Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro
Profile for John > Reviews

Browse

John's Profile

Customer Reviews: 134

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

John RSS Feed (Southern California)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Failure Is Not an Option: Mission Control From Mercury to Apollo 13 and Beyond
Failure Is Not an Option: Mission Control From Mercury to Apollo 13 and Beyond
by Gene Kranz
Price: $11.53
164 used & new from $2.93

3.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable. The reader will "just have to tough it out.", January 29, 2012
I never imagined giving Gene Kranz's book less than a five-star rating, but it is so dull that I kept putting it down. But any Apollo aficionado would be remiss without reading this.

I learned of many new things, like the mission-threatening mishaps that occurred on Apollo missions 14, 15, and 16. Everybody knows of the difficulty the Apollo 14 crew had extracting the LM, but I never realized that their first landing attempt was waved off as they worked through two additional landing-threatening problems: abort-switch contamination (VERY scary), and a malfunctioning radar altimeter. I also learned that the TLI was really an ascent to a higher (250,000 mile) orbit that intercepted the moon.

No coworker is mentioned without an obligatory paragraph (or three) about what made him or her special. Ironically after this is done for everybody, no one seems special. It would be difficult to keep all the characters straight anyway, but the author makes it worse by alternately referring to them by first and last names, effectively doubling the number of people to remember. For example when Gary Coen is mentioned on page 358: the author writes "Gary continued..." and then later in the same paragraph, "Coen continued..." It is cOnFUsiNg! 8-[]

The author's take-charge attitude that served us all so well in the face of time-critical, irreversible decisions was not useful for writing a memoir. He should have recruited a co-author as Gene Cernan did.

More than any other books I have read, this one and Michael Collins' book convey the mind-boggling complexity of these missions, and the effort, coordination, and mental toughness required to pull them off. Each mission was truly an amazing team accomplishment. It is an inspiring tale.

BLU T200 Deejay Unlocked Quad-Band GSM Phone with FM radio, MP3 Player, Flashlight and microSD slot--International Version with Warranty (Green)

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent for the price. Didn't try the radio or web., November 11, 2011
I only needed a backup for voice & text. The best thing about this phone: it's NEW equipment, not refurbished! Plus it came with a 110 - 220 volt charger.

Roland Black Lumpfish Caviar, 2-Ounce Jars (Pack of 2)
Roland Black Lumpfish Caviar, 2-Ounce Jars (Pack of 2)
Offered by Deals On Call
Price: $16.58
4 used & new from $6.59

5.0 out of 5 stars YUM! It's the tiny black kind, not the big squishy kind, November 11, 2011
Excellent value! I was disinclined to review something as hoity-toity as caviar because I think that should be left to the gourmets. (I am just a gourmand, meaning my tastes are less refined, I am less informed, and I eat larger amounts.) I only wish it came in bigger jars! I came back to order some more!

NEW OEM TELUS BELT CLIP BLACK HOLSTER FOR MOTOROLA RAZR V3 V3c V3m
NEW OEM TELUS BELT CLIP BLACK HOLSTER FOR MOTOROLA RAZR V3 V3c V3m

3.0 out of 5 stars It dropped the phone whenever I got out of my car, November 11, 2011
If you can remember to take it off before you get out of the car it's OK. It absolutely killed my new AT&T V3 after only one year. It just got dropped on the pavement too many times.

Motorola RAZR V3 Unlocked Phone with Camera, and Video Player--U.S. Version with Warranty (Blue)
Offered by Techtrum
Price: $79.00
6 used & new from $33.88

2.0 out of 5 stars DILAPIDATED. OK value for diehard V3 junkies who only want voice and text, November 11, 2011
Mine came with a broken battery cover (retaining tab broken off) and a sheet pleading for me to call the vendor, "PUT Group USA," for support before returning it. They agreed to send a new cover and assisted with other initial problems with this phone. The cover from my old V3 works fine although its color doesn't match.

We never did get the web to work after some lengthy procedures to set settings, so beware if that matters to you.

I asked whether the battery is new and he said, "Everything in there *should* be new." He told me that they acquired new overstocked equipment. But this phone obviously is not new. It just came with new plastic wrappers on everything.

I only got this because my V3 from AT&T died just before an overseas trip and I didn't want to acclimate to a new phone. This one does not compare to the original and it is funky in many ways. I have to shout into it and it's not very loud. The keyboard feels worn out.

Because of all the negative reviews on all the V3s I also picked up a BLU T200 Deejay Unlocked Quad-Band GSM Phone and it's adequate for voice and text, and it's NEW. It's even cheaper and it came with a charger that works in the U.S. and SE Asia.

Reading the reviews makes it obvious that there ARE no more NEW V3s anywhere; they're all gone! If you're not used to the Motorola V3, there is no reason to consider this item.

P.S. The sole reason that my new AT&T V3 died after only one year is absolutely because of this junky holster which dropped my phone on the pavement whenever I got out of my car. I couldn't always remember to take it off.

UPDATE: I am overseas now and it worked, but it broke the first time I dropped it! My new V3 took a year of that punishment, but this one did not because it was refurbished. I replaced it with a new Nokia G3 candy-bar style phone.

The Wealth of Nations (Modern Library)
The Wealth of Nations (Modern Library)
by Adam Smith
23 used & new from $23.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful! A most readable edition, accessible to all!, August 6, 2011
I chose this edition after checking out three at the bookstore because:

* Ingenious editor Edwin Cannan (God bless him!) was well-versed in each of the five editions that were published while the author was alive. Cannan treats us to a lengthy (63 page) introduction which includes a feisty justification of why this edition is put together precisely the way it is, plus an authoritative history of those first five editions, with comparisons and contrasts. Once the book itself starts, Canaan's input is non-invasive; I felt that he was sitting silently and attentively in the wings, like a stage director overseeing a play.

* The original wording is preserved, augmented by explanatory conventional bottom-of-the-page footnotes. Cannan's edits (mostly to correct typos and make clarifications) are most welcome, and even the typographical errors are preserved verbatim in footnotes. An example of a clarification: the author's mention of a "fire-engine" had me thinking of a horse-drawn vehicle for putting out fires. Cannan's footnote: "I.e., steam engine."

* The English usage of two centuries ago is a novelty, and much easier to follow than I had expected.

* The author's original footnotes are exactly where he placed them: in little insets around the page.

As for the content itself, the prevalence of Smith's ideas in modern treatises such as Basic Economics is startling! (I recommend Basic Economics as a first book on Economics, by the way.) I got MANY insights into the beginnings of America and what was going on in the world at the time this was published. I now understand why towns formed along sea coasts and waterways: it was much more efficient to transport goods via water than by land. Forget Economics for a second: any general historian would be remiss without reading this.

Samsung a107 Prepaid GoPhone (AT&T)
Samsung a107 Prepaid GoPhone (AT&T)
7 used & new from $14.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Rip-off alert! Buyer beware..., July 16, 2011
I thought I was getting some minutes with this prepaid phone. Not so. I inserted the SIM card, charged the battery, and chose a plan according to the instructions, but it would not receive SMS (text) messages. I called customer service, who told me that my account was empty and that I had to purchase minutes either right there with my credit card, or go to an ATT store. I went to the ATT store where they told me that I could have bought the exact same Samsung phone there, same deal, same choice of calling plans, for TEN BUCKS! So I paid over THREE TIMES too much buying it here! Thanks, Amazon!

PLASTIC HOLDER W/ SWIVEL MOTOROLA RAZR V3 PLASTIC SWIVEL HOLSTER RAZR I
PLASTIC HOLDER W/ SWIVEL MOTOROLA RAZR V3 PLASTIC SWIVEL HOLSTER RAZR I

1.0 out of 5 stars When you open the phone it pops out of this holster., May 11, 2011
This is the worst one I've ever had because there's no way to use the phone without popping it out of the holster. That might be OK for a holster meant to stay on the belt, but I had to take the whole thing (holster & phone) off and then pop the phone out and use it --a two-hand operation. I'd rather just carry the phone in my pocket. (I don't mind it breaking because ALL these cheap holsters break.) Here is a holster I like better.

Intelligent Design: Message from the Designers
Intelligent Design: Message from the Designers
by Rael
Price: $19.00
35 used & new from $15.74

1.0 out of 5 stars Why buy what you can download for free?, May 9, 2011
More importantly, why read this at all when you can read this dynamite little quick read instead? Or this? Or this? Without exception, people who believe in UFO abductions, trance channellers and the like, were raised in alcoholic or otherwise dysfunctional households i.e., households in which there was substance abuse, profound religious attitudes, or in which violence was the means of resolving disputes. Tall tales like this mesh well with their tendency to constantly fantasize: illusion as an antidote to despair.

The U.S. headquarters of Claude's followers is in Las Vegas --the most spiritual place on the planet, right? His sexual use of his followers is similar to that of other cult leaders like Jim Jones, Frederick Lenz, and Charles Manson.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 3, 2014 7:16 PM PST

Thai, Comprehensive: Learn to Speak and Understand Thai with Pimsleur Language Programs
by Paul Pimsleur
Edition: Audio CD
Price: $213.09
36 used & new from $40.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The reading lessons alone justify the purchase., March 1, 2011
The twenty reading lessons are more valuable than most people realize because (1) they are brief, about five minutes each, and (2) the professional English-speaking announcer stays with you for the reading lessons and explains some of the tone marks, consonant classes, etc. But most of all (3) you can use the "reading lessons," after you've been through them a few times, for DICTATION, i.e. you can put the booklet away, listen and write what is spoken, then check what you've written against the book. This is an incredibly powerful technique I practiced in Bangkok with a live instructor.

Folks, I've spent a lot of time in Thailand and am here to tell you that there IS no "easy way to learn Thai!" Some Thai phonemes are not heard in any of the other languages I've studied. Without learning to read and write it, there is no realistic hope of reaching conversational proficiency; you will always be limited to a very small set of phrases that are understood, and many more that you just can't get the Thais to understand no matter how hard you try.

In contrast, if you put the Pimsleur Cantonese lessons (for example) on your iPod and do a lesson a day while commuting to work, you could go to Hong Kong and be understood very well if you are any good at all. Ditto for other languages I could mention. But not so with Thai.

If you do not live in a megapolis like LA or NYC where you can take a live class, this is an excellent way to go it alone by using the reading lessons as I've described.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14