Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Profile for Steve McQueen > Reviews

Browse

Steve McQueen's Profile

Customer Reviews: 20

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Steve McQueen RSS Feed (Boston, MA)

Page: 1 | 2
GE 12727 Z-Wave Wireless Lighting Control Smart Toggle Switch, White
GE 12727 Z-Wave Wireless Lighting Control Smart Toggle Switch, White
Price: $36.48
70 used & new from $31.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Works as intended with some significant shortcomings., April 22, 2016
I bought 3 switches that I connected to an openhab with z-stick. These are my impressions:
- One of the 3 switches was DOA, but Amazon rushed a replacement the next day. props to them for the responsiveness.
- The switches have a very short reception range. I experimented and found significant drops at 30 feet. This was true of all 3.
- The switches don't report to the master node when the state changes, so I had to set up a refresh polling every 60 seconds. This may be a deal breaker if you own any battery powered z-wave devices in your network.

Overall these devices do what they promise with the limitations I mentioned. I wouldn't get any more GE switches until they improve their software and range.

Toysmith 41-Piece Pick-Up Sticks Game
Toysmith 41-Piece Pick-Up Sticks Game
Offered by Our Pampered Home
Price: $6.27
21 used & new from $4.04

1.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly cheaply made, not worth the little money it costs., December 28, 2015
Not at all what I expected. The sticks are too light, too short and full of splinters.
Instructions are in german (not that it's needed much, but seriously - German?)

Sticks are only 6" (not 9.5" as advertised)!
The splinters cause the sticks to stick to each other, and being as light as they are it's impossible to play with them.

Pebble Time Round 20mm Smartwatch for Apple/Android Devices - Black/Black
Pebble Time Round 20mm Smartwatch for Apple/Android Devices - Black/Black
Price: $183.99
52 used & new from $125.00

5.0 out of 5 stars From steel to round - and never looking back, December 1, 2015
This is my second pebble. My first one was a black pebble steel, which I've used for exactly a year.
I was worried at first because it's not as water resistant as the steel, the battery life isn't as good as the steel, and I knew many apps still don't have a round version (and no guarantee they will ever have one).
I decided to get one despite all of that because of my faith in pebble's vision and track record so far (and the black Friday deal).

I'm so happy I got the round! All my fears were for nothing.

- The battery life isn't bad really - I charge it every third day (instead of every 5 on the steel) which isn't bad at all. Takes 30-45 minutes to charge. I do it int he morning while I get ready for the day.

- I realized through use that I don't ever get it wet anyway - so the waterproofing wasn't that important. It's splash-proofing is sufficient for my lifestyle.

- All the apps I used on the steel were there, which was a big relief. I had to find new watchfaces though, since the square ones don't fit me anymore.

- Best of all, I found new apps that utilize the voice feature, which didn't exist on the steel. I absolutely LOVE it!

The watch looks really nice, and is what I always dreamed of in a smartwatch (design-wise). It looks like a watch, integrates seamlessly to my life and reduces my time in front of my phone.

If you are hesitating about the same things I did, worry not. You'd love the round!

Car OBD Driving Smart latch for Toyota New VIOS 2011/COROLLA/RAV4/Camry/Highlander/Yaris/Previa/Prado 2011/New Rezi 2011/New Crown 2010
Offered by NewerStone
Price: $16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works like a charm, September 22, 2015
Does the job as described. Pretty cool such an inexpensive small plug can do just what I was looking for.
It also turns on the emergency lights after a hard break as an added bonus.
This was installed on a 2012 Toyota RAV4

The Company of Animals Halti Head Collar, Black
The Company of Animals Halti Head Collar, Black
Price: $14.61
31 used & new from $12.57

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best purchase I made in many years, September 22, 2015
I tested multiple brands of head harnesses, and ended up returning all but the halti.
My dog is like an acrobat and can wiggle her way out of most devices, so a tight fit was important.

For the first time I actually have control over my dog while walking on leash. She isn't pulling and for the first time in her life shows some restraint when she approaches another dog.

I just bought another one for my second dog, although he isn't a puller, this device is so amazing I just feel good having it on.

Amazon Echo
Amazon Echo
Price: $179.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Still raw, but you can buy with confidence, June 19, 2015
This review is from: Amazon Echo (Electronics)
I wanted to love Amazon Echo and give it 5 stars, but it's just too raw at this point. After about 2 months of use this is my experience.

The good:
- I don't expect to ever need to replace the hardware since cloud updates are frequent and full of features.
- Amazon responded to my feature suggestion with a detailed thoughtful response, which is an amazing thing that i didn't expect from a software house.
- The remote is a nice addition if you want to use Alexa in multiple rooms.
- Accessing the shopping list from multiple Amazon accounts was genius. My wife an I use Echo shopping list exclusively.
- Microphone picks me up from the next room which is very impressive
- Sounds quality is better than I expected
- If Amazon ever goes bust I can still use if as a glorified bluetooth speaker

The bad:
- Only one timer/alarm at a time, and if you ask for another timer it overrides the old one. Found out about this the hard way with some burnt food.
- The android app is still pretty shaky, crashes often & slow to open (Galaxy S5)
- The question base is very limited. After being spoiled with google answering everything this is not exactly in line with their competitors.
- No support for expansion as of yet. If I wanted to add another unit in another room I can't imagine how that's going to be like.
- No support for external speakers. I have a sound system running throughout my house, and would have liked to use it to play the music and answers. (Maybe transmitting by bluetooth is still an option with the current hardware)

The ugly:
Echo doesn't understand my wife about 80% of the time, and picks me up correctly all the time. This was especially surprising since my first language isn't English, and my wife is an American from Connecticut. Needless to say she is frustrated with this experience and doesn't talk to Alexa often.

So should you buy one? I say yes. The updates arrive every day and will keep on coming. Unlike a phone or a smartwatch, you won't have to buy a new unit with each update. I Can't wait to see what's coming next for the Echo.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 19, 2015 11:30 AM PDT

Jupiter Large Commercial Juice Press, Black
Jupiter Large Commercial Juice Press, Black
Price: $116.49
24 used & new from $101.93

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, September 8, 2014
Solid build, but you have to hold it in firmly every time, because it may tilt.

9/16" Single Cell Blackout Cordless Cellular Shades, Color: White, Size: 29.5 X 60
Offered by Top Blinds
Price: $57.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and functional, September 8, 2014
Beautiful and functional. The product looks, feels and works perfectly once it's up, but comes without instructions. For someone who never hung shades before this could be a bit challenging working without any instructions.
The end result is amazing!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Received 34 instead of 35, but still happy, August 25, 2013
Selection was exactly as pictured, and is a great way to try new k-cup flavors. Just be on the lookout for the price - it seems to fluctuate wildly from day to day.

McCormick Grill Mates Smokehouse Maple Seasoning, 15.5-Ounce
McCormick Grill Mates Smokehouse Maple Seasoning, 15.5-Ounce
Price: $8.50
3 used & new from $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best seasoning I have ever tasted, August 22, 2011
I came across this product at BJs, and fell in love. Food have never tasted better. It smells so sweet and smoky at the same time, I am drooling on the keyboard while writing these lines. This srub is so good I stocked enough for a few years, just in case it will be hard to find later.

Get it! it will change the way you eat.

Page: 1 | 2