Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for Gavin Reviews > Reviews

Browse

Gavin Reviews' Profile

Customer Reviews: 21

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Gavin Reviews RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Terrasoul Superfoods Raw Cacao Powder (Organic), 16-ounce
Terrasoul Superfoods Raw Cacao Powder (Organic), 16-ounce
Offered by Terrasoul Superfoods
Price: $10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a fermented raw cocoa!, May 13, 2014
I try to eat high raw, and cocoa is a simple thing to consume in that form - after all it doesn't taste much different. Supposedly. But the issue is most raw cocoas are not fermented, and are thus quite high in phytic acid, which can cause mineral deficiencies. Finally this company came out with a very affordable FERMENTED raw cocoa that is delicious, easily digestible, and probiotic. I use it for smoothies, raw desserts, and even cooked desserts. A great cocoa, and I'm thrilled it's organic.

Terrasoul Superfoods Vanilla Bean Powder (Organic), 5 Pack Case
Terrasoul Superfoods Vanilla Bean Powder (Organic), 5 Pack Case

5.0 out of 5 stars Convenient, Delicious, Fairly Priced, May 13, 2014
I'm not a raw foodist, but I do try to eat high raw. Oddly enough, vanilla is a problem I've run into. I'm not worried about consuming a little vanilla that has been cooked, but extracts always made my raw desserts taste like alcohol. This was a perfect solution, I can add as much vanilla flavor as I want, without the product tasting like vodka. This also works excellently in smoothies, where I use it daily. The vanilla flavor is great, not as good as the divine Tahitian vanilla bean, but definitely above par, especially if you are used to extracts. The powder works great in baking as well, particularly in products like macaroons and angel food cake where liquid can ruin the recipe.

Shatter Me
Shatter Me
Price: $10.39
98 used & new from $9.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Different feel, excellent delivery, May 13, 2014
This review is from: Shatter Me (Audio CD)
I'm a huge fan of Lindsey Stirling's music, it's unique and powerful. I bought this album the day it came out and I absolutely love it! The feel is a bit different in the album, less pop and more... epic? I could see a lot of the music being put into movies. I think this album was created for the readers, the gamers, the movie nerds. People who enjoy entertaining the thought of another, fictional, world. I think that is what this album spoke, and it is awesome. I love listening to this while it's raining!

Afloat
Afloat
by Erin Healy
Price: $13.93
81 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Afloat by Berin Healy, May 6, 2013
This review is from: Afloat (Paperback)
Beautiful homes built on the water might just be the way of the future, as architect Vance Nolan sees it. But just as his dream is becoming a reality, disaster strikes. A sinkhole endangers several lives, including those of Danielle Clement and her son Simeon. In the aftermath of the disaster, merciless rain and rising waters ensue, stranding everyone in a single building. It becomes survival of the fittest when it is discovered murders are among them.

Afloat dives straight into the heart of the story. There is a beautiful symbiosis between suspense and plot. Just enough backstory is initially revealed for initial hook, and an alternating blend in the rest of the story keeps you perfectly ensnared. In such a seemingly confined setting, my mind roamed free.

Since these stranded, survival of the fittest type stories can occasionally be cliché, I would like to point out that this is in no way the case for Afloat. The story was loaded with unexpected turns, both in happenings and in characters. My mental view of the story world was just stunning and in great detail, yet I never felt any descriptions dragged on.

I loved the spiritual elements in the story. Often times the theme can be so very monotonous in a Christian fiction, but this story mixed things up a bit and even had multiple points. The supernatural element that is trademark in Erin's work has a milder tone in this novel than some of her other works, but still plays a notable part. Eagerly awaiting the next Erin Healy novel!

Lindsey Stirling
Lindsey Stirling
16 used & new from $13.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected, but Awesome!, April 30, 2013
This review is from: Lindsey Stirling (Audio CD)
I discovered this artist by accident- she came up on one of my Pandora stations. Her music is simply excellent. A lot of epic feel, with a decidedly techno voice and of course it is all violin. It may sound weird but it's actually really cool and I love to listen to it while I write.

Vapors
Vapors
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Concise and Impacting, April 21, 2013
This review is from: Vapors (Kindle Edition)
In the future, when all of our records are lost, two archaeologists are trying to unlock the history of our time. The men, Kerry Wellington and Hugh Treviño, are aided with a tool previously unavailable to humans. They have a machine that is able to resurrect the dead. When they bring back a young woman, the first human ever to be resurrected by such means, she reveals a past that neither Kerry nor Hugh imagined.

Vapors is an excellent short story that feels like it's not. And by that I mean in some ways it feels like the beginning of a novel but still contains all the components to make it independent. Though a quick read, it is flawlessly written and leaves a lasting impression. I was quite impressed at how well the character development played out. The moral was excellent and left a lasting impression.

Iscariot: A Novel of Judas
Iscariot: A Novel of Judas
by Tosca Lee
84 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh, insightful take on the story we all know, April 18, 2013
Judas Iscariot. The man who betrayed God. The man whose very name has become synonymous with infidelity. The man who had all the guilt of the world on his shoulders, and ultimately succumbed to it. We think we know him in all his single-mindedness, but do we really?

Beginning with his childhood, Tosca Lee dives into the life of Judas Iscariot-unearthing some circumstances and the political and religious atmosphere that may have ultimately contributed to his behavior. Allowing us a glimpse of who this man may have been, Tosca brings new depth to this story of betrayal, and makes us all wonder: are we really so different?

When I first heard that Tosca's new novel would be about the life of Judas Iscariot, I was quite surprised. By that time I had read Demon: A Memoir so it wasn't really the subject of a character shrouded in darkness that threw me off guard. No, it was reading the thoughts and emotions of the man who betrayed Jesus to death, and was so crushed by the guilt that he took his own life.

Then, another thought hit me. Jesus would be a character in this book. Rather, Jesus would be the highlight in this book. Because what book that contains him does not feature the son of God as the highlight?

And so, when my copy arrived, I began- not quite sure what to expect. The story did begin with the childhood of Judas. A vivid world was painted with a history largely unknown to me. The possible atmosphere Judas grew up in was very intriguing and was really a story in itself. So the story was definitely about Judas, but also as much about Jesus. The anticipation of the coming messiah, the experiences Judas shared with Jesus, and the way he was always on the disciple's mind.

Overall, I loved the fresh view of the stories I have heard so many times before. The retelling made me think things through in a more complete scope as sometimes it can be easy to be ignorant of the implications of some things Jesus said or did, simply because we do not have the same customs or situation that those living in Israel did two millennia ago.

Stress Test
Stress Test
by Richard L. Mabry
Price: $13.31
75 used & new from $0.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Stress Test by Richard L. Mabry, April 11, 2013
This review is from: Stress Test (Paperback)
Dr. Matt Newman is suddenly kidnapped on his way home from the hospital. The kidnappers intend to kill him but Matt manages to escape- or so he thinks. He awakens in the ICU with injuries only to find he is being charged with murder. His carefully planned life may be erased all by a single incident. His only hope may be in a woman who swore she would not deal with doctors again.

Stress Test pulls you straight into the action, wasting no time. While this approach can sometimes cause an air of confusion and disconnection from the characters, this proved not to be the case for this novel. Despite starting off with characters already in the middle of their own crises, it was quite easy to connect with them and I loved how realistic they were in their actions and emotions.

Being sort of a medical suspense book and with the protagonist being a doctor, the story also included quite a few "mini stories" of individual medical emergencies. I found this to be quite a fascinating break from the main plot, almost serving the same purpose that poems or quotes do in some other novels. And yet they still pulled into the main theme and even the non-medical based happenings had their own twist with the meticulous yet rhythmic attention to detail. An excellent suspense novel featuring its own unique voice.

The Night Circus
The Night Circus
by Erin Morgenstern
Price: $8.92
370 used & new from $0.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Far from an ordinary tale, but fascinating, April 8, 2013
This review is from: The Night Circus (Paperback)
Opens at Nightfall
Closes at Dawn
Le Cirque des RÍves is circus unlike any other. Open only during the night this circus insinuates to be more than festive entertainment. Saturated with unbelievable acts and sights the colourless circus is to many, so much more

But the circus carries a secret. Two magicians are battling each other to the death behind the scenes and every patron who walks in is at risk.

I can honestly say with all sincerity, The Night Circus is unlike any book I have ever read. While I have read a great many stories, I've read of many fantasy worlds that can draw you right in, mysteries that can make your heart pound as if the story is truly real, and dystopian realities that can force you into survival mode, this book seems to be in a genre of its own. While dubbed a romance novel, I found this to be only partially true. It is really more of a dream put to ink.

When I describe it as a dream, I do not mean fanciful daydreams or haunting nightmares. I mean the type of dream a reader might actually have. It is a strange tale, full of magic, duels, food, the circus, and surreal beauty. The novel felt so oddly familiar, though I knew it was from vague memories of my own dreams.

To be fair, I am not sure I ever would have read this book on my own. It didn't seem to be the type of novel I tend to go for. Even while reading, it still felt slightly alien. Yet because of the insistence of several friends I took the plunge. I am thrilled I did. The pages draw you in deep until you feel at home. But the part I found the most satisfying of this tale was the ending. For such a fanciful sort of tale the conclusion bestowed solid meaning and purpose.

Raw Coconut Vinegar Coconut Secret 12.7 fl. oz
Raw Coconut Vinegar Coconut Secret 12.7 fl. oz
Offered by VitaminLife
Price: $6.98
14 used & new from $5.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Light Caramel Taste, March 16, 2013
I use this vinegar simply mixed with water, and also in an array of cooking and baking. And while it probably is slightly more beneficial than apple cider vinegar, I enjoy it for it's taste. Mix the vinegar with water at 1-4 ratio for a nice sour water with a very pleasent caramel aftertaste. I also find can you more of it in recipies as it seems less harsh- which is nice to get extra acetic acid for the body.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3