Profile for ut158 > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 758

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

ut158 RSS Feed (USA)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Scotts Turf Builder Grass Seed - Kentucky Bluegrass Mix, 3-Pound (Not Sold in Louisiana)
Price: $16.99
4 used & new from $13.19

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good, April 28, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It looks like the bare spots in my lawn that I am over-seeding are going to fill in, but it's still too early to say how effective the end result will be. I know there are several reviews of people who got a bad batch or something, but I have had about the same experience with this bag of seed as I have had in the past when buying from my local big-box brick-and-mortar stores. Just make sure to plant in pleasant weather and keep the dirt wet while it is first starting out and you should be fine. TIP: grass clippings or a similar cover over large bare patches help to retain moisture and may increase your success rate.

DII Oceanique 14-Piece Bathroom Set, Machine Washable, for Everyday Use, Kids, Teens, Includes Shower Curtain, Shower Hooks, and Bath Rug, Pink
Price: $29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars My daughters like it, April 22, 2015
OK, in case you missed it this "14 piece set" is really just 2 1/2 pieces:
1) a bath mat
2) a curtain
+ 1/2: 11 rings to hang it said curtain

Calling it a 14 piece set feels a little gratuitous, but whatever...

The curtain itself hangs nicely and there isn't any odd smell--a problem I've had in the past with new curtains. The 11 hooks compliment the look nicely, although they catch on the middle of the rod (where the smaller rod goes into the larger rod) more than my previous hooks did because those had little roller things along the top and these do not.

The bath mat is fairly thin, but has a nice "squish" to it and the bottom surface is nicely non-slip. Also, note that 16x24" is (in my opinion) fairly small for a bath mat, but I suppose that could work well in a small bathroom.

A cute set--if you (or the person who uses the target bathroom) is into pink, it should be well received.

The Gourmet Dad: Easy and Delicious Meals the Whole Family Will Love
The Gourmet Dad: Easy and Delicious Meals the Whole Family Will Love
by Dean McDermott
Price: $20.48
44 used & new from $13.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Who says dads can't cook?, April 21, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When I was growing up, Mom did most--but not all--of the cooking. When Dad *did* make something, you always knew it was going to be something special. Now that I have my own family, it's much the same--Mom is awesome at consistently making good, healthy, (usually) budget-friendly dinners for the whole family on a daily basis. From time to time, however, I relieve her of her "Chef" duties and when I do, I like to do something special (and, if I may say so myself, most of the time it is well received).

That's the spirit of this book, I think. It isn't that we as Dads can't cook and so this is dumbed down for us. No, no, no. This is a book of recipes that dads can pull out when they know they are going to have dinner duty. Most recipes have 2 versions--the full blown, as-it-was-intended version and a simplified-for-a-child's-palette version. I disagree with the reviewer that says you are supposed to make both--from what I can tell (and how I plan to use it), the kid version is merely a variation on the recipe that you can use to help you adjust the original to meet the tastes of the various members of your family. If, for example, you have a kid that you know hates onions and this recipe calls for onions, check the kid version to see if there is a suggestion on how to leave the onions out without deflating the flavor of the dish. Personally, I always appreciate variations in recipes--they act as a springboard to give you ideas of other things you can do to tweak something that is either not quite right for you, or already delicious, but you are looking for variety.

In the same vein, another thing I really liked about the way he did this book is the fact that some of his recipes are labeled "Stella's favorite". This denotes something that picky eaters may not want. He uses this label because Stella, one of his daughters, is the bravest, least picky eater in his bunch. I thought the label was cute and the idea of ranking things based on how unusual they are is a good one.

HOWEVER

As other reviewers point out, there ARE many odd/hard-to-find ingredients in this book--like, if you don't have your own garden (or if it doesn't happen to be spring), then I really don't know where you would find a cup of "fresh pea tendrils" which is required in one of his dishes. That's why I said that "This is a book of recipes that dads can pull out when they know they are going to have dinner duty."--> you will need to know ahead of time for many of the recipes because there's a good chance you won't have some of this stuff lying around, ready to use at the last moment. Granted, not all the recipes have odd ingredients and also the kid version often leaves those out, but all the same, if you are looking for something to make dinner right NOW, then I'd go for a different book...

Overall, a cute book with fun ideas and some tasty looking dishes. If you know how to cook and don't mind tweaking recipes, then you may like this one.

iLIVING ILG8F12 Industral Grade 3-Speed High Velocity Floor Fan, 12-Inch
iLIVING ILG8F12 Industral Grade 3-Speed High Velocity Floor Fan, 12-Inch
Offered by Sun Tech Store
Price: $34.99
8 used & new from $29.03

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, not as good as the all-metal-construction would have you believe, April 14, 2015
On the plus side:
* The motor looks to be substantial for the blade size and the blades are solid metal. Everything looks like they used high-end parts.
* There is an appreciable difference between high, medium and low.
* High moves plenty of air for its size
* The fan swivels up/down so you can point it where you want it.

On the minus side:
* Installing those stupid rubber feet was MUCH harder than it should have been and I really don't see why they couldn't have just shipped it with the feet already in place. Also, I think it would be better if the rubber itself was softer--it would have more friction and absorb more sound (rather than transferring the sound of the fan into the table that it sits on). Which leads me to...
* The fan isn't as balanced as I would like so the fan itself vibrates a bit during operation. If the fan is sitting on a wooden table (like it is for me) then you get a significant hum as long as the fan is touching the table. If I put the fan on a jacket or something soft, the hum goes away. This would be a nice solution except that since it is vibrating, if there is any incline in the table, or if the cord is pulling at all, then the item the fan is sitting on needs to have enough friction to prevent it from moving downhill/toward the socket and falling off said table.

Other notes:
* It's made in China and this experience comes complete with instructions like:
"Assembly the four rubber feet with the plastic fasteners onto the base tube.... Make sure all attachment are securely tightened. Failure to ensure that all rubber feets are engaged in the base tube holes may cause fan unstable and undesireble operation of your fan."
* I have not noticed any smell as noted by other reviewers.

Bottom line: this fan isn't going to win any awards, but it gets the job done.

Kenwood TTM610 Persona Collection Toaster with Adjustable Toasting Slot and Sandwich Basket, Silver
Price: $179.99

3.0 out of 5 stars It's fantastic, but instead I would recommend..., April 13, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
In my family, I grew up with a standard, 2-slice toaster. It was very finicky and if you wanted to make more than 2 slices of toast, your second batch was almost always going to be either way underdone or burnt. It didn't hold anything thicker than standard sliced bread. [Stick with me, this has a point, I promise...] It was spring loaded which was supposed to be convenient, but it behaved like those spring-loaded shades that you pull down and then release and they roll up... except that when they get old, you wind up pulling it down further and further before you finally get lucky. This was like that except in this case you had to bounce it in just right to keep it down and if the toaster was hot, you had to be careful not to burn your hands in the process. Then, when it was time to take the bread out, sometimes it wouldn't come back up so we often did the use-2-forks-like-chopsticks thing (I understand that was very dangerous). To clean it, we had to dump it upside down and shake it until most of the stuff fell out, but inevitably, at least a few crumbs would stick to the elements and burn the next time you turned it on.

We made due, but it seemed like everyone else had a better toaster with better features than ours. Had I gotten my hands on this back then, I would have thought I had gotten the holy grail of toasters. This toaster will adjust to take as thin or as fat of a chunk of bread as you could want to insert (and anything in between). It has a lever to push the bread down to start and back up when you are ready for it. It has a crumb tray. It also has different settings depending on what you are toasting (although, I have to admit, I'm not sure what the difference between many of those settings is...). It even comes with an insert to hold a things together so you can toast a whole sandwich if you want! (...more on that later...)

To read this, you would think I have some sort of toaster fetish. I don't--I just hated ours and that made me appreciate when I saw someone else's toaster that didn't do one of the really annoying things ours did. Then one day we finally got a *NEW* toaster... except this wasn't a normal, vertical toaster--it was a toaster OVEN. I thought for sure it would be lacking in one way or another compared to the tried-and-true vertical style toaster. To date, I haven't really found any serious faults with the toaster oven style as compared to the vertical bread style. My toaster ovens have all been able to do what any vertical style toaster could do and then some.

"And then some." For example--my favorite way to eat a bagel is to put a piece of provolone cheese (or fresh Parmesan) on a plain bagel and toast in my toaster oven for a few minutes until the cheese browns and gets all bubbly. Let's see a vertical style toaster do that!

Then I saw this fancy-shmancy Kenwood Persona toaster that advertised a basket to allow you too cook things like a panini in it. "What?" I thought. "How would they do that?" I was skeptical, but curiosity got the better of me so I grabbed one. When it came, I took it out of the box and looked at the cage--it didn't look all that special, so I read the instructions. In it, they say not to cook anything high fat (like cheese) that could drip out of the sandwich and make a mess in the bottom of the toaster. A panini with no cheese? What kind of sacrilege is that? At this point I was a bit torn--should I use it as advertised and try to cook something in it that most people would think of as a panini (that included at least some cheese), or should I use it as instructed? While I was deliberating over that, my 2 year old started playing with the toaster and somehow managed to get the sandwich cage stuck inside the toaster. I'm not sure how he did that, but it took me a minute or 2 and a fair amount of tugging, pushing, prodding, pleading and worrying that I was about to break my as-yet-unused toaster to get it back out. (Side note--nothing broke... phew).

After saving my new toaster, I found a place on the kitchen counter for it to live. I must tell you that it looks very handsome--so much so that I imagine my other counter-top appliances to be jealous of (or at least intimidated by) it. This has a smaller foot-print than my toaster oven and so originally I was going to have it take its place, but, as noted earlier, this toaster won't make my beloved cheesy-top bagel, so that means they will both have to stay.

I've toasted a few bagels and some bread in this Kenwood and at first I was a bit concerned that it would not toast evenly due to the fact that when it is on, you can see some heating elements that look considerably hotter than others (this is true of both sides--see pictures). As it turns out, this hasn't been much of a problem... but I'd also like to point out that it doesn't make toast any better than the toaster oven does, either. Now I'm wondering to myself why I would need a toaster at all if I already have a functional toaster oven...? I mean, counter top space is valuable in a smaller kitchen like mine. I have tried moving this around in an attempt to utilize a spot on the counter that I don't normally use, but apparently this doesn't like to be slid around because in doing so, one of the feet popped off (although it easily popped right back in place). Maybe I'll put this in my office downstairs so that when I get munchy, I can toast a bagel without having to come up...

Bottom line: As a vertical style toaster, this gets top marks--it's sleek and modern looking, it's highly functional and can even make a boring (i.e. no cheese) panini. HOWEVER, I still can't figure out why anyone would get a vertical style toaster if a toaster oven is an option. My advice is this: get a good, quality toaster oven and skip the vertical style toasters altogether.
Comment Comment | Permalink

SmartyPants Gummy Vitamins with Omega 3 Fish Oil and Vitamin D Diet Supplement, 120 Count
Price: $19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Tastes good, but probably unnecessary, April 3, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I talked to my pediatrician about vitamin supplements and he agrees that vitamins, minerals, etc. are all essential to the proper development of the human body BUT those various nutrients are far better for you when you get them through a balanced diet containing lots of whole foods. In his opinion, these sorts of supplements tend to do more harm to your children's teeth than they do good for their bodies (at least for most kids--there are some children that are deficient in certain vitamins, and in that case, supplements are recommended).

I suspect most readers are thinking something like, "Well, that's fine--I'll just make sure my children brush really well after eating these and then they will get at least the minimum amount of all the most important nutrients on a daily basis and we won't be promoting tooth decay, so there is no negative." Good for you--I'm glad you are interested in making sure your kids have everything they need. So let me tell you about these vitamins...

There are lots of gummy vitamin choices on the market and we have only tried a couple of them, so I'm no expert (there, disclaimer out of the way...) However, we often get the "Kirkland Signature" brand gummies from our local big-box warehouse store and my kids like those a lot. Texture-wise, these gummies are a bit softer (which I liked) but flavor-wise, we all found these gummies to be slightly inferior, though they still tasted like candy and the kids would eat as many as I would let them have (4).

Oh, yeah, speaking of "4"... other reviewers have noted that the serving size is 4 gummies. This is on par with the Kirkland Signature gummies--there the serving size is only 2 gummies, but you have to take the regular "multi-vitamin" gummies AND the "Omega-3" gummies (serving size is 2 each) to get the same set of nutrients as is offered in this product (and you could take 2 more of a 3rd set for calcium, if you want, but then you are getting something that this product doesn't offer).

On the topic of quantities, this bottle has 120 gummies in it which means if you give 1 kid a full serving each day, it will last 1 month. I have 4 kids which means this bottle would last me about 1 week. At $20/bottle, that means that if I was really good about giving all my kids their vitamins every day, I would have to spend almost $1,000 in a year on these vitamins. Ouch. Fortunately for my wallet, gummy vitamins are a "once or twice a week or so" thing at my house.

Overall, not a bad product. It tastes pretty good, you get lots of vitamins and omega-3s, and kids will take them without complaint. The price doesn't seem too far off from other products and the ingredients are mostly organic. If your child needs supplements, this is a good choice. However, if you're getting them "just because" or "just in case"... you may consider spending most or all of that $1000/year on a good, healthy diet instead.

Thule Sapling Elite Child Carrier, Slate/Cobalt
Thule Sapling Elite Child Carrier, Slate/Cobalt
Offered by BrandsWalk
Price: $319.95
7 used & new from $319.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Versitile, comfortable, VERY adjustable... Thule's got you covered, April 2, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've only recently discovered Thule and I feel like I've been missing out--they make some pretty good, quality items. You can tell that their engineering team has really thought through their product designs and tried to make something that is both highly functional and very durable. This child carrier is no exception.

The review by Andrea Polk already gives an excellent run-down of all the features and quantitative characteristics and I would recommend you look at her review for that (thanks for the detailed review, Andrea--I've voted your review as helpful). I have no desire to duplicate her work here, so let me just highlight my favorite features and give you my experience with this carrier.

I have a hand-me-down child carrier that I inherited from my big sister. It works fine, but you can tell it was cheap to begin with and has already done a fair amount of child carrying in its day. Besides be so VERY basic, there is one important difference that I noticed--this Thule carrier allows the child to take more of a sitting position as opposed to the cheap-o one that has the child in a nearly standing position (although technically still sitting since there is no weight on the feet--their weight is still on their... diaper). This makes 2 important differences
1) I suspect that the child will be more comfortable in this Thule than in the cheap-o carrier BUT
2) It means the child's center of gravity is a bit further away from me (a.k.a. the person wearing the backpack). As such, my own balance is a bit more disrupted than it was with the cheap-o carrier. If I'm just walking around Disneyland, that's not a big deal, but if I'm hiking a rocky mountain trail, that could become an issue. Perhaps it's just that I'm used to the other one and as I use this one more, I won't think it's a big deal, but it's worth noting. I'm not going to take stars off, though, because this is really just a compromise--either you can be more comfortable, or your kid can. You have to find the point that's the best mix for the two of you.

One of my favorite features is the torso height adjustments that Andrea talks about. There is a bar going across the unit (parallel to the ground) that you can adjust up or down which adjusts the native height of the shoulder straps. This is an important adjustment since you also will be wanting to wear the belt to put most of the load on your hips (and relieve your back) and the Thule implements it in a very effective and effortless-to-use manner.

Another well-implemented adjustment is for the child--you can fold in/unfold one of the pads to make the child compartment larger or smaller depending on the size of the child you are carrying. Again, the way they did it is both effective and easy to use.

I'm also a fan of the stirrups--I have often wished for those on the hand-me-down carrier I used to use.

The built in hydration pack... meh. I could take it or leave it. I'm sure there will be many people who think it's fantastic, but I don't see myself using it much. I also have mixed feelings about many of the storage compartments in the back--sure they would be good for things like diapers, but you're not going to want to put much weight back there, esp. if the kiddo you are carrying is very heavy. I *DO* like the fanny-pack style pockets on the sides, though--not only are they not going to throw off your balance, but they are easy to access while you are wearing the pack.

The only negative I found with this carrier was the feet that extend out to hold the backpack up while you load/unload it... I felt they were a bit difficult to use. I was actually a bit worried I was going to break something when I was trying to get them back in. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong... but the cheap-o carrier's foot is much easier to operate but still feels sufficiently secure. It's a little thing, though, and now that I know you just have to give it a good tug, I think we're good.

Overall, a fantastic carrier and an excellent upgrade to the one I was using. Yes, it carries a higher price tag, but you get what you pay for. I would recommend this to any of my friends with kids. Even if you aren't planning on going hiking or if you plan on using a stroller when you visit <enter your vacation destination here>, I can tell you from experience that these carriers can make life much easier--even if it's just a way to "hold" your child while doing an activity that requires 2 hands (like cooking dinner--we have used our carrier for that very purpose on many occasions). Obviously, if you are just going to use it to keep baby happy while you work on household chores, then a much cheaper model will probably do you just fine, but once you get used to it, you're likely going to decide you want to use it for those other things, too and THEN you'll want a nicer one.

Recommended.

Irish Spring Signature Hydrating Bar Soap, 6oz, 3 Count
Irish Spring Signature Hydrating Bar Soap, 6oz, 3 Count
Price: $3.97
12 used & new from $3.97

2.0 out of 5 stars I'd stick with the original, March 27, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Irish Spring is probably my favorite brand of soap. I go to my local big-box warehouse-style store and by it in bulk and happily use it on a regular basis. I also live in a desert and in the winter, my skin gets dry, so I thought I'd try this "hydrating" version out. I don't like it. Here's why:

1) Regular Irish Spring bars are rounded and contoured. This makes the soap easier to use because (a) it is easier to hold and (b) the shape makes it more accommodating to your body which is naturally rounded and contoured (I had an art teacher point out to me one time that there are no sharp angles on the human body--even a bent elbow has a rounded corner). At the risk of being too graphic, when I wash under my arms, I use the convex side and when I wash, say, my shoulders, I use the concave side. It all works out very nicely. This "MAN style" soap, on the other hand, is a huge rectangular cuboid (aka "block") of soap that is both awkward to hold and awkward to use. The new "MAN SIZED" feature is a negative in my book. If you have freakishly large hands, you may disagree... maybe.
2) This formula is too soft. I find that it does not glide over my body as well as other soaps. It does fine on areas like my shoulders and back, but for areas that have body hair, it drags and pulls. It is not super comfortable. One could argue that this is just the nature of hydrating soaps, but my wife is a regular user of Dove soap (which, as far as I'm aware, was the original "hydrating" soap) and I checked--it doesn't have this same problem. Which leads me to...
3) My skin does not feel any more "hydrated". It still looks just as dry as it did before.
4) As another reviewer pointed out, there is WAY too much green dye in this stuff. When I lather up, I am visibly green. When I rinse off, I'm standing in a green puddle. I agree with the other reviewer that while green may be their trademark of sorts, there's nothing wrong with switching to white.
5) At the time of this review, this soap is more than 2x as expensive as regular Irish Spring.
6) I had to fiddle with the packaging for nearly a minute before I finally freed my bar from its plastic prison. I suspect this had to do with trying to keep the scent of the soap contained.

Speaking of the scent... I like it, but it's fairly strong and I noticed after using it, the whole bathroom smelled like this soap for the rest of the day. I thing regular Irish Spring's scent is more gender neutral, but this "MAN soap" does have a more masculine quality to it. I have a desk job, so I don't do a lot of sweating. If I did, it may be different, but even at the end of the day, I could still smell the scent of this soap on my skin. Like I said, it's a fresh scent and overall, I like it, but it's strong enough that I think after 3 bars, I'm going to probably be done with it.

... oh, and don't get me started on this whole "MAN-this" and "MAN-that" thing that seems to be popular right now. I'll just say that overall, I think it's stupid.

Not recommended.

Seventh Generation Touch of Cloth Diapers, Size 3, 140 Count
Seventh Generation Touch of Cloth Diapers, Size 3, 140 Count
Price: $46.03

5.0 out of 5 stars I like these a lot better than I thought I would, March 27, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have recently decided that I LOVE Seventh Generation. It is because of that fact that I was willing to try these diapers. I was skeptical--I thought these would be less capable of containing messes than the leading style of diapers, but I was wrong--these do at least as well. So far, they have not leaked even when my little girl wears them overnight. They do not feel any bulkier than what I'm used to (if anything, they may be slimmer). They feel soft on the skin. There is no scent (thank goodness). They are unbleached, but they are still pretty white (most unbleached diapers are a shade of brown that is a bit unfortunate for a diaper).

The only negative I could find with these (and this is a nit-picky thing) is that when you are trying to take them out of package, they don't just slide out--they kind of stick to each other slightly so you have to sort of lift the top one off the others and THEN slide it out. No stars off, though; I can handle that and only mention it because it's a different "problem" than any other diaper I've tried.

Munchkin Warm Glow Wipe Warmer and Diaper Bag Dispenser Set (Colors may vary)
Munchkin Warm Glow Wipe Warmer and Diaper Bag Dispenser Set (Colors may vary)
Price: $30.75
9 used & new from $25.36

3.0 out of 5 stars The best I've found so far, but not perfect, March 23, 2015
This is the 2nd of these wipe warmers that I've had. I've tried a couple of warmers and this is the best that I've come across. My favorite feature is the fact that the warmer doesn't just have a cord that goes straight to the outlet--it has a disconnect feature that allows you to temporarily move it to the floor while you change your baby (which is my preferred location). However, there is one critical design flaw--the first one died because the cord gave out at the point where it disconnects. Oh, well--it lasted through 2 babies, so I thought I'd get another of the same type. Now this one is starting to do the same thing. Now, in all fairness, it DOES get tugged on from time to time by babies (or the older siblings) and if that didn't happen, I suspect even the first one would still be fine. However, in the real world, it's sometimes impossible to prevent such things. As such, I really wish that Munchkin would make their cord out of a thicker gauge wire that could withstand a bit more abuse. I would gladly pay a few extra dollars for that. ... or trade out the night light; I think that's a completely useless feature as it isn't quite bright enough to be all that helpful for middle-of-the-night changes (I'm very happy not to be in that stage anymore, by the way...).

My other beef with this product is the lid (not the little green lid, but the large lid you would open to refill). It is locked closed by 2 little "switches" on the sides. It seems that they tend to fall to the "unlocked" position at the most inconvenient times (i.e. just as you are getting ready to change a particularly messy diaper), but then when you want to open it (like if the next wipe didn't feed through the opening the way it was supposed to), you have to coax it a little too much. It's a prime example of Murphy's Law at work. I would prefer something that you press a single button and the top pops open, then you "click" it back down into place. Something like that.

Let me reiterate, however, that this is the best one I've used yet. The wipes are evenly warmed, there is no browning, they don't ever get dried out (unless you forget and leave the lid open) and it holds the right number of wipes--a large pack completely fills it which is good because you want to be able to load it with whatever brand of wipes you have at the time, but you don't want it to be so big that the heat doesn't reach the last wipes (that will always be a problem to some extent, but I have no complaints with this one). The little green lid is easy to operate and I do really appreciate being able to temporarily move it to where ever I need it. If I was in the market for another warmer, I'd get this one again (unless another version came out with a thicker cord--then I'd get that instead).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20