Profile for Steven K. Baker > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 26

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Steven K. Baker "KellRazor" RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Blackstar HT Metal 1H 1-Watt Tube Head
Blackstar HT Metal 1H 1-Watt Tube Head
Offered by Music123
Price: $269.99
5 used & new from $269.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Lunchbox Metal, May 24, 2014
Took a chance on this lunchbox amp after being blown away by my Blackstar HT 50 head. I needed an extra touch of gain at a lower level for the studio and this has not disappointed. Don't be misled by the 1 watt listing, this amp through my 412 cab is loud enough to hear down the street. I love that it can be jacked into any cab combination between 4-16 ohms. The ISF feature here is really pretty sweet. All the way left is a Mesa Rec Tone while all the way right gets you into Marshall JCM territory. I EQ my amps with a pedal to cut back on hiss, boost the mids and have a little more tone headroom, and it takes the EQ pedals like a champ.

It's voiced for metal, so you aren't going to get a lot of clean channel headroom, but it definitely is more than serviceable. Decent reverb at about noon on the dial.

I totally dig the tones it produces at lower volumes as well. It's killer in the studio, and a great practice/road amp at low levels. It could be used for small gigs or even mic'd for larger gigs. My wife likes it and even thinks it's cute for whatever that's worth.

It's not going to replace my Blackstar Touring head anytime soon, but it is a great back-up, super portable and has a pretty cool emulated output jack to go with it for direct monitoring in a DAW.

For the price I can't see why these things aren't just flying off the shelves. It takes pedals well, but could really benefit from an fx loop. It's a tad noisy, but you can filter out the noise with an EQ pedal. I deducted a star for lack of FX loop, then awarded the star back based on the price of this amp head. It's cheaper than a lot of dirtbox pedals I have seen! Great job Blackstar.

MXR M169 Carbon Copy Analog Delay
MXR M169 Carbon Copy Analog Delay
Price: Click here to see our price
60 used & new from $112.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Every Board Needs One, May 23, 2014
It's the Tube Screamer of delay pedals. I use mine primarily to thicken up my tone, and definitely would miss it if it were not on my board. I have used it for situations that call for deep delay, and love the mod function which can get pretty spacey... I fall back on a EHX Memory Man chained to an Anaolgizer for a sick ping pong between the 2 delays in experimentation sequences, but when playing blues or thrash, I use it as tone beef only. Low settings not too echo-ey, more like a bass'd out reverb.
There are literally a million different ways you can use this pedal, and it is a testament to it's versatility that it pops up on so many pedal boards in so many different genres.
Hey - stop reading this and order it! Now!!!!

Pro Co RAT2 Distortion Pedal
Pro Co RAT2 Distortion Pedal
Price: Click here to see our price
33 used & new from $64.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Fuzz Factory and Beyond, May 23, 2014
I love adding channels to amps, and that is exactly what this pedal does. It helped me create a separate fuzz/distortion channel that makes my rig extra versatile. It's built to last and solid as a rock. I love the different dirt it gets combined with my MXR Carbon Copy nooned across the board. Insanity! I love my main rig distortion, but this definitely helps add depth, and doesn't tank my tone. Last distortion pedal you'll ever need.

Blackstar HTV212 HT Venue Series 212 Guitar Amplifier Cabinet
Blackstar HTV212 HT Venue Series 212 Guitar Amplifier Cabinet
Price: $329.99
10 used & new from $106.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Good To Go, May 23, 2014
Bought this cabinet to go with the matching HT Club 50 head, and after slight mods could not be happier. I took out the decent Celestion 70/80s and replaced them with Vintage 30s, and closed the back of the cabinet. I can't get over the tones this head/cab combo can produce now!
The original speakers were pretty awesome, but a bit too much on the shrill side of tone that I just don't really dig. I don't scoop mids, I boost them, so the Vintage 30s were the logical replacements. Super easy fix once you get some burn in time on the replacements.
Man, I still have money left over in my pocket as the total cost of the cab and mods were under $700.
Blackstar!!!

Down IV Part II
Down IV Part II
Price: $8.99
36 used & new from $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Holy, May 23, 2014
This review is from: Down IV Part II (Audio CD)
I couldn't imagine these guys without the great Kirk Windstein, and yet I'm now completely blown away. Part 1 was supposed to be the heavyweight champ, but it just got knocked off. This is their best recording to date. What a dream of a recording mix. Phil is getting pretty adept at knowing how a mixing board works. His vocals jump out in 60 dimensions from 60 directions. This is the best thing I have heard since Reign In Blood. Crush your face in with this and buy it now. Mosh pit record of the year.

Blackstar HT Club 50 50-Watt Guitar Amp Head
Blackstar HT Club 50 50-Watt Guitar Amp Head
Price: $749.99
10 used & new from $569.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Tone On Tap, May 23, 2014
An amp so versatile that it has a tone knob (ISF) that shifts between classic British crunch and American drive. I bought the matching 212 cab, swapped out the 70/80s for V30s, modded the cab to be a convertible, and threw my fx on the loop. Sounds like an overdriven Plexi and a Mesa merged with an Orange.

There are not words yet inserted into the English language that can describe my joy, but I can sum it up for you in a one word sentence. Tone.

You can literally dial any tone in that you need and you don't have to file bankruptcy to do it. 50 insanely loud watts make this good for studio or the road. Get one! 5 stars.

Shubb C1A Steel String Capo, Antique
Shubb C1A Steel String Capo, Antique
Price: $20.44
10 used & new from $16.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Capo, March 29, 2013
Easily the best quality capo for it's price. Looks great on any guitar. I came across SHUBB a few months back, when my capo finally gave out after 12 years. I bought the C1 stainless steel version of this same capo which made a good transition between several of my guitars, but I had to adjust it any time I went to use it on my Les Paul which has a 50s neck and fretboard.
Ordered off of Amazon and it shipped the same day.

I just got it in the mail yesterday, and it snapped right on the LP with a firm click. I didn't even have to adjust it. It looks amazing in use... and is just the best and simplest design.
You know when you feel it lock into place that it is staying there no matter what. Don't forget to remove it when you guitar is resting. It's easy to forget it's there. Forget the oversized medieval torture device style capos... this never effects my fret thumb or forefinger--
exactly what I was looking for in a capo.
I will have these 2 for a long time, and I'm a Shubb guy from this day forward.

Line 6 Spider IV HD150 150-watt Guitar Amplifier Head
Line 6 Spider IV HD150 150-watt Guitar Amplifier Head
Price: $399.99
11 used & new from $275.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for Everybody (3.5 stars), March 27, 2013
Don't get too fooled by the overdone pre-sets. It was fun blipping through the upteen gazillion settings when I first came across this amp, but I was over it by the end of day one. Make sure to order the FBV2 floor switch, because you'll want to sculpt your own tones and set them in Channels 1-4. It's not a solid state amp - it's a digital modeling amp - and if you're not careful it can be the worst fizz offender on the planet. Take some time to create your own tones and it settles into a very nice riff machine. I have a Modded Ampeg Reverberocket 212 Tube amp, a solid state Acoustic Amplification Head, a Blackstar Touring head and cab, and this digital amp can get pretty close to matching the tubes as well as the bite of the solid state. Close.

I have to admit I was surprised by the distortion. You can definitely pull metal tones galore out of it. The 4 x 12 matching cab has Celestion 70/80s which work well with the digital head, warm up over time & achieve good distortion. I'm not sure how the cab would match with other heads, but digital or solid state heads of any type should be able to make them churn.
I've heard people moan about the cleans, but I have a Martin acoustic that this amp loves. Like I said before... sculpt your own tones and leave the presets alone.

I've played and recorded a few different guitars through this amp - Gibson LP Studio Deluxe sounds good... ESP Viper 301 can get pretty Sabbathy... Schecter C-1 and Dean MXL gets all the dives and squeals you need - with tons of sustain and feedback.

I keep it on hand in the studio because it mikes solid at low levels thanks to the master volume control - and transfers to record-able formats really nicely. Funny how cheap gear rolls.
That being said, I would never take this to a club or live show. At show levels, the digital sound becomes way too obvious, and that is where this amp and the majority of digital fails. Tone snobs are not entirely off base about this product.

Built in fx are never going to get close to pedals or racks, but the short delay is half way decent, and the verb is ok at lower levels.

Good studio/practice room amp - not to be taken on the road.

Use the built in noise gate, read the booklet. If you hate it, give it away. No one is making you keep it.

I deduct stars for being way too distracting with silly presets - and for being a budgety eyesore. PUT DUCT TAPE OVER THE PRE-SET DISPLAY AND USE THE SHORTBOARD!

Speak of the Devil
Speak of the Devil
Price: $11.78
55 used & new from $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Speak of the Memories, February 13, 2013
This review is from: Speak of the Devil (Audio CD)
HOW could you hear this as a Black Sabbath fan and not absolutely love it?
I remember when this record came out, and how stoked I was to hear Ozzy revive some old, well-loved yet performance neglected Sabbath tunes. I was 15. This was a 2-3 year constant soundtrack to my formative metal development, so rediscovering this CD 30 years later right here on Amazon was a Mega Metal BONUS!

The foursome of Aldridge/Sarzo/Gillis/Osbourne not only perform a remarkable homage to some of my favorite Sabbath, they sound like they wrote these songs. Yep - I just said that!
Put it side by side against the Dio Sabbath live album that came out at the same time and there is no comparison. This rips any live album I have ever heard to shreds. Sorry Dio (RIP).

The reviewer who complained about the whammy style solos is killin me! Of course Gillis isn't Iommi! NO ONE IS!!
The thing I love about Brad on this recording is, he's NOT TRYING TO SOUND LIKE IOMMI. And by the way, I will take his whammy flight over Zakk's waaaaay annoying pinch harmonics any day of the week. His solo in Paranoid still gives me chills to this day. The insanity of his take on Sabbath Bloody Sabbath almost makes you forget that they altered the ending of the song.

This was a HUGE gap bridge between the untimely death of the great Randy Rhoads, and the start of the new Ozzy band. Ozzy put an all star group together to get away from the Diary/Blizzard stuff for a short tour. Get away from the sorrow of losing his right hand in Rhoads. Besides, who could have ever filled those shoes? Why not trot out some old Sab, and see who wants to come along for the ride? I actually remember this tour happening and wanting so badly to go. If I'm not mistaken Bernie Torme and Brad Gillis spilt time on the tour.

Ozzy's voice just comes exploding out of the opening "Symptom Of The Universe" and never lets up. It's as inspiring as the first time I heard the studio Sabbath versions of these songs. Aldridge/Sarzo rhythm section gives every song amazing life, and while I remember the story of why these guys never cut a studio record together, I'm still amazed they passed on it.

Just hearing "The Wizard", "Fairies Wear Boots", "N.I.B.", "Never Say Die" and "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" LIVE again is worth buying this CD, but every track is absolutely amazing. Max Norman did such a great job with the mix here - man I'm really happy to have this in my ears again.

"THE NEXT ALBUM'S FOR YOU PEOPLE MAN!"
You said it Ozzy. Thanks, Man.
-Metal History 101

Joyo JF-34 US Dream Distortion Pedal features a simple Layout but undeniably crisp and clear Harmonics
Offered by IGrace
Price: $30.90
25 used & new from $11.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Joyo Win, November 2, 2012
Dirt box gold for under 50 bucks! Highly adjustable tone, volume and distortion level that won't tank your amplifier tone, while letting you get between everything from back alley blues to blistering metal. I love this pedal!!! The true bypass is a bonus if you are in love with your amp's tone, but lose it when you engage your pedal. Not anymore. I know there are some great distortion pedals on the market, but you won't find this quality and tone at a better price. Joyo win.

Sorry OS-2 - it's pawnshop time for you!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3