Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 20

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer RSS Feed (MI, United States)

Page: 1 | 2
Knee Sleeper Best Cotton Pillow for Knee, Ankle and Leg Body Support Sleeping, and an Effective Sleep Apnea Side Sleeper Pillow for Side Sleepers w/ Tossing and Turning Side Sleeping Problems (Medium - 5'2" to 5'6"" tall or 25" pants inseam)
Offered by zBuys
Price: $89.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, April 19, 2014
The Knee Sleeper has been a godsend for my two total hip replacements. I really don't know what I would have done unless I had found this product. I haven't found anything in stores or online that compares. When you have hip replacement surgery, one must keep the hip stabilized by supporting the knees AND ankles in proper alignment. The Knee Sleeper accomplishes this without the extra weight of two pillows-- plus it stays put instead of falling out of position during the night. Great product. I highly recommend.

How to Raise a Puppy You Can Live With
How to Raise a Puppy You Can Live With
by David H. Neil
Price: $12.18
121 used & new from $1.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommend "How to Raise a Puppy You Can Live With", February 24, 2014
I bought this book in 1981 (the original edition). I recommend it to everyone acquiring or adopting a new puppy or dog. It is the only book I have used simply because I think it is the best. It explains everything the layperson needs to know without overwhelming him/her.
The chapters include how to choose a puppy, behavior, developmental period, the first seven weeks (the breeder's responsibility), puppy testing, socialization eight to twelve weeks, puppy's new home, shaping your pups behavior, development from three to six months, pack leader concept, importance of personality, puppy training, and the second six months. Granted these chapters are from the original 1981 book.
I have used this book to train 3 puppies/dogs since 1981. Everyone that comes into my home has loved every dog & I have had no problems with aggression, behavior or potty training. I highly recommend this book. It has just the right amount of informatio /pages so as not be too overwhelming to the novice or beginner.

Puroast Low Acid Coffee French Roast Single Serve Coffee, Keurig Compatible, 12 - .41 oz, Net Wt. 4.88 Ounce
Price: $9.43
8 used & new from $8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Low Acid Coffee-Too Expensive, October 15, 2013
I love this coffee! I use the medium K-cup setting, and it turns out perfect. I like my coffee strong. I always thought it was the caffeine that bothered my stomach, but it was the acid in the coffee. I don't even have a problem sleeping if I have a cup in the evening. Great stuff, just wish it was less expensive--that's the reason for the 4-star rating. :(

Muffins to Slim By: Fast Low-Carb, Gluten-Free  Bread & Muffin Recipes to Mix and Microwave in a Mug (Volume 1)
Muffins to Slim By: Fast Low-Carb, Gluten-Free Bread & Muffin Recipes to Mix and Microwave in a Mug (Volume 1)
by Em Elless
Price: $8.96
28 used & new from $8.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Love This Low-Carb, Gluten-Free Cookbook, September 23, 2013
This is a great little book that I use almost every day. I first borrowed it from my library to try it out and ended up buying it for my collection. I particularly like the "Corn Dog" type Muffin Dog, and I don't feel one bit guilty eating it either! Instead of one tablespoon of the flaxseed meal, I use 1 tablespoon gluten-free hi-maize corn meal. Yum! My other favorites are the Pizza Muffin, Pumpkin Pie Muffin, and Chocolate Muffin. I've even invented some of my own mug muffins/cakes since purchasing this book and may even write my own cookbook. I like my Egg Mmmuffin (not the name I use) better than the one in the book, but her recipe is still very good (probably the only difficult recipe in the book--not as difficult as mastering Southern biscuits, though).

While the author gets very inventive with her fruit substitutes in order to make the recipes lower carb, I didn't think they were very convenient to prepare or find some of the flavoring ingredients. I even went to the Lorann Oils site and couldn't find some of the flavorings she recommends in the recipes. I would much prefer to use real pineapple, banana, apples and peaches in the recipes instead of eggplant-based copycats. Of course, it will add extra carbs, and I quite understand why she adapted the recipes, but after trying some, I choose to use the real thing.

I love that on the opposite page of each recipe there is notable information concerning the ingredients or other interesting facts about the recipe. There is also a nice measurement conversion chart in the front of the book and comprehensive index in the back (so many smaller books totally disregard an index!). The only things that are missing are color pictures of the recipes--pictures would have been nice. I highly recommend this book for those on low-carb, gluten-free diets, even without pictures.

**Note: I was very disappointed in my delivery and packaging, which is unusual for Amazon. The book came with the front cover creased in half from the top right corner to the left lower corner. I contacted Amazon and complained, but they didn't even have the decency to contact me back or replace the cookbook as I asked them to do. Not very good customer service.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sandal for Many Years, June 26, 2013
I say this because I have owned this sandal in beige and black for over 3 years. When I saw that Amazon and Bealls Florida, in particular, still carried them (unfortunately, Easy Spirit does not carry them anymore), I was more than pleased. I immediately ordered them in the white and blue (only colors still available). They are so comfortable and give so much needed support for my feet, legs, hips, and back that I couldn't pass them up. I wanted to get another beige pair, which really doesn't need to be replaced yet, but I wanted to make sure I would still have a beige pair when they do wear out. BTW, I've worn the beige pair all summer long for 3 years now and they still look fantastic.

FYI, they run one size too large. For instance, I wear a 7B and in this sandal I wear a 6B. Some of Easy Spirit's shoes/sandals are like that, so you never know until you try them on. I remembered that about this particular sandal and ordered accordingly, plus I checked the label--they were perfect when they arrived. I highly recommend this sandal for comfort (right out of the box), light weight and looks. I have worn them with capris, pants and skirts/dresses--they look good just about any way. I don't believe you will be disappointed if you decide to order a pair.

Garden of Life Raw Organic Protein Vanilla Chai, 630 Gram
Garden of Life Raw Organic Protein Vanilla Chai, 630 Gram
Price: $26.80
19 used & new from $25.79

1.0 out of 5 stars Raw & Vegan Doesn't Mean It Tastes Good, June 15, 2013
I was really excited to find a raw protein powder that was probiotic with enzymes that came in my favorite flavor vanilla spiced chai. I was sorely disappointed to say the least. It had a rancid odor when I opened it, but I thought since it's main ingredient was raw brown rice that's typical. What was so bad was the awful gritty, bitter taste. It doesn't even compare to the other protein powders on the market. I feel bad for people who have to buy raw, vegan products due to the diet they have chosen because there are better quality Whey Protein Isolate (WPI) and Casein products to purchase and consume. I can't recommend this product mainly because of taste and consistency.

Fat Fast Cookbook: 50 Easy Recipes to Jump Start Your Low Carb Weight Loss
Fat Fast Cookbook: 50 Easy Recipes to Jump Start Your Low Carb Weight Loss
Price: $4.61

5.0 out of 5 stars I Like It, BUT..., April 22, 2013
I did have this buried in the comment section of another reviewer's review, but I felt it was important to make it more conspicuous. I totally agree with another reviewer about her calculations being off in most of the recipes I have tried. Especially, "Coconut Flax Bread." Macronutrients given for 1 slice from a 20 slice loaf is NOT 111 calories; 9g fat; or 1g usable carbs. I entered the exact amounts going by her 9.5 ounces/4 cups, according to Ms. Carpender, of unsweetened shredded coconut (all brands caluculated exactly and matched up--I checked my own packages (two different brands) plus online databases to assure that my calculations were correct), flaxseed meal--everything. My calculations came out to 120 calories; 7.5g fat; and 6.7g usable carbs! Instead of the supposed 73% fat percentage (without butter), it comes out to 56% fat!!! My Paleo Bread recipe that I developed has better ratios than this bread.

Another recipe I tried that was off was the "Fat Fast Mac-and-Cheese." Nutrition Info was supposed to be 339 calories; 33g fat; 2g usable carbs, instead it was 375.5 calories and 4g usable carbs. This is totally unacceptable when you are being very precise with calories and macronutrients, as you should be when fat fasting (unlike Induction, there is a 1,000 calorie a day limit). I have spent several hours working on these calculations. I shudder to think I will need to recalculate the rest of the recipes in this collection because someone dropped the ball on this one.

Update: Well, I am shuddering. I have had to recalculate EVERY recipe because ALL of them have been totally off. Just did Fettuccine with Pancetta Cream, 290 calories instead the stated 207 calories! 25.5g fat instead of the stated 19g fat! 7g protein instead of the stated 9g; 2.5g usable carbs instead of the stated 1g usable carbs. I am using ALL of the recommended ingredients that she lists (House Foods brand shirataki, Philadelphia cream cheese, etc.). I am also entering them exactly as written by the author (weights, measurements, etc.) in a recipe analysis database. I'm entering everything by hand from the packages as of today 4-22-13 (as you know, manufacturers change their nutrition facts periodically, but it's usually sodium content). This book was just released, so it's unlikely the nutrition facts have been changed since publishing. I can't believe that I would be totally off on my daily totals if I had followed the stated calories and macronutrients. The other thing that really bothers me--there is no consistency with measurements or packaging. For instance, "1 packet tofu shirataki fettuccini [sic]," well, one package contains 2 servings (8oz package). Does she mean the whole 8 ounces or 4 ounces. *Ms. Carpender has clarified this in the comments.*

What is so sad is that the recipes are REALLY good (that's why I am giving the book 4 stars), but if you can't trust the nutrition facts, that blows the whole thing, IMHO. I have better things to do than have to recalculate all of these recipes. I should ask for my money back, or get paid for recalculating every recipe that I have used. At this writing, 10 recipes. Yikes, there's 50 recipes in this book.

Last Update: I never heard back from Dana after she commented on my review. I have updated my rating to 5 stars. I am still getting inconsistent nutrition ratios from the sources I have been using, so I will defer to Ms. Carpender's source (MasterCook) for her calculations. Just a word of warning about following her calculations to the letter, though, if you are closely watching calorie counts and finding you are not getting the results you expect.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 25, 2013 10:36 AM PDT

Dreamfields Pasta Angel Hair, 13.25 Ounce Boxes (Pack of 10)
Dreamfields Pasta Angel Hair, 13.25 Ounce Boxes (Pack of 10)
Price: $32.47
3 used & new from $32.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Pasta, January 17, 2013
Dreamfield's Angel Hair Pasta tastes great with the added bonus of lots of fiber. I have used all of this company's different pastas and they're all good. I highly recommend giving them a try.

Hi-Maize Resistant Starch - 5 Pound Bag
Hi-Maize Resistant Starch - 5 Pound Bag
Offered by Honeyville Food Products
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, January 7, 2013
This product is the best I have found in a long time. I have been using it for around two years. At first I only used it in my protein smoothies for added fiber. Now I use it to make a dynamite thin crust pizza. This starch can be used in other baked goods also. For Christmas, I made a delicious Fresh Apple Cranberry Black Walnut Cake that was gobbled up by everyone. I have been told I must make the cake every holiday from now on.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 10, 2014 9:40 AM PST

Image Transfer Workshop: Mixed-Media Techniques for Successful Transfers
Image Transfer Workshop: Mixed-Media Techniques for Successful Transfers
by Darlene Olivia McElroy
Price: $16.68
112 used & new from $6.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Image Transfer Book for Artists, May 23, 2011
I have mulled over many art books for all kinds of techniques, but "Image Transfer Workshop..." is one of the best art books and THE best for image transfers out there at the time of this review. Very concise with loads of information at the beginning of every project/technique. There are troubleshooting pointers, lists of supplies, archival capabilities and step-by-step processes for each and every project. I highly recommend this book to any beginning and advanced mixed-media artist looking for new ways to express their ideas into art. The resources in the back of the book are worth the price of admission. Did I say I love, love, love the layout of this book. My only complaint is that periodically (not often) the artwork seems a tad too "crafty," but that is strictly my opinion. My wish is that the publishers would do a spiral-bound version, then this book would be perfect.

Page: 1 | 2