ACDelco Radiators & Heating Components 100 Sci-Fi & Fantasy Shop Men's Watches Cloud Drive Photos nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums belkin Fire TV Stick Beauty Videos Introducing Handmade Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer wdftv wdftv wdftv  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Kids Halloween
Profile for James "Jamm" Smith > Reviews

James "Jamm&...'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

James "Jamm" Smith RSS Feed (Midwest USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Cake Collapse!
Cake Collapse!
Price: $0.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Overly simplistic, not fun and stopped working after one day, June 2, 2012
This review is from: Cake Collapse! (App)
I downloaded this app today and I was pretty disappointed. The graphics are rudimentary, the action and objectives of the game are silly, and it's the kind of game you grow tired of within a few times playing it. As an adult maybe I'm not the user they are looking for as it seems like more of a kid's game. All in all, there are hundreds of free and 99 cent apps that I think are a better choice than this one.

Update: I edited this review lowering to 1-star when the entire app stopped working after one day. The buttons on the home screen locked up and now do absolutely nothing. Save a buck and avoid this ridiculous, horrible app. I would be very suspicious of the handful of general 5-star reviews, they seem bogus to me based on my experience.

Blood pressure (52 Brilliant Ideas)
Blood pressure (52 Brilliant Ideas)
Price: $7.96

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat disorganized thoughts that seem random in order, February 7, 2012
I have three problems with this book: (1) The author attempts to use a conversational writing style that instead of being helpful, distracts from the information. The light-heartedness and humor falls flat most of the time and I don't consider high blood pressure a joking matter, (2) There is much irrelevant information that seems to be nothing more than filler, making the book much, much longer than is needed to get the point across, and (3) While the author tries to break the book into relatively short chapters, the topics seem to be in completely random order. As a result the book is hard to read and hard to garner any useful information from.

Having said all that, the information presented is based on sound medical research and it gives a thorough approach to lowering blood pressure that seems to cover all the bases. Another kindle book that covers all the bases, but in a much more concise and easy to follow way is "Action Plan to Reduce Blood Pressure" by James Laabs. If I were buying one of the two I would buy "Action Plan" over this book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 1, 2012 1:49 AM PDT

The Dark Side of Disney
The Dark Side of Disney
Price: $3.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Inaccurately named, crude and crass, January 21, 2012
Let's start with the crude and crass. I'm not a prude - I drop an f-bomb or two on a daily basis. However, there's a difference between saying it among friends and family and having it show up on just about every page of a published book. It distracts from the points the author is trying to make rather than enhance the story.

The second criticism is that this is not a "secrets of Disney" book. It is a bunch of half-baked travel tips. Here's an example: Considerable time is spent on how to score free drink tickets on Southwest Air. The author includes an "update" that makes the entire explanation moot, since his system no longer works (Southwest now dates drink coupons they give to frequent fliers to the day of the flight, which makes re-selling them impossible). Also, the research done by the author is poor, at best. He touts Southwest as "the only way to go" but I know in my market they are much higher than Airtran or Delta to Orlando.

There are a number of anecdotes quoted from other people than the author. Among the pointless stories is a friend of his who was banned for life by Disney for attempting to sneak into the park without a ticket. But there are plenty more stories that may impress a high school freshman who thinks being a "bad boy" is cool. But adults will find them and the rest of this mess of a book immature and of no informational value.

Green Dan Says! (Renewable Energy is Cool)
Green Dan Says! (Renewable Energy is Cool)
by Dan Marsh

5.0 out of 5 stars Green Dan Says is Valuable Information for People of All Ages, April 18, 2010
Although it is supposed to be a children's book, Green Dan Says "Renewable Energy is Cool" has new information for children and adults alike. Lost in the media coverage of energy conservation are the simple facts, and that is what this book is all about. Kids and grownups will find Green Dan's book to be a clear and interesting way to learn about solar, wind, geothermal and other forms of renewable energy. If your kids read this book, they will know more about what renewable energy is all about than 99% of adults - and if you read this book you'll learn things you never knew. I heartily recommend this book to anyone.

International Superhits!
International Superhits!
Offered by megahitrecords
Price: $7.73
267 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best CDs in my collection, January 21, 2010
I've had this CD for quite awhile and still enjoy listening to it. As far as "greatest hits" compilations, it is the best. Every Green Day hit is included from the "Doogie" days through the 1990s. If you are a bit younger and just discovered Green Day because of American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown, you'll enjoy their earlier stuff too.

Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World For Grown-Ups (Unofficial Guides)
Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World For Grown-Ups (Unofficial Guides)
by Eve Zibart
34 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful and interesting, January 7, 2010
This book is part of the "Unofficial Guide" series of books, a spin-off from the main guide. I liked this guide and would recommend it highly to those planning to visit Disney without kids in tow. Having said that, I can't give it 5 stars because of some errors and omissions that I noted in even a casual reading. For example, I could not find a review of mention of Whispering Canyon Cafe at Disney Wilderness Lodge. The restaurant section seemed like it was missing a number of fairly popular places. Maybe the author felt these places were not of interest to adults-only parties. Also, the only Disney hotels discussed are the high end hotels. Yes, adults probably don't want to stay at the budget end hotels that are packed with kids, but what about the mid-level Disney hotels, Coronado Springs, Port Orleans and others? Those are all missing from this book.

Westward IV:  All Aboard [Download]
Westward IV: All Aboard [Download]
Price: $6.99

1.0 out of 5 stars I guess I don't get it but this game is silly and no fun, January 7, 2010
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this game via download and played it for a few sessions. It seems to have gotten great reviews but I don't see the charm, interest or fun in this game at all. It seems to me to be tedious and slow, with nothing to hold my interest. The graphics aren't very impressive, very cartoon-like, and the interface isn't intuitive or easy to use. I dislike this game to the point where I plan to delete it tonight, I don't even want to waste the space on my disk that it takes up. Sorry if this seems harsh, I don't like giving bad reviews but I really don't think this is a good game.

Airport Mania: First Flight [Download]
Airport Mania: First Flight [Download]
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice, fun game, January 5, 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
I have edited my recent review because the earlier bugs I found in the program have not surfaced in quite awhile. In terms of fun level, Airport Mania is a nice game because it is somewhat challenging but not overly difficult. The cartoony graphics with the little smiling or frowning planes is kind of a turn off - I tried to get my daughter to try this game and she thought it looked "stupid."

Since I originally reviewed this game, I have downloaded and played a number of other games from Amazon. Compared to those other games, Airport Mania is more fun to play and has more staying power in terms of holding my interest.

Skinny Dip
Skinny Dip
by Carl Hiaasen
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $8.00
269 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun and entertaining book, January 4, 2010
This review is from: Skinny Dip (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is a nice, entertaining read - nothing amazing or riveting but a fun book. The plot is unique in some ways but a bit predictable once you get the flow. I sometimes find the author's writing style a little over the top for my reading tastes but overall I would recommend this book to fans of mysteries and/or Florida-based fiction.

21st Century Breakdown
21st Century Breakdown
Price: $8.63
210 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Vigilantes warning ya, calling Christian and Gloria!, June 14, 2009
This review is from: 21st Century Breakdown (Audio CD)
Since everyone is doing it, let's make the comparison to American Idiot. As good as American Idiot was, I think this CD is better - a cohesive, more interesting story line and better songs.

Perhaps the best thing about this CD is the way many songs re-visit Green Day's previous sound without duplicating it. They're staying true to their sound while moving forward creatively, an almost impossible feat.

I won't name favorite songs because there is something for everyone and my favorites are changing day to day. But two songs that seem to be underappreciated in other reviews that I really like are The Static Age and American Eulogy.

Give this CD at least two listens straight through and it will likely become one of your favorites.

Page: 1 | 2