Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Beach House $5 Off Fire TV Stick Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Disney Infinity 3.0 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day
Profile for ut158 > Reviews

Browse

ut158's Profile

Customer Reviews: 522
Top Reviewer Ranking: 862

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

ut158 RSS Feed (USA)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Panasonic RP-HJX5-R In-Ear Drops360' Headphone, Red
Panasonic RP-HJX5-R In-Ear Drops360' Headphone, Red
Price: Click here to see our price
19 used & new from $38.93

4.0 out of 5 stars A good set, August 28, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
A perfectly decent sounding set of headphones.

PROS
* The frequency response seems fairly flat to me--the bass is certainly there but not at all too boomy.
* The wires themselves do not transfer much sound to the ear piece. I'm referring to how some ear buds go into your ears and then every time you touch any part of the wire, you hear it in your ear. I can hear when I rub the wire that is close to the ear bud itself (unsurprisingly) but the sound transference quickly dies off as you move away. Yes it does still transfer some sound, but it's much better than some other ear buds I've tried.
* I like the color (red)
* A good fit with a proper seal. Comes with different sized "pads" for different sized ears
* Small and light
* The wire is amply long
* Comes with a carrying case

CONS
* There is no obvious indication as to which ear bud is "Left" and which is "right". As I looked closely, I observed that one ear bud has a slight nub and the other does not. I would have guessed that meant right. It actually meant left. As looked even closer, I did find an L and an R hidden on the top of the inner side of the inlet. I would have liked it if they were a bit easier to see.
* Just a bit on the pricey side for earbuds

BOTTOM LINE
I'm happy with this set and I'll continue to use them frequently.

Folkmanis Tyrannosaurus Rex Hand Puppet
Folkmanis Tyrannosaurus Rex Hand Puppet
Price: $22.03
27 used & new from $14.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite, August 27, 2015
We love this puppet:
* It's a Good size--nice and big without being ridiculous or unwieldy for small hands
* The body is nice and squishy
* The fabric has a great "scaly" quality to it
* The teeth look good, but are soft (so they won't hurt anyone, even if your little one decides to "bite" his/her sibling)
* You can put your fingers in the "arms" or use your hand to move the mouth. (Note: it's too big to do both)

If we were going to be picky, then I suppose I could find fault with the seam running down the middle of mouth (inside) which is slightly uncomfortable. That and if your arm is big, you may have a hard time getting it in the hole. But now we're splitting hairs.

This is a great toy--highly recommended.

Extech Instruments CA3018 3000A AC Flex Clamp-On Adaptor
Extech Instruments CA3018 3000A AC Flex Clamp-On Adaptor
Price: $159.99
3 used & new from $151.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Check your test leads first, August 26, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The features list, "Compatible with most multimeters and clamp meters with standard sized banana plug inputs." I'm not an electrician, so I wasn't sure exactly what that meant, but when I looked at the picture of the electrician using this adapter on his multimeter, I thought, "Yes, that's more or less what my multimeter looks like--it should work." It doesn't. It would appear that my multimeter, that I've had for years does not accept "standard sized banana plug inputs", even though it looks the same as the example. The test leads that come with my multimeter more closely resemble an RCA plug. I've done some more looking around, I think another term for these "standard sized" plugs is "shrouded banana plug". If you look at the leads in the picture, you can see why--there is nothing sticking out.

I have to think that the "RCA" style plug that my multimeter uses isn't unique and as such, it would have been nice if Extech had included some sort of adapter to give it a more broad compatibility. I would further guess that there may be other styles besides, and adapters for these could have been nice, too. I feel pretty confident that such adapters wouldn't cost more than a couple dollars. Then again, if you have the wrong type of multimeter inputs, I suppose Extech wouldn't be at all upset if you purchased one of their multimeters in order to get this to work. That's what I'm going to wind up doing (unless of course I get a different brand instead... haven't decided yet...)

That being the case, I can't really try this out yet, but I have made a few observations:
1) The yellow cable is very flexible. It is also very easy to disconnect and reconnect the one end which makes it very easy to use.
2) From a user interface standpoint, I find it odd that the LED blinks slowly to indicate a full battery charge and blinks more rapidly to indicate that it is time to replace them. Sure, I can use that, but it isn't intuitive. If it were me, I'd have it on solid when the device was on, and off when the device was off. I'd have the LED green when the battery was good and red when it was time to replace. This added functionality would probably cost an extra dollar. It would be worth it.
3) As noted above, I'd include some adapters for other types of multimeters. Another couple of dollars, still worth it.

Jurassic Park Mega-Strike T-Rex Action Figure
Jurassic Park Mega-Strike T-Rex Action Figure
Price: $29.99
67 used & new from $29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Noisy, but the kids love him, August 24, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Let me start off by saying that although the "Chomping Jaws" are heavily advertised, I don't see it. I mean, I can manually move the jaws and I can see that it may twitch a little bit when I move the dino around, but I would hardly call it "Chomping".

Other than that, it was at least as cool as I would have expected--it can stand in a low crouch or stand tall, when you stand it up tall it does an impressive roar and if you articulate the ankle, it makes a crashing-through-the-forest stomping sound. the tail and the neck are made of a rubber-like material that allows lots of movement (the neck has a plastic-feeling "skeleton" of sorts underneath). All very nice. The sounds are quite loud, which for a parent it a bit annoying, but the kids think it's cool.

I was a little worried that the toy would be a bit too scary for my little kids, so I tried it out on my almost-3-year-old first. When he saw it he gave an excited, but sort of nervous laugh, but very quickly got to playing with it and thought it was awesome. My 1 year old was scared of it. At first she didn't want to have anything to do with it, but when I showed her that it was just a toy and that she could be the one to cause it to make the sounds, etc., she changed her mind and thought it was fun, too. Then they both played with it for quite some time before the 1 year old had had enough and moved on. My almost-3-year-old is still telling everyone that he has a T-Rex and seems very proud of it. I'd call that a win.

I'm not sure how much longer I can listen to the noises, though. Putting packing tape over the speaker holes helps a lot. As long as the almost-3-year-old leaves it there, I think we'll all be happy...

AmazonBasics Apple Certified Lightning to USB Cable - 6 Feet (1.8 Meters) - White
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cable, August 24, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've already tried Lightning cables made by Belkin and was very happy with their performance, but I needed one more that I could just keep in the car for when my phone needs a boost while I'm away. I didn't have high hopes for this AmazonBasics cable because the picture looks like you're going to get a flimsy product, but once I was able to hold it, feel it, bend it and use it, I changed my mind. It works just as well as the Belkin cords which in turn work just as well as the original Apple cables. This is the least expensive of all the options and I don't see any reason not to get it vs. the other choices.

Recommended.

Belkin USB 2.0 Ethernet Adapter (F4U047bt)
Belkin USB 2.0 Ethernet Adapter (F4U047bt)
Offered by Technology Galaxy
Price: $20.95
13 used & new from $13.40

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy, August 23, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was installing this on a Windows 7 x64 box. Others have stated that it works without having to install a separate driver, however that was not my experience. I did have to manually install a driver, however it was a painless process. Everything else worked as expected.

APC C20B AV C Type 8 Outlet Power Filter, 120V
APC C20B AV C Type 8 Outlet Power Filter, 120V
Price: $45.95
21 used & new from $45.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A great "power strip" for the price, August 20, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Pros:
Separate banks for high current devices and sensitive digital devices
Isolation between outlets to prevent interference between devices (not sure how necessary this is, but we'll take it)
LEDs are a very pleasant blue color and not too bright
rotating power block gives some degree of flexibility (however, don't get too excited about it--I think this has more to do with marketing than utility)
Reasonable price
Clean, slick look

Cons:
None found yet

Bottom line:
recommended

LeapFrog LeapTV: Disney Frozen: Arendelle's Winter Festival Educational, Active Video Game
Price: $24.63
9 used & new from $22.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A cute title that captures the kids' attention, August 20, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
OK, let's be clear--for me, personally, the game stinks. But the game is not for ME, it's for little kids and kids don't care about things like cheesy story lines, lower resolution graphics, or repetitive tasks. For kids, it's lots of fun and as they answer questions throughout the game, the questions go from very easy (ex. simple number identification) to more complex (ex. equations).

There is a variety of games that kids will love. One of the favorites was jewelry making (answer some math questions, then decorate some jewelry and finally take a selfie with that jewelry superimposed on the picture). What little girl (and even some little boys) wouldn't like to do that? Other games included hill sliding, ice skating, snow ball throwing, and ice sculpting. Each one has you answer some questions (identify shapes, put numbers in order, solve simple equations, etc.) and then do the activity. As you do each, you earn ice crystals which you can trade for "keepsakes" that you can then place in your palace room.

Like most LeapTV games, there are 3 different ways to play: using the standard joystick on the controller, transforming the controller into a pointer (like the Wii) or using your body with the camera (like Xbox kinnect). The"Kinnect" style games are a bit difficult to control from time to time due to limitations in the hardware, however, most of the time, they work great.

The kids had a lot of fun playing this game and I like that it has some educational value to it. The game is engaging enough that the kids are happy to keep answering the questions in order to keep doing the activities.

Chrono Bomb Action Game
Chrono Bomb Action Game
Price: $24.99
12 used & new from $23.00

3.0 out of 5 stars An excellent idea--needs some polish, August 17, 2015
This review is from: Chrono Bomb Action Game (Toy)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The kids were very excited about this game and ran up to their room to try it out. I few problems were immediately apparent:
1) It must be used in a confined space
2) The sensor is difficult to set up

For #1--there is about 30 feet of string which sounds good, but unless you are setting it up in a very small space, it is difficult to put enough string in a 3 dimensional space to be dense enough to be difficult for a small body to crawl through. The first few set-ups I tried were woefully inadequate and the girls were able to zip right through with little or no effort. Once we added some chairs and things to the room, we were able to make a small enough space that the string could zig-zag close enough to itself to provide a challenge. Note that I don't think longer string is necessarily the answer, either because of the sensor...
Which brings us to #2: the sensor is VERY sensitive--so much so that it was very difficult to set it up without it just going off all the time, totally unprovoked. I don't know--maybe we were doing something wrong, but the darn thing kept triggering no matter how we positioned it, even if nothing was touching any string anywhere. This is why I was saying more string probably wouldn't help #1--longer string would mean you would need a more sensitive trigger, but my experience was that we have already made it too sensitive to be able to use without a LOT of caressing and teasing.

As a bonus #3, once we got it set up and were not getting false alerts, I noticed that you could gently bump a few strings without triggering it. Again, maybe I'm doing something wrong here, but it just didn't really seem to work the way I had expected.

Now, on a positive note--if you get it all set up just right and then you play with the expectation that you'll really need to do more than just brush a string, then it works great and in that vein, I'll tell you that the girls like it. However, I find it has about as much frustration built in as it does fun. It needs some improvements...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 18, 2015 9:13 AM PDT

VTech Write and Learn Creative Center
VTech Write and Learn Creative Center
Price: $24.99
7 used & new from $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A large drawing surface = WIN, August 10, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First and foremost, the surface that you write on is much bigger than any other magnetic-pen toys I have bought in the past. This large surface area is an immediate win as anyone who has ever tried to write on a smaller version would be able to tell you because the result of what you are drawing is like a really low-resolution version of pencil and paper. Thus, if you have a small area to work on in the first place, you'll be lucky to write your full name on the pad and still have it be legible. This larger surface area makes it so you can draw something more complex then a stick person or a rock.

This also comes with stamps and stencils and the kids have really liked those. The electronic features are a bit of a yawn in my opinion. Bad? No, just not necessary.

The only "con" to this product is that it comes in the opposite of frustration-free wrapping (I guess we could call that frustration inducing wrapping). Other than that, I'm very happy with this toy and the kids have been having a lot of fun with it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20