Profile for tides24 > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 30

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

tides24 "tides24" RSS Feed (West Seneca, NY USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
One Percent Chance: A Mother's Story
One Percent Chance: A Mother's Story
by Helen Sue Weaver
Price: $10.79
16 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Story of Love, Hope, & Determination, June 28, 2014
This is the story of a young boy, diagnosed with Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia, and given a one percent chance to live. It is also the story of a mother's relentless determination to keep him alive, and find a cure. What young Evan and his family went through would be almost unbelievable, if it wasn't true. But you know, there are a lot of parents fighting similar fights. Heroes, all. As a St Jude Children's Research Hospital supporter, I had the good fortune to hear Ms. Weaver speak there, several months ago. It was a wonderful presentation, capped off by the appearance of her son, now a grown man, and Cancer-free. Today, children who come to St Jude with this type of Cancer have a 94 percent chance of survival. This book is a testament to never giving up. If you keep fighting, sometimes you get a miracle. Highly recommended.

Fireball: Carole Lombard and the Mystery of Flight 3
Fireball: Carole Lombard and the Mystery of Flight 3
by Robert Matzen
Price: $19.53
43 used & new from $16.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Book: A Real Page-Turner, June 28, 2014
I finished "Fireball: Carole Lombard and the Mystery of Flight 3" last night, and this morning, I'm still thinking about it. It's a real page-turner; you can't put it down. I especially liked how the author alternates chapters, telling Lombard's backstory and the story of the crash, concurrently. His writing really draws you in, and you feel like you know these people, not just the famous ones, but all the lost souls of Flight 3. Interesting thing I noticed. Television really changed our image of the stars who came to it from other media. Fred McMurray, Lucille Ball, Andy Devine, Jack Benny, all a lot different here, than we remember them from TV. The book also left me wanting to know more. I knew a bit about Clark Gable, but I found myself going back to my copy of "Uncommon Knowledge" written by Judy Lewis, his love-child with Loretta Young. I wound up on YouTube, looking for Russ Columbo videos, and, oh, yes, I've been pricing DVD copies of "To Be or Not To Be" with Benny & Lombard. It's a wonderful book. I came upon it by accident, but I'm sure glad I did. One of the best, most interesting books I've read in quite some time.

How We Die: Reflections of Life's Final Chapter, New Edition
How We Die: Reflections of Life's Final Chapter, New Edition
by Sherwin B. Nuland
Price: $10.67
260 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Dr. Nuland Has Died, March 5, 2014
March 3rd, 2014 83 years old. Prostate Cancer.

His daughter was quoted in USA Today: His daughter said he and his family had talked all the time about his illness and his impending death. She said there were times when he was "very much at peace" and occasional times toward the end when he seemed scared and sad.

"He wasn't scared of death itself, but he loved everything about his world and the people in his world and life," she said. "And he didn't want to leave."

"He told me, 'I'm not scared of dying, but I've built such a beautiful life, and I'm not ready to leave it,'" she said

I guess we could all say that. This book can be a tough read, but it's a good primer on what to expect. RIP, Dr. Nuland

The Legend of Lizzie Borden
The Legend of Lizzie Borden
DVD ~ Elizabeth Montgomery
Price: $14.99
25 used & new from $12.16

5.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY! CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT AGAIN!, March 3, 2014
This review is from: The Legend of Lizzie Borden (DVD)
My day is made! Can't tell you how long I've searched for this on DVD. Really looking forward to it. The story was beautifully told. It drew you in, and never let go, and presents an interesting theory about the blood, and why Lizzie didn't appear to have any on her clothing. I've always been an Elizabeth Montgomery fan. That she never won an Emmy is an absolute crime. She was a wonderful actress, so much more than Samantha on "Bewitched". Her Lizzie (she liked to be called that, in real life) is absolutely chilling. I read that her father, Robert Montgomery, wasn't happy she took such a part, but Elizabeth sure made the most of it. Great movie. Can't wait to add it to my collection.

UPDATE: Finally received the DVD. Watched it last night, and it's even creepier than I remembered. Great cast; wonderful acting. The film, and especially Elizabeth Montgomery's performance will stay with you a while. That last scene between Elizabeth & Katherine Helmond...If you don't get goosebumps, you're not watching. It took a long time to get this on DVD, but it remains the best telling of an oft-told tale. Well worth the wait.

Lady Blue Eyes: My Life with Frank
Lady Blue Eyes: My Life with Frank
by Wendy Holden
Price: $16.44
153 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Barbara's Side of the Story, July 25, 2011
I love this type of "dish-the-dirt" book. Neither I nor anyone I know will ever live this kind of life, but I find it fascinating. This certainly is a name-dropping, party-going, jewelry-buying extravaganza. I found it really interesting, and a perfect summer read.

Now, as to Barbara... At times, I found her lack of self-awareness totally hysterical. She goes back to her hometown and revels in how far she's come, as if she actually did anything but "marry up". Well, I guess that's an accomplishment of sorts. "Gold-digger"? I suppose. That isn't always an easy lifestyle though, especially with someone like the volatile Sinatra. We all make choices in life. Barbara made hers.

When I first heard about this book, I was sure Barbara would give Hell to Tina and Nancy Sinatra, for all they've said about her. They aren't mentioned. It looks like she wants to get her side out there, and on the record, before she joins Frank. This she has done. And let's face it, she married Frank when he was 60. He wasn't dumb. He knew what she was, but at that stage of the game, she gave him the companionship and stability he was looking for. Her timing was impeccable. The animosity between the Sinatra girls and Barbara may also have to do with some deeper issues, like the daughters' reverence of their mother, Nancy Sr. and, let's be honest here, money. Their slice of the pie was smaller, thanks to the piece Frank cut for Barbara. Think that doesn't play into it? Puh-leeze!

All in all, I enjoyed this book. Take it for what it is: Lady Blue Eyes telling her story "her way".
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 18, 2013 1:57 PM PDT

Singing Was the Easy Part
Singing Was the Easy Part
by David Chanoff
97 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Crooner's Life, August 17, 2009
Just got finished reading "Singing Was The Easy Part", Vic Damone's autobiography. Vic was one of the best of the "crooners". He's had quite a life. The book isn't laid out like a regular autobiography. It's more like you and he were sitting at a bar, and he was telling you great stories. And what stories! There was the time Sinatra stopped him from killing a man, the time he found out about his wife's involvement with a big movie star by reading that star's autobiography, the time his future father-in-law tried to throw him out a hotel window, and, oh, yes, the time a group of Mafia Dons took a vote as to whether Vic should live or die. Lots of great rememberances of Jack Benny, George Burns, Perry Como, Ava Gardner, the boys in the Rat Pack, Diahann Carroll, and even champion golfer, Ben Hogan. I really enjoyed it. A good read.

A Time it Was: Bobby Kennedy in the Sixties
A Time it Was: Bobby Kennedy in the Sixties
by Bill Eppridge
54 used & new from $0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Preserve Your Memories..., June 5, 2008
I've heard it said, that with Bobby, you really had to be there. I'm one who was, and to a large extent, that's true. It's hard to put into words what we all felt in those times, especially 1968, the worst year I ever remember. But the images in this book, go a long way toward giving the reader a feel for what it was like in those tumultuous days. For those of us who lived it, and lived through it, they are a heartbreaking reminder of what we lost, (can it be?) forty years ago.

The title comes from a Paul Simon song, "Old Friends." It was played at the end of the TV coverage of Bobby's funeral. I'll never forget it.

Time it was, and what a time it was,
It was...a time of innocence, a time of confidences.
Long ago, it must be...
I have a photograph.
Preserve your memories.
They're all that's left you.

Final Salute: A Story of Unfinished Lives
Final Salute: A Story of Unfinished Lives
by Jim Sheeler
239 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Heartbreaking Tribute, May 13, 2008
I remember reading about Woodrow Wilson's agony, as he prepared to address Congress, to ask for the US to enter WWI. All he could think of were the boys who would be killed or maimed as a result of his words. Witnesses said his face was actually contorted, perhaps a harbinger of the stroke he would have, a few years later. Before entering the chamber, he stopped in front of a mirror, and physically pushed his face back into a normal mode. In recent decades, one wonders if Presidents are all too cavalier about sending young men to die in questionable wars. One thinks of Lyndon Johnson telling the troops to "nail the coonskin to the wall" or George W. Bush in his flight suit, Top Gun, "Mission Accomplished" moment. "Final Salute" should be required reading for every President.

Through the eyes of those who have to perform the horrible task of notifying the next of kin of the death of their loved ones, the book tells the story of several soldiers, marines, and sailors who didn't make it home. One comes to know them well, and grieves for them and their families as they go through this agony. Lives interrupted, cut short. Children who will never know their fathers. Young war widows trying to survive. Parents who must bury a child. All this in the aftermath of "the knock" on the door. The pictures almost take your breath away.

This book is not about glory, not about conquest. In the end, I think it is about loss and love...the love of family members, the love of comrades in arms, the love of Country. As Memorial Day draws near, the sacrifices these people made, on both sides of "the knock" should never be forgotten. This is not an easy book, but you shouldn't miss it.

The Secret Life of Siegfried and Roy: How the Tiger Kings Tamed Las Vegas
The Secret Life of Siegfried and Roy: How the Tiger Kings Tamed Las Vegas
by Jimmy Lavery
Price: $18.21
76 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating...And A Bit Creepy, May 5, 2008
I was lucky enough to see Siegfried and Roy's show at the Mirage, from a seat right in front of the stage. It was totally awesome, one of the most memorable shows I've ever seen. Curious about the duo, I purchased this book. Well...The first thing that must be said, is that it was written by former employees, who would seem to have an axe to grind. The second thing that must be said, is that former employees know where all the bodies are buried; in this case, literally. So how much of this book is true? Hard to say. What can be said is that it is almost as fascinating as their show. Lots of "dirt" about lots of people, everyone from Steve Wynn to Liberace. Eccentric behavior in full measure (and beyond). And what really did happen the night Montecore attacked Roy? It's all a bit creepy at times, but it's sure a page-turner. Take it to the beach, this summer.

Arnie & Jack: Palmer, Nicklaus, and Golf's Greatest Rivalry
Arnie & Jack: Palmer, Nicklaus, and Golf's Greatest Rivalry
by Ian O'Connor
118 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The King, The Golden Bear, And A Rivalry For The Ages, May 3, 2008
I grew up a member of Jack's Pack, having been born a little too late to be a soldier in Arnie's Army. It's funny how sports moments can stay with you. As I watched the Masters this year, in my mind's eye, I could see the Golden Bear prowling those greens. Ghosts of Augusta.

This book tells the tale of two of Golf's titans, both their individual stories, and the story of their complicated relationship, from the first time they met, to the present day. Arnold Palmer, muscular arms bulging out of his short-sleeved shirts, cigarette hanging from his lips, going for every pin, with that wild looking swing of his. Jack Nicklaus: once Fat Jack, before he transformed himself. Picture perfect on the course, but not with the galleries, never getting the love that they showered on Palmer, the King. To say it was love/hate would be an understatement. They competed to the death in everything, but cared about each other much more than they would let on. Ironically, each wanted to be the other. Arnie wanted all those Majors, and the title of Greatest Golfer ever. Jack wanted the popularity and love that Arnie always had. But as Arnie said, "You can only be so many things in life."

The book is wonderfully written. You almost feel like you were there, as the author describes so many memorable Arnie/Jack duels. There is also a fascinating look at their wives. Winnie Palmer & Barbara Nicklaus were fast friends from the moment they met, even as their husbands were trying to beat each other's brains out. When I finished this book, I remember thinking, "I really enjoyed that." I think you will,too.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 22, 2008 11:42 AM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3