Profile for Ella Kwint > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 264

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ella Kwint "Wordy wares reviewer" RSS Feed (TX)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
BCBGeneration Women's Asymmetrical Floppy, Black, One Size
BCBGeneration Women's Asymmetrical Floppy, Black, One Size
Price: $21.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Adore it except for the band, January 6, 2015
Ordered in the black. I'm a hat junkie and have had success with hats from this brand-- this piece is no exception.

SHAPE/LOOK: In a plain black hat, I prefer a round crown as otherwise they tend to skew a bit witchy-poo. So this hat's shape works for me as does the moderately-sized brim (so it doesn't scream vapid starlet at Coachella.) The wireless brim is technically 'floppy' but is ultimately still structured. It's dynamic while remaining a little more low profile. I own one too many menswear-inspired fedoras so was after something more feminine. I love cloches, but they don't jibe with edgier looks. This is a versatile silhouette that can be dressed up or down and ticks all the right boxes as my go-to fall/winter topper.

BAND: I wasn't thrilled to discover that the 1" faux leather band is not one solid color all-around; this is not reflected in Amazon's images. In the front: black band. In the back: metallic silver. Not a huge fan of silver--though thankfully it's not too too shiny-- so I may attempt to remove/replace the band. (This is typically not difficult to do as long as you have the correct glue and use a replacement band that is not more narrow than the original.)

FIT: As with many BCBGeneration hats, it's adjustable via a kind of pull and tighten string that's threaded into the sweat band. I have a big noggin for a chick (approx 7-1/12) and so this fits me without needing to utilize this feature--I cannot vouch for how effective the adjustability system truly is. However, I feel confident that the circumference will work on all but the most extreme hat sizes.

SIZE: Nothing too exaggerated here. The hat may be called Asymmetrical but as far as my own measurements reflect, this hat is not. The brim is a versatile 2-3/4" all around, a fashion brim as opposed to a sun hat. The inner circumference is approx 23". From the base of the band to the top of the crown is approx 4". The floppy-esque brim can be fiddled with a bit but not to the point that I'd call the visual result 'asymmetrical'.

MATERIAL/CARE: 100% wool. Fabric care label: NO washing or dry cleaning (despite Amazon's description). It's soft and warm, not scratchy, but quite sturdy. It can be stored without fuss because it doesn't have the classic indented fedora crown, though this isn't really a 'roll and go' packable hat.

SHIPPING: If you're a frequent online purchaser of hats then you probably know that stores tend to absolutely destroy the structure of a hat when they cram it into a box or shipping bag; this trend unfortunately afflicts basement bargain sites to really high end shops. Mercifully, my hat arrived with a full sized heavy plastic inner shaper, a protective band, plastic wrap, and having been placed in an amply sized box. Refreshing. Thanks, Amazon.

PRICE/VALUE: It's soft, stylish, comfy, and a great deal cheaper here than most other retailers. I've had other hats from this brand and they wear very well--can take some beating. This is a winner.

Advantus Vinyl Zip-All Pocket for Ring Binders, 6 x 9.5 Inches, Clear (ANG51)
Advantus Vinyl Zip-All Pocket for Ring Binders, 6 x 9.5 Inches, Clear (ANG51)
Price: $5.37
17 used & new from $1.50

2.0 out of 5 stars What should be simple is frustrating, December 29, 2014
I was startled over how difficult it was to find one of these "old timey" zipper pouches on Amazon. They were a staple of my youth but now they seem rather overpriced and of seriously questionable quality.

Sadly, this one is very stiff, even for vinyl--it has not proven helpful in storing the light weight items (mainly stickers) I use in a scrapbook organization binder. I suppose asking for a plastic to be both sturdy yet quite flexible is a feat too daunting. (?!)

The punch holes aren't cut widely enough so I have to hold my tongue just right to flip past this in my standard 3-ring binder. If it was more malleable it would prove more useful for my purposes. Yet it's so thin I can't see even using it for a few standard school supplies --as any actual bulk will make the zipper even more stubborn.

Speaking of, the 'zipper' is questionable, at best. In my grown up hands I can gently maneuver it; young children will likely grow frustrated attempting to slide it back and forth. Most kids aren't accustomed to 1960s technology. (And this model hasn't been improved upon since.)

It's a binder pocket pouch so it's a low expectation kind of item that doesn't exactly merit my harsh criticism. Yet it really doesn't work well... so you find yourself writing 200 words on Amazon warning fellow consumers to skip it and continue their zipper binder pouch quest elsewhere.

Hohner Performer 37 Key Melodica - Black
Hohner Performer 37 Key Melodica - Black
Price: $56.30
16 used & new from $50.11

2.0 out of 5 stars Keep expectations low, December 29, 2014
Average to below average in every way. I'm hardly a professional musician and I'd venture to guess most folks seeking out this 'always brings a smile' instrument aren't aspiring to the philharmonic, but I know enough about melodicas to decipher this one is nothing special. Most cheap melodicas (and in fairness, often even pricer ones) tend to be delivered already out of tune...or quickly arrive there. Unless you can tolerate sharpness straight out of the gate, with enthusiastic and frequent play, definitely expect to be tuning this frequently. Melodicas are typically not tuned via A 440 so they may sound sharp regardless but they at least should be consistent within that range. (My middle A key was tuned to 'makes the dog howl', not in the A443 stratosphere at all).

An exercise in patience, pay no mind to the description claiming it stays in tune, brass reeds, la la la. All melodicas need tuning. Some much sooner rather than much later, like this one.

The plastic housing is on par with similarly priced pieces and the keys have a decent heft to them. However, a few keys on mine arrived with an annoying loose 'clicking' and this is unfortunately the quality control issues so many mass produced Made in China/Tawain/etc., instruments suffer. If you stick to the middle octaves it's not so bad, but why add the fuller 37 range if the lower/higher keys sound awful both in tone and in clickety clack construction?

Effectively cleaning a melodica is not for the faint of heart and is a PITA in general, but this one proves especially tasking and seems to require a longer than usual drain time. My first melodica was a child's toy by Schoenhut (that still sounds great) and yet cleaning it was/is a dream comparatively. This gives you some indication of how far this model needs to go. "Not really much better than a bona fide toy" is not a ringing endorsement.

In that vein, I've used better flex tubes from a melodica purchased in the toy department. This one manages to be both flimsy and stiff all at once: a real feat! While this is an easily replaced item, I still would have appreciated a higher quality extension piece included. Additionally, the plastic mouthpiece (spit valve to some) on my particular instrument was scratched so there's a possibility I received a previously returned product. Or...Hohner, once again, fudges quality control.

The oft enthusiastically mentioned gig case is certainly decent. But..it's a textile gig case and kinda hard to mess up. I'd discourage anyone to purchase this on the appeal of the case alone! (Nearly every melodica comes with a surprisingly professional-looking case.)

This model is one of the least expensive 37-keys on the market and, feeling frugal, I took the plunge. I wasn't swayed by the brand name because I know it isn't the brand it once was. Because I now only play a handful of times a year, this works well enough for a brief duet session with my hubby. Fun and games. But musically inclined folks who hate out of tune instruments or anyone more seriously exploring the melodica would be better served looking elsewhere.

I'm befuddled how it makes the list of 'recommended', even if anemically so, by several melodica sites. So take my bah humbug review with a grain of salt and keep expectations low. And of course, since it's a melodica, it's impossible to not have a little fun! Just don't get dazzled by the Hohner name or you may feel disappointed.

TopInox Pointed Tweezers by Niegeloh
TopInox Pointed Tweezers by Niegeloh
Offered by Zamberg
Price: $22.95
2 used & new from $22.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Not all stainless is created equally..., December 29, 2014
Cursed with a zealously pesky mustache area no girl should have to suffer, and after getting fed up with harsh bleaches and waxes, I began tweezing my upper lip. But...

After plucking sessions, I began to experience what appeared to be contact dermatitis--something beyond simple irritation of the follicle. The skin above my lip IS sensitive (thus the cessation of bleaches) but this was an odd, specific, non seeping rash that tended to pop up 48-72 hrs post-plucking. I was using ancient and kinda grody tweezers. And then I recalled that in my 20s (two decades ago) I would get flaky, weird skin right under my brows--literally the only skin problems I ever had--but I was an obsessive brow tweezer. Now as I no longer pluck my brows: Voila, I realized I haven't experienced weird brow flakes/rashes in years! So...an internet search led me to a possible nickel sensitivity; this link between dermatitis & plucking felt too compelling to ignore.

I have not seen a dermatologist and by no means do I trust my self-diagnosis. But this brand was recommend by several skin allergy-sufferer sites and so I tossed out my tweezers of unknown metal content. I opted for the pointy tip as for whatever reason I feel I have more control than with the slant tip (plus for splinters and other non-cosmetic tasks the needle tips prove more versatile). I had my hubby sterilize them as these are supposedly surgical grade, and, again, come recommended by nickel allergy suffers. So far, so good!! My follicles aren't hating me thus far and, though I've made sure not to overdo it, after 4 days post-pluck, I've not had a flare up. (Apparently in mild cases, you can eat nickel-laden foods and even use other products containing nickel on other parts of the body but still experience facial reactions, e.g. earrings, tweezers, etc.,.)

The balance is good, they're appropriately sharp, and the heft is just right. These are nearly 4-1/2 inches so if you're used to minis or cheapy lightweight tweezers these may take some adjusting to. Whether or not you're exploring these due to sensitivities or you just merely want made-in-Germany quality for your first aid or cosmetic kit, I recommend these.

FROM THE PACKAGE: Tweezer, Needle Tips, Anti-Allergic
"Destined (sic) for professional use by sterilization"

PRINTED ON TWEEZERS: LANCET, Niegeloh, Solingen Germany
Stainless Topinox 19018

Mario Badescu Hyaluronic Eye Cream, 0.5 oz.
Mario Badescu Hyaluronic Eye Cream, 0.5 oz.
Price: $18.00
5 used & new from $18.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Polyglycerylmethacrylate ain't for me, December 29, 2014
Read enough reviews of ANY skincare product and you'll encounter a person who experienced an adverse reaction. So, tho this cream reeked absolute havoc on my eyes, take it with a grain of salt as this formula has a lot of fans--and interestingly enough, fans claiming to have sensitive eyes. I'm learning my eyes are just ridiculously sensitive: on the evening of the 3rd day of use, my eyes felt as they'd been doused with chili peppers and then set on actual fire. No good. No good indeed. This went beyond just a 'Ohh this stings a little and feels itchy' kind of sensation. Also, I don't wear contacts. I'd applied it lightly (and correctly) but alas, even up to my eyebrows it was a 4 alarm ordeal.

So, though I'm an occasional fan the Basescu line, do beware that the SECOND listed ingredient is a known irritant: Polyglycerylmethacrylate; used as a kind of film-forming agent, it's often downright unkind to truly sensitive eye suffers. I didn't thoroughly explore the ingredients prior to purchase but after my reaction, I hopped on my favorite makeup/skin care reviewing site and discovered I was hardly alone in the '3 days later' reaction. Add in the generous oil content and milia sufferers may wanna consider skipping it too.

It went on creamy, the formula can be worn under concealer, and I loved the price. (Though I'm not a huge fan of non-tube packaging). I hate preachy reviews so If it works for you, why shouldn't it be recommended? I just wish it had worked out, but as an unmitigated disaster, it's a 1-star formula for moi.

I didn't purchase this on Amazon but as I frequently consult Amazon for product reviews, this is just a heads up to fellow super sensitive-eye gals.

From the MB website: Deionized Water (Aqua),Polyglycerylmethacrylate (and) Propylene Glycol,Carnation (Mineral) Oil,Propylene Glycol (and) Water (and) Euphrasia (Euphrasia Officinalis) Extract,Cetearyl Alcohol (and) Ceteareth-20,Vegetable (Olus) Oil, Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice) Gel, Polyquaternium-24, Hyaluronic Acid

Out of Africa Lip Balm, Unscented, 0.15 Ounce (Pack of 3)
Out of Africa Lip Balm, Unscented, 0.15 Ounce (Pack of 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars awesome and soothing, December 11, 2014
This has what I was looking for: unrefined shea butter as the 1st ingredient (w/other all natural ingredients...tho just because it's natural doesn't mean it's incapable of causing an allergy/irritation so your mileage may vary.) I was trying to avoid fragrance & petroleum so this formula works for me. Despite the exotic moniker, it's made in the USA and sold here as a 3 pack.

Researching reviews of this brand on other sites, I saw reports of a grainy texture and a less than ideal application due to it--that may be caused by the product getting a little too cold. For the uninitiated, shea butter can be difficult to work with and as this contains generous amounts of it, it definitely is not a formula you can just mindlessly swipe over the lips--rather, you do need to work with it and warm it up a bit. This means using a finger and that's a negative for some. I don't find it "grainy" as much as I do thick, with occasional earthy-like chunks. Again, not for everyone.

Tho it's not greasy, to wear under lipstick you'll need a light application; if you're accustomed to a product that absorbs very quickly, this is not for you. Even with my winter parched lips, a few generous swipes of this sits on the lips for awhile. I prefer this as I want true long-lasting conditioning, not just a lip that feels momentarily, superficially smooth. It's not tacky or too waxy, but it IS robust. After 15 or so minutes it begins slowly absorbing and it feels...awesome and soothing.

Aesthetically it doesn't offer a shine like some lip treatments and, because it's buttery balm, until it absorbs it does dull the natural color of your lips. This isn't going to provide a Snow White sheen effect or offer a tint that us cosmetics junkies call "your lips but better". Nope.

On initial application I occasionally get a very brief bitter sensation, but not an unnatural taste that lingers even if repeatedly licking your lips. I'm super sensitive to scent, with fragranced lip products as the biggest offender, so this passed my test with flying colors. It is also available in flavored versions like orange, peppermint, strawberry, vanilla cream. Whatever floats your boat.

A lot of people have sensitivities to petroleum, mineral oil, and even lanolin so this appears an ideal alternative. It functions as a superb protectant against wind and winter conditions (or sitting under a fan for hours at a time). After a few weeks of use, applying 2x a day, I've not had the typically painful, peeling and flaking lips (and lip line) that has plagued me every previous winter. So it's a real success in my book. And a single tube lasts a long time so the value is solid.

Direct from the tube: "Naturally rich in moisture and loaded with antioxidants"
Ingredients: Butyrospermum Parkii Fruit (unrefined pure shea butter)' Helianthus Annus (sunflower) seed oil, Vitis Vinifera (grapeseed) oil, Euphorbia Cerifera (candelilla) wax, Theobroma Cacao (cocoa) seed butter, Tocopherol (Vit E), Rosemarmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract
0.15 Oz (4g)
MADE IN USA

Deco 79 26719 3-Piece Metal Rope Cow Bell Set
Deco 79 26719 3-Piece Metal Rope Cow Bell Set
Price: $31.18
11 used & new from $25.84

4.0 out of 5 stars Shabby chic moo bells, December 4, 2014
NOT WINDCHIMES:
First things first, these aren't anywhere in the family of wind chimes, barely a distant cousin. If you're expecting gale force winds and haven't yet evacuated, perhaps you'll hear them peal.

FUNCTIONAL?
Yep, they ARE functional and I use mine, indoors, to actually summon my own occasional farm animal: the hubby. However, I'd say they were marketed as purely ornamental pieces and I wouldn't expose them to extreme weather or precipitation.

SIZE:
Will these properly fit in your shabby chic urban farm space? You get 3. They are: 10"w/ a 10" rope; 7" w/ an 8" rope; 5-1/5" w/ a 6" rope. So the total appropriate length of the pieces with the attached noose-style rope would be 20", 15", and 12". These measurements vary from the listed description, but, like precious snowflakes, I doubt any two are just alike. Width is approximately 5", 4", and 3-1/2". They're all imperfect so measurements were tricky and they're a little lopsided too. One is more of true round circumference while the other two are oval-y shaped.

FINISH:
The goldish color on the outside is pretty brassy, kinda cheap looking and would never pass for a true antique. The intentionally weathered external treatment can, and will, flake off if you mishandle them. If you sport a claw-like manicure, be gentle. The inside of the bell is...well, it's rough. It looks kinda farm legit. Read: dirty. And please, wash your hands. I feel at one point a family of birds may have built their nest inside them.

SOUNDS LIKE:
The tone they emit is truly pleasant and you may have to look down to check for cow patties underfoot--so true a bona fide cow bell do they mimic. Not cling clangy and annoyingly high pitched (even from the tiny one), but deep and rich and non headache-inducing. The ringer is not very long but there's enough dangling down that you can grab it and give it a good wiggle. But they're designed to be grabbed and shaken all over. Don't rely on the ringer to produce the sound independently.

HANGING:
The rope is a loop so you'll need a toggle bolt to securely hang these. Or remove the rope and do your own thing. They're not particularly heavy but substantial enough that you shouldn't crudely tack them up with just a nail.

ON ARRIVAL:
I made the mistake of opening these on my bed. Ugggg. They were packaged decently well but in transport, lots of little chips and shaved bits and dirt of exotic origins spilled out. So do yourself a favor and don't rip into them on the same linens you eat or sleep on, kay? Good.

ON THE HANG TAG:
Made in India. Item #26719. That's all, folks.

VERDICT:
Either you'll be all like Hey, Cool 3 Bells for Twenty Smackeroos or Oh...I Paid an Entire Andrew Jackson for These?! Keep expectations low, gain a neat conversation piece for your rustic themed kitchen, and step back in time before home intercoms, texting your family from 2 rooms away, or my fallback: just yelling your head off. Call em to dinner with a cowbell, ma.

Kickers Women's Asphalto Boots,Black,37 M EU / 6 B(M) US
Kickers Women's Asphalto Boots,Black,37 M EU / 6 B(M) US
Offered by Discount Shoe Source
Price: $37.99
2 used & new from $37.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Kickers sizing woes strike again, December 4, 2014
Is the Asphalto your first stab at a Kickers brand shoe? Well good luck. I happen to own a few pairs and positively ADORE them: they look beautiful, age gracefully (if not at all), and are lovingly crafted from high quality materials. However...

Poke around the reviews of other Kickers styles and discover for yourself how oddly sized they tend to be. I'm well versed in translating UK/US/EU sizes but it's still a total crap shoot when ordering Kickers. The issue is made even more complicated by the FREQUENTLY inaccurate labeling on the box vs the size sticker inside the shoe vs the size stamp on the outsole vs the ACTUAL size they end up being. Confused much? You may receive a pair that says UK 39 on the box with a US 6 on the shoe but they fit like a 7. Fun! Guys, there IS a way to translate shoe sizes, a simple and typically accurate universal conversion chart. Kickers kinda throws that to the wind. Ha!

Soooo...these ended up going back because they were waaaay too huge for my mom. She's a US 6.5 and we "think" we received the 37 (it's what we ordered) but when they arrived they fit like rain galoshes and not like the roughly size US 6.5-7 they should have been (and what Amazon called a US6). Oh well. Frankly, even if they'd fit, the style was not her thing; these have a masculine quality. One *I* appreciate in a winter boot but isn't for everyone.

The dual zippers are a great touch for easy on/off. The leather is thick, high quality; it's pliable and sturdy without feeling stiff. These are a superlative example of a no nonsense, streamlined boot that will appeal to girls who don't like a lot of bells and whistles or brand advertisement on their footwear. Hardware is a subtle, antiqued brass. Arch support is minimal but there's light padding in the bed. Outsole is a non-slip w/o appearing overly rugged or lug soled. The shaft is about 7 inches; the circumference is narrow so don't expect to tuck jeans in unless it's the skinniest of skinnies. Width is a solid US M (yay, they managed that ok) but you're on your own with the length. Don't give up on his brand, do exercise patience.

The Asphalto isn't exactly a moto, engineer, combat, or Chelsea boot. It's is own thing and I adore the simplicity. But I can't recommend it if it's your first foray into Kickers as the sizing is definitely off, perhaps even more so than in their other styles. 5 stars for quality and style, 2 stars for fit.

Joe's Jeans Women's Shayleen Oxford,Black/Grey,7 M US
Joe's Jeans Women's Shayleen Oxford,Black/Grey,7 M US
Offered by ShoeMetro
Price: $27.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Style trumps quality, December 4, 2014
I ordered these in the black and gray for my mom. She's a 6.5 in nearly every sort of shoe, but based on multiple reviews that this fits really, really small, we sized up a 1/2 size to a 7. Verdict? We definitely could have just ordered in her typical 6.5: the pair we received was not at all undersized. The off-reported, weird 'sewn-in tongue' was also not an issue. Her foot is on the wide side of a standard M--with an incredibly high instep too--and she had zero problems sliding into the shoe...even with the laces only slightly loosened. Arch support/padding is minimal.

Our issue is with the outsole. It's dangerously slick. I mean like iceskating on an oil spill slick. Unless you plan to wear these exclusively on carpet, prepare to find some concrete and shuffle vigorously to break-in/roughen up the sole of these puppies before you dare to walk on any hard surface... OR pay your friendly local cobbler to have the sole modified. You wanna mess with that? Prolly not.

These shoes at original retail would be a huge 'no thanks' but based on Amazon's current listing, they were basement bottom priced-- that's literally the only reason dear ol' mama's gonna keep them. The style is truly cute: a feminized, fuzzy version of a guy's dress oxford. But we can tell the knit portion will pile horribly. Not to mention the synthetic leather looks, well like synthetic leather. Not all 'vegetarian' leather is created equally. The Shayleen doesn't look expensive but at this price point, our expectations were low. Yours should be too. I don't typically ascribe to disposable fashion but mom's content to stretch 3 months out of them and then toss/donate.

BCBGeneration Women's Fuzzy Fur Coat, Light Grey, Small
BCBGeneration Women's Fuzzy Fur Coat, Light Grey, Small
Price: $99.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Super cute, but in gray it's tri-colored!, December 3, 2014
Super cute, well made jacket that's on trend for winter 2014. But know before you buy: the scant photos provided do not represent the accurate color of the piece!

I ordered in the gray for my mother (who is fully embracing the fun faux fur/teddy bear textiles this season). We were surprised to find the coat is indeed a lovely (very light) dove grey but with a dark charcoal back; there's actually THREE colors going on here that are impossible to determine from the online images. In the images provided, it looks like a really flat and one dimensional color story. But due to the nature of the pile, it's actually a tri-colored charcoal, ivory, and gray. It's NOT a solid color. Only the bits at the very end of the Sherpa-like fur are truly just gray. Rub the coat a different direction and there's all kinds of other stuff going on. This actually makes it a more versatile jacket, but we were surprised nonetheless.

We ordered both a small and an x-small for her petite 5' 1", 106 lbs frame. The small swallowed her. The x-small fits much better but is still generously cut to accommodate bulky winter layers. If between sizes, I'd err on the side of sizing down. This Generation label of BCBG is essentially marketed to juniors so we assumed it would fit a tad smaller, but they've clearly embraced the slightly oversized trend with this piece. However, the sleeve length was not ridiculously oversized; if you're petite you shouldn't experience the waaay too long sleeves that end up hanging down mid-hand. This was appreciated.

The addition of roomy-- but virtually invisible pockets--is great touch and it's SUPER soft. Like an infant's first plush toy, soft. The tiny but sturdy eyelet closures (there's 5 or 6 of them) run the entire length of the jacket so it's up to you how fastened up you opt to be. The lining is a silky poly blend on the sleeve and an interesting sweatshirt-like material for the rest. It's warmer than it would appear and it's heavier than we were expecting. The length (slightly longer in person than Amazon's measurements) ensures it covers the rump--you can sport some super skinnies without being on display.

If you're ok with the tri-color material, this is a sincerely adorable piece for lovers (of any age) of more whimsical fashion. Curious to read reviews from anyone who buys in ivory to see if that version, too, is more than it appears.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20