Profile for Richard Stone > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 14

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Richard Stone "Layfull" RSS Feed (Boston, MA)

Page: 1 | 2
SANOXY® UltraPower 1900 mAh Backup Battery Charger for iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, 4G, iPod, and iPod touch - External, Portable, Rechargeable (Black)
Offered by ANSE Wireless
Price: $9.99
7 used & new from $5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars 15 purchased so far...., August 8, 2012
I've bought 5 for myself, 5 for my family that travels overseas, and 5 for other family members. We all live off these things for iPhones and iPods.

I carry one all the time in case my iPhone is low, and then charge the phone while in use.

The advantages:
- Small
- Light
- Cheap
- Doesn't need a separate cord or charger
- Shows charge
- Charges iPhone to from 0% to 60%
- Can charge phone while iPhone is in use
- Can be charged along with iPhone

The disadvantages
- Hits a point after 1/2 year that it won't charge (but is cheap enough to replace then)

Roku 2 XS 1080p Streaming Player (Old Model)
Roku 2 XS 1080p Streaming Player (Old Model)
Offered by GRL AUDIO
Price: $62.29
75 used & new from $44.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Converting from Roku to Roku 2 was GREAT!, August 13, 2011
I just switched from Roku to Roku 2 and I'm extremely pleased with the conversion. I'd give it 6 stars if I could. Well worth a $100. I only wish I had done it sooner.

Pros:

1) The CONVERSION took 1 minute to replace the hardware (just replaced the box using the same HDMI cables), 3 minutes for Roku to upload stuff, and 10 minutes to re-register with Roku, Netflix, etc. All no-brainers.

2) Using 1080p, everything is way SHARPER on a 46" TV -- from the menus to watching Netflix.

3) Netflix now has English SUBTITLES. This is extremely important for my aged mother who can't hear, and I even have problems with some of the British/Scottish movies (that should have subtitles but the British/Scottish don't know that).

4) Everything is vastly FASTER -- from Netflix menus to watching movies. I don't know why this is, as it's the same Comcast 20 MB cable, but it is.

5) The controller works from across the room and doesn't need to be pointed at the Roku, which I put in a cabinet.

6) As advertised, the music-box-sized Roku became a HOCKEY-PUNK SIZED Roku 2. Now very portable.

7) And, of course, Angry Birds.

Negatives:

1) Netflix switched over from Roku giving codes that you entered on the computer. Now you enter username/password on the Roku 2. I keep getting it wrong (and typing on a screen, one letter at a time, is sloooow) -- but that's my fault.

2) The hockey-punk-sized Roku 2 now has no weight and a stiff HDMI cable lifts it up. However, a small weight on the cable fixed that.

Punch line... If you own a Roku, switch over and get expedited shipping!

WD My Passport Essential SE 1 TB  USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive (Black)
WD My Passport Essential SE 1 TB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive (Black)
Offered by Databug
Price: $109.00
19 used & new from $63.00

1.0 out of 5 stars It failed - try Seagate!, April 15, 2011
I've had loads of external drives for backups from 5 MB up (yes - MB, not GB). This is the first one that wouldn't work out-of-the-box. It would start the backup, after about 5 minutes the computer would loose the drive, the backup would fail, then it would reappear.

I sent this 1T Western Digital drive back and went with a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex (Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 1 TB USB 2.0 Ultra-Portable External Hard Drive STAA1000100 (Black), which is fine and even supports other interfaces. But that's another review...

I'm running Windows 7 on a Dell E6400 and have never had a problem with a drive or the USB port.

I suspect that it has a problem with the power on the USB port power. Don't let them tell you "all externally powered drives over 500 MB have this problem". I have 640s, 750s, and even the 1TB Seagate and have no problem.

On the plus side, it's slightly smaller and lighter than the Seagate (but more so than a 640 GB drive). However, what good is carrying a small drive that doesn't work? You might as well carry a rabbit's foot and hope for the best.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 20, 2011 5:01 PM PDT

Importer520 Folding Notebook Cooler Pad w/2 60mm Fans (Gray/Black)
Importer520 Folding Notebook Cooler Pad w/2 60mm Fans (Gray/Black)
Offered by Importer520 ( USA Seller )
Price: $5.69
6 used & new from $0.05

4.0 out of 5 stars Better quality than competitors, February 22, 2011
Bought another similar one at USB Powered Dual Fan Universal Folding Laptop Cooling Pad - Adjustable to fit all size notebooks. That one arrived DOA since it is made out of flimsy plastic. After returning that one twice, I ordered this one.

Better quality, same price, arrived in 2 days. It seems to keep the notebook computer cool enough. It's not fantastic and will probably not last, long-term. However, it's portable and good for a $5 product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead on arrrival - twice!, February 16, 2011
I ordered this product. When it arrived, it looked reasonable -- but cheap with flimsy plastic. However, one pad was missing and another half torn off.

I returned it, and re-ordered. The second arrived with one fan broken. I returned this and gave up (I have a low tolerance threshold, and 2 is my limit).

Fortunately, Amazon has one that's roughly the same price, arrives in 2 days, and is made out of metal raher than plastic. It's at Black Mini Portable Folding Notebook Latpop Cooler Pad w/2 60mm Fans

Opteka 12-inch High Resolution Digital Picture Frame with 1 GB Built-In Memory
Opteka 12-inch High Resolution Digital Picture Frame with 1 GB Built-In Memory

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't pay attention to Amazon reviews - paid the price!, January 28, 2011
The reviews said it freezes and has faulty internal memory. I figured that the internal memory was the cause, so bought one.

I put in an SD card that had been running steadily in another frame for the last 6 months. In an 30 minutes, it was frozen. I gave it 5 more tries -- each with a random freeze from anywhere from 15 minutes to 4 hours.

The only positive was that, when we said "it's frozen again", the two-year old walked over, felt the temperature of the frame, and said "No, it isn't". This was a good laugh before we returned it.

UPDATE: I just bought an eMotion DF-EM12G-512 12-Inch Digital Picture Frame. It did cost more (though one of the more inexpense 12" frames), but it's like night-and-day. Has run 3 days without freezing with bright, clear pictures. Having seen this, I now realize the the Opteka was also blurry -- particular in some parts of the picture. I recommend spending the additional and getting a great frame in the eMotion.

Velcro Reusable Self-Gripping Cable Ties, 0.5 Inches x 8 Inches Long, Black, 100 Ties per Pack (91140)
Price: $6.98
56 used & new from $6.44

5.0 out of 5 stars A life-changer!, January 14, 2011
I needed these to replace a tie on my laptop, and wound up going through the entre 100.

They come in rolls -- where they are easy to pull off one at at time. Then you loop one end through the other and pull it tight around the cable. Once attached, you can bunch up the cable and use the Velro to make it tight.

I now:
- Have one on each laptp
- Changed the rat's nest under the TV to a neat area where I can find where cables go
- Did the same for the nest behind my computer
- Did the same for the phones
- Have short cables for everything in the house -- from toasters to digita photo stands
- Have them in the toolkit whenever I put in something (like another phone)
- Bring a roll with me when someone asks me to install anything

Get these. It will be one of the best investments under $10 you can make.

Band-Aid Brand Adhesive Bandages, Sport Strip Extra Wide, (1-Inch Wide), 30-Count Bandages (Pack of 6)
Offered by Why Pay More and Fast Shipping
Price: $14.00
6 used & new from $14.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Longest lasting bandaid there is, December 26, 2010
I've been using these for years. I use them on my hands for tennis, on my feet for skiing, or just as general purpose bandaids for cracking hands. My wife has even adopted them and swears by them.

Most bandaids pull off in a day -- these can last a week, including sports and even showering every day.

I just wish Amazon had them in smaller quantities.

Sentry HO802 Wireless Headphones - 2 Pack (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Sentry HO802 Wireless Headphones - 2 Pack (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best headset for the money by far!, December 13, 2010
I now have purchased 5 of these (1 for living room, 1 for porch, 1 for vacation house, 2 for my daughter). I've tried varous brands, and settled on these.

The sounds quality is excellent. Setup is just a matter of plugging the transmitter into a wall socket, and the jacks into the back of the TV. The headsets needs 2 AAA batteries. That takes 5 minutes and you're up and running.

You can use it with the TV set normally (if you don't hear as well as others), or with the TV muted (if others are doing something else and don't want to hear it).

Pluses:
- Very good sound quality
- Sound quality is better than TV or speakers -- and good for hearing speech or music
- No static
- Comfortable over-ears style
- Headsets can be used two rooms away
- 2 headsets (good if you have 2 people)
- Excellent price for 2 headsets
- Easy TV connection
- Can pick up other transmitters

Minuses:
- Would prefer rechargable (probably not possible for the price)
- Battery compartment a litle cheap - broke one, but it still works

Omron HJ-112 Digital Pocket Pedometer
Omron HJ-112 Digital Pocket Pedometer
Offered by Heart Rate Monitors USA
Price: $38.95
16 used & new from $38.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Watch out! Two different models!, November 1, 2010
Watch out! There are actually two different Omron HJ-112 Digital Pocket Pedometers!

If you notice the pictures, there is a 3-button model blue model, and 4-button gray model. The original picture at the top is for the 3-button. The picture lower down, the PDF instruction manual, and some of the user pictures are for the 4-button model.

So what's the difference? The 4-button adds a Reset button. This allows you to reset the count before a walk, so that you're starting at zero. Then you can easily see that you've gone 1.62 miles. On the 3-button, you can't reset it -- so you're constantly trying to figure "Well, I started at a setting 3.69 miles so far today, and it now reads 5.12 miles so far today, so how far have I walked?" Missing the reset button is a deal-killer.

Don't get me wrong, I returned the 3-button and purchased a 4-button. The 4-button is wonderful! Extremely accurate -- even in your pocket.

However, when you order this item (the $21), you get the 3-button model.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 11, 2010 4:59 PM PST

Page: 1 | 2