Profile for geekacres > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 333

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

geekacres "geekacres" RSS Feed (Pennsylvania, USA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Big Bang Theory Series 1 Mystery Mini (Styles Vary) Blind Box
Big Bang Theory Series 1 Mystery Mini (Styles Vary) Blind Box
Offered by Think Fast
Price: $8.71
13 used & new from $3.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Bazinga!, July 21, 2015
Some great looking figures, featuring everyone's favorite nerds. I got a Sheldon in Superman Tee, complete with a roommate agreement. A great shot of vinyl pop culture for your computer desk or cubicle.

Amazon Gift Card - Email - Happy Birthday (Candles)
Amazon Gift Card - Email - Happy Birthday (Candles)
Price: $50.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gift card, July 19, 2015
Great for last minute gifting, or when you're not sure what to get.

Belkin MIXIT Power Pack 4000 mAh with 6-Inch Micro USB Cable for Mobile Devices (Black)
Price: $29.99
3 used & new from $24.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Keeps the juice flowing, June 17, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Like so many others, mobile digital devices have enhanced my life. But those devices need juice, and charging them at home before hitting the road won't always get you through the day. I've tried bigger batteries for the devices that allow it, external batteries integrated into the case, and I've even tried to go green with solar chargers. So along comes Belkin's MIXIT, and their promise to not leave my devices high and dry. The device is easy to charge and monitor. If you can plug in a USB and read read some LEDs on the device, you're good to go. Great for roadtrips, especially for my son in the backseat watching movies on his iPod Touch. We like to keep it charged and ready for impromptu road trips, and for those times when a summer storm knocks out the electricity. Tough to call the phone company, or monitor status updates, if the cell phone isn't charged. And thats kind of the point. This device is meant to be supplemental. A backup. It does get a bit warm when in use for extended times. That said, - great in a pinch - for keeping those digital devices going.

Crescent CX6PT20 X6 Pass-Through Ratchet and Sockets, 20-Piece
Crescent CX6PT20 X6 Pass-Through Ratchet and Sockets, 20-Piece
Price: $28.56
25 used & new from $25.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great everyday tasker, May 28, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This socket set is pretty useful. It came in handy this week while servicing our Kubota lawn tractor. Perfect for tightening the random bolt. Especially useful when loosening the bracket that held in the battery. The pass through aspect may not always be needed, but wow did it stand out for that battery task. The shade tree mechanic who gave me a hand thought that the set looked useful for most everyday tasks but was concerned that the socket "teeth", which allow for multiple types of bolt heads, could round off rusted nuts. Its also a minor thing, but I wasn't really crazy about the tray that the set is stored in. It is set up so that it could easily be hung on a peg board in a workshop. That said, the tray didn't seem to be the sturdiest construction. The ratchet set itself is very sturdy and looks like it will hold up over the years. At the end of the day, this Crescent ratchet set provides some pretty good bang for the buck and will prove to be a valuable addition to your toolbox.

DII 100% Cotton, Machine Washable  Heavy Duty Canvas Reusable Shopping Tote Bag, Natural and Eggplant Damask, Set of 3
DII 100% Cotton, Machine Washable Heavy Duty Canvas Reusable Shopping Tote Bag, Natural and Eggplant Damask, Set of 3
Price: $20.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful & Earth Friendly, May 27, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a pretty nice set of bags. It included one natural/beige colored bag. The second was a solid eggplant(purple) color. And the third was a bit more 'designer' looking bag, with a purple design and plain purple handles. All three are solidly built and are perfect for keeping in your trunk when you stop by the local market. Good looking, and "green" to boot. That said, the one thing I would have preferred was the panel that is often present in such bags so that the bag stands on its own while being loaded. For that, I docked it one star. But, all in all, this is a valuable set of canvas bags - great for groceries and other uses.

Nike Zoom Structure + 16 (WIDE) Running Shoes
Nike Zoom Structure + 16 (WIDE) Running Shoes

4.0 out of 5 stars My 5k shoe of choice, May 26, 2015
I run one or two 5k's each summer and these work pretty well. I need my Structures in the wide width and it helps with my pronation. Not sure if they'd be solid for running longer distances like a half or full marathon. But for me they are fine for training and running a few miles.

Flash: Season 1 Blu-ray
Flash: Season 1 Blu-ray
DVD ~ Various
Price: $44.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Another hit for DC, May 8, 2015
This review is from: Flash: Season 1 Blu-ray (Blu-ray)
While its true that DC has yet to achieve the consistent success of Marvel's big screen Cinematic Universe, they have been rocking the small screen. Arrow: Season 3 continues to tell entertaining stories, and it has been a real benefit as The Flash finds its footing during season 1. Some serious universe building has helped us to immerse ourselves in the ongoing story of Barry Allen. When a lab accident grants a forensic investigator(Grant Gustin) with super speed, he decides to be a force for good in his city. Newfound friends Caitlin(Danielle Panabaker), Cisco(Carlos Valdes), and Dr Harrison Wells(Tom Cavanaugh) help Barry to understand and harness his speed ability and to channel this force for the benefit of Central City.

The first season is a nice mix of "monster of the week" metahumans and established Flash villains. Captain Cold, Gorilla Grodd, and The Trickster all take their turn at wreaking havoc in Central City. Additionally, in a genius casting move, John Wesley Shipp(who played The Flash in Pilot (The Flash)) is tapped to play Barry's dad. Meanwhile, Amanda Pays(who was a regular in the earlier Flash show) returns to play Dr. Tina McGee, a former colleague of Doctor Wells. Newcomers to the series should find a lot to like, while old school fans will enjoy the nods to what has come before. And, as I stated earlier, the crossover visits featuring the Arrow regulars really helps us feel that these heroes are not just fighting crime in their own bubble.

If you've read The Flash in the past, you should check out the show. If you've watched Arrow, and somehow resisted... you need to check out the show. If you like a weekly adventure in a well developed superhero universe - well, you know. The first season of The Flash will make you a fan.

Panasonic DMC-ZS45K LUMIX 20X Zoom Camera with Wink-Activated Selfie Feature (Black)
Offered by Beach Camera Same Day Shipping
Price: Click here to see our price
47 used & new from $195.17

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Zoom on a Point & Shoot, April 29, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I know many people who rely on a phone as their primary portable camera. But when I go on vacation I want something with more flexibility. I want a camera that will not only take a good picture, but will allow me to get in close. I do own a full-bodied Nikon DSLR. But I have always preferred to have a "point and shoot" camera in my repertoire. This Lumix really fits the bill nicely.

The main thing that I was attracted to was its 20x optical zoom. Its certainly thicker and heavier than my Olympus VR-340 16MP Digital Camera with 10x Optical Zoom (White) (Old Model). But not by much, especially when you consider that nice juicy zoon that is found in this camera. It really gives you the opportunity to get in nice and close to your subject. The zoom rocker is conveniently located around the trigger and very easy to use.

I'm also a big fan on the generous LCD on the back of the camera. The viewfinder has all but disappeared from today's digital point and shoot and this screen provides all of the essential information needed to both take and review your pictures. An added bonus on this camera is the ability to flip the screen up, providing for an easy to use "selfie mode". I found the "wink trigger" to be a bit of a gimmick, but the flip screen is still a solid feature.

I do have to say its a little disappointing that the camera does not include an SD card. Its probably a cost cutting measure, especially considering that many people may have one sitting around, or that they can transfer from a previous camera. The Lumix does have a little bit of onboard storage, but not much. With additional features like HD video and burst mode, there's certainly many more positives to focus on. I'm looking forward to taking this camera on the next family trip.

Radio Flyer Kid's Ultimate EZ The Best Folding Wagon Ride On
Radio Flyer Kid's Ultimate EZ The Best Folding Wagon Ride On
Offered by Quidsi Retail LLC
Price: $271.38
14 used & new from $196.29

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot to like in this Lil Red Wagon, April 27, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My wife and I picked this up to use with our one year old son. Assembly was easy and straight forward, almost to the point of questioning why it was not done at the factory. Build quality seems to be great. The wagon is sturdy when open and has an overall quality feel to it. The canopy is a nice added convenience to this wagon, though the finish of the canopy seemed to be of somewhat lower quality. There were quite a few loose ends and strings that needed trimmed up from the sewing. No big deal and 2 minutes later, all was good.

Fortunately, we received the wagon the week before a local amusement park was set to open. This park has a variety of terrains from small hills, to loose stone, to paved sidewalk, and of course grass. We decided this would be a great test of our new toy and decided to go for a drive. The stroller was easy to load into our mid-size car’s trunk with little effort. Once arriving at the park, setting up the stroller was a 3 second job. The snaps for the canopy were a little difficult for my wife to get secured; otherwise there were no issues with the set up. One issue we noticed right away was a lack of storage. Our son wanted to sit in the back of the wagon, so we thought we would throw the diaper bag in the front. We certainly had some issues with the bag wanting to stay in place. I am not sure what we would have done if we had two children with us, other than still carrying the bag.

We toted our little one around the park for several hours. We noticed that the wagon seemed to do very well on all of the terrain, especially where some other wagons were having issues. Turning the wagon was easy, though the maneuverability takes some time to get accustomed to versus a “regular” wagon. The day was a mix of sun and clouds and the canopy proved to be a nice feature shading our son from the sun. Nearing the end of our excursion, we decided to take down the canopy and quickly realized again, that there is a lack of storage in this wagon. There is no good way to put the canopy down and bring it with you. Attempting to put the poles into the wagon provided our son with a new sword toy. Also the folded canopy kept trying to come open. Finally we placed it under the diaper bag. At the end of our day, we returned to our vehicle and had a slight issue with the wagon wanting to roll away on its own. This was fixed by simply kicking the front tires out to stop them from rolling. Folding the unit was a breeze; though my wife did have some issues getting the unit completely locked closed (the seat belt was pinched).

Overall this seems to be a solid unit. It is compact, yet sturdy and lives up to our expectations of what a Radio Flyer should be. The only real complaints we have are a lack of storage options and no real solution to store the canopy when not in use. We had a quite a few people stop and ask us about the wagon and did not see another one like it in the park. There were several other folding wagons there that day and most of the parents seemed to like the fact that Radio Flyer had seatbelts where their wagons did not. After our short experience with this wagon, we are fairly confident this will be a great wagon. We recommended it several times to other parents at the park and overall the wagon was a hit.

Batman: The Killing Joke (Deluxe Edition)
Batman: The Killing Joke (Deluxe Edition)
Price: $8.78

4.0 out of 5 stars One Bad Day, April 22, 2015
So for years I have been hearing people go on and on about The Killing Joke. Its the definitive Joker tale. You have to read it to appreciate Barbara Gordon's journey from Batgirl to Oracle. I heard all of the claims and I just never got around to tracking it down. Enter the realm of the digital comic.
With this ultimate DC tale at my fingertips, I made the decision and picked up the Allan Moore story of The Joker and the Gordon family. What would happen ? What series of events would unspool that would find The Joker, gun in hand, at Barbara Gordon's doorstep ?

The story starts off with Batman confronting The Joker at Arkham. We get a close look at these two similar sides of a dark coin. As the reader, we are given some real insight how one bad day can change the outcome for an man's story. This Joker is very dark. Much more Heath Ledger, and far less Caesar Romero. The story takes us into The Joker's past and skids sideways through his present. The acts of cruelty spread out in front of the reader truly give us a sense of the tenuous grasp of sanity the Joker barely clings to.

The thing is, I really expected more of Barbara. We get the full-on treatment of the Joker, as he madly cuts a merry swath of brutality through anyone who may stumble across his path. Jim Gordon, Bats, and - yes - Barbara all come away scarred. I'm not sure what it was I was expecting. Its possible I waited too long for The Killing Joke to fully conquer the hype machine. Was it good ? Sure. A solid Batman story ? Yes. The story I expected to rock my world, and change the way I look at the entire Batman universe ? I can't say that it was.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20