Profile for Ex-Californian > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 20

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ex-Californian "Susan" RSS Feed (Denver, CO)

Page: 1 | 2
The Last Kiss Goodbye: A Novel (Dr Charlotte Stone Book 2)
The Last Kiss Goodbye: A Novel (Dr Charlotte Stone Book 2)
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $5.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Hope it's the last book like this, October 21, 2014
I gave up less than 100 pages into this, and I have many Karen Robards books on my keeper shelf. The best way I can sum it up is, it reminded me of a bad press conference. Too many people asking questions at the same time, main focal character continually distracted by everything going on at once, can't get succinct replies, everything's a muddle. The dead lover interrupts again and again, breaking the main character's train of thought and story action. The result? There ISN'T really story action, as the crime and police investigation gets pushed way far behind personal issues. Not what I want in suspense at all.

Perfect Crime
Perfect Crime
Price: $0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly lame, August 13, 2014
This review is from: Perfect Crime (Kindle Edition)
This is a short and not particularly inventive work. The main character, although drawn to be female, thinks and acts the whole time exactly like a man. However the biggest weakness is that the tale is all telling, not showing. You never connect to the character or what drives her to murder, don't care what happens, and aren't so much surprised by as grateful for the dumb ending. Skip it.

As the Twig is Bent: A Matt Davis Mystery
As the Twig is Bent: A Matt Davis Mystery
Price: $2.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Can't recommend it, August 13, 2014
I selected this title after reading so many rave reviews, and oddly enough, even the reviews that panned it for its gruesome violence. I don't know what book those people were talking about. There were a couple rough scenes, but certainly not any worse than many others I've read in mysteries/thrillers. Several other reviewers mentioned how "well written" this story was. I beg to differ. There is NO reason for a comma following the word "but" in prose...comma usage depends entirely on clauses and sentence structure. This was exceeding annoying as it was done multiple times throughout the whole novel.

And the scene with the lead detective and local parish fellow going golfing? I was wondering how the lead detective trying to solve a string of homicides in his city has the time to be off golfing for an afternoon on a lark, but of course it wasn't a lark. It was planted (incongruous and implausible as it was) as an excuse for the detective to discover the man was left handed. Readers can see obvious plot devices like that coming and it amounts to author intrusion--the OPPOSITE of good storytelling and excellent writing.

Crock-Pot SCR450-BP Slow Cooker, 4.5-Quart, Polka Dot Pattern
Crock-Pot SCR450-BP Slow Cooker, 4.5-Quart, Polka Dot Pattern
Offered by UNPLUGGED
Price: $17.73
4 used & new from $15.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect small Crockpot, June 21, 2014
For the past decade I've maintained 2 slow cookers. I have a 7 quart digital model which works well for big family gatherings and special occasion meals. But I also like having a smaller cooker available, since my husband and I are empty nesters now and I'm usually cooking for just the two of us. This Crockpot was exactly what I wanted for soups, chili, spaghetti sauce with meat. I've seen reviews and questions posed by other shoppers and I wanted to mention what to me is a significant difference between a "manual" cooker like this and the digital slow cookers. Manual cookers allow you to choose a heat setting and then cook however long or short a time you wish. My digital cooker must be plugged in and set to "On" position, then it determines whether High or Low heat based on the number of hours selected...which can be aggravating if you only want 3 hours on Low heat. A Crockpot like this gives you more choices and it heats up fast.

PanSaver EZ Clean Multi-Use Cooking Bags Slow Cooker Liners
PanSaver EZ Clean Multi-Use Cooking Bags Slow Cooker Liners
Price: $17.54
2 used & new from $12.55

5.0 out of 5 stars These liners are great!, June 21, 2014
They work even better than the kind you can buy at the grocery store for a fraction of the price per unit. Plus these can be used in slow cooker, lasagna pans, etc. I've used for both slow cooking and oven roasting. Cleanup is a snap. Buy these. You won't be sorry, except that maybe you didn't find them at Amazon sooner.

LUXURIOUS DAMASK CHOCOLATE KING/CALIFORNIA KING 4 PIECE DOWN ALTERNATIVE COMFORTER SET 100% EGYPTIAN COTTON 600 THREAD COUNT, INCLUDES: 1 DUVET COVER, 1 DOWN ALTERNATIVE COMFORTER, 2 SHAMS. SHEET SET COLOR: CHOCOLATE
Offered by HOTEL AT HOME ILLINOIS, INC.
Price: $124.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as pictured/described, April 20, 2014
The down alternative comforter is nice, but the duvet set shipped to us was NOT chocolate brown. The set is BLACK. We decided to keep it anyway, but if you're looking for dark brown to suit a particular bedroom décor it may not work for you. Also the duvet cover had a 6 inch slit along one seam I sewed shut. Maybe not the best bargain all things considered.

Tie-Up Shade Solid Insulated Thermal Blackout Window Shade 63"L-BURGANDY - TUB
Tie-Up Shade Solid Insulated Thermal Blackout Window Shade 63"L-BURGANDY - TUB
Price: $23.20
4 used & new from $22.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice fabric, October 19, 2013
Does a great job blocking light. There's a streetlight that shines directly into a west-facing bedroom window. This fabric shade blocks it completely, making room much nicer at night. Also helpful to block setting sun. What I like best is the poly fabric is soft, not the stiff sort of thermal curtains from the past, which were always stiff and awkward looking. Very pleased with the purchase.

Hamilton Beach 31809C 6-Slice Toaster Oven/Broiler
Hamilton Beach 31809C 6-Slice Toaster Oven/Broiler
Price: $49.95
12 used & new from $44.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good little kitchen electric, October 5, 2013
I just got this toaster oven delivered this morning. Attractive looks, and I decided to test it out right away. Convention baked a personal pizza. The product was ready in about 15 minutes. Cheese nicely melted and crust baked firm but not overbaked and burnt. I was particularly looking for a toaster oven with a removable crumb tray. The "trapdoor" style cleanout some toaster ovens feature is pretty useless.

With the holidays coming, I'm sure I'll give this Hamilton Beach a lot of use. Small casseroles and side dishes for two as well as baking rolls, desserts and such for larger family gatherings. Glad I bought it. All the features I wanted at a good price.

Belkin WaveRest Gel Mouse Pad -Black
Belkin WaveRest Gel Mouse Pad -Black
Price: Click here to see our price
84 used & new from $6.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Treat your wrist to comfort, April 5, 2013
I'd gotten away from using a mousepad since the newer computer mice offer tracking from almost any surface. My dining room table is wood with granite inserts, which has the effect of not only giving the mouse 2 different component surfaces to deal with, but also slight "seams" that made mousing uneven at times. I decided while upgrading my mouse to also buy this wrist pad, and I have to say it's much more comfortable being on the computer for long periods with this. Quite a step up in ergonomics for a small price.

Logitech M510 Wireless Mouse
Logitech M510 Wireless Mouse
Price: $24.99
196 used & new from $13.99

4.0 out of 5 stars FAST!, April 5, 2013
I first replaced a wired mouse, then a cheapie wireless that didn't perform well at all with the M510. It was like night vs. day compared to either of its predecessors. Pages load quickly, you can navigate at lightning speed and the back button right there next to your thumb is a nice feature. I had carpal tunnel surgery several years ago; never regained full mobility and the same endurance in my dominant hand. I can hardly tell, though, using this mouse. Definitely worth the price.

Page: 1 | 2