Profile for Silicon Valley Guy > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 25

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Silicon Valley Guy RSS Feed (Cupertino, CA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Citizen Men's BM8404-59L Eco-Drive "Corso" Two-Tone Stainless Steel Watch
Citizen Men's BM8404-59L Eco-Drive "Corso" Two-Tone Stainless Steel Watch
Price: $206.25
13 used & new from $206.25

5.0 out of 5 stars A great Citizen Eco-drive watch that is sturdy and water resistant, February 17, 2015
I have owned a very slender ("Stiletto") Eco-drive watch for almost 9 years. Bought it on a whim and it has turned out to be a fantastic watch. The Eco-drive works flawlessly. The watch never needs a battery or winding and keeps amazingly accurate time. However the watch is not water resistant and being slender style of watch I am often concerned that I should not wear it if I am planning on doing something active and outdoors. For example: I never wear it to the beach. So I decided to get another Eco-drive but find one that was sturdy and water resistant but not too large for my wrist. I bought the BM84048-59L and have had it several days now. It looks great on my wrist and I can see wearing it both casually and in more formal outings. It is very definitely of a more sturdy construction that my previous Eco-drive and to test its water resistance I filled a cup with water and dropped the watch in. I left it there submerged two times for 5 minutes each and am delighted to report no problem. Interesting side note - when I was at the watch place to get the band fitted to my wrist I asked about water resistance. The repair person told me that having the watch in cold and then hot water is what is most likely to cause condensation to occur - i.e. going from hot to cold to hot.

I can recommend Eco-drive without reservation based on the 9 years of experience with my first Citizens watch. And I am - so far- very pleased with this more sturdy water resistant version. One final point - the black background on the watch face definitely changes its appearance slightly as your tilt and turn the watch in the light. The black is (to me) more of a dusty greyish black and definitely not a deep dark black. Whatever it is called - I like it. It makes the gold colored hands and hour points really pop. A great watch !

iPhone 6 Plus Case, Spigen® [AIR CUSHION] iPhone 6 Plus (5.5) Case Bumper **NEW** [Ultra Hybrid Series] [Champagne Gold] Air Cushion Technology Corners Bumper Case with Clear Back Panel - ECO-Friendly Packaging - Bumper Case for iPhone 6 Plus (5.5) (2014) - Champagne Gold (SGP10895)
Offered by Spigen Inc
Price: $14.99
13 used & new from $7.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks great and improves your grip on the iPhone 6 Plus, December 3, 2014
Upgrading from the iPhone 5 to the iPhone 6 Plus I knew I was taking a risk getting the bigger 6 Plus. But my hands are relatively big and I very much liked the bigger screen. So I went ahead and ordered the 6 Plus. Having done that, I was definitely looking for a case/protector that gave me improved grip for the 6 Plus.

I have had the 6 Plus and with the Spigen air cushion case now for about 6 weeks and I am quite pleased. The bumpers on the case improve my grip on the 6 Plus but at the same time are not overly large and/or sticky. The case is quite attractive and the clear screen on the back shows off the champagne colored back quite nicely.

To repeat one comment already made - when I got the Spigen, there were no real instructions accompanying the case. I knew there were two protective covers on the back screen - one on either side of the screen. Initially hesitant, I ended up scraping away with my fingernail at the top left corner to try and remove the inside protective cover. After several attempts, I finally got a grip on a corner of the inside protective cover and it came right off. And there was no damage to the actual screen itself. So - as others have said, go ahead and use your fingernail and have confidence that it will not scratch the back screen. The Spigen case was quite easy to install over the iPhone 6 Plus.

One slight downside - the Spigen covers the on/off switch which is located on the right hand side of the iPhone 6 Plus. However in order to turn off the iPhone, you have to hold down the on/off button for a couple of seconds. In order to apply and hold that much pressure, I had to grip the other side of the iPhone. Almost directly opposite the on/off switch are the volume + and - buttons located on the left edge of the iPhone. So at first, whenever I tried to turn off the iPhone, at the same time I was either lowering or raising the ringer volume. It took me some time to learn to move my fingers on the left side down lower in order to miss those volume buttons when I was trying to turn off the iPhone.

To date I am happy to say I have not dropped the iPhone - so I cannot report how well the case protects the phone in those circumstances.

Overall - Recommended.

Epica Precision Pro Digital Body Fat Scale 400 lb. Capacity & Auto Recognition Technology

5.0 out of 5 stars Great looking, accurate scale, December 3, 2014
As luck would have it, my old trusty but very simple home scale stopped working just as I started a 5 session personal training regimen at my gym. So I needed to get a new scale. As part of the initial personal training session, not only my weight but my body mass index was calculated. I was surprised at how high it was and so when I went online to research a replacement home scale, the ability to accurate calculate and display the BMI was a must-have for me.

After reading the reviews I ordered the Epica Precision Pro. It arrived in a couple of days and I started using it right away. The scale is simple to use (especially since I am the only one using it), and the display is large, bright and easily readable. Once again as luck would have it, shortly after I got it, I was scheduled for my annual physical review with my MD. I asked him to check my weight and BMI and was delighted that his results were almost exactly the same as what the Epica displayed that morning. As a second check, my weight that was displayed on the more elaborate sliding weight scale used at the gym and my weight displayed on the Epica at home were within a pound or two. So the Epica checked out just great.

Works great; is accurate and looks sleek and modern. I recommend it.

Impressive Guard Apple iPhone 6 Plus 5.5" Premium Tempered Glass Screen Protector + Lifetime Limited Warranty For Phones On AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint, and All Carriers - Retail Packaging
Offered by FOCUS E PARTS
Price: $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick and easy installation. Recommended !, October 31, 2014
I received my iPhone 6 Plus yesterday and installed the Impressive Guard glass screen today. I was a bit apprehensive since I have used screen protectors on both my previous phones - the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 5 - and every installation attempt was quite difficult and frustrating. On the iPhone 5 - I bought a package of the protectors and had to use 3 or 4 to finally get one into the right position without destroying the adhesive backing. Even then there were a couple of dust particles underneath - but no way was I going to rip it off and start afresh.

This installation was very different. Opened the package and immediately saw a note saying that the glass screen was slightly smaller than the display on the 6 Plus. In addition there was a small cloth that I used to clean the 6's screen to the max. The glass screen came with one side (the back which went directly onto the 6's display) protected by a plastic cover that had a tab marked #1 that I eventually used to pull off the backing. With the back protector still on, I practiced positioning the glass screen in the correct alignment. When I was ready, I held my breath (to minimize the chance of air flow and dust particles) and pulled off the backing and proceeded to align and then attach it to the 6's display. I started at the top and then proceeded to sort of lay the glass screen down on the 6's display. It went down quickly and easily and was perfectly in position on the first try. Then the glass screen seemed to attach itself more firmly to the 6's display by itself. As it was attaching, I could see the glass screen sort of disappearing from view as it completed the attachment process. Within a couple of seconds the process was complete without me having to do anything else. There was one bubble (sort of) that was visible which I easily eliminated using the small cleaning cloth included in the package. Amazingly easy and quick. I am not sure how it all happened, but it worked for me. Highly recommended !

Laminated Florence Map by Borch (English Edition)
Laminated Florence Map by Borch (English Edition)
by H Frommer
Edition: Map
Price: $9.95
29 used & new from $6.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely love the Borch laminated maps !, February 1, 2014
I have used the Borch laminated maps for my trips to Europe and while it might be old-fashioned in today's digital world, I absolutely love these maps. So consider this a review of Borch maps in general Here's why I love them so much:

1. I get a terrific overview of the town and general area I am visiting. The map gives you several views of the town - from high level overview to great detail of the town center. On the detail maps, important sights and locations are highlighted with a numbered box which refers to a legend on the side with a description of what's there. The overview that you get from this map is worth the price of the map alone.

2. Being laminated and made out of stiff material - this map is bullet proof. Even so - it folds down to a minimum of 9.5" by 4.25" width and fits quite easily into my messenger bag. Rain will not damage it at all.

3. Again due to its rugged construction, when walking around a typical downtown section of an old European city, you can fold the map to have just the relevant section showing - and not worry about damaging the map.

4. There is a list of streets with map coordinates to assist you in that manner.

5. Public transportation lines, and bus and train stations are noted on the map, along with tourist sights, churches, post offices, theaters and police stations.

As for map app's available today - I think Google maps on a smartphone is probably better for getting walking or public transportation directions. But for getting an overview of the town and to plan out a general game plan for the most efficient way to get around a city, these maps are - in my opinion - superior. And these maps work all the time. If you need directions from a local resident, the directions can be pointed out to you on the map with no language barrier.

If available, I always take a Borch map with me to the town I am visiting. Well worth the relatively low price. HIghest possible recommendation.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 8, 2014 5:34 PM PST

Design Go Luggage Clip Pouch, Black, One Size
Design Go Luggage Clip Pouch, Black, One Size
Price: $10.95
6 used & new from $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and secure travel wallet, February 1, 2014
I am always on the lookout for really clever and useful travel accessories. And sometimes I do travel to locations that have an unfortunate reputation for pick pockets or thieves. So looking for a way to carry money and credit cards with me in those towns in the most secure way possible, I found this waist wallet with a clip. I have had it a couple of days and here is my experience with it to date.

First off - there is absolutely no way this pouch/wallet could be smaller. As noted by previous reviewers, inserting a standard sized credit card requires some maneuvering to insert it at an angle and then push it in. Once in the pouch, you must then maneuver it again to slide it up and under the top flap of the pouch which allows you to pull the zipper closed. As you can imagine, removing one credit card from the pouch also takes a bit of pulling/maneuvering - but not overly so. The clip is a strong good-sized metal clip and the back of the pouch is relatively soft slightly fuzzy material. Good design point.

For my test I filled the pouch with 3 credit cards and my drivers license - which is the same size as the standard US credit card, but thicker. Then 12 pieces of US currency which had to be folded twice. At that point the pouch was essentially at maximum capacity. I positioned the pouch on the inside of my jeans with the clip sliding over the top of the jeans at the waist. For location - it was clipped directly behind the coin pocket on the right hand side of the jeans. For maximum security, I then made sure that my belt went over the metal clip. Once in place - I was surprised to discover I almost did not notice the pouch. I then proceeded to walk around for a couple of hours and frankly never felt it during that time - again much to my surprise. From time to time I would touch the end of the black metal clip that extended below my belt just to make sure it was still there.

I think that when I purchase something and need a credit card, I will have to take the pouch out ahead of time so that I can have the credit card ready to pay the bill. But that should not be a big deal.

In my opinion this pouch, positioned as I did, decreases the risk of theft or loss of the wallet about as much as possible. Highly recommended for the use described in this review.

Microbeam Travel Clock
Microbeam Travel Clock
Offered by Brookstone
Price: $29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost exactly what I was looking for, February 1, 2014
This review is from: Microbeam Travel Clock (Misc.)
OK - let me start off by explaining what I was looking for. I decided I needed a travel clock that was sized for traveling yet had easily readable numbers, displayed the time, date and day of the week and had a good alarm to wake me up. And if it included a flashlight, that was an extra bonus that would be great. I got the Microbeam travel clock a couple of days ago and here is my experience with it.

The battery cover is essentially the entire back of the clock. Using your fingernail, you have to push up on the locking latch and at the same time get your other fingernail to sort of pry out the rather large battery cover. I had no problem that first time or any other time since. You do need to be a bit careful and not overpower the plastic, but I found it to be not a big challenge. Because this travel clock also includes 2 LED lights in the base, 4 AAA batteries are required - which leads me to the biggest downside to this clock: weight when the batteries are in.

Once you have the batteries in, directly beneath the batteries you will find almost all of the buttons/switches (the remaining controls are on each side of the clock) used for setting the date, time, year (for correct day of the week) and alarm. The setup is pretty logical/standard and I was able to successfully set everything on the first try.

The front display has: date, day of the week, time, alarm indicator (on/off/snooze enabled only) and ambient temperate in either F or C. The display does not tell you the time the alarm is set for. The only alarm tone is a single beep, followed by a 2 beep sequence, followed by a 3 beep sequence increasing to a maximum 5 beep sequence with the volume increasing slightly with each increment. That works fine for me.

The control on the left side of the clock controls the LED light. It can be locked off (for when it is in the suitcase), always on, or sensor controlled which means it comes on when the clock is lifted up off the table. The light is excellent and another feature I needed. The controls on the right side control the alarm - on, off or snooze enabled. The snooze button is on the top of the clock. That same button turns on about a 10 second backlight so you can see the display at night.

Overall I am quite happy. Biggest downside is the weight of the clock when the 4 AAA batteries are installed. And it would have been a nice feature if you could display the time of the alarm without having to take off the battery cover on the back. If you are looking for the same features that I was looking for - I recommend it. Brookstone has a 30 day money back guarantee on this product.

Sep14 Update: Used the travel clock on month long trip to Europe. It performed exactly as I wanted. Big numbers for the time which were easy to see without my glasses; alarm that would no doubt wake me up; and a handy and strong flashlight that comes on when you lift the clock off the table that was necessary for wandering around at night. Only downside is the weight from the 4 AAA batteries. Still recommended if you can live with the weight.

Collapsible Market Tote - Black
Collapsible Market Tote - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding !, January 29, 2014
All of the cities around where I live have prohibited the use of plastic bags that were always used in grocery stores here. So I went online to buy this Reisenthel shopping bag that I had seen in Germany. I have been using it now for about 9 months and give it a hearty 5 star rating.

For my needs it is absolutely perfect. I shop for just myself so I do not need to buy for several people for several weeks. I prefer doing more frequent but smaller purchase runs. It is simply perfect for that. I fill it up and then unload it at the checkout stand (or the self-checkout) and then fill it back up and am on my way. It holds an amazing amount of stuff and the padded handle makes carrying heavy loads no problem.

I store it in the trunk of my car with the handle down and it fits in neatly and does not rattle around. I often get compliments from people in line with me about this basket.

Highly recommended for people who shop for one maybe two people for 3- 4 days worth of goods or food. If you are shopping for a family of 4 for a week or more - this will probably not work for you.

Travelon Luggage Large Display Travel Alarm Clock, Silver, One Size
Travelon Luggage Large Display Travel Alarm Clock, Silver, One Size
Price: $16.46
5 used & new from $13.20

1.0 out of 5 stars Returning it tomorrow, January 29, 2014
I bought this item because it looked like a good travel clock for my needs. I knew it was on the big side but I was willing to be flexible on that in return for what seemed like a good travel clock with large numbers, date, time and an alarm. I realize I am a sample size of 1, but here is my experience:

I received it yesterday and started playing with it today. First impression was not good. It has a very cheap and flimsy feel to it. Started off by installing 2 AAA batteries and then setting the time and the date. So far so good. But setting the correct date DID NOT result in the correct day of the week. A problem others reported. I played with it for about 20-30 minutes and never could get it to display that Jan 29 was a Wed. It thought it was a Friday and I could not change it's mind.

So I thought I would take out the batteries to power it down and start all over. As I extracted battery number 1, the small spring in the battery compartment came loose from it's base. That did it for me. I will be starting the return process tomorrow.

One more comment - I was exploring the alarm feature and was cycling through the 8 or 9 available alarm sounds. None of them were very good. A second datapoint for the cheap feel to this alarm clock. As for being too big to be a travel clock - while I definitely would not want it to be any bigger, I personally did not find it too big to be a travel alarm clock - had everything else been in order.

Flimsy and cheap feel with features that do not work - do not recommend.

Men's Yellow Tone, Citizen Stiletto Eco-Drive Watc
Men's Yellow Tone, Citizen Stiletto Eco-Drive Watc

5.0 out of 5 stars My new daily watch, December 10, 2013
About 4-5 years ago I was in a local watch store and as I waiting for service I browsed through the watches on display. This one caught my eye and I ended up treating myself and bought it. It has become my favorite everyday watch and I wear it almost all the time. I very much like the Stiletto design as I have a small wrist and being thinner it fits my wrist better and I hardly notice I have the watch on. I find the appearance to be classic and elegant and am comfortable wearing it even on special occasions.

The Eco-drive works as advertised. Even though I put it in a drawer every night and take it out in the morning the watch is always running. In addition, the accuracy of the watch is simply amazing even over long periods of time. I am a stickler for accurate time and I think I have adjusted this watch by at most one minute only 2 maybe 3 times since I bought it. That aspect of the watch was a very pleasant surprise. I do try to keep watch away from water.

Thin, lightweight, elegant, classy, accurate and solar powered, I find this watch to be exactly what I would ask for in a watch. Highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3