Profile for Mrs. Wang > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mrs. Wang RSS Feed

Buck Wilder's Animal Wisdom
Buck Wilder's Animal Wisdom
by Timothy R. Smith
Price: $15.20
27 used & new from $2.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Visually brilliant & ideal for boys who are reluctant to read, March 18, 2015
The author visited my son's school and captured the students' imaginations beautifully. The illustrations in the book are highly detailed, and the text is not too dense, which makes it ideal for children who may be reluctant to read chapter books or non-fiction. The author really understands his audience. The book introduces concepts that are usually absent from suburban life. My 2nd grader carries this book around everywhere now, and even falls asleep while reading it at night!

The Boy Who Loved Math: The Improbable Life of Paul Erdos
The Boy Who Loved Math: The Improbable Life of Paul Erdos
by Deborah Heiligman
Price: $13.28
89 used & new from $6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Mommy, what does "improbable" mean?, August 24, 2013
My 6 year old's first question was about the word "improbable." The story is about being different, following one's passion and using that passion to build friendships and collaborations. The book opens up all kinds of questions about geography, math and the injustice of telling kids to sit still. I like the fact that the book assumes all children are intelligent people. Every time we re-read the story, there's something different to love about it.

Thunder Tumbler
Thunder Tumbler
Offered by purrfecttoys
Price: $16.79
8 used & new from $13.00

1.0 out of 5 stars do not buy this toy!!!, January 11, 2013
This review is from: Thunder Tumbler (Toy)
It looks cool at the mall, but do not buy this toy. It is poorly made and will break. It is not UL listed. Ours started smoking as soon as we put the batteries in. Our child never even got a chance to play with it. The manufacturer has discontinued it and has poor customer service, so you won't get any replacement parts. You are better off buying a reputable brand at Toy R Us instead. This was a gift from someone outside our family - we never would have paid for such a piece of junk.

Swan Mothers: Discovering Our True Selves by Parenting Uniquely Magnificent Children
by Natalia Erehnah
Price: $12.29
33 used & new from $8.30

4.0 out of 5 stars The light at the end of the tunnel., November 3, 2012
"Swan Mothers" is the light at the end of the tunnel for parents of children recently diagnosed with neurological differences, as well as parents who are longtime veterans of "the system." This book is not about a cure, it is about acceptance. The author, whose own parenting journey was not what she expected, interviewed mothers of children with autism and other special needs to search for commonalities in their experience. She explains these commonalities in terms of "The Hero's Journey," in a framework and language that reminded me of Jungian archetypes. By choosing this framework, the author goes straight to the heart of the conscious and subconscious transformation that parents undergo after a child's diagnosis. This was meaningful to me on a deeply personal level, as I try to make sense of the fact that I am completely different from the person I was before my son was born. The stories in this book are inspiring, heartbreaking and practical. One of my favorite sections explained how to feed nutritious food to a resistant eater. The author also included appendices with information about relaxation techniques, homeopathy, EFT and simple exercises to improve overall quality of life. There's even a reading list at the very end loaded with titles that offer a positive view of neurological differences. If you're looking for an uplifting book about special needs parenting, this is it!

The Autism Mom's Survival Guide (for Dads, too!): Creating a Balanced and Happy Life While Raising a Child with Autism
by Susan Senator
Price: $13.13
97 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book if you're an autism parent!, March 10, 2012
First of all, I want to thank Susan Senator for writing the book that I wish someone could have given me 10 years ago. The book is full of BTDT practical tips and advice for day-to-day coping. Reading the book is like having a long talk with a good friend about the things that really matter in life. The author also interviewed parents all over the country and arranged their ideas in a way that makes sense, all supported by the latest research in autism and special needs parenting. Of course, there are no easy answers on this journey, but the author shows us how to navigate with love and good humor. This book is a great place to start if someone you love has recently (or not so recently) been diagnosed with autism.

Autism Life Skills: From Communication and Safety to Self-Esteem and More - 10 Essential AbilitiesEv ery Child Needs and Deserves to Learn
by Chantal Sicile-Kira
Price: $12.00
95 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource for long-term planning!, January 27, 2012
There is surprisingly little data from the scientific community about how individuals with autism develop life skills. So Chantal Sicile-Kira took it upon herself to interview adolescents and adults with autism, including her own son, and used their answers to identify specific goals. This book is both practical and emotionally powerful, as the voices of individuals with autism express their hopes and dreams. The author writes from a mother's point of view, so the book also has the intimacy of chatting with a friend who has BTDT. I can't wait to read her next book!

My Baby Rides the Short Bus: The Unabashedly Human Experience of Raising Kids with Disabilities
by Caryn Mirriam-Goldberg
Price: $15.20
76 used & new from $9.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Inextricably interwoven, March 4, 2011
"My Baby Rides the Short Bus" is an anthology of first-person mini-memoirs by parents of children with special needs. The purpose of this anthology was to form a supportive intellectual community among marginalized parents. As a contributing author, I believe that we achieved this goal graciously. For me, the heart and soul of the book was Marcy Sheiner's essay "My Friend Christine," which recounts a mother's reaction to the 2007 Supreme Court ruling that upheld a parent's right to advocate for a disabled child in a court of law when contesting the child's IEP (Individualized Educational Program). In that ruling, the Supreme Court used the phrase "inextricably interwoven" to describe the rights of disabled children and their parents. Each of the stories of adaptation and acceptance in this book highlights the different ways in which the lives of parents and children are inextricably interwoven, even with no happy ending in sight.

When Babies Read: A Practical Guide to Helping Young Children with Hyperlexia, Asperger Syndrome and High-Functioning Autism
by Audra Jensen
Price: $23.70
38 used & new from $1.47

4.0 out of 5 stars Finding a way to balance unusual gifts with developmental delays, March 8, 2006
I am the mother of a beautiful 4 year old boy with hyperlexic autism. He learned the alphabet and taught himself to read before he was 2 years old. I was delighted to see that another mother of a hyperlexic child wrote this book explaining how to channel a child's natural gifts to learn about the world and remediate developmental delays. The author makes it clear that every child has a different learning style, so what worked for her son may not work for other hyperlexic children.

This book is perfect for a family with an established Applied Behavioral Analysis (ABA) program for their hyperlexic child at home or at school. To my knowledge most ABA programs ignore a hyperlexic child's desire to read (at one point my son was actually forbidden to read at preschool!), so this is a refreshing change of course to incorporate the child's interests into an early education plan. The book is filled with step-by-step outlines and terrific illustrations for early literacy and communication skills. At home we use play-based therapy, not behavioral methods, but my son loves the flash cards from the book and typing up stories with me.

I had some problems with this book. On page 26 the author mentions that her son's therapy was partially or mostly covered by insurance and implies that other insurance companies will do the same. This is not the case in the USA - some states do not even provide early intervention services through the school district, and many parents of autistic children have sold their houses or gone bankrupt to pay out-of-pocket for their child's therapy. I would love to move to the state of Washington and sign up for the author's insurance plan!

Another problem in the book is the absence of any discussion about the severe anxiety, phobias and panic attacks that are characteristic of hyperlexia. In fact the author even says that she allowed her son to scream and cry through several weeks of behavioral therapy before he learned to comply, never even addressing the issue of anxiety. For parents who are looking for a more humane approach to anxiety, I recommend "Your Anxious Child" by John Dacey and Lisa Fiore.

I have a personal issue with author's frequent negativity about autism, for example, saying that autism was "eating away" at her son and, "We must fight this," and even naming one chapter "Line of Attack." How can we accept a child unconditionally if we reject such a large part of his life? Remediation should be based on building relationships, not destroying behavior.

With that said, this book is a rarity: it balances the core deficits of autism with its remarkable gifts, and offers one way to harness these gifts to support the child's healthy development. After reading this book, I donated it to the parent-teacher resource library at my son's school.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 7, 2009 11:02 PM PDT