Profile for Timothy Hayes > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Timothy Hayes RSS Feed (Eugene, OR)

Gran Cocina Latina: The Food of Latin America
Gran Cocina Latina: The Food of Latin America
by Maricel E. Presilla
Price: $34.84
73 used & new from $24.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible tour of Latin cuisine, September 29, 2012
This book is absolutely amazing. I cannot recommend it highly enough. I have other books on Mexican cuisine (Kennedy and Bayless) and a couple of Caribbean cookbook, but this book covers the varied cuisines of the Latin world with such incredible detail that it is easily my favorite on the subject. I had intitially imagined it to be like a Latin Larousse, but with its straightforward style and infectious enthusiasm for the cuisine, it is its own beast, and a beautiful one at that! While it does not offer a complete view of the cuisines of any one country (a little disappointed to not have a pipian verde recipe), I can't imagine any book coming as close to doing so as this one does.

The recipes are straightforward and presented with introductions that makes them hard to resist. Ever since I received the book I've been scouring the internet for different rare ingredients(Chiles chilhuacles, chiles mirasol, chicha jora, to name a few), but the book overs good substitutions for ingredients that you may have difficulty procuring outside of their native regions (I'm looking at you, chilhuacles negros!). I've already made a Peruvian adobo from the book and just finished grinding together chiles pequin and cocoa nibs to create in incredible Mayan seasoning brick that can be grated onto dishes as needed. I'm also gathering up the ingredients to make the epic Oaxacan mole negro for Halloween (I'm absolutely fascinated by the prospect of burning a bunch of chile seeds to carbon and using them to color the sauce- noxious fumes be damned!) Who knows, by next summer I may even be planting my own selection of chiles and herbs that I can make more of these fantastic recipes.

If you have any interest in authentic Latin cuisine, or are passionate about the art of cooking in any way, you need to buy this book. It will surely earn a prominent place amongst your cookbooks and on your kitchen counters.

Indigo: A Film Of Faith, Family & An Extraordinary Child
Indigo: A Film Of Faith, Family & An Extraordinary Child
DVD ~ Various
Price: $20.68
63 used & new from $0.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Hilarious, December 15, 2008
Now, I do not for one second believe any of the hokum surrounding "Indigo Children". It's a bunch of New-Age-nonsense that is probably going to cause some serious issues for the unfortunate children of True Believers. That said, this movie is one of the most hilarious I have ever seen. From the over-serious tone to the laugh out loud dialog, this movie will have you rolling with laughter! Exchanges like this: (after the Lil' Indigo touches a woman with breast cancer) Gramps: "Are you telling me that she cured your cancer?" Woman: "I wouldn't be surprised." Priceless! The honesty! The pure emotion! The insanity of the whole damn idea! Bloody brilliant!

The production quality is pretty high, the pace of the film is good, and the unique combination of melodrama, spiritual wackiness and unintentional humor will satisfy even the most critical viewer.

If you're a believer, well, then maybe you'll enjoy the film as a serious exploration of an incredible phenomenon. Good luck with that. If you're not, then you will love the laugh-out-loud earnestness of this charming bit of woo cinema. Rent it today, you'll be glad you did!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 15, 2011 7:28 AM PST