Profile for Chris Matthews > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 218

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Chris Matthews RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Big Hero 6 11" Deluxe Flying Baymax with 4.5" Hiro Action Figures
Big Hero 6 11" Deluxe Flying Baymax with 4.5" Hiro Action Figures
Price: $29.99
183 used & new from $24.47

1.0 out of 5 stars Figure does not sound like Iron Man, December 16, 2014
I picked up this Disney Marked Six Iron Man figure for my nine-year old granddaughter since she is a big “Avenger” fan. Particularly, the Blacked Widow. However, I could not find an action figure of that spider, so the Iron Man figure was the next best thing.
PoPah (my life partner) said he could catch a real live Blacked Widow in the tool shed where she sleeps on her visits if she really wanted on. Her mother does not allow pets in the house, so it was for the best we didn’t go down that road again. The raccoon incident earlier this year after seeing “The Guardian of the Galaxies” had everyone in the family pretty upset. Some are still in stitches. Not from laughing mind you, but from viral animal bites. We never did find that raccoon, but we sometimes hear what may be it digging through our trash cans behind our house late at night.
As for the figure, it is pretty big. We are sure she will like it even if he does not really sound like Iron Man. With technology the way it is today, it seems like it would not be that hard to make things sound like they are supposed to. My iPhone 2 does a considerable more that this electronic figure. The upside of this figure is that it does come with that kid Hero from one of those Iron Man movies. PoPah and I were fortunate to see it on the television the other night after our Zumba class.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 24, 2014 9:37 PM PST

DC Collectibles Batman 75th Anniversary Action Figure 4-Pack Set 1
DC Collectibles Batman 75th Anniversary Action Figure 4-Pack Set 1
Offered by Animewild
Price: $74.14
17 used & new from $66.14

1.0 out of 5 stars Batman, December 9, 2014
To many Batmans.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 24, 2014 5:39 AM PST

Guardians of the Galaxy Marvel Legends LOOSE Build-A-Figure Groot
Guardians of the Galaxy Marvel Legends LOOSE Build-A-Figure Groot
Offered by Collectors Rebellion
Price: $129.95
3 used & new from $99.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead wood, December 9, 2014
"I am Groot" is a memorable quote oft-repeated by Groot, a sentient alien character embodied in the shape of a tree and member of Marvel's "Guardians of the Galaxy". It was a phrase that resonated with the kids from the orhpanage I took to see the movie with. Although I was aware of Groot's fate in the movie, I opted to not prepare them for the death of Groot. It seemed to be more harmful than helpful to ironically shield the kids from his excruciating demise of his plunging protective fiery coccoon.
I had received word that the Christian college kids who did several fundraiser activities in the community to raise money for buy holiday presents for the kids at the orphange this year. This piqued my interest. The next night while putting in my court-ordered hours at the orphanage, happened upon the stash of presents in a just outside in the backyard within a locked walk-in storage container.Once I was able to get the door open, I discoved at wrapped presents. With no names on them, I could not help but wonder who they were for or what was inside. It was a clear oversight from the doners to whom had worked so hard for the kids.
It would serve everyone well if I found out what was inside some of them before my shift was up and put a name or two on them.
After a couple hours of opening the presents, I came to the hard realization that I did not know most of the kids' names. It would be futile to attempt to label them, let alone rewrap them.
Several of the presents did interest more that I believe any of the orphaned kids would be able to appreciate. Instead of squandering a gift or few, I decided to keep them for myself. Besides, I needed a new XBox ONE since I broke my other one last month when I tripped on my cat carrying a plate of nachos and landed on the XBox.
One interesting aquisition was all the "Guardians" action figures that came with build a figure Groot pieces.
Recalling the day I took the kids to see the movie and they cried when he died. It was clear that was a toy they could appreciate. The figure could be used as a model for more of them to build their own Groot figure.
First thing in the morning on the next day, I went to the park with a cardboarrd box and collected as many sticks as I could. As of this writing, I am unsure if all the "sticks" I collected were actually sticks, but I did the best I could since I was in a bit of a rush. Once the homeless people start to wake, they can get pretty aggressive.
I wrapped the box and wrote "for everyone" on it and put it back in the storage container. Once everyone goes to sleep, I am going to look through a few more of those unmarked presents. I could use a nice winter coat and some gloves.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 18, 2014 7:27 AM PST

NECA Planet of the Apes Classic Series 2 Gorilla Soldier Infantry Exclusive 7" Action Figure 2-Pack
Offered by Grendel's Cave
Price: $45.00
11 used & new from $37.50

1.0 out of 5 stars "Get your stinkin hands off me you damn dirty man!!", December 1, 2014
This is a little upsetting seeing this set online for such a low price.
Last week, I was out with my three boys hunting for Hot Wheels at the local swap meet here in Southern California. My oldest boy, now being in college, is President and First Chair of the Hot Wheels Collector's Society Local 362. Truly, my pride and joy to rise up in the ranks so high at such a young age.
It would be great if I could take all the credit for an achievement like that, but he had a little help from a neighbor down the street a few years ago. Together, they would spend hours and often days on "hunting" trips for Hot Wheels. It was time that I could not dedicate to my own son due to other priorities in life. Mind you, this was during the whole "dot com" boom of the mid to late nineties. I was heavily involved in then booming magnet, pager and international calling cards market.
Fast forward to today, I have sought to make up for lost time and spend as much time with my boys as I can.
Shortly after lunch, all three of my boys became ill from eating the Mexican food sold from a trailer in the open air food court by the dumpsters and needed to lay down. Conviently, there was a used mattress wholesaler nearby that I took my sons to lay down.
I figured it was either the hot sauce or the meat used for the food laying in the open tray out in the sun that caused them to break out in sweats. With my limited medical training I learned during my service in the Salvation Army and watching 'Scrubs', I undressed them to a comfortable level and tucked them in.
With a few hours for them to break their fevers, I decided to continue to wander the swap meet in search of some treasures. That is when I came across this two pack of figures. This became the greatest find of the day. The dealer was selling them for a hundred and fifty dollars, but I was able to haggle him down to one-forty.
Similiar to when a man hits a hole in one on the golf course on Sunday, but noone is there to share the joy because they are all at church, I too felt like this man. It was a lone pleasure with nobody in particular in the area to share it with.
My fondness for the 'Planet of the Apes' goes back to when my boys were younger and we would faithfully watch the live action television show and cartoon series at home while their mom Ron was working her second job on the weekends. Eventually, she left me

To be continued.. .
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 8, 2014 5:07 PM PST

The Art of Big Hero 6
The Art of Big Hero 6
by Jessica Julius
Price: $30.21
24 used & new from $24.36

1.0 out of 5 stars Baymax doesn't die in this book like he does in the movie is what I hear, October 29, 2014
This review is from: The Art of Big Hero 6 (Hardcover)
This book does not make any sense to me since I have not seen the movie.
I doubt I will see the movie any time soon since I have been banned from the movie theater after dressing up in character to see "Box Trolls".
I was costume accurate to the movie and they acted all bottom hurt because they thought I was causing a distraction to the fellow movie patrons. One would figure that wearing no clothes would drive the viewer's eye to the product placement on the Amazon shipping box I was wearing. I would of been just as happing wearing a box with said theater's name on it as well.
Truth be told, I did make a Baymax costme out of white trash bags and a magic marker. The plan was to sneak into the theater in costume to see the movie. However, I did not take into account making air holes in the suit. I ended up getting high from the markers and passed out about ten minutes later from lack of oxygen.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 19, 2014 8:10 PM PST

Jack and The CuckooClock Heart [Blu-ray]
Jack and The CuckooClock Heart [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Michelle Fairley
Price: $16.96
25 used & new from $12.28

1.0 out of 5 stars Jack dies in the end...by choice., October 7, 2014
Beautiful animation, great soundtrack, exceptional design, but the ending .....oh the ending. Too many red herrings one what could of saved Jack.
Example:
* His actual heart could of been kept on ice.
* The woman who lovingly raised him as her own (instead of ditching him like his real mother) could of built a better clock heart. Afterall,in a haste, she built a great one initially to save his life.
* The inventor he befriended could of and even offered to build a better heart.
* The girl he literally gave the key to his heart to handed the key to him. All he had to do was wind up his heart and he would be good to go. Instead, he just throws the key away in front of her.
I won't spoil anything with a long-winded self-serving review, but the trailer to the movie really gives you an idea to the overall "vibe" of the movie. Very different, but extremely compelling to watch. There are many characters in the movie that you think you will not like, but actually do a great deal.
This will be a great movie to show kids who are curious about love, abandonment, bullying, unregulated labor, death and the public education system versus homeschooling. As a social worker assisting small undocumented children who cross our borders alone through some form of encouragement of their parents, I intend to show this movie to them as to what they can expect in their new life.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 6, 2014 8:37 AM PST

Sleeping Beauty: Diamond Edition (2-Disc Blu-ray + DVD + Digital HD)
Sleeping Beauty: Diamond Edition (2-Disc Blu-ray + DVD + Digital HD)
DVD ~ Mary Costa
Price: $19.96
60 used & new from $13.97

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly constructed role model for little girls, October 6, 2014
This just is not a good film.
People go on and on about it as one of THE BEST classics ever made, but it really is not that good.
Te begins with a young Prince Phillip being introduced to his diaper wearing wife-to-be no matter what Princess Aurora.
Moleficent shows up at the same event still hot for Sleeping Beauty's dad King Stephan. She curses his daughter with a spinning wheel prick by her sixteenth birthday.
Don't touch a spinning wheel needle. Problem solved.
Oh the horror of dragging this out.
So, her parents unload her on a couple geriatric, incapable, clumsy fairies to raise her in the woods.
The ultimate crime of their inept behavior, Maleficent's Raven discovers there whereabouts as they draw attention to themselves in an otherwise remote local.
Enter the Prince, who eventually ((yawn)) saves the day.
The movie ends with the sixteen-year old Aurora being reintroduced to her parents so that she can immediately get married, remain shoeless and start cranking out babies for the Kingdom. More particularly, to bring their parents a greater joy than their actual kids apparently did.
Skip this movie people.
Aspiring princesses need to be exposed to more contemporary independent women sich as Rosie O'Donnell, Nancy Grace, Rachel Maddow, Kathie Gifford and my personal favorite, Jane Fonda.
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 10, 2014 10:59 AM PST

S.H.Figuarts Iron Patriot
S.H.Figuarts Iron Patriot
Offered by Fareast Research
Price: $69.59
49 used & new from $46.17

1.0 out of 5 stars One star for his one star, October 6, 2014
This review is from: S.H.Figuarts Iron Patriot (Toy)
Growing up as a heavyset fair-skinned redheaded white boy in an all black home in a high-rise apartment complex in Mississippi was an enjoyable experience. It wasn't until my sweet seventeenth birthday at Popeye's Chicken (five generations of my family worked there so it was easier to hold birthday parties there) that I began to question the validity of my origins.
The thing is, no one ever said anything to me about it. In a family of nine kids and Big Momma, everyone had their responsibilities and it always seemed to work out well. Having never seen my dad, I constructed some heroic image of what he would be like. He fell somewhere along the lines of Dirk Benedict from 'Battlestar Galactica' and Lee Majors from 'Fall Guy' and rechargeable hearing aid fame.
Both, with brazen red hair.
I was at my birthday party that a tall thin black man showed up at Popeye's. It wasn't until a few of my older siblings exclaimed "dad!!" that I really took notice of the man. Big Momma, always had a happy disposition, but I've never seen Big Momma so angry. Still being on shift, when she looked over from the kitchen and saw the man my siblings called "dad", she dropped the fresh biscuits from the oven, jumped over the counter with an ice cold jug of cane sugar iced tea and smashed it on the side of his face.
That poor man did not stand a chance against her never before seen wraith.
It was at that time, that I began to make the connection to my parental origins...or so I thought.
The cops showed up and took the man away. As it turned out, he had a restraining order from all of us and went back to prison.
Later that night, when everyone was asleep, Big Momma came into my bedroom after feeding my older brother dressed in her nightgown and sat on the edge of my bed. It was then that I learned of my true origins.
As an infant, I was left on the loading dock at Popeye's chicken. Big Momma immediately took me in and raised me as one of her own. The man I saw today was pretty much out of the picture and spent most of the time in prison. He would when he did get out, she usually got pregnant. As to who exactly my actual parents were, it just was not as much of a concern anymore. Big Momma was the one who wanted and raised me and that is where I wanted to be.
She held me close that night.
Iron Patriot has always been one of my favorite comic book characters since seeing the movie ‘Iron Man2’. The message he sends to everyone, is that no matter what we look like on the outside, we all have or long to have a black man inside of us.
I do like that the figure is a bit stylized in it bulk compared to the "real" movie counterpart, but in getting this action figure, I had hoped that it would of revealed that inner black man, but the mask does not come off.
Much like my life, I am confused as to who I really am or what is really inside of me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 19, 2014 12:46 PM PST

Star Wars The Black Series Darth Vader 6" Figure
Star Wars The Black Series Darth Vader 6" Figure
Offered by Reel Distributions
Price: $29.99
114 used & new from $25.99

1.0 out of 5 stars SPOILER ALERT: Vader is Luke's dad, October 1, 2014
Growing up, my parents did not allow us to watch movies about witchcraft or other fantasy themes. When we did watch movies, they had to be ones that we rented from the Born Again Chrisitan book store. Dad would visit the liquor store next door to try and convert sinners. We figured it went well, but since he would be gone for hours doing missionary work, we would walk home with mom.. She seemed pretty certain he would get a ride home with a police officer if it was too late for him to drive home by himself.
Often, I would awaken to hear them praying together, but she usually was the screaming "oh G*d!" over and over.
A few years later, I moved out on my own. It was there I decided not to follow the same path that my parents had raised me on. I started to play catch up on popular movies I had missed.
Having enjoyed the first movie, I was looking forward to finally seeing the infamous Darth Vader again. Just as I put the tape in and watch the scrolling intro, the phone rang. It was my friend from work at the bowling alley. He asked what I was doing, so, I told him. Nothing to it. Then, he laughed and quoted the "No, I am your father.." line.
What?!?!
Totally ruined the surprise.
I just did not see that one coming.
However, I went ahead and finished the movie. Both movies were very good and I don't see why my parents had issue with them.
With Darth Vader being my favorite character from the series, I went ahead and bought it online. That was my first mistake. After removing the figure from the package, his helmet fell off to show some wrinkly old white guy. Seems kind of cheap to me. Unless I missed something, Darth Vader is a lying robot who will stop at nothing to take the desert farm Luke lives on.
Old man.
Did the toy makers even bother see either movie?
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 11, 2014 8:33 AM PST

Ghost in the Shell 25th Anniversary [Blu-ray]
Ghost in the Shell 25th Anniversary [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Anime Characters
Price: $12.49
27 used & new from $12.35

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a very good transfer, September 23, 2014
I bought the original movie at a yard sale on a VHS tape three summer breaks from high school ago while visiting an older man named Alfred JD I met online. He befriended me in an AOL game room I would play in computer lab class. Most of the time we spend in his RV watching movies. Sometimes, we would go out now and then looking for yard sales, thrift shops with gently used items, swap meets or flea markets and garage sales. We would find some of the coolest movies and costumes and then go home to dress up in the theme of the movie we were watching.
In particular, we watched this one quite a bit even though we couldn't find any future (2029) Tokyo costumes. As he explained it to me, it would be far too difficult to actually find a used article of clothing from an animated future. That seemed reasonable enough. So, we would just watch it in the nude like Major Motoko Kunsanagi was for a great deal of the film.
This Blu-ray just doesn't do the movie justice. The picture seems too sharp. Almost hurts my eyes. Granted, I was usually drinking one of the delightful shakes Alfred would make for me while watching this on tape, so my vision could of been off.
Comment Comments (14) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 12, 2014 8:47 PM PST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20