Profile for Carl > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 30

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Carl RSS Feed (New Mexico)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Sega Saturn - N64 - PS2 Controller Adapter for PC USB
Sega Saturn - N64 - PS2 Controller Adapter for PC USB
Offered by Passione Collections US
Price: $20.35
7 used & new from $16.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but has a few issues, July 29, 2014
I bought this because I wanted a good 6-button layout controller, and the original Saturn pad is still one of the best in that regard. Overall, I'm pretty happy with this device and have not noticed any issues with button accuracy, or connection seating, but there are a few caveats: The first is that there are some disconnect issues. This seems to happen in conjunction with certain keyboard inputs (for example, pushing a button to reload mid-game). The second is that the D-Pad registers as both a hat and as a set of four buttons with the Saturn controller. This causes some game mapping software to treat one D-pad press as two inputs, and in some instances, I've had to use a 3rd-party controller to keyboard mapping software to get around this issue, even in games with native controller support.

Radiohead (Ok Computer)
Radiohead (Ok Computer)
Offered by PosterRevolution
Price: $4.14
24 used & new from $2.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Great poster, January 3, 2014
This review is from: Radiohead (Ok Computer) (Kitchen)
I ordered from PosterRevolution, and it came in a nice sturdy box. The poster itself is large and well printed. I'm very happy with it.

Titanium seal 80 shareware mega hits
Titanium seal 80 shareware mega hits
14 used & new from $0.68

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the CD that introduced me to Doom!, December 10, 2013
Since today is the 20th anniversary of Doom, it's only right to revisit how I was first introduced to that wonderful game, and many others in my youth: this CD.

It's a relic of a long-past age now, but at the time, this CD was a treasure like none other for me, and it contains a great selection of early 90s dos games.

Plugable 7-Port USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Hub with 20W Power Adapter (VIA VL812 Rev B2 Chipset with Latest v9091 Firmware. Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux support. Full USB 2.0 Backwards Compatibility.)
Offered by Plugable Technologies
Price: $29.95
3 used & new from $22.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, reliable, and lots of ports, November 16, 2013
To help with cable management with my PC, I purchased this hub and affixed it to the back of my computer monitor. I have ran my primary mouse and keyboard, as well as external hard drives off of this hub, and it has been speedy and reliable the entire time. I'm very happy with it, and it helps a lot to eliminate wire clutter.

Plugable Aluminum SuperSpeed USB 3.0 12-in-1 6 slot Memory Card Reader (Including UDMA CF and UHS-I SD, SDXC, SDHC, MicroSD)
Offered by Plugable Technologies
Price: $16.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Well built and fast, November 16, 2013
I have only tested SD cards thus far, but transfer speeds have been good across the board with the different cards that I have tried. The device itself is solid and compact, and does what it needs to.

DashMat Original Dashboard Cover Nissan Altima (Premium Carpet, Black)
DashMat Original Dashboard Cover Nissan Altima (Premium Carpet, Black)
Price: $28.96
4 used & new from $28.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it needs to, October 30, 2013
It's a dashboard cover. It has respectable build quality, stays in place, and has appropriate cutouts for my car. This item is nothing fancy, but it does the job.

QNIX QX2710 Evolution II 27" LED Monitor
QNIX QX2710 Evolution II 27" LED Monitor
Offered by Stylebang
Price: $323.98
6 used & new from $305.58

4.0 out of 5 stars Questionable build quality and limited image controls, but astounding image quality for the price, October 22, 2013
I purchased this to replace my old HP LP2475w monitor, and was quite pleased with the results. The monitor had very accurate colors out of the box, and after performing a calibration, the colors were close to what they were before, just with a gamma correction. It's by no means pefrect, but for a 2560x1440 budget monitor, the results are impressive.

Less impressive is the wobbly stand. I ended up purchasing a desk-mounted arm immediately after this, which greatly helped the stability of the monitor. I left the clear part of the stand attached to the base of the monitor, since that allows it to be more easily adjusted. For this monitor, I would definitely recommend looking into a replacement stand.

There is no OSD, and the only controls on the monitor itself are for raising or lowering brightness. Video card compatibility may also be limited as my old Radeon 5870 did not display anything during bootup (Bios or Windows startup screens) and only displayed video once Windows was loaded. My new Radeon R9 280x (essentially a 7970) had no such problems, but this is something to keep in mind.

Still, for just over $300 and an image that makes you say *wow* I'm quite happy.

Synology DiskStation 4-Bay (Diskless) Network Attached Storage DS413
Synology DiskStation 4-Bay (Diskless) Network Attached Storage DS413
Offered by langton_distribution_ships_from_england

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent NAS for home office use, October 22, 2013
I have been in need of network storage for a while now but was scared off by the high price. I finally took the plunge, and was impressed by how simple and functional this box is. Data transfer speeds aren't perfect, but are reasonably quick using Robocopy under Windows, and the various services supplied both in the OS as well as by the community are quite useful. Being able to automate backups is very nice, and being able to initiate downloads via an ipad is a great timesaver when I'm not around the desktop. It also acts as a great media server for my network attached devices.

I have also had a chance to tests its Raid rebuilding capabilities, as I initially set it up with a failing drive. I had replaced it in one of my computers with a newer drive, but had never thrown it away. Upon setting it up in the NAS, it detected errors in S.M.A.R.T. and displayed a message recommending a replacement. Once I had one available, rebuilding the file structure onto the replacement drive was a very easy and almost completely automated process. This was a great timesaver.

One additional caveat is the file system used. The NAS uses EXT4, which has a 255 byte max filename length, while NTFS (Windows systems) have a 255 character filename limit. With this limit in place, you may encounter situations where certain files will not copy over because the filenames are too long.

Overall, I'm very impressed and would buy again.

Silverstone Tek Heligon CPU Cooler for Intel Socket LGA775/LGA1155/LGA1156/LGA1366/LGA2011 and AMD Socket AM2/AM3/FM1/FM2, HE02 (Silver)
Price: $75.99
2 used & new from $75.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great passive/silent cooling!, October 21, 2013
I bought this to put on my Intel 2500k CPU, and I'm very impressed by its performance. Initially, I put a low speed fan on it, but temps were quite low, so I tried it without a fan.

With only one low-power case fan, and no fan at all on the Heligon HE02 (as well as a modest VGA cooler), my CPU idles at around 30-33 degrees. That's better performance than you will commonly see from many, much louder, coolers. The only drawbacks are the difficulty of installation and motherboard compatibility, but as long as you attach everything necessary to the motherboard ahead of time, and have a compatible board, it works great.

Just be sure to have a long screwdriver on hand. I didn't at first, so installation had to wait for a trip to the hardware store.

Belkin 12 Outlet Home/Office Surge Protector with Phone/Ethernet/Coaxial Protection and Extended Cord 4156 Joules
Price: Click here to see our price
79 used & new from $19.63

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work very well, June 23, 2013
This is my secod Belkin powerstrip. The first made a loud pop when I plugged in a basic power cord, and was immediately replaced by the second. With the second powerstrip, I am having difficulties with items that are plugged into it not receiving power unless I jiggle around the cord. This is happening with multiple devices, and the same devices are fine when connected to a different power strip or wall outlet. This is very frustrating, and I would not recommend this product.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3