watching while doing yoga.

I have been doing yoga for 15 years and like the strength and flexibility it can build, but don't care for the chakra talk and chanting, so I thought I would like this video. It is a definite pass. Don't bother. Only the most out of shape person would get any benefit from this DVD.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 17, 2014 4:05 AM PDT

The Albigenses, A Romance: Volume IV
The Albigenses, A Romance: Volume IV
by Charles Robert Maturin
Price: $24.10
15 used & new from $17.08

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad photocopy., December 7, 2013
This is a terrible photo-reproduction. The text is almost unreadable and the book format is HUGE and cumbersome to carry. Such a waste of money, yet the only affordable option of obtaining this text!

Clean -- Expanded Edition: The Revolutionary Program to Restore the Body's Natural Ability to Heal Itself
by Alejandro Junger
Price: $10.90
150 used & new from $3.69

2.0 out of 5 stars There are better, cheaper options, December 7, 2013
This is basically a less-extreme version of 21 pounds in 21 days, and is almost a direct copy of the Virgin Diet. However, the Virgin Diet doesn't try to get you to spend hundreds of dollars on her website, so in that sense it's more like 21 lbs in 21 days. You don't need to buy this book--there's free downloadable pages on his website that have the same information. You can also get free recipes there. So skip spending hundreds of dollars on his kits and just eat sensibly. No need to starve yourself using powder drink mixes--we all know that starving yourself for three weeks will only cause you to lose weight dramatically then put it all back on later.

Picasso: The Man and His Work - Part 1 (1881-1937)
Picasso: The Man and His Work - Part 1 (1881-1937)
DVD ~ Pablo Picasso
Price: $17.98
26 used & new from $3.50

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring and Vague, September 8, 2013
This video does the seemingly impossible--makes the life and work of Picasso seem incredibly boring. There is virtually no biography and what is given is quite general. The life of Picasso is glossed over and few concrete details are given. Instead, most of the video consists of still shots of Picasso's paintings over time, yet most of the shots crop the images and eliminate important details in his works. Few images are discussed, instead they are simply shown for a few seconds along with the date and title. I am an art teacher and know if I show this video in class my students will revolt--it is so dull and seems to have little point. The maker, Edward Quinn, was friends with Picasso and seems like he didn't want to do anything that might reveal anything about Picasso's life. This video is dull dull dull.

Jillian Michaels Extreme Shed & Shred
Jillian Michaels Extreme Shed & Shred
DVD ~ Jillian Michaels
Price: $9.79
82 used & new from $3.26

3.0 out of 5 stars One of Jillian's least annoying work-outs, July 24, 2013
My biggest problem with Jillian Michaels is how much she talks. She's so persistent in her philosophy it's like taking an annoying class in exercise brainwashing. She doesn't get as annoying on this video, though her "pep talk" during final relaxation gets a bit shrill. She needs to tone it down a notch, but great work-out with multiple levels.

Women's Health: The Wedding Workout
Women's Health: The Wedding Workout
DVD ~ Marie Forleo
Offered by Relish Books & Toys
Price: $7.95
53 used & new from $1.62

3.0 out of 5 stars Good beginner workout, July 15, 2013
This is a good, gentle workout for people new to exercise. Veterans will find it too basic and boring. This is what I do when I'm tired and want an easy day. If I want to make it more challenging I strap on ankle and wrist weights and use heavier weights when lifting.

Vegan on the Cheap
Vegan on the Cheap
by Robin Robertson
Price: $11.96
108 used & new from $4.13

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but boring recipes, July 15, 2013
This review is from: Vegan on the Cheap (Paperback)
This books lives up to its promises--follow it and you will easily eat for under $100 a week. However, the recipes are heavily reliant on pasta and beans, which makes them quite redundant after a while. Some of the deserts are nice. But most of the recipes taste like what they are: cheap.

The Virgin Diet: Drop 7 Foods, Lose 7 Pounds, Just 7 Days
The Virgin Diet: Drop 7 Foods, Lose 7 Pounds, Just 7 Days
by J. J. Virgin
Price: $14.66
188 used & new from $5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing, January 19, 2013
I am a very healthy, active person who had been a vegetarian for 15 years. Since age 16 I weighed 115 lbs (I am 33 yrs old and 5' 2"). Over the past ten years my weight kept creeping up and despite eating a very low calorie diet and exercising three times a week, I was eventually at 130.

Now, my entire life, even as a child, I suffered from digestive problems and constipation. When I became a vegetarian at 18 I became very gassy. I thought that would go away with time, but it got worse. To the point by the time I was 30 it was embarrassing to be in public. I grew up on a dairy farm and began eating lots of soy when I became a vegetarian. Guess what? I'm dairy and soy intolerant. No wonder my body was all messed up! Another thing that has gone away are my headaches. Even as a child I suffered from frequent headaches--but no more! I haven't had one in MONTHS.

I LOVED cheese and soy. But I love even more not sounding like a French horn nor straining in the bathroom every day for the rest of my life. Thanks to this book I am down to 115 lbs again and have begun eating healthy-sourced fish and chicken.

One critique of J.J.'s website, however, is that she offers her own shake mix, which has SUGAR in it--something she goes on and on about avoiding in her book. There is a fabulous vegan protein shake mix called Vega One. It uses Stevia and is DELICIOUS! Check it out! And a critique of some of the recipes in her book is she suggests waaaay too much oil. I half or even quarter the oil in most of the recipes. There is no reason to saute spinach in 4 Tbs of coconut oil when one will suffice. I would, however, love to see an entire cookbook dedicated to recipes that fit her diet.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 22, 2013 12:15 PM PST

21 Pounds in 21 Days: The Martha's Vineyard Diet Detox
21 Pounds in 21 Days: The Martha's Vineyard Diet Detox
by Roni Deluz
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.19
105 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Irresponsible, Unsustainable, and Dangerous, December 24, 2012
Of course you'll lose weight if you follow this plan. You're eating about 500 calories a day, and that's if you gorge on soup.

"Dr." Roni advises people to eat no protein and no fat for 21 days, plus consume dangerously high levels of Vitamins A and K. This is DANGEROUS.

The weight you lose will go right back once you start eating 2000 calories a day, like most humans are supposed to.

Is this why you're supposed to do this once a year--to take off the weight again? Gaining and losing 20 lbs a year is terrible for your body, especially your skin. It will cause wrinkles and loosen the elasticity of your skin.

I gave it two stars instead of one because some of the tea recipes are useful.

Women's Health: Perfect Body Workout
Women's Health: Perfect Body Workout
DVD ~ Amy Dixon
Offered by Fitness Fusion
Price: $14.64
26 used & new from $2.52

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Amy's Best for Women's Health, November 4, 2012
I have Amy's other two videos for Women's Health and really like them. They're fun and challenging and Amy's not annoying like other fitness guides. Her talking is to give instruction, not to yell at you like Gillian Michaels.

However, this video is both waaay easier (even though it's longer) and waaay more confusing than her other videos. At the end I wasn't even sweating. During the cardio and strength portion she seemed determine to do as many short complicated movements as possible. You'd do eight counts on each side and then you'd never do it again. Her other videos have more plyometrics and are easier to follow, so you really get into it and burn many more calories.

I'd recommend her other two. This one isn't worth it.

Page: 1 | 2