Profile for ut158 > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 565

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

ut158 RSS Feed (USA)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Thermos NSF/ANSI 53 Certified Tritan Water Filtration Bottle, 22-Ounce, Clear
Thermos NSF/ANSI 53 Certified Tritan Water Filtration Bottle, 22-Ounce, Clear
Offered by TheNewMall
Price: $30.75
5 used & new from $19.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than nothing, July 7, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The water at my house is kinda' gross. I've seen much worse, but I have also had much better. I thought I'd go ahead and give this a try. First, I'd like to echo what other reviewers have said--this is not great for drinking, just sipping. It filters fairly quickly, but if you want a good drink, you'll get a a couple of mouth-fulls of water and then you have to wait for 30 seconds or so for your next mouth-full. It's a slow process and to make matters worse, you're only going to get about 1 glass worth before you have to refill it. If you wanted to think ahead and fill up a pitcher so you could DRINK next time... well, sorry--you would have to fill, wait, pour, wait, pour, wait, pour, refill, wait.... etc.

As for the quality of the water--it does in fact taste better after going through the filter--less chlorine flavor. Not as good (should I say "sweet"?) as the reverse osmosis water I drink at work, but then that is a different process with different pros and cons.

... but I just cant get over how slow it is to drink from this. I guess if you work at a desk and want to get a few sips every now and then, then this could be fine, but I'm having a hard time imagining what other scenarios would work well for this bottle.

Suggested improvement:
Double the diameter of the bottle, and make it just a little taller with the added volume going to the filtered side.
Advantages:
1) the larger filter would be able to filter more water in the same amount of time (i.e. less time to the next sip)
2) the larger diameter would allow both more filtered and unfiltered water (less refilling)
3) the larger volume of filtered water would allow you to do less sipping and more drinking.
Disadvantages:
1) more expensive to produce
2) whereas it MAY fit in some cars' drink holders, it wouldn't after making it twice as wide

I think with the suggested improvement, I would recommend this product. As it is, though, you may want to look for a pitcher-style filter and then pour the filtered water into a regular (or better yet--insulated) bottle.

Ziploc Space Bag 15 Bag Space Saver Set
Ziploc Space Bag 15 Bag Space Saver Set
Offered by Grocery Trip Saver
Price: $27.48
72 used & new from $21.63

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, but I would adjust the packaging, June 30, 2014
I used these to shrink an overflowing closet of comforters, pillows and blankets into a package small enough to fit between my headboard and the wall with room to spare (it's a sleigh bed, so there's a bit of a curve to the headboard and that leaves nearly a foot at the base between the bed and the wall). I expected significant space savings, but the end result was better than I had hoped. Since other reviewers have said that the bags leak over time, I took the added precaution of wrapping small stacks of these bags in stretch wrap. Hopefully that will make them last until winter comes around again...

I didn't have any problems with bags tearing or anything like that. I think if you are having these sorts of troubles, you are over-stuffing your bags.

...which leads me to my 1 complaint--if you read the description, you'll see that the last 3 bags are 2 suitcase roll-up bags and 1 carry-on roll-up bag. Nowhere does it say that "roll-up bag" = no suction valve like all the other bags have. I'm not quite sure what to do with what is essentially 3 very large freezer bags... Also, note that the ONLY difference between the "Medium" and the "suitcase" bags is the lack of valve (they are exactly the same size). On a more nit-picky level, I get somewhat annoyed with the marketing ploy of having large, extra large and jumbo, but no small, extra small, or minute. So, if you were to ask me, if you buy this set you get 1 XL bag, 3 large, 4 medium, and 4 small for a total of **12** (not 15) bags. As a bonus, you get an additional 3 zip-top bags with no valve (aka roll-up bags) in 2 different sizes that I'm not exactly sure what you would do with...

If it were up to me, I'd get rid of the 3 roll-up bags altogether and then upgrade one of the medium (or what I would call "small") bags to one of the larger sizes. I doubt this would cost them any more and the end user (you) would wind up with a much more useful set.

HTC One M8 Harman/Kardon Edition, Black 32GB (Sprint)
HTC One M8 Harman/Kardon Edition, Black 32GB (Sprint)
Price: $679.99

5.0 out of 5 stars UMATCHED AUDIO QUALITY, June 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The description boasts "UMATCHED AUDIO QUALITY" and I have to agree--this sounds better than my wife's iPhone 5 and WAY better than my Galaxy S4. (I'd take the time to beef about the audio of the S4, but that's another review...)

I'm used to the Android interface of my Verizon Galaxy and so I really like it a lot better than the HTC's version, but I feel that's a matter of opinion, so I won't change my star rating at all...

As I've mentioned in other reviews, I'm not a big fan of capacitive buttons. I like a real button that gives you tactile feedback before you even press it (and for tactile feedback, I mean I like to feel WHERE my finger is, not just that I touched something so the heptic feedback doesn't count). Everything seems to be getting away from that and this phone doesn't have any "real" buttons on the front--it's all capacitive. For me, that's a step down and I would take a 1/2 star off for that if I could.

The camera works great. One feature I liked was that it will let you take panoramas in BOTH the up/down AND left/right in the same shot (so you can do what I believe is called a "sphere" picture). It did a pretty good job at it, too.

I'll let you read the other reviews for the rest of the details--they have already covered it pretty well...

Linksys WRT1900AC Dual Band Smart Wi-Fi Wireless AC Router (2.4 + 5GHz)
Linksys WRT1900AC Dual Band Smart Wi-Fi Wireless AC Router (2.4 + 5GHz)
Price: $234.77
14 used & new from $218.79

3.0 out of 5 stars What's with all the licensing?, June 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Back in the old days, you would plug your router in, navigate to 192.168.0.1 (or similar), enter in a default username and password, and then configure all the settings. The problem is that, while that works great for advanced users, and even moderate users, the beginners kept leaving their routers totally unsecured and that led to problems. In response, router companies started providing software with their routers that would walk you through a wizard-like interface to help all the noobs remember all the steps. However, you could still go to 192.168.0.1.

That's sort of the case here, but we seem to have taken one more step in that direction. This router won't let you just navigate to 192.168.0.1 without first accepting all their terms and conditions, privacy policy, etc. and then setting up an account with them. What? Yeah, that's what I thought.

So here's how it goes. When you first power up your router and navigate to 192.168.0.1, you have to accept the license terms on the very first page in order just to use the router. There is an option to skip the setup and configure manually, but even if you do this, you cannot proceed to the next step with accepting their terms.
After you do that, you must create a Linksys account. That requires more terms and conditions and you have to accept their privacy policy, as well. Note that the privacy policy states that they use information they collect about you to (among other things) "measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others who visit Belkin websites and to deliver relevant personalized advertising to you and others." So if I understand this correctly, if you use their router, they will require you to set up an account so they can deliver better ads to you on their web sites. Cute. (Note that if you do the standard setup, you are encouraged to set up a linksys account, but not required and therefore you do not need to accept the privacy policy. Why? You got me.) Note also that you must confirm your email account if you setup a Linksys account (so make sure it's real). You may consider using a throw-away address for this purpose--that's what I usually do...

I have set up many a router in my day and have never had to do such a thing. Personally, I feel that there is WAY too much licensing in the world these days and we don't need Linksys to add to the fray. I'm deducting a whopping 2 stars for this nonsense!

Now, on to the router itself...

This thing has a rather large footprint, esp. with all 4 antennas attached and extended. It is also rather heavy for a router. Is this bad? Not necessarily, but something worth noting. Something else worth noting is that there is a fan built into the unit and vents on the top. There is also a warning that says not to put anything on top of the unit or it will overheat. So--large footprint, nothing on top. Got it? Good. Note that I think you can hang it on the wall and that would eliminate any space issues this could introduce. You know--assuming you have the wall space for that.

I personally felt the web interface was a bit overly simplistic, but all the features that I usually use were there, so I guess I can't complain too much...

I cannot find anything that says if the WAN port is 100 Mbps or 1 Gbps. The documentation implies that it is NOT gigabit because all it says on the matter is that the router has 4 gigabit LAN ports with no mention of the WAN port. I would think that if it was a gigabit router, they would say so right there. On the other hand, when I plug it into a gigabit switch, the switch shows a gigabit connection. My interpretation is that the WAN port is gigabit, but they aren't going to guarantee gigabit throughput and so they just don't mention it. I could be wrong, and if anyone knows for sure one way or the other, I'd be happy to know... Having said that, I have a 100 Mbps connection in my house and a bandwidth speed test through the router shows 93.66 down and 94.74 up (2ms ping) which shows that it can handle at least that speed.

Now let's talk about the power. The power adapter large provides 12V at (brace yourself) 4 amps. If this were a power saw or a hair dryer, that would be nothing, but for a router that's on 24/7, that's a lot of juice. As a comparison, most of my other (older) routers' power supplies only provide up to 1 amp. One other router that doubles as a NAS (it has a hard drive built in) only requires up to 3 amps. I'm starting to understand why they are worried about the thing overheating... Now, to be fair, it doesn't actually draw 4 amps of power under normal circumstances. In fact, when I plugged it in and measured its actual usage, it idled just under 0.2 amps. I suspect if I were to load it up with a bunch of traffic, add filtering rules and what-not, that it would show much higher usage, but I wasn't able to measure it in that state.

As far as range goes, I was able to set this up in my basement and then go outside and I still got 2-3 bars of signal in a spot that all my previous routers were unable to reach. Out of curiosity, I decided to walk further away and I got all the way to the corner of my yard with 1 bar remaining (granted, it's a small yard). The range on this is MUCH better than ANY of my older routers. I don't know if that's a result of the beam-forming, the fact that it has 4 antennas, a stronger signal, or what, but this thing's got range.

Bottom line: Great performance router with the annoyance of having to accept terms, conditions and a privacy policy to set up a (mostly) mandatory account with Linksys (Belkin). If you are lucky enough to have a gigabit Internet connection to your house, you'll need to double check with Linksys to see if this can handle those kinds of speeds over the WAN port, but for the rest of this, you should be good to go. If you aren't technically savvy, then the simple set up interface should make you smile.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 30, 2014 7:53 AM PDT

Huggies Little Movers Diapers, Size 5, 132 Count
Huggies Little Movers Diapers, Size 5, 132 Count
Price: $47.19
6 used & new from $47.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with these, June 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I would like to echo the excellent review by >miss kris new york "Miss Kris"< by saying that to a large extent, whether or not a certain brand of diaper fits well / leaks / sags is as much a factor of the shape of your baby as it is the design of the diaper ("Miss Kris" just says it in a much more amusing way <grin>). From my observation, Huggies tends to do better on our more substantial kids and Pampers seems to have done better on our skinnier kids.

Having said that, I can tell you right now that when our "little human #1" was in diapers, Huggies were about the worst fit we could put on her--it was all about Pampers for her. "Little Human #2" had all kinds of issues with Pampers and did much better with Huggies and Costco's "Kirkland Signature" brand diapers. Little Human #3 (the one trying out these "Little Movers") is pretty flexible with daytime diapers, but tends to wake up a soggy mess in the morning in anything we've tried except the extra absorbent night time diapers OR THESE DIAPERS(so big plus there).

One thing I really like about these diapers is the Velcro is more than just the usual little strip--the tabs act as the "hook" part of the Velcro (as normal) but then further in they act as the "loop" and the ends of the front of the diaper are the hook. The result is a very secure diaper that doesn't bunch up--useful for when you try and diaper a wiggly baby.

Another plus is that these diapers are not perfumed at all. I'm not into the whole perfuming thing. Yuck.

**UPDATE**
Having used these diapers for a little while now, they are really starting to become my favorites for "Little Human #3". He appears very comfortable in them, they almost never leak, and they are very secure.

Babyganics Mineral-Based Sunscreen Spray, SPF 50, 6oz, 2 Count, Packaging May Vary
Price: $25.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Very light scent, June 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I thought all sunscreens smelled the same. You know--that sunscreen smell. This doesn't have that. It almost doesn't have a smell at all and the smell that is there is not like the sunscreen smell that I know--it's more flowery. I put it on my baby and it didn't leave a sticky or greasy residue. She didn't get a sunburn, either, but we were only in the sun for an hour or so, so I'll need to be out in it longer before I can say for sure that it works just as well as any other stuff I've tried, but I don't have any reason to doubt thus far. I like this--I'll get it again.

Recommended.

Ortho 0438580 Grass-B-Gon Ready to Use Garden Grass Killer, 24-Ounce
Ortho 0438580 Grass-B-Gon Ready to Use Garden Grass Killer, 24-Ounce
Price: $6.49
22 used & new from $5.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Patience is required, June 24, 2014
** ORIGINAL REVIEW **
I sprayed this several times. It didn't hurt the ground cover, but the grass didn't even turn brown except the tips.

** UPDATE **
So, I wrote that about a week and a half after purchasing the product. As far as I was aware, nothing happened. HOWEVER, another week or 2 after I wrote that, I noticed that all the grass was dying and was not growing back. Gosh, I'm sorry, Grass-B-Gon... I guess you were working after all! You just have to be patient. I'm going to buy some more for a different bed...

Samsung BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray Disc Player
Samsung BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray Disc Player
Price: Click here to see our price
35 used & new from $49.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Small footprint, easy to use, no real options for connectivity, June 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Let me start with the disclaimer that I am not very picky about my DVD/Blu-ray player. Having said that, here are my impressions:

Apps are front and center and easy to find and use, although I must admit I didn't really play with them very much because I don't need them because I use (and love) my Roku.

Miracast worked well with pretty much no set-up (I had a couple issues with it at first, but I think it was related to my phone and not this player because once I reset my phone, it worked fine). Note that (as far as I'm aware) Roku cannot do Miracast, so this is nice.

Firmware updates are stupid-easy.

The player itself is light, small and thin. Note that you must use the HDMI output as that is all there is (besides an optical audio output). I would like to have seen more connectivity options, but this will be sufficient in probably 80% (or more) of the cases of people wanting to use it. Also, the buttons are on top of the player and are capacitive buttons rather than physical push-buttons. Call me old-fashioned, but I'm not crazy about capacitive buttons--I like the tactile feedback of real buttons. Also, placing them on top of the player means I can't put stuff on on top of it. Or... I just have to always use the remote, which I pretty much always do, anyway.

I don't have a 3D TV, so I cannot speak about the 3D capabilities of this player.

Overall, this player works fine. Don't expect this to cook you breakfast or clip your toenails--yes, they put some apps on, but as other reviewers point out, there aren't a whole lot of options, and so I'll continue using my Roku which leaves this as just a disc player. You must use the HDMI output, so make sure you aren't trying to use old equipment with this. Also, you can't stack equipment on top if you want to use the local "buttons". Still, I don't have any complaints about the disc playing, and--let's face it--that's the reason to get a disc player, right? I think there are better options, but this one isn't bad and the price is pretty reasonable.

Samsung SL-M2885FW/XAA Wireless Monochrome Printer with Scanner, Copier and Fax
Samsung SL-M2885FW/XAA Wireless Monochrome Printer with Scanner, Copier and Fax
Price: $220.99
24 used & new from $100.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast and easy, June 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Setting this up on my network was a piece of cake. The included software (you can use the CD that comes with it or just go grab the latest online) handles everything and walks you through it step by step. At no point during the short process did I have to wonder if I was selecting the right choice.

I actually have this set up on my network AND I also have a USB connection to my main computer. The USB connection is not necessary, but it makes scanning documents into 3rd party programs a bit easier. Speaking of scanning, I have been using this to scan a bunch of old documents in my filing cabinet into electronic form so I can shred the old stuff and save space. The automatic document feeder has gotten a good work out and I've gotta' say that it does a great job! You are limited about 38 pages of standard weight paper, though. If you go over that, it starts having problems (more is fine if you are using a lighter-weight paper; I was able to do 56 pages when scanning in old bills). Since I was scanning in documents, I was just using black-and-white or gray-scale (not color) and so it was very fast--each page took about 3 seconds to scan (plus a couple of seconds to process at the end of the batch) and the auto document feeder did a great job, even handling paper that was differently sized, had previously gotten wet and was now a bit crunchy and wrinkled, and paper that had been torn and wasn't perfectly straight at the bottom. I was impressed. Note, I did have it skip a page once or twice, but that was only when I was trying to jam more than 40 pages in. As long as I stayed under that, it did great.

The program that reads from the scanner is somewhat less than exciting--it has limited settings and selections and it crashed on me about 10% of the time. Still, that's software and can be replaced by something else, so no stars off (this is a review of the hardware).

I would really have liked it if it could scan and print 11x14 and if it could print color, but at this price point, it is perfectly fair that it does not. Also, the unit is pretty compact compared to some other all-in-one machines I've seen and that would only bulk it up. Still.... it would have been nice to have been able to replace my color printer, but I guess I'll have to keep it around...

Printing is also very fast. Granted, the printer I have been using is at least 10 years old, but this thing is easily 10x faster and I'm thrilled about that. The printing was also nice and clear and sharp, just as one would expect.

I messed around a little with the NFC printing capabilities, but to be hones, I have yet to think of a scenario where that would be useful. I'm sure someone else would like this, but I just can't think of when I'd need to do it...

Overall, very happy with this device and at this price, I'd recommend it to anyone looking for an all-in-one as along as they are OK with black-and-white only printing.

DII 100-percent Polyester, Machine Washable Tablecloth Wine 52 x 70"
DII 100-percent Polyester, Machine Washable Tablecloth Wine 52 x 70"
Price: $16.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to clean, June 3, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The kids were doing an art project at the table the other day and spilled glitter glue ALL OVER this table cloth. They then crumpled it up and threw it in the laundry (without telling me about it) until the glue dried. I thought for sure there would be some permanent ramifications to this, but after going through the wash, there is not a sign of the mess. I realize at least part of the credit should go the glue they were using (that is--good job glue company for making a washable glue), but it quickly instilled confidence in this fabric's ability to resist stains. Not that I want to destroy this thing, or anything like that, but I'm curious what else will wash out. Maybe we should have some sloppy joes for dinner some time soon...

I will say that I do not care for the texture of the fabric. This is a personal thing, but I find the rough texture (which very likely contributes to the fabric's stain resistant properties) is unpleasant to the touch. Don't read too much into that--it isn't like burlap or anything, and nobody else in my family has made a complaint about it, but me, personally--I don't like it. I think this is kind of like how some people hate the way cotton balls feel and others don't mind (or even like it)--maybe I'm just weird like that...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20