Profile for Amazon Fan > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 20

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Fan "Gail" RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
iPhone 6 Plus Case, Spigen [HEAVY DUTY] Tough Armor Case for iPhone 6 Plus (5.5-Inch) - Champagne Gold (SGP10916)
Price: $22.99
12 used & new from $13.88

4.0 out of 5 stars Stylish with the right amount of protection, March 1, 2015
You can find less expensive cases, but this case does its job and looks good too. I bought the Champagne Gold color which perfectly matches the color of my iPhone. I wanted an extra layer of support to avoid the earlier hyped iPhone bending issues. This case fits like a glove and is lightweight, preserving the look and feel of the iPhone itself. However, it provides the extra support you need. The case is rigid enough and strong, yet you can pop the iPhone out without much effort. Pressing the buttons through the case buttons works fine. The case has a little bit of black rubber around the edges that makes it easier to grip. However, the rubber is so smooth and does not fully cover the edges, hence I expect other cases do a better job here. I accidentally dropped it once about 3 feet onto my hardwood floor - face down - when it fell out of a sweater pocket as I took a step. The case juts out ever so slightly around the front of the phone providing a bumper. It was just enough to protect the screen from the drop. All was good and I was very happy. I never use the kickstand. It works for me, but it does seem cheap.

PhoneProp - Universal Fit Soft Flexible SmartPhone Stand - Durable FDA High Grade Silicone - Color Black
Offered by GadgetStands
Price: $14.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive resting place that even supports the iPhone 6 Plus, March 1, 2015
This little unit does what it was made to do. I bought it for my iPhone 6 Plus. I was concerned that the backrest might not be tall enough to provide good stability. If it was designed specifically for this phone, I'd expect the backrest to be taller, but I've never felt that it wasn't secure and would fall out. I use this mostly as a docking station/resting place for my iPhone. I like that the unit is soft and flexible, small and portable. It is better than laying my phone down on a desk or table. It is an inexpensive way to give the phone a home and a place to recharge, which also makes it easier to find. Though I can use the phone while it is on the PhoneProp, if I push too hard the bottom lifts up a little, especially in the vertical position. My preference is generally to pick up the phone when I use it.

Zippy Pop Stainless Steel Stovetop Popcorn Popper with Glass Lid, 5-1/2 Quart Capacity
Offered by MT BAKER MERCANTILE
Price: $79.99

5.0 out of 5 stars All the reviews are true, but it is still the perfect stovetop popper, March 1, 2015
I read so many reviews before buying the Pop and Roast Stainless Steel Stovetop Popcorn Popper. I went with the stainless steal vs. aluminum due to health concerns. Some of the reviews scared me: the paddles were so high that they didn't move the kernels at the bottom of the pan; the paddles didn't extend out far enough to get to the popcorn at the edges; you need three hands to twist the crank, hold the pot, and put in the flavorings; the lid steams up so you can't really see what is happening all that well, etc. These are all true statements, but surprisingly, it doesn't matter. The fact is that this unit makes perfect popcorn every time with very little unpopped kernels. The flavor far surpasses microwave popcorn, and the unit is versatile. So far I've made traditional popcorn (many times) and kettle corn (very good but I prefer traditional). I start by putting in 2 heaping tablespoons of organic coconut oil into the pan and turn my gas stove to medium-high heat. When the oil melts, I sprinkle in 1/3 cup of organic popcorn from Trader Joe's. As soon as the first couple of corns pop, I start turning the handle. When the popping slows down considerably, I turn off the heat, but keep turning the crank, as the instructions tell you to do. I take my hands off for just a few seconds and toss in a tablespoon of butter via the flavor hole and then turn the crank a few more times to get the butter to mix in thoroughly. The butter immediately melts into the popcorn. Then I lift the pan up, take off the lid and dump the whole thing into a big bowl that is already positioned next to the stove. Finally, I take the sea salt grinder and grind in a few twists of salt and mix it in by hand. The whole process including cleaning the pan takes less than 15 minutes. The popcorn is perfect! The pan is big enough that you probably could use 1/2 cup of popcorn, as I see from the reviews that others have done this successfully, even though the instructions recommend 1/3 cup. I imagine in that situation that turning the crank would become a little harder, possibly due to the second set of paddles that are stationary. My guess is that you will be very pleased with this purchase and will find that you eat more popcorn than ever.

Sure Fit Stretch Pique Dinning Room Chair Slipcover, Green
Sure Fit Stretch Pique Dinning Room Chair Slipcover, Green

4.0 out of 5 stars Make your old chairs new again, November 30, 2013
I made the mistake of buying off white colored fabric chairs that are now full of smudges. They looked terrible, but the chairs themselves were in great condition. I researched getting custom upholstery, but the cost was hundreds of dollars per chair. Boy, was I happy to find these. If you like what you see in the picture, then you will like these slip covers. I've had mine for over a year now and they still look as you see in this photo - no wear and no smudge marks! My chairs have a padded back and seat. You need to stretch the fabric and play around a little to get it to look smooth and centered, but then you are done. It isn't perfect, but the alternative is not really an option. I love the muted green color. They match my decor and look fantastic during the winter holiday.

Gator Cases GKPE-88-TSA 88 Note Keyboard Case with wheels TSA Latches
Gator Cases GKPE-88-TSA 88 Note Keyboard Case with wheels TSA Latches
Price: $399.99
17 used & new from $399.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good case except for the handles!, November 30, 2013
The good news is that this keyboard case will fit my monster Yamaha s90xs keyboard, which is larger than most keyboards with 88 keys. It is a solid case with good padding and protection for most travel needs. It is designed with TSA latches for checking it on an airplane; though, I cannot evaluate its ruggedness for that type of use. However, the two handles on the ends are not of professional, industrial quality needed for lifting and carrying a 50+ pound keyboard. On the new case I bought, one handle was already angled beyond where it should naturally stop and was on the verge of breaking. Once broken, the handle would go all the way up and my knuckles would be smashed against the case. I did not wait for this to happen and returned it.

Yamaha HS5 Powered Studio Monitor
Yamaha HS5 Powered Studio Monitor
Price: $199.99
54 used & new from $160.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Keyboard Playing at Home, November 30, 2013
I play the keyboard ( Yamaha s90xs ) at home and was using a used professional keyboard amp, but wasn't happy with the piano sounds. I was concerned that the built-in keyboard voices just weren't to my liking; however, all that changed when I got these babies. I read that keyboardists were beginning to prefer stereo monitors over keyboard amps. I tried these and the HS7s at a local music store and ended up taking the HS5s home. The sound improvement was night and day. Suddenly my flat tone had clarity, was richer, with full resonance and beautiful sustain. I could not be happier. I have these in a large room in front of my keyboard - temporarily on a desk and on isolation pads pointed at me. I did not adjust the room controls and set the volume in the center (as instructed) and then just past the center. I find I need to turn the keyboard volume up higher, but love the sound. I liked the HS7s too, but for the price, I went with the HS5s. If you like a deeper tone, strong bass, and play different voices/performances, you may want the larger woofer. I like the brighter piano sound and always have the option of adding the HS10W subwoofer later in the event that I want to experiment with more instrumentation. Note: These are not road worthy, there is no grill to protect the woofer; thus they should be used in a studio or home setting.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 30, 2014 5:59 PM PDT

Virtual Active - American Northeast Hike
Virtual Active - American Northeast Hike
DVD ~ Johnny Pearman
Offered by Virtual Active
Price: $19.95
2 used & new from $19.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for a motivational yet serene workout, February 17, 2013
Virtual Active provides a 35 minute workout that helps you simulate the experience of hiking through beautiful trails in the Northeast during the fall foliage season. It provide a visual stimulus that is missing when just listening to music, and I find it better than watching a TV program that engages the mind, but has nothing to do with your physical activity (kind of like patting your head and rubbing your stomach at the same time). The DVD menu provides two viewing options: Guided Hike or Basic Hike. The Basic Hike shows only the nature hike and you can choose to hear just the nature sounds of the surrounding environment (birds and water) or include a music track (which I find to be uninspired, techno/drum machine music) along with the nature sounds. The Guided Hike is the same as the Basic Hike except that a trainer pops up every so often in a box in the top left side of the screen to provide instructions and motivational guidance. Also at the top left of the screen is a suggested "Rate of Perceived Exertion" (RPE) level (using your individual scale to match your physical abilities) for changing your workout pace.

I had conceived of such a product awhile back and was glad to find out that it actually exists. It isn't perfectly executed, but it is very good. The vantage point seems to be a person that is about 6 feet tall. The camera just glides in the direction of the trail at a steady pace. The pace seems a little fast for a hiker. The camera goes over rocks and steep inclines so effortlessly! Occasionally, you see other hikers on the trail and they step aside to let the camera (who is now you) go right by. When you reach the end of the trail you might come to a beautiful waterfall or vista. The camera scans the vista (though a little quickly) and then you are off to hike the next trail. At the end, there is a five minute cool down period where you get to revisit the beautiful sites without the rush.

I own several of the Virtual Active Hiking videos. I enjoy the Northeast video the best (maybe because I live in the Northeast). On all of the videos, I have questioned some of the trail choices as they are not all consistently spectacular. I have my treadmill in front of my 60" TV. I turn on the Basic Hike video, add my own music for inspiration, turn on the fan, and turn out the lights so that I feel like I'm actually on a hike. One time I sprayed some forest scent for more realism, but that was going too far. ;-)

Furinno Adjustable Vented Laptop Table Laptop Computer Desk Portable Bed Tray Book Stand Multifuctional & Ergonomics Design Dual Layer Tabletop up to 17"
Price: $54.75
11 used & new from $43.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for adjustable beds, November 20, 2012
I have an adjustable bed and needed a laptop stand that could adjust to my multiple seating angles. This item fits the bill! There are 3 buttons on each leg that you press to rotate the legs from 0 to 180 degrees in one direction and 0 to -150 degrees in the other. The top button adjusts the angle of the tray top. You can lock in any position in 15 degree increments. I never had a problem with adjusting the legs (as some reviewers have mentioned). You just press the button in and rotate the leg. When you release the button you may need to rotate slightly more until it hits the next 15 degree increment and the button pops out and locks the position automatically. You need to read the positions of the one leg and do the same to the other leg to get the needed symmetry. My laptop is just short of 14" wide and I have another 4" for my mouse. When typing on the laptop, the top gives some, but it doesn't bother me. When the top is tilted the mouse slides down to the bottom edge, which is a pain, but not totally unexpected. All-in-all I am quite pleased. In my work, I can't take a break even when I get sick and sitting at a desk at night after being at a desk all day doesn't always appeal.

ELECTROVOICE PL84S Condenser Microphone for Vocals
ELECTROVOICE PL84S Condenser Microphone for Vocals

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Sopranos singing normal songs, April 1, 2012
The bad thing about buying microphones is that most stores will not let you return a microphone due to health reasons (i.e. you breathed into it), so how can you choose a microphone that is right for your voice? I'm one of those choir sopranos with a clear voice that rings when the notes are high, but I have little bottom end and mid-range. My husband let me try his Shure microphone, which is a standard for rock, blues, and country band singers, but it did nothing for me. I had an old EV microphone that I liked and wanted to up-level. I had no idea what a "condenser" mic would do for me, but heard it was better than dynamic microphones, so I thought I'd give it a try. My budget was around $100 so I picked up the EV PL84S for $89, but have since seen it on sale for as low as $39. In all the ads, EV claims that this mic is as good as other condenser microphones at twice the price. I don't know if this is true, but I can say that I really love this mic! It gives a warmth and fullness to my low and mid range that I never had and makes singing "normal" pop and folk songs so much fun, because I sound so much better! Unlike the Shure microphone, this microphone also supports my dynamic range - especially when I sing those high notes. The Shure made the highs sound screechy, but, as advertised, the EV PL84s makes the highs more silky. It makes me sound the way I'd like to sound and the way I often hear myself in my inner ear. And at such a reasonable price too! I've read that this microphone is not intended for super big spaces where you need it to be loud; rather, it is great in a small venue and studio setting, which suits me. When I use it with my TC-Helicon VoiceTone Harmony-G XT Vocal Effects Processor for singing harmonies with myself, the sound is beyond what I thought was possible. Many microphones don't have a switch, but I find it useful - especially when clearing my throat.

One hitch when buying a "condenser" mic is that it needs power to operate. Before I could test it, I bought the Nady SMPS-1X 1-Channel 48V Phantom Power Supply for SCM Series Microphones for $25. The Phantom Power Supply plugs into an outlet and you need 2 microphone cables: one from the microphone to the power supply (input) and one from the power supply (output) to your PA/speaker.

Kothai Jabo
Kothai Jabo

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Soothing, March 25, 2012
This review is from: Kothai Jabo (MP3 Music)
I bought the title song and love it. I don't understand the language, but it is very beautiful and fits the melodic ballad perfectly.

Page: 1 | 2