Profile for n0box > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

n0box RSS Feed

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great chunk of memory!, January 20, 2012
I haven't done any computer benchmarking or anything of that sort with this memory card. I don't believe that those sorts of tests reflect real life use, since a sequential read/write is relatively uncommon, and you're never writing bunches of tiny files all the same size. I have found, however, that real life performance is beyond what I am able to put this card through.

I am using this card with a Sony NEX-5N, which is a compact system camera (mirrorless camera) that writes 16.2 megapixel images in a few different levels of JPEG compression and a Sony RAW format. In addition to RAW images, it also records video in MP4 or AVCHD format at 1080p 60fps. I have used this card to the absolute top performance limits of this camera. It allows me to record 1080p60 AVCHD (28Mbps bitrate) with no hiccups or stutters. I can shoot in burst mode for short spurts, and while this card is not going to magically soak up 10 6MB JPEGs per second, I can get about 10 shots in one second and let the card catch up with the image processor's buffer in a couple of seconds. At this time, no card is capable of writing fast enough to keep up with 10 16.2MP images per second, though, so there is no reason to expect it in this card.

I can pull the images off this card fast enough that I don't even notice that I'm actually dealing with a block of flash memory instead of a hard drive. I use Adobe Lightroom to import the images, so I'm not sitting there waiting on a Windows File Transfer dialog. I get to deal with a more pleasing interactive file transfer/import by using Lightroom, so I don't have to sit and twiddle my thumbs, but I'm impressed by the speed that files appear in my photo library on import. I believe that anyone who is going to "benchmark" this card with a full HD video camera or a DSLR will be very pleased with their purchase. I can't speak for people who will use the card for file storage/transfer, but my guess is that those users won't be disappointed either.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 4, 2014 9:45 PM PDT