Profile for Norman Ramsey > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 45

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Norman Ramsey RSS Feed (Medford, MA United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Sense of Style: The Thinking Person's Guide to Writing in the 21st Century
The Sense of Style: The Thinking Person's Guide to Writing in the 21st Century
by Steven Pinker
Price: $16.18
93 used & new from $13.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Broad view of writing informed by modern linguistics and by the techniques best known to make writing clear., May 15, 2015
I teach technical writing and so have evaluated many of these kinds of books. This one is very solid and is grounded in the classic style manual by Joseph Williams. Once you've got what you can from Williams, this is a good next book. Don't be put off by the first chapter, which is a bit strange.

You'll see Pinker recapitulate quite a bit of what you'll find from Williams, but you'll also see new things. About you and your readers, you'll get more about how you might be trying to affect your reader, and how the ``curse of knowledge'' makes us say things in ways that we understand, not necessarily in ways that readers will understand. You'll get a nice chapter on the value of grammar and syntax, which is really interesting because the notions of grammar have been updated to account for what's known today about linguistics. Good, accessible writing about grammar is always hard to find. Finally, you'll get yet another dictionary of usage---130 pages' worth. This one seems to have the right attitude about what ``correctness'' really means, so it may be better than Bryan Garner's 2003 usage dictionary, but I haven't evaluated it to make sure.

Streamlight 44941 Siege AA Lantern
Streamlight 44941 Siege AA Lantern
Price: $28.48
57 used & new from $26.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Super bright, super small, super well made, works great with rechargeable batteries, March 19, 2015
Fantastic product. In this category there seems to be a lot of cheap junk, and a few $$$ things that are really well made. Not much in between. This is $$$ and very well made. Just the feel of the parts is excellent.

And the design is superb. Makes a great lantern. Can hang from a cord or an edge. We bought it for power outages, but if we still camped, it would be perfect for camping.

The lantern is surprisingly small. Slightly taller than a soda can and definitely thinner. It's smaller than I had expected. Also, the diffuser comes off, and the remaining stub of the light works well in the hand as a very bright light either for work or for searching the floor for lost items. (Removing the diffuser improves brightness, but there is a lot of glare.

It works well with rechargeable batteries. Brand makes a difference. With some Powerex batteries it was quite good, but with the Sanyo Eneloop batteries it was noticeably brighter.

All in all, one of the most superior products of any kind I have had the pleasure to own. If it were just a bit cheaper I would buy one for each car as an emergency light. As is, an excellent choice for camping or for emergencies.

Melitta 40994 1.7-Liter Kettle
Melitta 40994 1.7-Liter Kettle
Price: $30.39
26 used & new from $24.31

4.0 out of 5 stars Automatic cutoff is a bit slow, but I love the blue light, March 19, 2015
I've had several 1500W, 1.7l teakettles. Inside they all look the same. This one heats water well and quickly, but it is slow to cut off. However, I love the window into the chamber and the illuminated blue light. It makes it easy to see that the teakettle is turned on, regardless of where I am in the room.

Cool Tools: A Catalog of Possibilities
Cool Tools: A Catalog of Possibilities
by Kevin Kelly
Price: $20.19
57 used & new from $15.21

2.0 out of 5 stars A coffee-table book that doesn't look good. What's the point in that?, March 19, 2015
There is some neat stuff here, and I was willing to pay to have material from the web site collected as a coffee-table book. But the production values are awful. The paper is not great, the binding is not great, and worse of all, lots of the images are just blown up from low-resolution images and are terribly pixelated. Even a modicum of postprocessing would have made them look better.

Rishi Tea West Cape Chai, 3 Ounce
Rishi Tea West Cape Chai, 3 Ounce
Price: $8.00

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent choice for caffeine-free chai, March 19, 2015
A very nice caffeine-free chai. Just a little bitter for my taste. As a result, I tend to add too much sugar.

Not quite as tasty as the super-delicious Masala Chai from the same vendor, but still very nice.

Hopkins 532 Mallory 26" Snow Brush with Foam Grip (Colors may vary)
Hopkins 532 Mallory 26" Snow Brush with Foam Grip (Colors may vary)
Price: $9.93
12 used & new from $4.18

2.0 out of 5 stars Grabs too much snow, March 19, 2015
I bought this to replace an older brush with longer bristles. The ice scraper in the handle does not work well for me. When sweeping, it gets in the way. For scraping, a standalone scraper is easier to use.

But the real problem with this brush is the bristles. Instead of sweeping snow off the car, the tend to grab the snow. In use the bristles quickly become clogged with snow.

Rishi Tea Masala Chai, 3 Ounce
Rishi Tea Masala Chai, 3 Ounce
Price: $6.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious, but follow instructions to the letter., January 28, 2015
The best chai I have ever had. Comparable to what's served in my favorite Indian restaurant.

For best flavor, follow the package directions exactly. I tried adding boiling water to the leaves, and it was not as good as boiling the leaves in cold water.

I like spicy tea, and I like this one best with all the mix that's asked for on the package, or even a little extra. Trying to eke out the tea by using less mix or steeping it longer results in less tasty tea.

And be careful not to scald the milk! I heat to 175 or 180 degrees F and then let cool.

EDGE BAND 3/4"X25'WHITE [Misc.]
EDGE BAND 3/4"X25'WHITE [Misc.]
Offered by Hardware Zone
Price: $10.01
6 used & new from $5.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, terrible instructions, December 20, 2014
This review is from: EDGE BAND 3/4"X25'WHITE [Misc.]
The iron-on banding works great. This size can go on three-quarter-inch material without trimming, and if it's a little off, you can reheat it and adjust its position. But the instructions say to protect your iron using either aluminum foil or Kraft paper. I used aluminum foil and got terrible results: there are wrinkles pressed into the banding (which could be my fault), and both my workpiece and my iron are stained with aluminum smears. Do not use aluminum foil!

Sony DSC-RX100M III Cyber-shot Digital Still Camera
Sony DSC-RX100M III Cyber-shot Digital Still Camera
Price: $798.00
54 used & new from $605.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great results in low light, but very complicated, hard to use with eyeglasses, July 27, 2014
I wanted the best camera I could get that fit in my pocket, and I was quite willing to give up lens length (zoom) in order to get better image quality in low light. For these aspects, I couldn't be happier. But two problems reduce my rating to four stars.

First, the camera contains a computer so powerful that the user-interface experience is a nightmare. Granted this problem is common to most digital cameras, but Sony could not even be bothered to explain what all the icons on the screens mean---their documentation explains only what you can change, not what you are looking at.

The second problem is more serious, but applies only if you wear eyeglasses: the pop-up viewfinder is just not usable with eyeglasses. I find myself having to remove my glasses and use the viewfinder with my naked eye. I am quite nearsighted and am lucky that the diopter correction just barely has enough range for me. If you are over 50 and have trouble focusing on nearby objects, you may find the viewfinder unusable. Since the viewfinder is one of the main reasons to by the Mark III instead of the Mark II, let the buyer beware.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 19, 2014 3:50 PM PDT

Lufkin X46F 6-Inch Red End Extension Wood Rule
Lufkin X46F 6-Inch Red End Extension Wood Rule
Offered by Life and Home
Price: $20.29
14 used & new from $9.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap junk; extension slide does not work, March 22, 2014
The folding part of this rule is reasonably well made. But the reason to have it is the brass extension slide. In the sample I got, the slide arrived jammed. Even after un-jamming it, it doesn't extend when the rule is open. When the rule is closed, it extends only with great difficulty. The only way to get it to extend reliably is to half-fold the segment on the end, so the joint is at 90 degrees. Then the slide will extend.

To add insult to injury, once the slide extends, it is loose enough that it will not hold its own weight against gravity. So you can use it to measure only horizontal distances.

My father always used a folding rule instead of a tape measure. At this price, I was hoping to get a tool of reasonable quality. Instead I got junk. Do not buy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5